Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SportyDaddy

Hi everyone,

I have a 4 bed bungalow currently been heated by oil. I am looking to install an inset boiler stove in the hope that i can leave the oil boiler switched off most of the time. The thing is though i am set on using timber only. Obviously the timber i use will need to be bellow the 20% moisture content. I am considering the Esse350 GS or the Stratford EB16i both of which are getting good reviews. Is there anyone out there heating a bungalow using one of these models burning timber only? Is it possible? Will i be looking at very large amounts of timber?

Another option that has been sold to me recently is the idea of a warm air distribution insert stove which heats multiple rooms via a series of insulated ducts in the attic which is pushed through using a fan. The model is the Start7 from BEF Home - does anyone have any opinions on this type of heating and on the stove itself?

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi everyone,

I have a 4 bed bungalow currently been heated by oil. I am looking to install an inset boiler stove in the hope that i can leave the oil boiler switched off most of the time. The thing is though i am set on using timber only. Obviously the timber i use will need to be bellow the 20% moisture content. I am considering the Esse350 GS or the Stratford EB16i both of which are getting good reviews. Is there anyone out there heating a bungalow using one of these models burning timber only? Is it possible? Will i be looking at very large amounts of timber?

Another option that has been sold to me recently is the idea of a warm air distribution insert stove which heats multiple rooms via a series of insulated ducts in the attic which is pushed through using a fan. The model is the Start7 from BEF Home - does anyone have any opinions on this type of heating and on the stove itself?

Cheers guys.
    From an Esse users perspective, go with the 350 if you can. The installer of mine was in awe as he was putting it in.

To say it's solid is an understatement. In order to heat radiators though you're going to be feeding an immense amount of timber daily.

Why are you so set on one fuel? 350 is multifuel and well able for coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

john_cappa wrote: »
    A3 is not a passive house?

Morso S11 is 5KW and has direct air supply. No boiler but assume you dont want one given that its only 6kw you want.

Yes you are right it is not a passive house - alot of these terms are quite new to me and I am having to get up to speed with more new things every day. It will be A3 with MVHR and pretty air tight.

Thanks for the tip on the stove. I hear good things about the Morso brand. With regards to a boiler - that was the question do very low output boier stoves exist that have direct air?

I found some Vlager Boiler Stoves that were low output but they are not direct air:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Villager-Esprit-Stoves.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

improv_12 wrote: »
    Yes you are right it is not a passive house - alot of these terms are quite new to me and I am having to get up to speed with more new things every day. It will be A3 with MVHR and pretty air tight.

Thanks for the tip on the stove. I hear good things about the Morso brand. With regards to a boiler - that was the question do very low output boier stoves exist that have direct air?

I found some Vlager Boiler Stoves that were low output but they are not direct air:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Villager-Esprit-Stoves.html

How many KW do you need to the room and how many for the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SportyDaddy

MugMugs wrote: »
    From an Esse users perspective, go with the 350 if you can. The installer of mine was in awe as he was putting it in.

To say it's solid is an understatement. In order to heat radiators though you're going to be feeding an immense amount of timber daily.

Why are you so set on one fuel? 350 is multifuel and well able for coal.
    I like the idea of burning timber as it is a very clean fuel and is completely renewable. My fear is that i may not get the level of heat i require.

Any further advice greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

Hi everyone,

Cheers guys.

I recently put in a warm air distribution system in my parents home from a regency stove. Or rather I helped my brother in law who installs these systems all the time in The Czech Republic, do it.

The stove has 36kw output and just about heats the house (6 bedroom 3,000sq ft converted 19th century parnelite house) 2 rooms furtest from the stove don't get as much heat as the others. It would certainly heat your house and wood burning is certainly the way to go for both envirionmental and cost reasons as it is does not attract carbon tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Maybe slightly off topic .. apologies for that.

I have the option of two boiler stoves. I am heating a 5m x 5m room .. and only two rads (at the moment), maybe 2/3 more in the future.

