Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rant Thread(a place to dump ur baggage)

Options
  • 01-11-2013 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

Am i just a grumpy bollix or is this place full fcukin experts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Am i just a grumpy bollix

Yes, you are.

And that's coming from an expert in grumpy bollix syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Yes and Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Bad morning ??? ;)

hope the rant helped !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thank you Anto, finally quality threads returns to A/R...

[Rant] 5 hour marathon runners who insist that they are as good as the elites and in fact are elite because only 1% of the worlds population will ever do a marathon so that makes them part of a special elite percentile so they are in fact elite; need to discuss this less and speed up more when they have the obvious ability to do so /[Rant]

Can I have another? :)

[Rant] I'm running a race in the Phoeno and I'm finished my water so I'll F@£$ it as hard as I can deep into those side bushes; isn't what runner's do, its what scumbags do /[Rant]

(Someone please make Ultraman a Mod?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    [Rant] 5 hour marathon runners who insist that they are as good as the elites and in fact are elite because only 1% of the worlds population will ever do a marathon so that makes them part of a special elite percentile so they are in fact elite; need to discuss this less and speed up more when they have the obvious ability to do so /[Rant]
    who exactly does this? On boards you mean? Fail to agree. Anyone that was on novices thread who trained hard and got a poor time is feeling far from special as far as I can see. Maybe you mean folks outside of boards. If so, i profusely appologise ;)

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    who exactly does this? On boards you mean? Fail to agree. Anyone that was on novices thread who trained hard and got a poor time is feeling far from special as far as I can see. Maybe you mean folks outside of boards. If so, i profusely appologise ;)

I'm being very specific- a guy actually said this to me during the DM (I paced for a while). Cards on the table, I've the greatest respect for anybody, at any time, who is doing as good as they can do, but there were plenty too who were content to not push themselves... just IMO and what I saw. (and c'mon, bear in mind the title of this thread;))

The ones from the novices thread frankly deserve a second medal for putting up with career_moves self-centered demagoguery, and ham-fisted cut-and-paste from RW threads;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm being very specific- a guy actually said this to me during the DM (I paced for a while). Cards on the table, I've the greatest respect for anybody, at any time, who is doing as good as they can do, but there were plenty too who were content to not push themselves... just IMO and what I saw. (and c'mon, bear in mind the title of this thread;))

thought you were being boards specific ;)

I can see that the 'Rant of the Year' award will
    be hotly contested this year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The ones from the novices thread frankly deserve a second medal for putting up with career_moves self-centered demagoguery, and ham-fisted cut-and-paste from RW threads;)
    You're just jealous Kurt :P

Don't feel bad though - all the novices have pin ups of you on their walls ;)that they throw knives at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Does my bloody head in when complete kn0b$ in cars don't even make any attempt to give you even a couple of foot of room at the side of the road. Are some people that bloody self important that they think we should literally jump into a ditch, just to prevent them from having to make a slight adjustment to their position on the road? Honestly, a few weeks ago, a car was less than 6 inches from wiping me out, nothing on the other side of the road. Mental!!

And while I'm on the subject, I bloody hate it when I give a cyclist a bit of a right of way, say hello to them, only for them to blank you as if you're vermin.

• Advertisement

Drquirky has turned into a right narky bastard of late. He should be along in the next 24 hours with a rant list. I on the other hand think life is brilliant as I sit here shining my DCM 13 medal :)

You're just jealous Kurt :P

Don't feel bad though - all the novices have pin ups of you on their walls ;)that they throw knives at

You're right, I'm dead jealous CM (couldn't even finish the thing myself)- and if I can go against the spirit of this thread, let me say you played a blinder helping the novices, great organisation. I'd say it over there but it would be lost in the dazzle of all that shiney medal polishing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Drquirky has turned into a right narky bastard of late. He should be along in the next 24 hours with a rant list. I on the other hand think life is brilliant as I sit here shining my DCM 13 medal :)

[rant]I'd be shining mine now too but some drunken, fat, baldy bloke stole it off me in McGrattans :mad:[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

rant Running on my local trail this evening. 2 people walking towards me in the c. 200 yards away. 2 dogs off leads running towards me. Barking. Snarling, in close proximity to my trailing legs. Not very nice. Had to check my stride a few times and carefully watch where the dogs were. All the while the owners were shouting after their out of control dogs to come back. Thankfully the situation didn't degrade and my running took me away from the dogs, just as their owners caught up on them to consider putting leads on them, by which time it was too late. rant over

TRR wrote: »

Are you wearing your finishers's t-shirt too ?

menoscemo wrote: »
    [rant]I'd be shining mine now too but some drunken, fat, baldy bloke stole it off me in McGrattans :mad:[/rant]

Drunken? Don't think so at the time. The cranky barman at the front gave me a bag of peanuts for it, fair trade.

Drunken? Don't think so at the time. The cranky barman at the front gave me a bag of peanuts for it, fair trade.

'Don't think so' yet can't remember? :pac:

Another DCM rant; a fella decided to fling his water bottle into the liffey at Chapelizod. I felt like flinging my bottle at his head but didn't wan to risk hitting someone else.

