Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm looking for some advice please about installing a stove. I have a kitchen / living room 7m x 3m x 2.5m. There is a space of 1.9m at an external wall. On one side of the space is the end of a worktop with a press underneath, on the other side is a glass TV stand with an LCD TV and various other electronics.

My concerns are:

1) There is an extractor fan over a hob located 1.8m away from the proposed site of the stove. Is this a major issue? Has anybody here got an extractor fan in the same room as a stove without problems?

2) If I install a 400mm wide stove it leaves 750mm each side. Is the TV likely to overheat? I have never experienced a stove's heat in person.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fozz10.

A few facts.

Waterford Stanley in my view are the market leaders. . Great stove top quality.

However, they do not make their stoves in their entirety in Waterford. They have been outsourcing elements of production in china for some time now. They may assemble stoves in Waterford but they do outsorce components.

This isn't a reason to think less od their products, absolutely no doubt the highest quality remains.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/printer_1000article_10009377.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

I'm sure you checked the dates in that? If you didn't it's 2007. They done this for a few years after the iron foundry on the quay closed and stopped it a good while ago after people supposedly weren't happy with the quality which could of been affected that's not something i know. since then all there cast iron is produced in the UK. This is to my knowledge anyways. Make what ye want of it.
    Fozz10.

A few facts.

Waterford Stanley in my view are the market leaders. . Great stove top quality.

However, they do not make their stoves in their entirety in Waterford. They have been outsourcing elements of production in china for some time now. They may assemble stoves in Waterford but they do outsorce components.

This isn't a reason to think less od their products, absolutely no doubt the highest quality remains.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/printer_1000article_10009377.shtml

Anyways I'm not gonna get into an argument with someone over this but when u read some of the stuff on these forums that ain't true I might as well share what I know whether it can be proved or not. The last guy i Had this discussion with was telling me this and that about them too and that almost all of there stoves are imported boxed from China! Again it was lies. He was banned from what looks like tryin to Advertise his own stove business! Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looked like! I'm sure the Chinese iron is fine I don't know much about it but who's to Say it's much different anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

I'm afraid to tell you but the only work that is done in Stanley is the enamelling, and assembly of enamels stoves and this will only be done for a little bit longer as they are already looking at bringing this in from china in the future, This is not Waterford Stanley's fault as they would never of dreamed of doing this before but since they were taken over by AGA/Rangemaster this decision is now made in the UK and they feel the brand is that strong that no matter where there made it won't effect there place in the market, All matt black stoves that are bought now and shipped into Ireland complete from countries chez rep, Poland and china, and the first person to open the box in Ireland is the customer, if an enamelled stove is ordered then they disassemble the matt, enamel it and put it back together, This is fact and if you want proof then just check the ash pan compartment in any display model in any store and you will see the silica gel pouches still in them from being imported, Stanley Waterford will only be a warehouse in 5 years time you heard it first here

• Advertisement

dugger wrote: »
    I'm afraid to tell you but the only work that is done in Stanley is the enamelling, and assembly of enamels stoves and this will only be done for a little bit longer as they are already looking at bringing this in from china in the future, This is not Waterford Stanley's fault as they would never of dreamed of doing this before but since they were taken over by AGA/Rangemaster this decision is now made in the UK and they feel the brand is that strong that no matter where there made it won't effect there place in the market, All matt black stoves that are bought now and shipped into Ireland complete from countries chez rep, Poland and china, and the first person to open the box in Ireland is the customer, if an enamelled stove is ordered then they disassemble the matt, enamel it and put it back together, This is fact and if you want proof then just check the ash pan compartment in any display model in any store and you will see the silica gel pouches still in them from being imported, Stanley Waterford will only be a warehouse in 5 years time you heard it first here

I give up. Why bother. I must inform my brother he needs to see someone as he's imagining his daily job. I've got a Matt boiler Tara made there. He was tellin me how there assembled ,about a week ago when we were talkin about my stove. Again I must of imagined that too. It's probably a crazy thought to think the pouches are put in here in Waterford as some will be sent all around the country or maybe further. Anyways I'm out. I thought I'd share what I know. Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Enough of this.
    Any more of this petty arguing and I'm closing this thread.
    And guys are looking for a dedicated Stoves forum?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Enough of this.
    Any more of this petty arguing and I'm closing this thread.

