Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Speed Limits for Bikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Well, if you're not in a race, you're not a racing cyclist. You're a cyclist on a racing bike. ;)

At least we're getting to the crux of the issue now.... :D

unless it is the race that shall not be mentioned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Jawgap wrote: »

ssshhhh.... I didn't mention it ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well, if you're not in a race, you're not a racing cyclist. You're a cyclist on a racing bike. ;)

At least we're getting to the crux of the issue now.... :D

Pedantic point...

If you use Strava are you not always in a race against yourself and your previous results?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Pedantic point...

If you use Strava are you not always in a race against yourself and your previous results?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pedantic point...

No. It records distance.

• Advertisement

No.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    No. It records distance.
    deandean wrote: »
    Naw the Gardai don't even have to leave their desk. Here are the results for the Clontarf cyclopath. GPS certified, names excluded..... :pac:
    277282.bmp

Where's that from is it not Strava? Looks like a useful resource

What's your point?

I'm on that list - but I can tell you the day I posted the speed recorded there was a feckin' roaring tailwind.

Are you suggesting Strava becomes admissible in court? I think you're being a bit ridiculous now.

By the way if you want to see how most people use Strava.................................
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I think that spook.ie possibly has issues with cyclists due to the fact that he may have regular / have had previous run ins with them as he is a taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pedantic point...

If you drive a Sports car are not always in a race? ... ( No your not)

07Lapierre wrote: »

a racing motorist?

• Advertisement

What's your point?

I'm on that list - but I can tell you the day I posted the speed recorded there was a feckin' roaring tailwind.

Are you suggesting Strava becomes admissible in court? I think you're being a bit ridiculous now.

By the way if you want to see how most people use Strava.................................
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    V

Just asking, so you can race against yourself using Strava measurements despite your initial denial, so therefore you can be a racing cyclist in a race against your previous times, not looking for anything admissible in court just looking at the fact that some people could ( and indeed appear to ) race.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    a racing motorist?

Only if you were timing yourself ala Strava or something similar and trying to improve on your times

Just asking, so you can race against yourself using Strava measurements despite your initial denial, so therefore you can be a racing cyclist in a race against your previous times, not looking for anything admissible in court just looking at the fact that some people could ( and indeed appear to ) race.

..and you accuse me of making a pedantic point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

p9jvq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Only if you were timing yourself ala Strava or something similar and trying to improve on your times

So you're saying that we need more speed limits for cars drivers using 'strava or something similar'.

I agree! That Hailo app thing is very similar to Strava with its geolocation services and all. The fact that you get paid based on your performance in it means that it's even more high risk IMO. Click the button within 30seconds or lose the job/money!

We should start a campaign together, Spook. More speed limits for racing taxi drivers. I'll make the facebook site, can you come up with a catchy slogan?

Pedantic point...

..and you accuse me of making a pedantic point.

No I made my own pedantic point

No I made my own pedantic point

You just made another one. ;)

quozl wrote: »
    So you're saying that we need more speed limits for cars drivers using 'strava or something similar'.

I agree! That Hailo app thing is very similar to Strava with its geolocation services and all. The fact that you get paid based on your performance in it means that it's even more high risk IMO. Click the button within 30seconds or lose the job/money!

We should start a campaign together, Spook. More speed limits for racing taxi drivers. I'll make the facebook site, can you come up with a catchy slogan?

No I don't race. I worked it out a long time ago that all it does is get you to a traffic queue quicker.

As to Hailo, then it's fastest finger not fastest car

you could, but why would you?

I often appear to be racing but rarely am - I'm just trying not to cough up a lung......If I'm moving fast it's usually because the wind is behind me and now there are so many Strava segments it's become a pointless feature of the system because you're effectively always on a segment.

I will admit using Strava and trying to beat my times on certain selected climbs of which none are in the the vicinity of Clontarf.

Have you any kind of objective evidence that people are racing themselves and / or each other on the stretch of dedicated cycling track to which the original proposal applies?

If so post it, if not move along - although in your case the fact we are discussing happenings in the Meadow of the Bull seems appropriate........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Zillah wrote: »
    Step 3 - ???
    Profit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No I don't race. I worked it out a long time ago that all it does is get you to a traffic queue quicker.

As to Hailo, then it's fastest finger not fastest car

Yea, course it's not the fastest Taxi who wins! :D :pac:

http://youtu.be/IWL8IjfsrII?t=4s

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea, course it's not the fastest Taxi who wins! :D :pac:

http://youtu.be/IWL8IjfsrII?t=4s

If someone would care to open up a thread elsewhere and move the relevent posts to it I'll answer it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Zillah wrote: »
    McGrath's update is ridiculous.

Step 1 - Propose cycling speed limit.
    Step 2 - Publish incoherent list of unreferenced anti-cyclist anecdotes.
    Step 3 - ???

Shows the level of thinking that has gone into this.
    I don't know, I'm kinda rooting for this couple.
    "Another man just met a lovely old lady who had been knocked down on a footpath in Baggot Street by a hit and run cyclist."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Spare a thought for cyclists in Brisbane's South Bank Parklands :pac:

http://road.cc/content/news/90431-brisbane-cyclists-complain-10kmph-speed-limit-so-slow-its-dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

http://road.cc/content/news/90431-brisbane-cyclists-complain-10kmph-speed-limit-so-slow-its-dangerous
    10km/h. Give. Me. Strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I would half ignore anything from Australia. It must be the most anti-cyclist place on Earth with their speed limits and compulsory helmets when cycling 6 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

So what's going to happen here. The speed limit is put in place and most cyclists move onto the road. Motorists complain that cyclists are not using the cycle lane. A motion is put in to make use of the cycle lane mandatory which kicks up a fuss all over the country as all lanes then become mandatory.

Cyclists stop cycling as it's too much hassle in the city and the roads go back to 2008 levels of traffic. People moan about the amount of cars on the road and we have to do something to encourage the use of public transport and get people cycling again. Meanwhile the pedestrians who shouldn't be in the cycle lane anyway are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Seweryn wrote: »
    I would half ignore anything from Australia. It must be the most anti-cyclist place on Earth with their speed limits and compulsory helmets when cycling 6 mph.

Well, falling off at 10kph would probably keep you within the design limitations of a helmet so maybe they're on to something...

Why not have a man with a flag to walk in front of every cyclist to warn of his approach? (I hope they don't read boards in Oz!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

will they not need a legal basis for any such speed limit? Sure the council can throw up a few signs but without an amendment to the RTA what's the point since it won't make it into the RTAs on the speedo issue?

• Advertisement

will they not need a legal basis for any such speed limit? Sure the council can throw up a few signs but without an amendment to the RTA what's the point since it won't make it into the RTAs on the speedo issue?

No, they just need to bring in a by-law.

Incidentally, maybe the proposed limits are MINIMUM rather than MAXIMUM speed limits :pac:

Advertisement