Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I feel like I'm kinda "stuck" at 30 minutes, I'm finding it really hard to do runs longer than that. Should I just keep doing 30 minutes until I'm more comfortable before moving to longer runs?

Try slowing down a bit and pushing it longer? Get some super motivational music and convince yourself you can do it? :) I only managed mine by slowing down a bit for a few mins then back up again

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I feel like I'm kinda "stuck" at 30 minutes, I'm finding it really hard to do runs longer than that. Should I just keep doing 30 minutes until I'm more comfortable before moving to longer runs?
    Not sure how fast you're running Ivy but when I got to 30 mins I wasn't doing a full 5k. After I'd run 30 mins a few times I started pushing myself to keep going until I got to 5k.

I wouldn't really set out to do 5k, I'd tell myself I was just going to do the 30 mins and see if I was able to keep going after that. It was just another milestone to aim for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Back from a great holiday in Portugal so need to get back into it tomorrow :-( it feels like I haven't run for weeks!! Dreading it now! Mini marathon is Sunday! :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Week 6 Run 1 :o

Had three physio sessions in ten days there and have a brand new stretching and strengthening work out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Week 2D3 - 4 Reps of 12mins running followed by 1min brisk walk.

I can see progress :D although I realised that I need to take a day rest in between these runs, my leg got a bit sore yesterday and still a bit niggley today.

Off celebrating this weekend so I'll get back into it on Monday,Wednesday & Friday.I think breaking it should stop any aches forming.I can't believe I'm actually running 8k now!!

Has anyone signed up or know of any events in October?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Week 2D3 - 4 Reps of 12mins running followed by 1min brisk walk.

I can see progress :D although I realised that I need to take a day rest in between these runs, my leg got a bit sore yesterday and still a bit niggley today.

Off celebrating this weekend so I'll get back into it on Monday,Wednesday & Friday.I think breaking it should stop any aches forming.I can't believe I'm actually running 8k now!!

Has anyone signed up or know of any events in October?

I wrote 5k on my calendar for 6th oct but cleverly forgot to write down what the event was :pac:

Ah, it's in clontarf
    There's a 6k in kilcock as well
    And this
    https://www.dubsimon.ie/funrun/FunRunRegistrationHome.aspx?eventid=1
    That's 5 miles, I think I'll register for it actually. Can walk some of it if I have to!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wrote 5k on my calendar for 6th oct but cleverly forgot to write down what the event was :pac:

Ah, it's in clontarf
    There's a 6k in kilcock as well
    And this
    https://www.dubsimon.ie/funrun/FunRunRegistrationHome.aspx?eventid=1
    That's 5 miles, I think I'll register for it actually. Can walk some of it if I have to!

Great, I'll have a look through them.I'm going to try to get an event in each month to keep motivated.

I will be a home for a few weeks end September beg. October. Whats on? 5K would be fine distance for me at this stage.

fits wrote: »
    I will be a home for a few weeks end September beg. October. Whats on? 5K would be fine distance for me at this stage.
    The Rathfarnham 5k is on the 29th of September.

There's a 5k race out my way on Saturday next week and I'm toying with the idea but not sure if I could be bothered.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ice Storm wrote: »
    The Rathfarnham 5k is on the 29th of September.

There's a 5k race out my way on Saturday next week and I'm toying with the idea but not sure if I could be bothered.

Rathfarnham 5k is a great race, well worth doing. Huge range of abilities too, from some seriously fast elites to first-timers finishing in 40+ minutes. Course is net downhill (the downhill start bit near the shopping centre is repeated and most of the rest of the course is flat).

Usually some decent goodies too - compression tops a few times and sports bags the first year I did it.

• Advertisement

Well I did it!!! Did 6.4km mini marathon in 44 mins! And that's with a bit of walking in between also! Delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

leahyl wrote: »
    Well I did it!!! Did 6.4km mini marathon in 44 mins! And that's with a bit of walking in between also! Delighted with myself!

Well done! I did it today as well but my friend isn't a runner so we walked, 65 mins. Saw heaps of people fall, hope you weren't among them!

pampootie wrote: »
    Well done! I did it today as well but my friend isn't a runner so we walked, 65 mins. Saw heaps of people fall, hope you weren't among them!

Really?!! No I didn't fall thank god! At one point I thought I might have thrown up alright...! So I slowed down for a good 3/4 mins I'd say and I started again! It's amazing the feeling after you're finished though - such relief and pride in oneself at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

If anyone is blogging on Wordpress, they are organising a global 5K run thing: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/automattics-worldwide-wp-5k-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone else having trouble keeping up the running/jogging since the schools went back? My C25K was mon/weds/fri evenings. The first week of Sept was in dissarry, I put it down to back to school, hubbie's birthday and wedding anniversary.