Yep enough is right. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SportyDaddy

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Sounds good do u mind me asking how much you paid for it. Looking for something along the same line.
    The Morgan model sounds great. Are those 10 single rads or is there some doubles? Do you find you need to turn on a rad in the room? Great to hear that you are using wood as thats all i want to burn in my stove... I hate coal... A dirty fuel! Whenever i actually get one that is! Still can't decide which one to go for Esse 350GS, Stratford 16 ebi or maybe even this Morgan model!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Stove Update.

I bought a Mulberry Yates matt black 10Kw Boiler stove (2nd hand), put it in during the week... have had a fire in it and its a great looking stove. . I'm heating 4 x Rads off it, they have got lukewarm hot already and its giving out nice heat to the room. This is with it burning at about 50% capacity. I didn't have the proper dry wood etc. yet and I'm also deliberately holding off putting a serious fire in it for a few days till all the surrounding plasterwood is 100% dried out.

But very happy so far.

A few learnings though ...

1). With a 2nd hand stove, you can basically forget about changing the flue output from what the previous user has been doing (ie. switching it from top outlet to back outlet or back to top) because the screws completely perish (on the inside from the soot & heat) and can't be re-opened/closed again.

2). It can be pretty costly converting an old style existing open fireplace and putting in a free standing stove so make sure your budget is generous (mine is a 70yro cottage with big open fireplace)

Flexi-Flue, vermiculite, additional flue bits, blocks, plasterwork, paint, hearth, labour etc. prob cost about €1000

3). I see already, how a person could become a "Slave to Stove" (..apologies to Bryan Ferry) ... as they burn wood pretty fast and you need to keep feeding them every hour or so and probably spend your evenings/weekends preparing the wood for the week ahead.

Happy Burning, fellow Stove-Heads !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ok i have measured my room.

whats the best stove to heat this room 4.5m X 3.5m

its needs to fit into the following space.

the opening measures 0.42m across, 0.56m high , 0.53m from back to the front of hearth , the hearth measures 0.3. i want it to fit in the fireplace without too much messing.

i wont be heating any radiators with this just the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi all!

Would love any recommendations for a good enamel non boiler stove to replace a standard open fire (not insert style).

We are looking for a 8-9kw version.

If anyone has purchased the Mulberry Yeats enamel non boiler at a good price I'd be really appreciate a heads up!! (Please PM me! :) )

Would this be a good model to go with?

(15 year old house & room is 15ft by 13ft with three doors off)

Many thanks for any advice. :o

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Considering how popular stoves have become, I think that'd be a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Posted this in a thread by itself but i think this is the correct place for it.

We have an open fire with a back boiler but it won't heat all our rads ( 12 in total ). Half the house will be boiling and the other half frozen.

We're looking at an insert stove as we hope it will heat the whole house and save us money in the long run.

We have oil for the mornings but its open fire for the day then with an electric heater in one room in the evenings.

The house was redone in 2006 and the flu was redone in the chimney but i have no idea what they did.

We've looked at the Stanlley Cara Plus & Boru Chieftian.

Any advice or help.

PS i haven't a clue about this stuffredface.png

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Just wondering where in Waterford/Southeast would I get a 7 inch flue? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

keredern wrote: »
    Hi all!

Would love any recommendations for a good enamel non boiler stove to replace a standard open fire (not insert style).

We are looking for a 8-9kw version.

If anyone has purchased the Mulberry Yeats enamel non boiler at a good price I'd be really appreciate a heads up!! (Please PM me! :) )

Would this be a good model to go with?

