Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

The Cush wrote: »
    RTE R1+/ RTE 2FM+ are both back again after a retune, 16 services found on DAB Ireland Mux1. Anyone out there with a DAB+ receiver to confirm that they're DAB+ tests? I should be able to check later this week or early next week, I've ordered the new Roberts ecologic 15 DAB/ DAB+/ FM RDS clock radio :D

Yep, I checked and they're both DAB+ with a scrolling text saying "This a DAB+ test".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yep, I checked and they're both DAB+ with a scrolling text saying "This a DAB+ test".

Thanks for confirming that Charles. No scrolling text on those channels with a regular DAB receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

The text is interspersed with a message to retune, the details of what's on now and next and the following text -

Trial DAB+ Service of RTE Radio 1

and

Trial DAB+ Service of RTE 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Maybe it was coming from Dublin's Three Rock (due to atmospheric conditions) rather than 'CC'

Quite possibly, but I've never received the RTE DAB mux before or since so it was strange that it coincided with the start of Digital One in the province.

Due to essential infrastructure work, transmission from Clermont Carn will be off air for up to 6 hours from 10am on 13th September.

This work will affect the DAB Radio service from this transmission site.

RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work

I assume this will only affect DAB and not TV transmissions ?

It'll be interesting to see if anything changes with the DAB afterwards.

More recent DAB coverage map from Dec 2009 here including Kippure coverage area - http://www.digitalradio.ie/images/DAB_Dec09_hiRes.jpg

http://www.digitalradio.ie/can-i-get-dab/

28cn193.jpg

Coverage is predicted for 1.5m above ground.

Reciption threshold is:
    48 dBuV/m – outdoor car radio
    57 dBuV/m – indoor kitchen radio
    64 dBuV/m – pocket radio

According to Comreg the ERPs allowed for the DAB transmitters are
    - Clermont Carn 5kW
    - Kippure 20kW
    - Spur Hill 10kW
    - Three Rock 20kW
    - Woodcock Hill 10kw

Clermont Carn restricted NW-SE 0-170 degs and 330-360 degs
    Three Rock restricted NE-SW 30-230 degs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Clermont Carn restricted NW-SE 0-170 degs and 330-360 degs

Any reason for this ?

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Any reason for this ?

There must be, I don't know it.

Is the 12C frequency allocated to any local multiplex in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

There must be, I don't know it.

Is the 12C frequency allocated to any local multiplex in NI.

I search but can't find any for NI but in NW England, MXR, and they are switching off 12C on the 24th

http://www.a516digital.com/p/uk-dab-frequency-allocations.html

another website show no 12C for NI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom#DAB_frequency_plan

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

Was getting all of the RTE DAB stations until a few days ago from Three Rock I think, now only the conmmercial stations (Sunshine, Amazing etc) are there no sign of RTe. Anyone else getting this?

Fredd wrote: »
    Was getting all of the RTE DAB stations until a few days ago from Three Rock I think, now only the conmmercial stations (Sunshine, Amazing etc) are there no sign of RTe. Anyone else getting this?

There were some changes to the RTÉ DAB multiplex last Wed which required a full retune/factory reset (see from post #1588 on).

All working OK for me from Woodcock Hill.

• Advertisement

Retune (RTE Jr/RTE Chill audio) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE 2XM audio) ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE GOLD audio) ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE R1x audio) ... [Mono 80 Kbps]
    Retune (RTE Pulse audio) ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]

These 5 duplicates have now been removed from DAB.

The RTÉ R1+ and 2FM+ DAB+ tests are also off air.

9 services found after reset/prune. RTE Radio 1Extra and RTE Jr Radio now transmitting on 112 Kbps Joint Stereo, up from 80 Kbps Mono

RTE Radio 1 ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE Radio 1Extra ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]

RTE 2FM ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE 2XM ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]

RTE RnaG ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]
    RTE LYRIC ... [Stereo J 160 Kbps]

RTE GOLD ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]
    RTE Jr Radio (0730-2100) / RTE Chill (2100-0700) ... [Stereo J 112 Kbps]
    RTE PULSE ... [Stereo J 128 Kbps]

