Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Speed Limits for Bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

So I'm failing to understand why cyclists should have exclusive rights to it?

The same way train tracks are for trains, bus lanes for busses and taxis. Stop being needlessly obtuse. It's a cycle track. There's a path beside it. You don't walk along a road when there's a perfectly good path beside it do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The same way train tracks are for trains, bus lanes for busses and taxis. Stop being needlessly obtuse. It's a cycle track. There's a path beside it. You don't walk along a road when there's a perfectly good path beside it do you?

I understand what you're saying, but where does it end with all the lanes then? are joggers and runners expected to jog/run on the road or the footpath?

I understand what you're saying, but where does it end with all the lanes then? are joggers and runners expected to jog/run on the road or the footpath?

On the path. They are still pedestrians whilst running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I think the old bell would come in fierce handy here to warn people who had wandered onto the cycletrack area of the promenade.

In fact, if reports are to be believed, you may be ringing the bell very frequently. So frequently that it might be an idea to set up some kind of speaker system all along the cycle track permanently pumping out the gentle dring-dring sound of a bicycle bell to warn pedestrians and joggers to beware the cycle track and it's onrushing two wheeled denizens. If you wanted to go eco style, you could have some kind of wind/rain/solar powered bells all along the track to take advantage of whatever the prevailing weather conditions were.

There you have it, the simplest, most obvious system of all to fix all our problems (and make everyone in the area think they had developed tinnitus). Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Majority of roadies who would be breaking the speed limits will be using a speedometer or a garmin anyways
    I'm open to correction but I think a person can only be open to prosecution if the vehicle is constructed with an effective speedometer.
    27. An efficient speedometer, so placed and constructed as to be easily read at all times by the driver of the vehicle, shall be fitted to every vehicle other than a works truck, or a vehicle incapable of exceeding 30 miles per hour (or 20 miles per hour, in the case of a large tractor) on a dry level road under normal atmospheric conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it saves lives I'm all for it.
    What about the bigger picture? All pedestrians could stay at home - that would save lives. What about banning alcohol - more lives saved. Ban motorised vehicles- even more lives saved.......

What about the bigger picture? All pedestrians could stay at home - that would save lives. What about banning alcohol - more lives saved. Ban motorised vehicles- even more lives saved.......

Don't forget x factor. Ban x factor too. Save humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Which one were you using?
    A cyclist struck me when I was younger, guy was coming around a wide bend at about 40 km/hr, doctor said had of been going any faster he could of killed me.

If it saves lives I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

No Pants wrote: »
    Which one were you using?

The road! there was no footpath or "Cycle" lane

• Advertisement

The road! there was no footpath or "Cycle" lane

So the basis for your question / argument is null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Never realised they were speed limits for bikes...I've broken a couple of the city centre ones for sure if its 30:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Never realised they were speed limits for bikes...I've broken a couple of the city centre ones for sure if its 30:o
    There have been no speed limits for bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I don't object to the idea of asking cyclists to keep to a moderate speed - in my view, encouraging any non-motorised transport is a good thing.
    However, what are the triggers for this. Presumably people have been complaining about cyclists going too fast on this section. However, how many pedestrians have been killed/seriously injured (KSI) by cyclists on this section?
    While a low KSI stat should not be used to justify fast cycling, it should maybe be used by the NTA when deciding the priority of their policies.

The main issue I have is that this ignores the bigger issue. The majority of people don't even question the speed of cars in the city. 1000+ Kg moving at even 30kph means pedestrians don't dare walk in the road. It's because cyclists don't cause much damage that people feel free to wander into the cycle lane.
    Enforcement of a 30 kph limit in much of the city would make it much more 'liveable', as well as having a much bigger impact on KSIs.

However, though growing, cyclists are a small group, there is still an 'us' and 'them', so it is easy to pick on the minority out-group to please a vocal majority. In the Netherlands, if you walk in a bike lane (as many tourists do), you soon get blasted out of it by bells, shouts, bike-horns and close-passing bikes.

tl dr: In my view, a recommended 20kph limit would be OK as it helps encourage walking, which, indirectly, encourages more cycling, but the priority should be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Don't forget x factor. Ban x factor too. Save humanity.

Please god make it so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Mucco wrote: »
    1000+ Kg moving at even 30kph means pedestrians don't dare walk in the road.
    I beg to differ. I see pedestrians walking out in the road all the time, frequently with their back to oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Mucco wrote: »
    tl dr: In my view, a recommended 20kph limit would be OK as it helps encourage walking, which, indirectly, encourages more cycling, but the priority should be elsewhere.

To paraphrase the motoring lobby at the time of the introduction of a 30kph limit in Dublin, my bike can't go that slow!

To paraphrase the motoring lobby at the time of the introduction of a 30kph limit in Dublin, my bike can't go that slow!

I've seen you cycle so I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

But Bus lanes aren't exclusively for buses otherwise they'd be telling cyclists not to use them......an illogical argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But Bus lanes aren't exclusively for buses otherwise they'd be telling cyclists not to use them......an illogical argument

What's your angle here? Do you think there's a safety issue on that stretch of cycle path? I've been cycling, jogging and walking it for many years and have never encountered any major issues.

• Advertisement

It doesn't shagging well matter. Look at the repeated word in each of the above...CYCLE! If you ain't on a bike then stay the FCUK off the cyle track/path/lane/pad/whatever.
    What's your angle here? Do you think there's a safety issue on that stretch of cycle path? I've been cycling, jogging and walking it for many years and have never encountered any major issues.

The 1st quote would be my angle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Are the Gardaí going to stand on the roadside and use the speed guns on cyclists?

Good point. Some "sleeping policeman" ramps would seem a good idea.

The 1st quote would be my angle :)

"What's your angle" probably has connotations I didn't intend. I just don't think there's an issue with this stretch of cycle path.

"What's your angle" probably has connotations I didn't intend. I just don't think there's an issue with this stretch of cycle path.

Depends on which bit of it they are proposing to limit speeds on, there is a good chance that now cycle tracks are no longer obligatory that someones decided that the sections marked as cycle only should be reclassified and pedestrians be legally allowed to share the the tracks and enjoy the seafront walks

Depends on which bit of it they are proposing to limit speeds on, there is a good chance that now cycle tracks are no longer obligatory that someones decided that the sections marked as cycle only should be reclassified and pedestrians be legally allowed to share the the tracks and enjoy the seafront walks

Hold on just a minute now. Are you saying that you have to be able to share the track to enjoy the seafront walks when the actual pedestrian intended path is both wider than and closer to the seafront than the cycle part? Seriously?

Eh? Are you familiar with the area?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Eh? Are you familiar with the area?

Only under the bridge. Trolls like bridges.

• Advertisement

In the middle of the road tbh, but I'm sure you'd find as much fault with that :rolleyes:

Really, you do surprise me I wouldn't have thought many people would prefer to walk in the middle of the road, no accounting for some people you though eh?

fixed my own post :)

Advertisement