(15 year old house & room is 15ft by 13ft with three doors off)

Many thanks for any advice. :o

Hi I have the stanley tara 8kw Matt stove. It's in a room 20 ft by 12ft with French doors & two other doors in the room. Massive heat from it & I normally have to leave the doors open after about an hour & a half. Saving loads on my gas bill .i normally burn ecobrite in it which lasts for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

The Morgan model sounds great. Are those 10 single rads or is there some doubles? Do you find you need to turn on a rad in the room? Great to hear that you are using wood as thats all i want to burn in my stove... I hate coal... A dirty fuel! Whenever i actually get one that is! Still can't decide which one to go for Esse 350GS, Stratford 16 ebi or maybe even this Morgan model!

Four rads are double. Yes you need the rad on in the room, as least we do as we leave our living room door open all the time. Using kiln dried wood at the moment. To be honest my heart was set on the Stratford 16 as it is a terrific stove but it will not fit a 16 inch fire opening. i checked this out and if you ring stratford customer info they will tell you this. That left me to have to think again. The morgan was an inpulse buy as it is a new stove and there is no feed back on it as yet. so far, fingers crossed, its doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OfficerHalfwit

Posted the following 2 posts in probably the wrong thread so moving them to here. Any advice welcome.

Well folks,

Looking for a bit of advise from those in the know. We are starting to renovate and build onto a house in the new year and we really don't know what heating system or systems to use.

The house is currently 1,100 ft sq and we are building on around 1,200 ft sq so basically doubling in size. It's a detached house in the country. There is currently a solid fuel stove in the house and also an oil burner. Neither of these would be sufficient when it's extended.

We had decided on a wood pellet burner but the model we were looking at is €12,000 and we've just discovered that there is no grant for these anymore. Added to the expense of building a garage immediately to store it and the pellets we are beginning to feel that the outlay in money would take years and years make up, if ever.

The model we were looking at is tried and tested over the last six years by family and heats a 2,200 sq ft house for approx €900 - €1,000 per year and has never given them trouble so we have no concerns about the boiler itself, just the cost!

Their house is new build and is all underfloor heating though where as our's will be a combination of underfloor and rads and the existing house will have to be re-plumbed and retrofitted which is also a concern as I have heard that combining UFH and rads does not work as well as just one or the other.

Anyway I've rambled on a bit. All advice welcome.

Cheers.

Bumpity bump,

Just the once as I'm still looking for advice!!!

I should add that we have more or less decided on the new oil condensing boiler by Grant Engineering. It seems to have gotten good reviews and we can't really see much alternative but to combine oil and solid fuel.

So the question is what type of stove would anyone suggest going for? The house will be approx 2,300 sq ft and will be combining new build with existing dwelling. It will have 8 rads upstairs 5 rads downstairs as well as having underfloor heating in the new build kitchen 20ft x 14ft & conservatory 11ft x 9ft. Also underfloor heating in new build sitting room 19ft x 14ft.

We would like a multi-fuel stove that would have the capability of heating the entire house. Obviously the house will be zoned as well so will probably never have to heat the entire house at one time but would like a stove with the capabilities to do so on the rare occasions it might be needed.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Hi, I got a quote to install a freestanding stove (the stove itself was priced separately). The installation is in a vaulted room, and the flue will be approx. 4.5m - 5m, straight off the top of the stove and through the vaulted ceiling and roof. The quote is €1400 and includes commissioning the stove, installation of flue, 2 single wall and 3 twin wall through the roof. Installation of lead flashing and fitting cowl to flue. The €1400 includes all parts (flue etc.) and labour, but does not include the stove or hearth (being optional).

Does €1400 sound fair, I'm told it'll be two people for a day. I haven't got a breakdown yet, but have asked to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

hey all -

what's the correct / recommended way to connect a reducer + stove pipe + stove in a recessed space?

