Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Brianne wrote: »
    Elvis are those single or double rads, large or various sizes. Also what size is the room stove will be in and is there a rad in that room. We have a Yola insert stove heating 5 single and 2 double rads. One of those double rads is in the room with stove and is needed there. Room 16 x 12 feet. We're pleased with our stove.

The number of rads inclues doubles added ( as 2 rads ). There are a few towel rads in the bathrooms but the majority are 4 foot ones.

The room is about 5m by 4m i'd say off the top of my head, it also has a 4 foot double rad in the room that we try to leave off as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Hi All

Hoping for some help and advice. We bought a 30 yr old bungalow last June which has two hearing systems, desiel and a parkray back boiler. Old Runtal rads throughout. Roughly 2000 sq foot. Problem is we are just bit getting enough heat from either system. We have a very large open plan kitchen/diner/living room and with the parkray firing it's never hit enough. Spent 2800 on deisel last year plus another few hundred on antracite and was still not cosy. Rads never piping hot. Thinking of getting an inset stove room heater for the living area where we spend most of our time. Jide or BEF. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Hi, we are in our new home about a month and have installed a Stanley Lismore stove which has a back boiler. The boilder is working great in that it is heating the rads and water. However we have this dark brown liquid leaking from one spot where the enemal pipe goes up into the chimney down onto the hearth. The pipe from the stove goes horizontal from the stove to the chimney no bends. It is quite smelly. Initally when we moved in we thought it was rain so we put on a chinmey pot cover put it is still happeneing. We are only buring wood at the moment, sticks that have been cut for a year and off cuts from the house build i.e. wood from the roof, skirtings etc. My mother and sister in law (2 other houses) are also burning the same wood in their stoves and they don't have this problem. The builders (they installed the stove) have no idea what it is and the place we bought the stanley from say they will come out and look but they never turn up. We have rang them 3 times already to come out. I have read posts to say this is the wood that we are burning but I don't believe it is, 2 other houses are burning the same wood and they don't have a problem. The meeting point of the pipe from the stove and the chimney is sealed with fire cement.
    I have a picture but I'm not sure how or if you can post a picture on here.
    Any suggestions/advice as to what this is would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Seeing that it is a new house it may just take a few weeks for the chimney to warm up and adjust to the big increase in heat from the stove - hence why the other 2 houses have no problem with the same timber. I know it's not ideal but try and only burn small fires for the next fews days and maybe use some bricketts instead of the logs. Also make sure that any timber you burn from the build is untreated (ie. not pressure treated (slightly green in colour) and unpainted).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Hi, we are in our new home about a month and have installed a Stanley Lismore stove which has a back boiler. The boilder is working great in that it is heating the rads and water. However we have this dark brown liquid leaking from one spot where the enemal pipe goes up into the chimney down onto the hearth. The pipe from the stove goes horizontal from the stove to the chimney no bends. It is quite smelly. Initally when we moved in we thought it was rain so we put on a chinmey pot cover put it is still happeneing. We are only buring wood at the moment, sticks that have been cut for a year and off cuts from the house build i.e. wood from the roof, skirtings etc. My mother and sister in law (2 other houses) are also burning the same wood in their stoves and they don't have this problem. The builders (they installed the stove) have no idea what it is and the place we bought the stanley from say they will come out and look but they never turn up. We have rang them 3 times already to come out. I have read posts to say this is the wood that we are burning but I don't believe it is, 2 other houses are burning the same wood and they don't have a problem. The meeting point of the pipe from the stove and the chimney is sealed with fire cement.
    I have a picture but I'm not sure how or if you can post a picture on here.
    Any suggestions/advice as to what this is would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Lorraine, I am unsure what the cause of the problem is but that sounds like pretty bad after service. I am trying to find the right stove to buy at the moment and am reading lots of stories about 'inferior chinese stoves', 'poor service' and 'incorrect installations'. good luck though :)

I put up a post a while ago but still have not managed to find the 'right' stove. I need a small dry stove that is totally room sealed - it is going to be in a pretty air tight house with MVHR. There seem to be a good few stoves that have direct air:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/direct-air-supply-stoves.html

The above list insn't comprehensive and it is a UK site so may not totally reflect the market in Ireland. I am really getting mixed up over all this and would appreciate any advice or recommendations from people who have a totally sealed stove in a house well sealed house.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lorraine1974

cocoman wrote: »
    Seeing that it is a new house it may just take a few weeks for the chimney to warm up and adjust to the big increase in heat from the stove - hence why the other 2 houses have no problem with the same timber. I know it's not ideal but try and only burn small fires for the next fews days and maybe use some bricketts instead of the logs. Also make sure that any timber you burn from the build is untreated (ie. not pressure treated (slightly green in colour) and unpainted).

