Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Has RTÉ Choice been removed from Saorsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Has RTÉ Choice been removed from Saorsat?

It's been removed from Saorview, so I would imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

The two test service channels are back on,Seirbhis Thrialach looks a nice test card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

John896 wrote: »
    The two test service channels are back on,Seirbhis Thrialach looks a nice test card.

Are these on the same Multiplex/frequency or on a different multiplex/frequency? If so what is the test frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

It`s on the same frequency rte one+1 has been removed along with rte choice radio.

• Advertisement

It`s on the same frequency rte one+1 has been removed along with rte choice radio.

RTE1+1 only broadcasts after 7pm 19:00. Try scanning again after 19:00 RTE Choice radio has stopped broadcasting. It is also removed from Saorview terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zg3409 wrote: »
    RTE1+1 only broadcasts after 7pm 19:00. Try scanning again after 19:00 RTE Choice radio has stopped broadcasting. It is also removed from Saorview terrestrial.

Looks like RTÉ Choice has been AXED.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Looks like RTÉ Choice has been AXED.

RTÉ Radio 1Extra and RTÉ Choice had the same programming since Aug 2012 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86487975

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    RTÉ Radio 1Extra and RTÉ Choice had the same programming since Aug 2012 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86487975

Even still RTÉ just dropped it with little warning and the simucast of R1Extra programming was done very quickly.

RTÉ have no sense of Digital either on TV or Radio. Why keep RTÉ Gold? Why not repeat Golden oldy shows from R1 and 2fm on Gold? e.g. Larry Gogan, Ronan Collins, John Clarke, Micheal Cahill, John Credon, Risin' Time, Late Date etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or why not make some more decent new programs and forget about extra RTE Digital Stations. Then increase bitrate for the "real" stations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

So what are the service labels, SID and PIDs for therse channels? RTE 1_1 was SID 5108 with PIDs 5108/5208. Is it two TV services or one TV and two radio services? What about RTE 1 Extra - is this still on?

Earier I asked about RTE One HD - this is now announced for 21 October on DTT, and possibly TG4 HD as well I believe.

Is this what the two tests are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

On the basis that Saorsat copies the Saorview content except for TV3 and 3e, then I'd expect that RTE One HD and TG4 HD will be on Saorsat at the same time as Saorview.

On the basis that Saorsat copies the Saorview content except for TV3 and 3e, then I'd expect that RTE One HD and TG4 HD will be on Saorsat at the same time as Saorview.

Aparently these new services are DTT only for the time being.

Anyone with the satellite service SaoSat confirm what has happened on the RTE Choice channel - is this deleted or carrying RTE Gold?

I ask bcause the webstream that was RTE Choice is also carrying RTE Gold - identical to the RTE Gold stream. Can anyone confirm pleasse? Thanks.

Seirbhis Thrialach translates to Trail Service. so this is on satellite on the ssame frequency as the main SaoSat service - 20.185 L?

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Seirbhis Thrialach translates to Trail Service. so this is on satellite on the ssame frequency as the main SaoSat service - 20.185 L?

The trial can come and go. It is on the same frequency as other Saorsat services, however if you are located near Liverpool in the UK then you will not be able to receive the satellite services from Saorsat as, no matter the size of dish, a signal cannot be picked up as there is a similar signal "jamming" over the liverpool/scotland area from the same point in the Sky. Thus you would only get the stronger signal.

zg3409 wrote: »
    The trial can come and go. It is on the same frequency as other Saorsat services, however if you are located near Liverpool in the UK then you will not be able to receive the satellite services from Saorsat as, no matter the size of dish, a signal cannot be picked up as there is a similar signal "jamming" over the liverpool/scotland area from the same point in the Sky. Thus you would only get the stronger signal.

I realise that, and thanks for the info. Can you confirm if the "RTE Choice label has been removed and is RTE One +1 still there on 9 East?

Also, is there a mux on tht frequency that has TV on it that can be got in the UK or is it a data signal?

Thanks.

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    I realise that, and thanks for the info. Can you confirm if the "RTE Choice label has been removed and is RTE One +1 still there on 9 East?

I think it is gone, but I cannot confirm right now. The channel is no more
    Also, is there a mux on tht frequency that has TV on it that can be got in the UK or is it a data signal?

Thanks.

The UK and ROI has 3 spots on the same frequency. Only the ROI spot carries TV. The "East Scottish" and "NW France" seem to only carry encrypted internet downlinks, and also they carry a blank DVB-S (as opposed to DVB-S2) TV carrier on exacly 20.185 with no information on it, specifically to stop reception of RTE outside the main coverage area, as far as I can tell.
    I tested it on the ground near London and in Wales and others have tested in Machester.

There is a seperate thread on boards.ie in the "foreign satellite" section about other signals around 20Ghz being broadcast from other satellites. It's not for this thread, which is solely for Saorsat discussion.