Heritage Derg 12Kw - (4kw room, 8kw boiler), 5 yr warranty includes only the stove parts not boiler, - price €699
    Olymberl Olive 10Kw - (4kw room, 6kw boiler) 5 yr warranty including the boiler - price €670

Both are manufactured in China but with varying degrees of 'Irishness'.

Which is best ? Olymberl seems slightly better made but its 20% lower on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stellab

Hi, would really appreciate some advice regarding the above. If anybody has either one of these installed I would love to hear how you are getting on with them. Slightly concerned from reading reviews of the eb12 that there is not enough heat to the room & the cara + is only 3.6kw to the room. Our room is 17ft x 15ft. 4 double rads, 3 towel radiators & 5 single rads. These will not all be turned on all the time. Any advice or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xxmarymoxx

Hi does anyone know of someone that can fit a stove for me it has a back boiler am based in Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

stellab wrote: »
    Hi, would really appreciate some advice regarding the above. If anybody has either one of these installed I would love to hear how you are getting on with them. Slightly concerned from reading reviews of the eb12 that there is not enough heat to the room & the cara + is only 3.6kw to the room. Our room is 17ft x 15ft. 4 double rads, 3 towel radiators & 5 single rads. These will not all be turned on all the time. Any advice or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I have the EB12 inset stove. Very happy with it. Room is 17 ft x 13. Heats all rads and hot water no probs. Very well built strong stove. Having seen the stanley cara in another house, I wasn't impressed.

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »
    How many KW do you need to the room and how many for the boiler?

hi,

I have been trying to work out the details.

The room is 36.7 m3
    The house is 338.4 m3

Because of the good insulation and MVHR I was thinking 2kw for the room would be fine.

I was told that 3 small rads would be OK. Based on what I read on another site a 600x600mm double radiator would need 1kw.

For the hot water there is just two people in the household so I thought that a 100 litre would be OK. I read that 2.2KW would be needed for that.

So to summarise:

2KW for the room
    3KW for rads
    2.2KW for the hot water.

Not sure if I am going to find such a stove or get it to fit within a system that would meet the BER requirements. We might end up with just a non-boiler stove and fulfil all the other heat/hot water another way.....

Thanks for your time.

:)

Anyone think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Stove sub-forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87185185#post87185185

It would be easier to search, navigate, respond and share info.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

improv_12 wrote: »
    Anyone think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Stove sub-forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87185185#post87185185

It would be easier to search, navigate, respond and share info.

Not a bad idea at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    http://henleystoves.com/boiler-stoves/the-skellig-8kw-stove

Ive seen a few good black or brown enamel prices on these lately :)
    Sanchez: I was called to look at a Henley stove at a house yesterday as the elderly couple has had it 2 years and claim it never heated the radiators. On my inspection I can 100% say that the boiler has been manufactured incorrectly, the cold water is coming on the bottom of 1 side and traveling only the distance up to the nearest outlet, This is a very common problem with boilers made in china as they don't understand the baffle arrangement needed inside the boiler to bring the water around the full water jacket, And to make matters worse when they rang and complained someone came out and knew there was a problem but tried to disguise it by taking the thermostat out of the pocket and resting it under the top casting so after 5 mins the thermostat would get hot and close the primary air and not allow them to get a roaring fire even if they want to. This is another case that will probably be settled out of court and the public will never know about it, But people should know this as I feel it's disgraceful that these pop up companies are setting up flooding the market with crap just for a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Thinking of putting in a stove c. 5kw in an existing 16" x 22" grate,
    as it stands there's the grate, with tiled ( slanting inwards ) and a cast iron surround and canopy under a timber mantle.
    I don't want to break the bank doing this, can I put an insert in without too much trouble & expense ?
    ...or is it possible to just take out the grate and tiles and fit a small free-standing model - are there fire-hazard issues ?

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Stay well clear of the Heritage stoves as the chances if them being around in 5 years for parts are slim to none.
    They are stoves which are being imported by right price tiles which they have branded as Heritage recently.
    As soon as they have their money made or alternatively close down like alot of them do,then your in trouble.