Scrolling text: Please prune/trim station list to remove inactive radio services

Edit @ 1730: RTÉ R1+ and 2FM+ DAB+ tests have returned

RTE Radio 1 + ... [48kbps / DAB+]
    RTE 2FM + ... [48kbps / DAB+]

bitrates on some of the other channels have reduced as a result
    - RTE Radio 1Extra down to 80 Kbps
    - RTE Jr Radio down to 80 kbps
    - RTE PULSE down to 112 Kbps

Edit @ 2315: DAB+ tests off-air, bitrates back to their previous values
    - RTE Radio 1Extra up to 112 Kbps
    - RTE Jr Radio up to 112 kbps
    - RTE PULSE up to 128 Kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Is there any official word from RTÉ on when / why RTÉ Choice was removed from DAB and Saorview

Is there any official word from RTÉ on when / why RTÉ Choice was removed from DAB and Saorview

Nothing official from RTÉ.

Same programming on both channels since Aug 2012 - http://ilikeradio.net/2012/08/. According to this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83167493 from last Jan the schedules of RTE Radio 1Extra and RTE Choice have been the same since then.

RTE Choice was mentioned in RTÉ 2011 Annual report (summer 2012)
    • RTÉ Choice - the best of international public radio and RTÉ feature archives

• RTÉ Radio 1 Extra - a catch-up and split-content service for RTÉ Radio 1

but gone from the 2012 Annual report (summer 2013)
    • RTÉ Radio 1 Extra - the best of international public radio and RTÉ feature archives while offering a catch-up and split content service for RTÉ Radio 1.

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/01/rte-radio-1-extra-announces-end-of-uk.html
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1787337

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Saorview should move RTÉ Gold and RTÉjr/RTÉ Chill up one position

206 RTE 2XM
    207 RTE Gold
    208 RTEjr Radio / RTE Chill

Edit @ 1730: RTÉ R1+ and 2FM+ DAB+ tests have returned

bitrates on some of the other channels have reduced as a result
    - RTE Radio 1Extra down to 80 Kbps
    - RTE Jr Radio down to 80 kbps
    - RTE PULSE down to 112 Kbps

In its 5 year strategy published today RTÉ says it proposes to roll out digital radio to approx. 80% of the population during the lifetime of the strategy using the DAB+ standard, dependant on commercial radio involvement and a national digital radio policy
    Description

Since 2009, RTÉ has operated a Digital Terrestrial Radio service based on the DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) standard which provides coverage to about 52% of the population from 5 transmitter sites. RTÉ provides all its radio stations on the DAB multiplex, including its digital radio stations.

RTÉ would wish to start the roll-out of a digital terrestrial radio platform on a phased basis to approx 80% of the population of Ireland within the course of this strategy and to actively market the service to audiences. It is proposed that the DAB+ standard is adopted, which is the second generation of DAB. DAB+ is more spectrum efficient than DAB which means more services can be accommodated, increasing consumer choice and the attractiveness of the platform.

Depending on take-up of digital radio, RTÉ’s digital stations, which are also available online, have the potential to enable RTÉ to address underserved audiences, such as younger listeners and migrants.

However, it is recognised that the successful launch of a DAB+ service is dependent on RTÉ working positively with the commercial radio companies. The Broadcasting Act provides the legislative basis for licensing of digital radio, but European experience shows there is a need for national regulatory and policy initiatives to ensure broadcasters’ engagement and to give etailers, manufacturers, potential new market entrants and, importantly, the public, confidence in the platform.

There is an understandable caution within the industry towards the development of Digital Radio. The proposition is complex, will require new transmission models and a degree of reinvention of the market, e.g. provision for new entrants.

Some see the DAB standard as an ‘old’ digital technology and believe Ireland should concentrate on newer digital technology instead; particularly IP (internet protocol).

Nonetheless, RTÉ believes that digital terrestrial radio has a vital role to play as the digital free-to-air universal backbone of Irish radio in an open and convergent media ecology.

In the event that it became public policy to roll out a national digital terrestrial radio service, RTÉ would support this policy by:

• Investing in the necessary DAB+ transmitters to extend coverage to 80% of population, the cost being dependent on frequency and network plans.
    • Working with manufacturers and mobile operators to improve indoor and mobile reception of digital radio receivers.