Thanks cocoman, we have started on the bricketts and a little coal only, no wood the last two nights and we will see how it goes over the next couple of days. The hubbie got up into the attic last night to see if he could see anything up there, he saw the same brown liquid sitting on top of the lead. We have a chimney sweep who is quite knowledgeable coming now to take a look at it tomorrow to see if he can figure out what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lorraine1974

improv_12 wrote: »
    Hi Lorraine, I am unsure what the cause of the problem is but that sounds like pretty bad after service. I am trying to find the right stove to buy at the moment and am reading lots of stories about 'inferior chinese stoves', 'poor service' and 'incorrect installations'. good luck though :)

Hi improv_12, yeah we are pretty annoyed at the fact the supplier would not come out to take a look. We are thinking it's because we didn't get him to fit the stove! We have the Stanley Lismore with a back boiler and it is doing it's job really well, heating rads and the water only for this leak we are very happy with it. The rads are hopping and the water is still warm the following evening after no heating being on in the house all day. We have rarely turned on the oil only if it was too late in the evening to light the fire. In a previous house we lived in there was a Boru (100% Irish) inset stove. That was a powerful stove. Very plan to look at but great stove. Good luck with your stove search

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mnman

Hi, I am going to install a Stanley Cara plus inset stove. Can anyone recommend a plumber who would be interested in the job. We are in the Clonsilla/Clonee area. All plumbers who advertise locally are only interested in gas operated systems. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Hi guys

we are putting in a san remo inset stove. The shop is selling us a 45 degree angle adapter, straight piece and a reducer to direct the smoke up the chimney.

We are setting it into an open fire that we never had any issues with draw from . Any installation #I have seen online doesnt have the extra flue pipes,

can anyone tell me if they are necessary?

thanks

Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Here's a list of what we are hoping to heat with our insert stove bolier (currently looking at Hamco Morgan ).

We have more rads but these would be the ones we'd have on

1. Living room ( 5 foot double )
    2. Hall way ( 3 foot single )
    3. Bathroom ( small towel rad ? )
    4. Playroom ( 3 foot single )
    5. Kitchen ( 3 foot double )
    6. Bedroom 1 ( 3 foot single )
    7. Bedroom 2 ( 4 foot single )
    8. Bedroom 3 ( 3 foot single )
    9. On suite ( small towel rad )
    10. Bedtoom 4 ( 4 four double )

The ones in bold are the older style rads and i find them much much better for heat. We did a major build in 2006 and kept the older rads for the older part of the building.

Would the Morgan be able for all that or are we taling pie in the sky. I could turn off the living room if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

hi all,i've a boru 30 kilowatt stove installed and very happy with the results i'm getting from it.Just wondering what are the best settings to have it at to be fuel efficient.I'm burning well seasoned ash.These days when i've a good fire going i close the top vent and the thermostat is set at 8 which i never change,I only light it for a few hours in the evening and have plenty of heat for 9 rads and the kitchen(which the stove is in). Next week is supposed to be very cold so will prob be lighting the stove all day.Just wondering from people's experience what is the best settings to just have a fire smouldering away to keep the kitchen warm,not worried bout the rest of the house during the day because the rooms won't b used.Is it better to close the bottom vent or top one and what setting should the thermostat be at

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Briany3

Thank you very much. Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

Hi,
    Can anyone advise as to what the best arched insert stove is?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Anyone got a Jide maxi 67/60? Would be interested to know what they cost and if any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Interested in an Ecofan or similar device to push the warm air forward into room

Are these worth buying ?

and wil it work well when stove is situated in a recess see picture

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paulmce

Hi,

I'm going to be installing an insert boiler stove and just wondering if anyone has any idea on what the Heat Design 18kw boiler insert is like (link below)?
    http://heatdesign.ie/heat-design-18kw-insert-boiler

I know it is fairly new but company has been around for a while so any info is appreciated..