Olymberyl are relatively well established so are a slightly safer bet but be wary that they are only distributed in Ireland,their company owner is Chinese.

While other brands like Stanley,Henley,Mulberry etc are made abroad,they are at least Irish owned.

One small point on heat outputs! If a company cant show you a cert to verify a heat output then its more than likely only an estimated maximum so take it with a pinch of salt.Always look for a cert and nominal heat output imo.
    I know Henley and heat design have them available in most of their retailers for most of their stoves.

Thanks Sanchez... yep my own feeling is that the Heritage Stove is not exactly of the finest quality. Its really hard to differentiate the real mcCoy though from the fakes and copies....even more difficult to differentiate what is quality and what's not and even when dealing with copies and fakes ... what represents good 'value'.

I am now looking also at the Mulberry Yates 10kw boiler €850-ish
    and still at the Olymberyl Olive boiler 10kw €670

Mulberry it seems are partly made in Ireland .. (the main casting I'd expect still comes from China) with some final assembly and testing in Ireland. But at least I'll have some comeback.

Now ... all depends on what deal I can hammer out of the retailers I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Robbie.G wrote: »
    90degree bends have the potential to kill you.How do you sweep past a 90degree bend you can't.I agree with the 37.5 degree bit but contact any stove manufacturer and ask if you can use a 90 bend and see what reply you get.

That doesn't make sense. You're misreading the building regs. Its not possible to have an outlet at the back of a stove without having an overall 90 degree bend up into the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Hi there

We are hoping to get a small 6 kw stove into a downstairs room.There is no chimney so will be going out through the wall.It is a single storey extension. We are hoping to buy the parts ourselves and then get someone to fit it.
    Cam someone tell me exactly what I would need and how I measure for the flue?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

Usually the fitter will do a survey first and give you a list of flue parts. It's hard to say here - every situation is different.

...I guess such as stove does not exist :(:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87175056&postcount=2635

I was thinking again about airtight houses and stoves. There still seems to be some opinion that the two are not possible - the problem being when you refuel - even with an external direct air supply, correct instalation of flue and MVHR. Any thoughts?

And just another plug for a dedicated stove forum. iIn case any others think that might be a good idea add your support here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057068895

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tatoo wrote: »
    Thinking of putting in a stove c. 5kw in an existing 16" x 22" grate,
    as it stands there's the grate, with tiled ( slanting inwards ) and a cast iron surround and canopy under a timber mantle.
    I don't want to break the bank doing this, can I put an insert in without too much trouble & expense ?
    if i read you right, the hearth is tiled and is sloping? you'd potentially have trouble with the door of an insert hitting the tiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

hi thinking of getting a boiler stove installed for 9 rads in the near future .
    do you need a roaring fire going for the stove to even heat the rads to luke warm ?
    dont need the house to feel like the bahamas , just lookin to take the chill out of the rooms on cold windy nights .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

I was told Olymberl was owned by two men from the North of Ireland, that they had their own factory in China, and were one of the better Chinese made stoves. I cannot confirm that. but you could check I am sure. On the other hand Stanley insist that their stoves are made in Waterford, I have been told this several times by both an agent and someone in the Stanley place in Waterford. I know this is not true.
    there are some good stoves made in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium and of course England. They might be somewhat more expensive but may be more reliable and hopefully will be around for a while.

I have a Nestor Martin, not so sure if the model is for me, but it is a good stove and throws out enormous heat on wood only. It is roasting hot with anthracite, and I really have to leave the doors open, and this is one cold old stone house. It is a closed model and does not have a boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    hi thinking of getting a boiler stove installed for 9 rads in the near future .
    do you need a roaring fire going for the stove to even heat the rads to luke warm ?
    dont need the house to feel like the bahamas , just lookin to take the chill out of the rooms on cold windy nights .