Now hubbie has started back in RDF training and that has switched from Tues nights to Mon nights. Thurs nights badminton has started back for me. Plus I want to spend some time with our son in the evenings after work before he goes to bed at 9. Between getting home from work at 6, cooking tea, doing homework and spending time together, it is hard to find 30 mins to get out 3 times a week. I can't see me dragging my ass out of bed in the mornings, it's hard enough to get up as it is!

Have only one day of wk5 done so far in the last 2 weeks :(

^ Don't I know!! it's all go go go once the kids get back to school! I suppose you'll just have to see were you can squeeze in the time as you go along.

I'm working from home so luckily I can squeeze time in before the kids get home, otherwise It would prove difficult between dinners,homework,football training ect..

I haven't ran since Friday, my upper outer thigh is still at me, not sure what it is but hoping that a bit of rest will clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    ^ Don't I know!! it's all go go go once the kids get back to school! I suppose you'll just have to see were you can squeeze in the time as you go along.

I'm working from home so luckily I can squeeze time in before the kids get home, otherwise It would prove difficult between dinners,homework,football training ect..

I haven't ran since Friday, my upper outer thigh is still at me, not sure what it is but hoping that a bit of rest will clear it up.

I'm the same have been a bit all over the place since school started back. Have abandoned the couch25k and went out with hubby a few times. However I'm missing having a plan so am going to do the last few weeks of it again and then move on to something else! I'm missing it keeping me calm!! ;)

I have loads of free time but I've been finding it hard to push myself to go out since it's started to feel like autumn.

Also, since I've been working up to 10k I find it harder to go out for the longer runs. Between getting to and from the place that I run and the actual run, it takes about an hour which feels like a really long time and it's off putting knowing I'll be out that long!

I went out today for the first time since Friday but I really had to force myself and decided I'd just do 5k.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Am finding it hard too since the weather has turned although I think I just got scared by Week 7 for some reason. I might go back to the start of Week 6 and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm the opposite, I find it easier since the weather turned here in France; much more bearable to run when it's cooler!

• Advertisement

I did a local 5k race yesterday. I hadn't been preparing for it as I only signed up for it a few days before and I only ran once in the last week.

Decided to give it a lash anyway and improved my time slightly! :) I took off like a bat out of hell because most of the runners were much faster than me! I had to make an effort to slow down after a few minutes because there was no way I'd be able to keep going at that speed. :P

The fast start made it difficult for me later on but I made it and I was happy to get a new PB!! :D

I'm super motivated now to do another race. I'm thinking I might do the Simon Fun Run (5 miles) on October 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I dis 4km today. The heat and hills killed me.

Well done Ice Storm. I'm possibly doing the Simon Fun Run too.

Well done Ice storm, I bet it feels great having a new PB.

I did the Balbriggan 10K today..I felt quite nervous this morning, I kept thinking that that I wouldn't be able and that I'd end up walking after the 5k mark.

I ended up finishing in 58mins so I felt/feel quite good now :) looking forward to the Simon fun run now :)

Wow well done Candy Girl, that's a great achievement! You must be delighted with yourself.

There's no way I'd be able for 10k yet; I'll have my work cut out getting up to 5 miles in the next three weeks but I'm feeling positive about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I've just started back at this today - Day 1 Week 1 - after a long break away from it due to injuries and other commitments. I'd like to be able to do a 5k run at the end of October, if I can stick with it! :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Took an unintentional break of a couple of weeks, should have been on Week 7 Day 1 but this morning I went out and did Week 6 Day 1. It was tough enough, I have to say. Hopefully no more backward slides after this.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Wow well done Candy Girl, that's a great achievement! You must be delighted with yourself.

There's no way I'd be able for 10k yet; I'll have my work cut out getting up to 5 miles in the next three weeks but I'm feeling positive about it. :)

Yeah I'm chuffed :) ....You might just surprise yourself Ice Storm, I honestly didn't think I'd do it as I've been struggling the past while. I decided to run without music, I have to say I believe that's how I made it through. I noticed that I tend to run that bit faster listening to music, without I'm able to concentrate that bit more on a slower pace.

There's a new park run starting this Saturday 28th in St Anne's Raheny,free 5k timed run for anyone interested. https://www.facebook.com/stannesparkrun?fref=ts

I'm back in Ireland, sans trainers as I just couldnt fit them into my luggage... and well, they're over ten years old. Where is a good spot to buy some? Gait analysis or at least expert fitting is probably a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

fits wrote: »
    I'm back in Ireland, sans trainers as I just couldnt fit them into my luggage... and well, they're over ten years old. Where is a good spot to buy some? Gait analysis or at least expert fitting is probably a good idea.

I like Elverys, if there's one near you?

They do gait analysis, and give proper advice, not a generic sales spiel.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I just wouldn't have the first idea what to look for so need some expert help.

Advertisement