How would it compare to say the Henley Achill boiler stove or has anyone got any better recommendations for around the same price range as these (they are around 1200-1300 for the stove itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spencer86

Have a gas fire and looking to get a stove for a two bedroom house my back room is big enough so looking to see what people would recommend please? gas is great but costly and ya cant beat the fire
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

Quick question...

I have a stove with a back boiler, can I disconnect the water and still use it???

(When I say "can I", I mean a plumber)
    Hey Arse,

The answer is Yes, but you may need to fit the stove with some new bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

spencer86 wrote: »
    Have a gas fire and looking to get a stove for a two bedroom house my back room is big enough so looking to see what people would recommend please? gas is great but costly and ya cant beat the fire
    thanks

Can your fireplace / flue take a fire?

Would you like inset or free standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys,

quick question re controlling the heat output from a cara insert -

shock horror ours gets quite hot :)

whats the best way to maintain a lower temp? we leave the air vent open on the front till the fire gets going, then close down to almost closed.. then reopen before refuelling and then leave it open till the material gets going again before closing down to almost closed again..

i'm guessing the trick is to not the fuel blaze to much and that way it doesnt heat the baffles as much the consequence is that it doesnt radiate as much heat?

My wife says we have to control it.. rather than taking off layers of clothes....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

My Q is prolly better off inthis thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057086610

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spencer86

Can your fireplace / flue take a fire?

Would you like inset or free standing?

It can take a fire its a chimney there, I wouldn't mind what type of one I got to be honest just trying to see what people recommend?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

spencer86 wrote: »
    It can take a fire its a chimney there, I wouldn't mind what type of one I got to be honest just trying to see what people recommend?
    thanks

Can you stick up a picture of your fireplace?

Reason I ask if your fireplace can take it is that Gas Fireplaces (wooden) are low in height, decorative etc and generally not within the required distance to combustibles needed for a stove (your fireplace could go on fire) or the granite surround may not be split or set in concrete leading to further problems. Same with the hearth if relevant.

Once we know what we're dealing with we can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 okofen

k123456 wrote: »
    Interested in an Ecofan or similar device to push the warm air forward into room

Are these worth buying ?

and wil it work well when stove is situated in a recess see picture

Thanks
    Hi. I have a ecofan for the last 4 years and I can certainly recommend it, I have the larger one with 3 fans, my stove is in an alcove and it is great at pushing the heat out into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 feearghalbhoy

Hi
    we recently moved into property with Stanley Erin stove it has boiler and heats water and rads. We have not had to put our oil on as this stove is great but when we checked the oil had gone down ???? in 6wks it has gone down 2 inches any idea ??? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Hi
    we recently moved into property with Stanley Erin stove it has boiler and heats water and rads. We have not had to put our oil on as this stove is great but when we checked the oil had gone down ???? in 6wks it has gone down 2 inches any idea ??? Thanks

If you haven't burned it, then you have a leak or poorly equipped thief.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 feearghalbhoy

The light comes on but the switch is in off position ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 theMAC

Hi all,

I am looking a fitting a Morso S50 this winter. I am getting some mad prices for the fit of the Stove and External Flue system. Can anyone recommend a fitter / installer in the North Dublin / Meath area I can contact for a price for supply and fit of the internal and External Flue system.

I'd say I am looking at about 1 Meter of internal flue to a double wall flue at 45 degrees through the wall. Once through the wall, it would be about 3 meters to the roof and them about 1 meter more.... With the prices I have been getting I have been thinking of fitting the stove myself, but it would be great to find someone that can do it at a reasonable cost.

It would be nice to get a few prices together. If you know anyone please feel free to let me know via PM.

Thanks all,

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fredgalway

HI Improv 12 My opinion would be that if you are using a very small stove there is no need to have it direct air supply. If you insist on direct air perhaps a Boru stove will suit .I think they will fit direct air supply to most of their stoves. I have a house with MHR ,I have a large Boru boiler stove with direct air in kitchen living room, and a small stove with room air only in sitting room, no problems

• Advertisement

hi fredgalway,

Thanks for your post. I am pretty sure we are going to get a direct air stove but its interesting to know that your small stove works OK drawing air from the room alongside MVHR. Is your house very well insulated/sealed? (I am guessing it is). I will check out Boru, cheers. (just emailed them).

:)

EDIT:

Unfortunately Boru's smallest inset stove 'Croi Beag' doesn't hev direct air and the others are too big.

Advertisement