Just had a boiler insert stove installed, the new morgan hamco. Have to say it heats the rads, all 10 of them comfortably on just a basket of logs burning since this afternoon. Still getting used to controls etc. Plenty of hot water, only problem I am having is the glass is getting browned, will need to find out how to avoid this. Hope this helps, looked around for nearly a year before deciding on a stove, no way were we paying out for 3 fills of oil this winter!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

Katie OS wrote: »
    Just had a boiler insert stove installed, the new morgan hamco. Have to say it heats the rads, all 10 of them comfortably on just a basket of logs burning since this afternoon. Still getting used to controls etc. Plenty of hot water, only problem I am having is the glass is getting browned, will need to find out how to avoid this. Hope this helps, looked around for nearly a year before deciding on a stove, no way were we paying out for 3 fills of oil this winter!!!:D

sounds nice . any pictures of the stove ?
    does it send much heat out into the room ?
    was reading that boiler stoves send most of the heat to the rads , is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Sounds good do u mind me asking how much you paid for it. Looking for something along the same line.

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    sounds nice . any pictures of the stove ?
    does it send much heat out into the room ?
    was reading that boiler stoves send most of the heat to the rads , is this true ?

The room is comfortable without being too hot, most of the heat is to the boiler, It is 18kw stove with app 3 kw to room and the rest to boiler.
    Have'nt tried coal yet so I would say its warmer.
    Attached some pics

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Sounds good do u mind me asking how much you paid for it. Looking for something along the same line.

Well after much searching and seeking I got the best price from Tuam Heating and Plumbing, Declan Marley there couldn't do enough for me. I live in Dublin and it was cheaper for to get him to deliver from Tuam than companies down the road from me. The guy knows his stuff and what he doesn't know he will ring you back with the answer. I got a lovely oak mantle delivered today from a guy in Tyronne, Colm Campbell, found him on donedeal under oak beams. As with the stove he was cheaper to get from the north to my door and I am very pleased with it. Its a 10" wide by 8" depth by 54" long and to my door for 180 euro. The stove locally was 1565 but I got it from Declan for 1066.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Well after much searching and seeking I got the best price from Tuam Heating and Plumbing, Declan Marley there couldn't do enough for me. I live in Dublin and it was cheaper for to get him to deliver from Tuam than companies down the road from me. The guy knows his stuff and what he doesn't know he will ring you back with the answer. I got a lovely oak mantle delivered today from a guy in Tyronne, Colm Campbell, found him on donedeal under oak beams. As with the stove he was cheaper to get from the north to my door and I am very pleased with it. Its a 10" wide by 8" depth by 54" long and to my door for 180 euro. The stove locally was 1565 but I got it from Declan for 1066.

Thanks for that Katie, from Galway so will def check him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

this amazes me how it keeps showing up on forums.i dunno is it other suppliers putting that out there because they sell so well, the last guy on boards.ie i had this discussion with was exactly at that and is banned now probably for trying to advertise his own business. stanley stoves ARE made in waterford i have no business with them only my brother works there with id say 15 years or more and i doubt hes imagining what goes on every day in his work place. ive asked him a million times and ALL there stoves are made there in the factory there. he does it every day. the cast iron is not chinese. they are all made there. they are irish. like i said ive nothing to do with them but when i know for fact that some stuff is just nonsense i might as well say what info i know if it helps someone make a correct decision not one based on bull. its amazing to read so much false info on these forums. QUOTE=guinness queen;87267064]I was told Olymberl was owned by two men from the North of Ireland, that they had their own factory in China, and were one of the better Chinese made stoves. I cannot confirm that. but you could check I am sure. On the other hand Stanley insist that their stoves are made in Waterford, I have been told this several times by both an agent and someone in the Stanley place in Waterford. I know this is not true.
    there are some good stoves made in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium and of course England. They might be somewhat more expensive but may be more reliable and hopefully will be around for a while.

I have a Nestor Martin, not so sure if the model is for me, but it is a good stove and throws out enormous heat on wood only. It is roasting hot with anthracite, and I really have to leave the doors open, and this is one cold old stone house. It is a closed model and does not have a boiler.
    .[/QUOTE]

Advertisement