Rant #3. American in our pace group commenting on the pace at each mile marker. After making comment at miles 1-4 at mile 5 he says 'wow the pace is spot on; good job!!' then at mile 6 he declares to the group 'we're on 3:37:30 pace now'. Felt like boxing his head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Rant: Running on a narrow path, two male runners approaching so they go in single file so we can all pass. Later same situation with two female runners but they stay side by side so I have to run into the mud. Not the first time its happened, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I wasn't even there, what're you talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You're right, I'm dead jealous CM (couldn't even finish the thing myself)- and if I can go against the spirit of this thread, let me say you played a blinder helping the novices, great organisation. I'd say it over there but it would be lost in the dazzle of all that shiney medal polishing;)

Just think how differently that Novices thread could have ended up had it not been for some essential ranting in its infancy. Ranting can be good.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I wasn't even there, what're you talking about ?

ah, you're not really fat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

dna_leri wrote: »
    Rant: Running on a narrow path, two male runners approaching so they go in single file so we can all pass. Later same situation with two female runners but they stay side by side so I have to run into the mud. Not the first time its happened, why?

Same reason as why 80% of the time when you hold a door open for the fairer sex you don't even get a grunt. It seems we are expected to be chivalrous (spelling??):rolleyes: A smile or thank you doesn't cost anything!!

Although to balance it out my o/h ran into some problems with the buggy whilst shopping today. Could not get it up on the footpath and was half way out on the road herself. She said a bunch of lads passed and sniggered.
    Good manners less common nowadays unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭plumber77

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

'Don't think so' yet can't remember? :pac:

Rant #3. American in our pace group commenting on the pace at each mile marker. After making comment at miles 1-4 at mile 5 he says 'wow the pace is spot on; good job!!' then at mile 6 he declares to the group 'we're on 3:37:30 pace now'. Felt like boxing his head off.

Rant: stupid Irish pacer going too freaking fast:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

As requested by TRR:

Official DQ Rant list:

The water situation in Dublin
    Tri"athletes"
    The fact that I have a perma-ban from the weather forum cause I couldn't stop trolling in there when i had a few too many brew ha has
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Ecoli's Beer Mile time
    Chris Froome
    Mo Farah
    The leaves this time of year are a ****ing hazard, you can't see on the paths where you put your foot and what lurks beneath the leafy covering- turned ankle city
    Threads about "how to run at night"
    Threads about "how to run in the winter"
    Little ****heads throwing fireworks at you when you run
    The Late Late Show
    The Southern USA
    Canada
    Hyperbole

Rant ended. Glad I got that off my chest- will try to go back to being decent on the forums...

drquirky wrote: »
    As requested by TRR:

Official DQ Rant list:

Tri"athletes"
    The fact that I have a perma-ban from the weather forum cause I couldn't stop trolling in there when i had a few too many brew ha has
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Ecoli's Beer Mile time
    Chris Froome
    Mo Farah
    The leaves this time of year are a ****ing hazard, you can't see on the paths where you put your foot and what lurks beneath the leafy covering- turned ankle city
    The Late Late Show
    The Southern USA
    Canada
    Hyperbole

Rant ended. Glad I got that off my chest- will try to go back to being decent on the forums...

Looks like part 1 of a 3 part list :) ecoli's beer mile was shocking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

drquirky wrote: »
    As requested by TRR:

Official DQ Rant list:

Tri"athletes"
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Ecoli's Beer Mile time
    Chris Froome
    Mo Farah
    The Late Late Show
    The Southern USA
    Canada
    Hyperbole

Canada. Really. What did Canada ever do to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

rant 1. Ignorant runners who go by you with the 1000 yard stare into the distance, its ok to say hi or nod, youre not training for Rio at that pace.
    2. Fools running in the cycle lane in phoenix park and cyclists on the footpath, sheer idiocy.
    3. Dog walkers with those extendable leads, youre not in conrol of your dog when its 50 foot away and the lead is very easy to trip over.
    4.People who make smart arse remarks when Im out running with daughter in the buggy (curiously mainly fat blokes in cars) How is running with a buggy gay?? they are the ones driving around together and never with girls...perhaps thats gay?
    5. Weight of shoes. If youre not stick thin then a bit of extra weight in your shoes wont matter.
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I hate this sort of cr@p in races:

1. 'Keep going'... Like I'm going to bloody stop.
    2. 'You're nearly there'.. This can be heard anywhere from 10 miles remaining in a marathon.
    3. 'The finish is just around the corner'.... Usually, this is when its the guts of a mile away.
    4. 'Catch up with that group in front of you'... I hate this, especially when my whole body feels like its about to spontaneously combust
    5. 'You need to work harder'.... Bog off, I know how to run my own race.
    6. 'Come on, stay with me'.... Seriously, thanks, but thats like salt in the wound.

I also hate French people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I hate this sort of cr@p in races:

1. 'Keep going'... Like I'm going to bloody stop.
    2. 'You're nearly there'.. This can be heard anywhere from 10 miles remaining in a marathon.
    3. 'The finish is just around the corner'.... Usually, this is when its the guts of a mile away.
    4. 'Catch up with that group in front of you'... I hate this, especially when my whole body feels like its about to spontaneously combust
    5. 'You need to work harder'.... Bog off, I know how to run my own race.
    6. 'Come on, stay with me'.... Seriously, thanks, but thats like salt in the wound.

I also hate French people

Dig in man, dig in! You can get more onto that list! Expect every single one of them to be roared at you tomorrow by a certain raw Dunleer AC member!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement