Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

^ That's happened me too with the GPS, very frustrating!!

I want to run, but I've hurt my ankle so I'm resting it until it feels better. Hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hope you are on the mend Ice Storm

Went to Lidl at around 10 this morning. There was loads of stuff left, except for the running socks, they'd been well and truly snapped up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Himself got some lidl things for me as well. Will be good to have some spares.

I'm taking an extra rest day. Sciatica has really flared up and my left leg is sore and tight. Going to go to local winterswimming club ( I.e sauna by a lake) to see if that will ease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jw30

I got a blast of stuff from LIDL yesterday too. Tried out the compression socks yesterday evening (W5D2).......think they helped my legs weren't as sore as Tuesday (still sore though lol). Could all be in my head but either way is good if it helps :-)

• Advertisement

W7R2 today. It was quite easy. I turned endomondo off and just enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Amazing!
    Going to get back to it tomorrow :)
    5k is next week :rolleyes:

The foam roller is a big help. If you have any tight spots in your legs/hips/glutes I really recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

W7D3 tonight - I found the first 2 days of this week tough enough so hopefully after a 4 day break ill be energised and ready to give it socks tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Great to see so many people running. I hadn't run for 6weeks and went out yesterday and thought I would die. I did 4k in the 30min and ran solidly so happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Supposed to be w6d3 today but jogged 33 min and sprinted 1. Covered 4.3k and i did it! Over half an hour!! :eek: really slowly but I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Finished W6D3 a little while ago and felt really good after it. Was able to get to 22 minutes without feeling like death. I could have gone on another bit but I could feel one of my calves getting a bit tight so I didn't want to make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Half marathon earlier, took 20 minutes and 10 minutes of my last two but still 10 minutes slower than my best time. I started off last March struggling to run half a mile and followed something similar to c25k . The funny thing is I don't really feel like I've improved, guess it just takes time to gain confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Half marathon earlier, took 20 minutes and 10 minutes of my last two but still 10 minutes slower than my best time. I started off last March struggling to run half a mile and followed something similar to c25k . The funny thing is I don't really feel like I've improved, guess it just takes time to gain confidence!

No improvement?! Woman you're after running half a marathon! Half a marathon!
    At least 95% if not more people can't do what you just did.
    Give yourself credit for all the work you've put in. ;)

Just back from W7D3 - tough again but kind of got another spurt of energy after 15 mins or so but still had to stop for 2 30 secs walks - I feel I'm making progress though!

Tomorrow is W8D1 :-O myself and my friend are gonna try the actual route for the mini marathon so that should be fun :-P

Sauve wrote: »
    No improvement?! Woman you're after running half a marathon! Half a marathon!
    At least 95% if not more people can't do what you just did.
    Give yourself credit for all the work you've put in. ;)

Ditto - meant to say that in my post also, that's amazing ellie_sun, you should be so proud!!

Thanks! I think its because I'm training for a marathon and I'm like how the hell can I do that twice!

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I'm really glad I signed up for the Great Pink Run at the end of the month because knowing that it is coming up is pushing me to get out. It's nice to have something to aim for. :)

I am hoping I will be able to jog the whole thing and I've given up caring how long it takes!
    Did you get sponsors? I feel weird asking for sponsors for a 5k it seems little but it is charity and it is a big thing for me...

Do people bring ipods to these things, I feel like I will need one to get me through it...

bluewolf wrote: »
    I am hoping I will be able to jog the whole thing and I've given up caring how long it takes!
    Did you get sponsors? I feel weird asking for sponsors for a 5k it seems little but it is charity and it is a big thing for me...

Do people bring ipods to these things, I feel like I will need one to get me through it...
    I've jogged 5k a few times so I know I can do it provided I don't get carried away and start off too fast! A bit concerned though because all the running I've done lately has been on grass and mostly on a flat surface.

I feel a bit awkward asking for people to sponsor me even though I've sponsored loads of people over the years. I'm just going to ask my immediate family this time I think!

I'm not going to bother with an iPod because I haven't been using one on runs lately. I've heard they can be banned from some events because people can get distracted and be less aware of their surroundings but I didn't see anything on the website so you should be grand.

Not long to go now! :)

Yeah it's easy to get carried away, I think I will make sure I don't by going in wave 4 or 5...
    For the 5km waves will be started in accordance with expected finishing times, at ~1 min intervals, as follows:
    Wave 1: Sub 20 mins
    Wave 2: 20 - 25 mins
    Wave 3: 25 - 30 mins
    Wave 4: 30 - 40 mins
    Wave 5: Over 40 mins & all Under Control Kids, U 10’s, Buggys, Dogs (on leads!), etc

I find that I can speed up after about 20 mins or so as long as I was going reaaaaally sloowwwwly for the first while so I can catch up any speed after that

Cool, I will bring my ipod. In my jacket or carrying by hand unless I find an arm yokey :)

Exciting stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Starting on wk4 today. Had a poor night's sleep last night so not sure if I will go out today, I will see when I get home from work what the energy levels are like...

Anyway, I finished up on wk3D3 on Saturday and the app I had been using to track my distance and progress messed up on me again. It stopped tracking me after 1.3km. I was raging when I had finished the podcast to see it! I have been going the same route since I started and it had worked fine until the mid of last week. I had been using Samsung Run app.

I might try another app this evening - can anyone recommend a good free app for jogging?

The last run I did, I planned a shorter, faster run. Did the first km really fast (for me!) The second km was nearly a minute slower and the third, another minute slower and I quit after that. Lesson learned, start at a pace I can maintain!

I'll be going in wave 4. My best time is just over 34 mins so I'll be happy if I can beat that.

Sunny Dayz, I used 'map my run' a few times when my watch wasn't charged but had a couple if runs where it stopped working. Or you could try Runkeeper. Not sure if these issues are with the app or the phone's GPS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

@ Sunny Dayz I use RunDouble and find it good, it's an android App.

I was away last week and brought my running gear with me, had two great runs felt quite proud of myself after each of them.Then I went and took three days rest, I really should have done something in-between... I went out yesterday and couldn't manage a 30min run!! seriously I must have only ran 15mins and walked the rest!

Anyway here it goes another day, I'm off out in a while hopefully I do better.

Looking forward to the 5k on Saturday, I'm bringing my ipod I couldn't get through without it, is there anyone driving to it? I haven't a clue as to where I should park?

Someone just told me about this so I'm signing up...
    http://www.runinthedark.org/

I am envious of you guys who have races to enter. Nothing on here. I am home again on September 22nd for a month so might try to get in a parkrun.

Someone just told me about this so I'm signing up...
    http://www.runinthedark.org/

I did it last year in New York, the atmosphere is great. But soooooo cold waiting for the start! They gave flashing LED arm bands so everyone was lit up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

C25K finished! Well, it should really be "Couch to 30 minutes" for me! So I am going to carry on running 3 times a week, increasing my running time, till I get to 5K, and then try to increase my speed on the 5K.

Can anyone recommend any good podcasts for running that last longer than 30 minutes?

Well done! I just have two weeks left, so might get it done in a month!

3 min warm up walk, 26 min jogging, 2x 3 min fast runs... and all that was 4.5k ;( I'm going to die on saturday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

3 min warm up walk, 26 min jogging, 2x 3 min fast runs... and all that was 4.5k ;( I'm going to die on saturday :D

You'll be fine! You'll be amazed by how much the atmosphere on the day will help get you round.

Advertisement