Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Speed Limits for Bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Funny alrite, another unenforced rule, just like the 30kph speed limit in the city center..
    They should concentrate on enforcing the 60kph speed limit on the James Larkin road first, some drivers and motorbikers seem to think that it's part of the M50...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

About time they done this some people can take the piss at times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I can't understand how this is going to work.

To obey a speed limit you should know what speed you are doing. For this reason all bikes should be factory equipped with speedometers. So how are they going to prosecute people for speeding on bicycles? At the moment speed limits apply only to motorised vehicles, as they are equipped with speedometers.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seweryn wrote: »
    I can't understand how this is going to work.

To obey a speed limit you should know what speed you are doing. For this reason all bikes should be factory equipped with speedometers. So how are they going to prosecute people for speeding on bicycles? At the moment speed limits apply only to motorised vehicles, as they are equipped with speedometers.

:confused:

Majority of roadies who would be breaking the speed limits will be using a speedometer or a garmin anyways, but I agree it's silly. Are the Gardaí going to stand on the roadside and use the speed guns on cyclists? It's such a waste of Gardai resources, have they genuinely nothing else to do? Arresting cyclists for breaking speed limits is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There were no speed limits being broken on the Clontarf TT Raceway cycle track this morning.....on the citybound side anyway.

But something did strike me, apart from the reasonably brisk head wind - if a speed limit is introduced, what happens when you get to the end of the Clontarf track at Fairview and proceed on the narrower, rougher track on the path by Fairview Park, or you opt to take the route through the park?

it seems a bit bonkers - to add to the the insanity of the original idea - that a limit would be imposed on a track physically separated from the pedestrian walkways along the prom, but as soon as you get on to a track that uses part of a footpad, with no separation from peds, all bets are off and there's no limit?

Where will it all end, Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hmm, I smell a government sponsored time trial zone...

Also, has anyone ever resisted the temptation to attempt to get one of those road side speed indicator signs into the red numbers?

They should stick a few of them along the track (probably end up putting them in the middle of the blasted thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Majority of roadies who would be breaking the speed limits will be using a speedometer or a garmin anyways, but I agree it's silly. Are the Gardaí going to stand on the roadside and use the speed guns on cyclists? It's such a waste of Gardai resources, have they genuinely nothing else to do? Arresting cyclists for breaking speed limits is ridiculous.

Jaysus, let's hope they won't be arresting people for it!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Its not calibrated or officially approved so isn't reliable to detirmine a speed in a legal sense as far as I know.

I have just applied for a position with the newly formed Garda Strava Segment Patrol. None shall escape punishment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

GoTilUBlow wrote: »

Great to see measures imported from the cycling paradise of Austrlia. What can go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Speed "regulation", only the journos appear to use the word "limit" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Will this mean that a cyclist cycling along the road (not on the cycle path) will not have to abide by the speed limit on the cycle track? (if a limit is set)

AFAIK speed limits on roads do not apply to bicycles and the use of the cycle track along Clontarf is not obligatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

as someone said earlier local elections coming up, plans to abolish/merge councils. so lots of people looking for an easy hit. whether it works or not is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

seamus wrote: »
    Speed "regulation", only the journos appear to use the word "limit" :)

The stickybottle story repeats the mistakes of the Indo headline regarding the confusion of speed regulation and speed limits. The NTA has no statutory role regarding speed limits; that's the job of the Department of Transport, who are nowhere namechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

God this is stupid. How on Earth am I suppose to know how fast I am going? How are they? Are there radar guns even calibrated for a small, non-reflective target? I love how the article mentions a "US-style limit", and then points out that the limit is for Central Park. Bikes aren't even allowed in Stephen's Green so it's a very disingenuous comparison.

They should slap a few "Go Slowly" signs, or some "<- Watch for Pedestrians ->" and "<- Watch for Cyclists ->" signs/roadmarkings at a few of the busier sections where pedestrians are likely to be crossing. I genuinely think reminding people to be civil to each other works a hell of a lot better than unenforceable rules.

Anyway, have there been a spate of cyclist/pedestrian collisions along there recently? Has there been a single one? Political show-boating, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

How do you regulate speed for cyclists?
    Gates? Those stupid dangerous bumps on the grand canal? traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lumen wrote: »
    Morons.

What I love about that post is the ambiguity as to who it might be aimed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It certainly has a Father Jack quality about it..........

• Advertisement

Here is an article from last year in Melbourne
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/whats-the-rush-planner-demands-cyclist-speed-limit-20120518-1yw89.html

Some loolah is looking for a 20kph limit for bikes in the city centre, while the motor vehicles are limited to 40kph. Suggests bikes could be a 'silent killer'.

I don't know if there is an update to this, or what the result of any associated election was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Stollaire wrote: »
    How do you regulate speed for cyclists?
    Gates? Those stupid dangerous bumps on the grand canal? traffic lights?

The Dutch use things called bromfietsdrempels to regulate the speed of mopeds on their cycle tracks. They're a type of ramp that causes minimal inconvenience to cyclists going at a medium pace.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_picture.php?picture_id=1966627

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's aimed at the people instituting a speed limit for bikes. I would have thought that was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The Dutch use things called bromfietsdrempels to regulate the speed of mopeds on their cycle tracks. They're a type of ramp that causes minimal inconvenience to cyclists going at a medium pace.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_picture.php?picture_id=1966627

they would be great for practicing jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Naw the Gardai don't even have to leave their desk. Here are the results for the Clontarf cyclopath. GPS certified, names excluded..... :pac:
    277282.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

deandean wrote: »
    Naw the Gardai don't even have to leave their desk. Here are the results for the Clontarf cyclopath. GPS certified, names excluded..... :pac:

Which segment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Which segment?

Clontarf Rd bike path Alfie Byrne-Vernon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is Strava admissable as evidence?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

check_six wrote: »
    Here is an article from last year in Melbourne
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/whats-the-rush-planner-demands-cyclist-speed-limit-20120518-1yw89.html

Some loolah is looking for a 20kph limit for bikes in the city centre, while the motor vehicles are limited to 40kph. Suggests bikes could be a 'silent killer'.

I don't know if there is an update to this, or what the result of any associated election was...

That's mind numbingly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

That's mind numbingly stupid.
    Yeah, but this is Australia, a place where cycling is seen as strange activity for strange people that need compulsory helmets and speed limits to be applied to.

Advertisement