Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: Round 15 - Japanese Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ah balls! :(

Come on Mark - get enough of a lead for a cushion and pit-stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

"Go get him"

"Great job, Sebastian"

:D

Didn't realise Vettel had put on the softer tyres, maybe a chance towards the end with Webber closing down. Maybe.

EDIT: I'm wrong :P Webber should close up anyway, hope he can do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Didn't realise Vettel had put on the softer tyres, maybe a chance towards the end with Webber closing down. Maybe.

He didn't, he's on hards (as is Grosjean).

"Tell him to stay away from me!"

LOL

• Advertisement

Damnit Hulk. :(

Webber better hurry up and get this move done quickly.

Vettel's race. Shouldn't have expected anything else I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Can't see Webber doing it, pity.

Good riddance to Mark, it'll be nice to have someone next season who might be able to challenge Vettel now and then at least.

So one Sebastian ruined WRC for many - and now another is doing it to F1. Two gifted guys, but making the sports mind-numingly boring all the same. :(

• Advertisement

It's funny seeing the difference between Alonso and some other people out of the chicane. Alonso actually has the sense to realise that being directly behind someone destroys traction (who knew!?) and doesn't follow them until halfway on the straight for a slipstream while certain other people just follow the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

vettel has it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

F1 maybe boring but you can't blame Vettel, another world class performance.

F1 maybe boring but you can't blame Vettel, another world class performance.
    I don't blame Vettel - just pointing out the co-incidence. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good riddance to Mark, it'll be nice to have someone next season who might be able to challenge Vettel now and then at least.

today once again proves webber has no place in a top car. Had every advantage right from the start and still lost out by a massive margin to Seb.

today once again proves webber has no place in a top car. Had every advantage right from the start and still lost out by a massive margin to Seb.
    Yes - coming 2nd in a Formula 1 race to only your team-mate proves you've no place in F1 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

and still lost out by a massive margin to Seb.

7 seconds gap for an extra pitstop?

Perhaps not, Gary Anderson and Mark Webber have both just speculated that he was put on a strategy that was deliberately slower than Vettel's. Putting him on a 3 stopper guaranteed he couldn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Top Dog wrote: »
    Yes - coming 2nd in a Formula 1 race to only your team-mate proves you've no place in F1 :rolleyes:

that's not what I said.
    7 seconds gap for an extra pitstop?
    given how the race played out yeah, it's a massive gap. Could have easily made that up at the end but blew it as usual.

• Advertisement

given how the race played out yeah, it's a massive gap. Could have easily made that up at the end but blew it as usual.

It's easy to make up a 7 second gap to Vettel who's on pretty fresh tyres & with a Lotus in the way?

I think Webber would have easily won the race had it not been for the extra stop

that's not what I said.
    True - you said top car. But really - where's the difference when the lower teams only seem to be there to make up the numbers?

I'll concede that it did take him 9 laps to get past Grojean in the end, but seriously? Name one current driver that could have passed a Lotus, made up a 7 second gap AND passed Vettel in the space of 11 laps?!

Top Dog wrote: »
    Name one current driver that could have passed a Lotus, made up a 7 second gap AND passed Vettel in the space of 11 laps?!

Well, Vettel was afraid of just that ("Tell him to stay away from me with his fresh tyres").

OTH, Vettel's move on Grosjean was just class. Unlike Webber he didn't wait for the slipstream, out of the last turn they came, Vettel opened his DRS, pulled out right away and reeled in that Lotus nice and tidy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think Webber would have easily won the race had it not been for the extra stop

Easily won? I'm not sure about that. Vettel was maintaining a small gap behind him and was kinder on his tyres as is usual. If Webber had stayed on a 2 stop strategy Vettel still would have been the stronger finisher I reckon.
    Torqay wrote: »
    Well, Vettel was afraid of just that ("Tell him to stay away from me with his fresh tyres").

OTH, Vettel's move on Grosjean was just class. Unlike Webber he didn't wait for the slipstream, out of the last turn they came, Vettel opened his DRS, pulled out right away and reeled in that Lotus nice and tidy.

As far I as I understood it the comment from Vettel was referring to Perez in front of him not Mark? Or maybe you mean another time.

Brundle mentioned during the race that Vettel's DRS was closed half way down the straight - Vettel said afterwards that he lifted off the throttle as Grosjean twitched a bit so the DRS closed and he only turned it back on a bit later. Still had enough to get passed obviously.

Barring a few lock ups like everyone else Vettel drove a pretty measured race I thought.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Easily won? I'm not sure about that. Vettel was maintaining a small gap behind him and was kinder on his tyres as is usual. If Webber had stayed on a 2 stop strategy Vettel still would have been the stronger finisher I reckon

Perhaps not easily, but not pitting for the third time would have given him far more than the 7 seconds he needed

Andrew76 wrote: »
    As far I as I understood it the comment from Vettel was referring to Perez in front of him not Mark? Or maybe you mean another time.

You think, RB sent a lad down to the McLaren box and tell them to reign their driver in???

No, he was was referring to Webber, who he knew would be flying it on his fresh set of medium tyres. He didn't expect Webber having problems with Grosjean for a couple of laps.

It's easy to make up a 7 second gap to Vettel who's on pretty fresh tyres & with a Lotus in the way?
    Should've been. Vettel managed to get past Grosjean quickly enough, Webber then catches him when Grosjean's tyres are older and can get past. See the difference?
    Except that Mark was using up his tyres much more quickly and pretty much had to make 3 stops.

Perhaps not easily, but not pitting for the third time would have given him far more than the 7 seconds he needed

Except that not pitting would have left him on the tyres he kept blowing. The extra pitstop didn't cost him, his inability to mind tyres put him onto the 3-stop strategy (which was likely faster on the computer) and his inability to get the job done on Grosjean is what cost him.

• Advertisement

Should've been. Vettel managed to get past Grosjean quickly enough, Webber then catches him when Grosjean's tyres are older and can get past. See the difference?

Except that Mark was using up his tyres much more quickly and pretty much had to make 3 stops.

He didn't have to make three stops. He was on course for his target lap to make a two stop when the team changed strategy as they said they needed to do it to beat Grosjean, he asked if they were sure and they said yes. In reality it appears as though this was RB engineering the correct 1-2 knowing Webber wouldn't pull over for Seb.

Advertisement