As in, do you stick the reducer into the chimney, then shove the pipe into reducer and somehow manipulate the stove to get the pipe into the pipe collar....or what? It all seems a bit awkward.

does any of that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bakugan

Hi Folks,
    I am looking at installing an insert multi fuel stove in my front room. The model I am looking at is a Vitae 11 KW insert stove. I would appreciate any advice on this brand of stove. Does anyone have one, what do they think of it. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anyone who can help me here, i'd be very grateful, looking to put in a boiler stove, House has a total of 110k btu's, obviously the house wont be all up at full blast at once. I will haver solar panels also and oil heating as backup. My kitchen is only 16x16 ft so i dont want a huge stove that will be uncomfortable in the room. Ive been looking at the stratford 20 HE, sizewise it seems about right for my kitchen but im not sure it has enough output for the house.
    I guess my question is if a house has a total of 110,000 btu's then what is the lowest (within reason) size boiler I can install.
    I spent a small fortune insulating the house correctly so surely that has to be factored in also?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Abominable JoMan

Sorry not sure if it has already been asked and might sound stupid, but can a back boiler be added to an existing installed stove that doesn't have a back boiler?
    Regretting not getting it in the first place :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Sorry not sure if it has already been asked and might sound stupid, but can a back boiler be added to an existing installed stove that doesn't have a back boiler?
    Regretting not getting it in the first place :/

I wouldnt know much about them but i would doubt it you would need a far bigger firebox for starters because most of the heat goes to heat the water.

So depending on how much water you need to heat you may need a stove with three or four times the output to still heat your room and your water

Why not put the one you have now up on adverts or done deal and buy one that is built for heating water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Quick question...

I have a stove with a back boiler, can I disconnect the water and still use it???

(When I say "can I", I mean a plumber)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Posted this in a thread by itself but i think this is the correct place for it.

We have an open fire with a back boiler but it won't heat all our rads ( 12 in total ). Half the house will be boiling and the other half frozen.

We're looking at an insert stove as we hope it will heat the whole house and save us money in the long run.

We have oil for the mornings but its open fire for the day then with an electric heater in one room in the evenings.

The house was redone in 2006 and the flu was redone in the chimney but i have no idea what they did.

We've looked at the Stanlley Cara Plus & Boru Chieftian.

Any advice or help.

PS i haven't a clue about this stuffredface.png

Elvis are those single or double rads, large or various sizes. Also what size is the room stove will be in and is there a rad in that room. We have a Yola insert stove heating 5 single and 2 double rads. One of those double rads is in the room with stove and is needed there. Room 16 x 12 feet. We're pleased with our stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Bakugan wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am looking at installing an insert multi fuel stove in my front room. The model I am looking at is a Vitae 11 KW insert stove. I would appreciate any advice on this brand of stove. Does anyone have one, what do they think of it. Thanks in advance

I have the glass framed one -- have only lit 5 or 6 fires so far and only big ones recently -- love it

It's in a room 17 Sqm which has double doors always open to kitchen /dining 40 Sqm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Quick question...

I have a stove with a back boiler, can I disconnect the water and still use it???

(When I say "can I", I mean a plumber)

Yup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lorraine1974

Hi, we are in our new home about a month and have installed a Stanley Lismore stove which has a back boiler. The boilder is working great in that it is heating the rads and water. However we have this dark brown liquid leaking from one spot where the enemal pipe goes up into the chimney down onto the hearth. The pipe from the stove goes horizontal from the stove to the chimney no bends. It is quite smelly. Initally when we moved in we thought it was rain so we put on a chinmey pot cover put it is still happeneing. We are only buring wood at the moment, sticks that have been cut for a year and off cuts from the house build i.e. wood from the roof, skirtings etc. My mother and sister in law (2 other houses) are also burning the same wood in their stoves and they don't have this problem. The builders (they installed the stove) have no idea what it is and the place we bought the stanley from say they will come out and look but they never turn up. We have rang them 3 times already to come out. I have read posts to say this is the wood that we are burning but I don't believe it is, 2 other houses are burning the same wood and they don't have a problem. The meeting point of the pipe from the stove and the chimney is sealed with fire cement.
    I have a picture but I'm not sure how or if you can post a picture on here.
    Any suggestions/advice as to what this is would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement