Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

fits wrote: »
    Thanks, I just wouldn't have the first idea what to look for so need some expert help.

I can't recommended Amphibian King enough, great service and really helpful staff. They record your foot strike and suggest runners to suit your gait analysis. I'm not sure if you're anywhere near their stores but I'll leave the link and you can check them out.

http://www.amphibianking.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    I can't recommended Amphibian King enough, great service and really helpful staff. They record your foot strike and suggest runners to suit your gait analysis. I'm not sure if you're anywhere near their stores but I'll leave the link and you can check them out.

http://www.amphibianking.ie/

Thanks! Appointment booked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Take time off for exams, lose all speed. Grrr! Just about managed 4k today 31 mins and included walking

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

bluewolf wrote: »
    Take time off for exams, lose all speed. Grrr! Just about managed 4k today 31 mins and included walking

Don't beat yourself up about it, bad days are par for the course. Happens me at least once a week. :P

You'll be in flying form on your next run bluewolf, I'm always the same after a couple of days off...I just expect it now :D don't let it put you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I ran 5km for the first time ever yesterday! It took me close to 40 minutes to do it but I don't care! I only started running in June so I'm happy. I think I'll sign up to a 5km race at the end of October.

I ran 5km for the first time ever yesterday! It took me close to 40 minutes to do it but I don't care! I only started running in June so I'm happy. I think I'll sign up to a 5km race at the end of October.

Well done!, you should do it's great for motivation.

I did the St Anne's 5k parkrun this morning, very well organised & great atmosphere. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it.

Woohoo, new shoes, tis like having wee rocket boosters on my feet :D

Not really, but I really am a hell of a lot less sore after it. Did a 25 minute run this morning no bother.. whereas the hips were feeling it before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I really shouldn't have done the race this morning considering the state I'm in. Still, down from 38:50 (or whatever the phoenix park one was) to 37:30.
    Hurray
    Probably due to lack of hills!!

Now I'm going to crawl off and die

BW if you have one, take a bath today. It really helps recovery.
    Eat plenty of protein too and you'll be right as rain in no time :D

• Advertisement

Check and check! Just out of the epsom bath there now! Christ, I don't know what I did to my back. I really pulled something a couple days ago and it only kicked in last night. At least after the bath I can sort of breathe deeply again without it stabbing me

</whingeyface>

Thank you! :)

Did anyone else do today's one? rathfarnham?

So that niggling in my thigh is a strained muscle, it flared up yesterday while out running..I ended up limping home. The Doctor gave me anti inflammatory tablets and told me to rest up for three weeks :eek: I can then slowly ease my way back into exercise :(

I just hope it heals and it's not going to be a recurring issue.

^ Sorry to hear that :(

I have been running. Went over 5K for first time on Monday. But ran about 4K of it. Was supposed to go out today again, but the weather was just rotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Well done!, you should do it's great for motivation.

I did the St Anne's 5k parkrun this morning, very well organised & great atmosphere. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it.

I was thinking of going along to one of these if I can drag myself out of bed early enough! What kind of numbers would normally be there?

Holy **** I jogged for a whole fcuking hour. An HOUR

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Well done, Bluey! \0/
    Next stop, half marathon ;)

Ha ha :D the day that treadmill says 10k I'll be happy :D
    had great craic altogether, the only channel working was showing Teleshopping :D

Go on ya good thing ya!

Slow and steady for the long runs ;)

anndub wrote: »
    I was thinking of going along to one of these if I can drag myself out of bed early enough! What kind of numbers would normally be there?

I'm not too sure, last weeks was the first one held in St Anne's with 233 people, I'd imagine it would be considerably less every other weekend.Sure give it a shot, you'll have fun regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Doing my 1st run tomorrow. 6k in kilcock anyone else doing it?

• Advertisement

Had a horrible run today! I headed out and thought I would try and up my pace a bit. Did a km in 6 minutes 59 seconds which is a personal best. Did 5 k in total but I had to walk in the middle after setting off so fast.

I am frustrated! I ran a 10 km race (the mini marathon) in 68 minutes after training for less than two months ten years ago. Now, I have been training since June and I am so frikkin slow. And its my legs and hips are the reason. My aerobic, cardiovascular fitness is fine.

I know I am being stupid and should just content myself with running at the slow pace for the time being...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Did the 6k. 37:52 never ran more than 4k before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Going to join this thread,

started couch 2 5k three months ago and now run the park runs each sat, with two runs during the week on treadmill our road depending on the weather.

I do the park run in 30 - 31 minutes, any tips on improving this? I do the first 3km at an avg of 6m per k. But then I struggle and it widens to 6.3-7m a km and I feel I really need to stop (usually ok when I get to 4k odd).

Not sure if I should slow it down at the start or just keep going?

Slow down at the start, speed up for the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Started Week 3 yesterday. I didn't know if I'd be able to manage the 3 min runs without keeling over but I did it! Looking forward to doing W3D2 tomorrow, it's addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I'm doing week 4 of the couch to 5K this week. Signing up for run in the dark in November as a goal. Really enjoying it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

frogstar wrote: »
    I do the park run in 30 - 31 minutes, any tips on improving this? I do the first 3km at an avg of 6m per k. But then I struggle and it widens to 6.3-7m a km and I feel I really need to stop (usually ok when I get to 4k odd).

Not sure if I should slow it down at the start or just keep going?

Just to say that I am no running coach or trainer, just what I done myself with the running group that I train with.

I was the opposite to you slow at the start and faster at the end . (you would be surprised as to how many people you overtake :)). I just wanted to finish and not collapse at the end.
    I was told the best thing to do is to average out the pace, it takes more effort to run in peaks and troughs.

Maybe you should look at different types of training
    http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Running-Speed-and-Endurance
    The Interval Training – is what I have done in the past

http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Your-Running-Stamina

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/Intervals.htm

So maybe go out at 80% of the speed you start at and keep it going for as long as you can, it may help.

Also maybe think about joining running club, fit4life is a scheme that most clubs have, type it into Google to fine a club near you. The have groups from beginners to people running 8 and 9 minutes miles. It may be worth a look as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Any one know where can you can get reflective armbands? Struggling to find them in sport shops.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sportsdirect.com?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You could try cycling shops also.

Advertisement