In the meantime, RTÉ will work closely with key stakeholders to improve their interest in and engagement with terrestrial digital radio to increase the appeal of the technology to investors, broadcasters and audiences. We will continue to develop our digital radio services, providing attractive content that appeals to listeners and extends the choice of services available to them. We will trial content from our digital channels on our analogue services and, where appropriate, showcase the best of originated speech and music content to the larger audiences available on the analogue stations.

We will continue to develop our digital radio services, providing attractive content that appeals to listeners and extends the choice of services available to them. We will trial content from our digital channels on our analogue services and, where appropriate, showcase the best of originated speech and music content to the larger audiences available on the analogue stations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Presume that's the five existing sites + Mt Leinster, Truskmore, Mt Leinster, Maghera and maybe some of the big town infills?

They should go ahead and upgrade Greystones, Gallows Hill, Tonabrockey, Knockmoyle, Kilduff, Clonmel and maybe 1/2 others while they're at it and do a proper job

marno21 wrote: »
    Presume that's the five existing sites + Mt Leinster, Truskmore, Mt Leinster, Maghera and maybe some of the big town infills?

They should go ahead and upgrade Greystones, Gallows Hill, Tonabrockey, Knockmoyle, Kilduff, Clonmel and maybe 1/2 others while they're at it and do a proper job

+ Mullaghanish to cover much of south Munster, areas not covered by either Woodcock Hill or Spur Hill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Instead of putting in Mullaghanish, I put in Mt Leinster twice, oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

All the main high sites should have been done from the start, I bet we'll be lucky if Mt.Leinster, Mullaghanish, Truskmore and Maghera will eventually be "Dabbed", never mind the local low power sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And remove the directional restrictions on the likes of kippure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dabfan

The problem with using high sites such as Truskmore, Maghera, Mullaghnish ect is that the coverage can be too great. This causes problems when planning a single frequency network. DAB SFN network tend to use more lower power TX's, rather then fewer high power "high sites".
    Timing is critical with a SFN.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And remove the directional restrictions on the likes of kippure!
    And Clermont Carn

Clermont Carn is already upgraded. I'd assume if they were permitted to broadcast into NI they would be doing so.

With regards to Mullaghanish, Maghera having too much coverage, the only other alternative is to start using new sites and this is RTE so that is not going to happen. If they wanted to use other sites in Cork they'd have to start on Mt Hillary, Nowen Hill, Kilworth, Clonakilty etc and that would get them coverage which would be much worse than Mullaghanish. Same with Kerry, central, east and south Kerry coverage would be a lot worse without Mullaghanish (Radio Kerry don't have a 20kW site on Mullaghanish for nothing)

DAB+ tests back today

Scrolling text Trial DAB+ Service of RTE Radio 1 & Trial DAB+ Service of RTE 2FM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I retuned my DAB radio and I have a load of stations all called RETUNE, but I have just retuned, so what are they playing at? They appear to have renamed all the stations 'RETUNE'.

I congratulate them on moving towards DAB+ but why this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I retuned my DAB radio and I have a load of stations all called RETUNE, but I have just retuned, so what are they playing at? They appear to have renamed all the stations 'RETUNE'.

See if your radio has a 'trim' function, this will clean out the old stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I retune and can see RTE1 and RTE1+, could someone please tell me in plain English if I should choose RTE1+ over RTE1 and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

coylemj wrote: »
    If I retune and can see RTE1 and RTE1+, could someone please tell me in plain English if I should choose RTE1+ over RTE1 and why?

RTE1+ is a test station and may change or stop at any time. You can decide if that is what you want. The audio quality may be lower or higher depending on the tests they are doing.

Will Truskmore broadcast DAB or would the fact that it is close to Northern Ireland have a bearing on it,would it affect their DAB transmitters?

• Advertisement

I congratulate them on moving towards DAB+ but why this nonsense?

They changed the SIDs for a couple of the stations about 2 weeks ago, go back a few pages for the discussion. The old SIDs/stations were renamed "Retune" for about a week but continued to carry the same audio with scrolling text informing listeners to retune to update their channels list. A week later these duplicates were shut down. The new SIDs/stations have the correct station name. As coylemj posts above do a full retune or prune/trim to remove them from the channel list.

Advertisement