They may charge RTE1 HD and TG4 extra money to broadcast more data on Saorsat, so the HD versions may not make it to Saorsat, but I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Can anyone confirm that reception of Saorsat is possible or otherwise in Ramsey, Isle of Mann? I know it's been received in Kirk Michael, but that's 9 miles to the south-west.

I've moved from the south-west of the Ise of Mann where Saorview reception was good from CC, 3R and Kippure, to the north-east where Saorview is blocked by the hills. I'm keen to hear from anyone who actually knows whether Saorsat is do-able up here as I'm missing RTE, TG4 etc., and UK freeview is driving me nuts with all the American sit-com repeats and teleshopping, as there's not much else on it! :/

Peddyr wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that reception of Saorsat is possible or otherwise in Ramsey, Isle of Mann? I know it's been received in Kirk Michael, but that's 9 miles to the south-west.

I've moved from the south-west of the Ise of Mann where Saorview reception was good from CC, 3R and Kippure, to the north-east where Saorview is blocked by the hills. I'm keen to hear from anyone who actually knows whether Saorsat is do-able up here as I'm missing RTE, TG4 etc., and UK freeview is driving me nuts with all the American sit-com repeats and teleshopping, as there's not much else on it! :/

Can you receive Divis/Black Mountain, in which case you may be able to get the NI mux. Only TG4, RTE1, and RTE2 with some blocking due to rights issues but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

The only real way is to try using a 1m solid dish or you could try the divis transmitter on rf channel 39 this is extremely strong anyway keep us posted.

I think the simple answer is no body knows. I have a confirmed OK report from Peel with a 1M diameter dish. I have an unreliable reception with a 1M dish from Station road. The signal dropped out during the rain. You could try ringing every installer on the Island for local knowledge.

The key thing to getting your location surveyed is

1) Get an installer that has installed Saorsat before

2) Confirm the equipment is working in say Peel, to confirm everything is setup properly. Also tuning in the channels with a strong signal makes it easier to setup for a weak signal.

3) Get a SOLD NON FIBREGLASS, non mesh, offset feed Dish. I would not worry about the size too much for testing. Often large dishes are fibreglass

4) Set up the dish with a normal LNB for 9 East channels then change the LNB for the special Saorsat LNB and peak the dish very carefully with a proper test meter. A 1M dish on Saorsat is VERY, VERY hard to align properly.

I can put you in touch with the guy in Peel if you send me a private message.

Finally let us know how you get on. I am keeping a record of failed or sucessful attempts to try give a coverage map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Given the possibility of reception of the NI minimux I would exhaust all possible terrestrial options before trying to obtain Saorsat reception.

On another tangent, does anyone have an idea of how many households use Saorsat as their method to receive RTE/TG4 etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

We carried out some test on the Isle of Man; a friend of mine lives there, ex BBC engineer. Signal levels are now better than when transmissions first started. Sorry I cannot give exact details. Test was carried out using a 1.2 meter solid dish. Field tests carried out Douglas to Port Erin, thought to the north including Ramsey, and the cost road back to Douglas, it could be patchy. Fixed Dish1.2M solid in the south over the winter months showed it could also lose signal in very heavy rain. The answer to Ramsey reception is, yes can be received, but holding on to signal could be the challenge in poor weather.
    DTT Transmissions from Three Rock Transmitter on the Dublin Mountainsnow using Group A, can be received on higher ground in the south of the Island

Thanks for all your useful and informative replies folks. Black mountain is CCI with local Ramsey Tx on 39 so a no-goer. Divis is CCI with Caldbeck so likewise. I'm just talking to a local sat installer who says he's installed for Saorsat up here.

More info as it progresses.

Thanks again to all. :)

Thanks for all your useful and informative replies folks. Black mountain is CCI with local Ramsey Tx on 39 so a no-goer. Divis is CCI with Caldbeck so likewise. I'm just talking to a local sat installer who says he's installed for Saorsat up here.

More info as it progresses.

Thanks again to all. :)

A local sat dealer up here says he's done a few Saorsat installations and top and bottom of it is, yes it can be received in Ramsey - for some of the time on a 1.2m dish but drops out a lot in bad weather, which basically all the time from here on until about June!

Looking at another option that involves Sky...

No terrestrial tv can be received here in Ramsey from any ROI tx due to the topography, so that's about all there is to report folks.

Looking at another option that involves Sky...

Yep, Sky from a Northern Ireland address gets you RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and RTE Jr with some blocking due to rights issues.

UTV HD will be available on SKY from the 4th November.

An ROI address gets you all channels currently on Saorview with some UK services missing ????

Not sure if Sky bother you if you don't have the appropriate phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Has anyone with Saorsat re-scanned since 21st Oct?

Has RTÉ One HD replaced the SD version?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Has anyone with Saorsat re-scanned since 21st Oct?

Has RTÉ One HD replaced the SD version?

Thanks

Not for me and I've also lost RTEJr since these two test cards went live.

• Advertisement

Hello again.

RTE Junior should still be there I thought - but on a separate stream to RTE 1+1.

Has there been any further changes here since 21 October? I assume the two test cards are still active? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement