Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion for animals

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If I was an animal I wouldn't be too pleased with the god-fella.

Because humans were acting up, god decided to drown the majority of animals (except the fish of course) as part of the punishment of the humans.

So what if he saved a few in Noahs old boat.
    I wouldn't be very trusting of Mr. Jehovah Christ if I was an animal (even though I am one really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Obliq wrote: »
    TThe only phrase I've picked up here that isn't religious is "Well wear", to be used when someone gets a new car.
    You got a new car?
    Its well for ya, you jammy b'stard.
    (grudging compliment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

recedite wrote: »
    You got a new car?
    Its well for ya, you jammy b'stard.
    (grudging compliment)

I'm a jammy b'tch alright. It's quite a respectable car :D Can't see it for Clare flags at the moment though...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Animord wrote: »
    I had to go to a funeral mass recently and it was only after the third time in the hand-shaky bit that I realised I was saying "pleased to meet you" instead of whatever it is you are meant to say.

I don't know if anyone noticed. :P
    It is normally "peace be with you" - not much about God there.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her. She will heal just fine with anti biotics alone I am sure, and subsequent feline and canine health issues will be dealt with at another clinic after that bizarre encounter. Is this behaviour normal? A Kiwi vet would not dare make such a suggestion no matter how religious they might be, as they would be aware that a large number of customers would run a mile.
    If life is so much better out in NZ why don't you just go back there??

This is certainly a very unusual statement but to equate it into an Ireland vs NZ comparison is a bit ridiculous and indicates to me that you just might be looking to get another opportunity to have a swipe at this country and the Catholics that live here. I challenge you and others on this forum to go to 20 other random vets in this country and record how many times that God is mentioned or prayingetc by the vet.

Please in future make your argument in its own right and try and get more than one example before trying to tar a large portion of the country with the one brush. I know that when I worked in other countries I wasn't running to internet discussion sites with tales of woe whenever I came across situations I didn't agree with or found unusual.

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »

Can you not go instead? I'd rather keep Kiwi ftw :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Please in future make your argument in its own right [...]
    Why don't you try developing an argument yourself, instead of just raising your middle finger to people who don't share your primitive and spiteful views?

Can you not go instead? I'd rather keep Kiwi ftw :D

I think you didn't really understand the comment. I wasn't looking for Kiwi to leave to make my life easier, doesn't matter to me. I just commented that if he/she gets so upset at such a random event and starts a thread on boards about it comparing with how great NZ is then maybe Ireland isn't the place to settle down. Situations like this could continue to happen as Ireland is a catholic country and, especially outside the cities, many people do have religion in their lives. I am not sure if Kiwi took that into consideration before making the move.

As the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. I know I have accepted then traditions and beliefs in different countries I have worked in.

I think you didn't really understand the comment. I wasn't looking for Kiwi to leave to make my life easier, doesn't matter to me. I just commented that if he/she gets so upset at such a random event and starts a thread on boards about it comparing with how great NZ is then maybe Ireland isn't the place to settle down. Situations like this could continue to happen as Ireland is a catholic country and, especially outside the cities, many people do have religion in their lives. I am not sure if Kiwi took that into consideration before making the move.

As the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. I know I have accepted then traditions and beliefs in different countries I have worked in.

I think I really did. Your provocative comment provoked my response. Ireland is a secular republic. To the rest of the world it would seem that this means religion has no place in the constitution. Kiwi has every right to complain as she sees fit about the ridiculous hold that religion has over every institution that matters in our god-bothered little country. If you can suggest that an atheist who has moved here should feck off back home because this is "a catholic country", I can certainly suggest I'd prefer her to stay and you to go. Perhaps you'd be better off evangelising someplace else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Situations like this could continue to happen as Ireland is a catholic country and, especially outside the cities, many people do have religion in their lives. I am not sure if Kiwi took that into consideration before making the move.

That's as may be, but if you pay money for professional advice, getting a few prayers is just being ripped off. If any good Catholic went to their vet with a sick cat, handed over a bunch of fresh tenners, and then have the vet say that they'd pray for the cat, the self same Catholic would retrieve the dosh and tell the vet to go fúck himself in best Irish tradition. Fair enough, your granny praying for the cat, or even your good self if your that way inclined, but not the vet FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

She did what? Deport her immediately! How dare she air a minor grievance on an internet forum! People should not make any criticisms about Ireland if they're living here, we should all blindly follow what our elected officials tell us. /sarcasm

I think you (among others) are making Kiwi's complaint out to be more than it is. I read it as her simply being taken aback by such a strange bit of unprofessionalism from the vet, but you seem to think she raged and railed against this or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

No thanks! I am the spouse of an Irish person, the parent of an Irish child and am fully entitled to Citizenship. I've as much right to be here, participate and have my say in the running of this country as you do. :)

If you don't like my thread why bother posting on it? I am not angry about the vet, simply pointing out a silly and absurd occurrence to like minded people on an Atheism and Agnosticism forum.

You are right, I probably didn't look closely enough at the religion issue before moving here, however as Obliq pointed out Ireland is a secular democracy not a 'Catholic country' as you wrongly stated. This has little to do with the bizarre behaviour of the vet however.

smacl wrote: »
    That's as may be, but if you pay money for professional advice, getting a few prayers is just being ripped off. If any good Catholic went to their vet with a sick cat, handed over a bunch of fresh tenners, and then have the vet say that they'd pray for the cat, the self same Catholic would retrieve the dosh and tell the vet to go fúck himself in best Irish tradition. Fair enough, your granny praying for the cat, or even your good self if your that way inclined, but not the vet FFS.

In fairness to said vet, I did also get anti biotics along with the hocus pocus, so perhaps his faith isn't that strong after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If life is so much better out in NZ why don't you just go back there?

You're a real ******* Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ireland is a catholic country
    The midwife in the Savita case had to apologise after saying that.
    Ireland does not have a State religion.
    Some people never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

When it comes to animals' religious beliefs, the main thing is not to take the cats too seriously!

They hook you in with their cute, furry approach to life and it's all rubs and purrs.
    Then they start rewarding you with rubs/purrs when you behave correctly e.g. feed them 5 times a day (on demand) and only with the correct type of cat food, get up and play with them when you're told to, give them tummy rubs on demand etc.

Next thing you know they're training you to sit on the correct part of the sofa and provide them with only your best cushion (none of that cheap junk!)

The Ancient Egyptians got really badly roped in to this particular mode of brain washing and ended up building cat temples and giant sculptures of cats!

I think that it is pretty certain that the reference to prayer was made in ADDITION to the treatment administered. Kiwi would have been in his/her rights to avoid the vet in future if the treatment wasn't up to scratch. But to start an internet thread because of a reference to prayer made by the vet is showing just as much bigotry imo as many Christians do and are rightfully criticised here.

Especially as there are a high proportion of Catholics still in this country, especially outside the cities.
    Perhaps Kiwi had a child there as well with uniform from the local (catholic) school.

:confused::confused:
    robindch wrote: »
    Why don't you try developing an argument yourself, instead of just raising your middle finger to people who don't share your primitive and spiteful views?

robindch, just saw this post now. Can you clarify what primitive and spiteful views you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think that it is pretty certain that the reference to prayer was made in ADDITION to the treatment administered. Kiwi would have been in his/her rights to avoid the vet in future if the treatment wasn't up to scratch. But to start an internet thread because of a reference to prayer made by the vet is showing just as much bigotry imo as many Christians do and are rightfully criticised here.

Especially as there are a high proportion of Catholics still in this country, especially outside the cities.
    Perhaps Kiwi had a child there as well with uniform from the local (catholic) school.

"I'll pray for your cat" says the vet.

"My goodness, I wasn't expecting that, what an odd thing to say." Thinks Miss Kiwi to herself, "Perhaps the good folks on A+A on boards.ie might find this interesting, I'll post my experience there."

Where in the blazes is the bigotry, in your opinion jimd2?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're a real ******* Christian.
    No more of that, please.

Jean Luc Picard would often be taken back by unexpected customs or expressions of cultures he visited. Kiwi, is no different. She observed something she didn't expect and wasn't normalised to. It's good that people talk about those things rather than keep it to themselves. The auld "put up and shut up" attitude isn't one bit constructive or helpful for a person.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    No more of that, please.

Jean Luc Picard would often be taken back by unexpected customs or expressions of cultures he visited. Kiwi, is no different. She observed something she didn't expect and wasn't normalised to. It's good that people talk about those things rather than keep it to themselves. The auld "put up and shut up" attitude isn't one bit constructive or helpful for a person.
    I agree to an extent. However I am saddened to an extent that a thread like this gets legs over what was probably a very innocent remark by the vet. It is nearly like.....here is a reference to prayer. I will get on to my friends on Boards.ie and we can collectively laugh at these lowlifes......Not maybe what she meant but that is the way a thread like this comes across. I have NEVER heard of anyone having a religion for animals in all my years so I think Kiwi was trying to get a collective sarcastic laugh at the vet and other religious from her smug high horse

Not too unlike and at the opposite end of the spectrum to the person that made a complaint about Fr Iggy O'Donovan in Drogheda. This was just over who poured the water in a baptism and the issue made it to the Vatican ffs. I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how that got legs and made its way to the Vatican. He has now been transferred, this stuff is fodder to the anti church folk.

Yes Jimd2 I do have a child with a uniform from the local catholic school! And why do you think that is? Because in my area there is no choice but numerous catholic schools and one protestant. Perhaps that will help you understand my frustration in a country where the state is not supposed to endorse any religion, but 90% of publicly funded schools are catholic. That is another issue however and I have started a thread on that as well!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

However I am saddened to an extent that a thread like this gets legs over what was probably a very innocent remark by the vet. It is nearly like.....here is a reference to prayer. I will get on to my friends on Boards.ie and we can collectively laugh at these lowlifes

Even among devout Catholics, prayer doesn't typically come into professional life , as it is simply inappropriate. You go into a board meeting, and the accounts are terrible (again), you don't pray for an improvement. Your car breaks down, and you visit the mechanic, the mechanic doesn't ask you to pray for a quick fix. Prayer is surely personal, and when you're dealing with Joe public in a professional capacity, prayer is inappropriate. If you're a particularly religious type, you might mutter a prayer under your breath, but you don't ask others to join in. Look at the opening post again, and tell me if it is normal behaviour;
    Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her

Would you really tell someone you didn't know who you were dealing with in a professional capacity to pray for God to heal anything? Personally, I'd be backing slowly towards the door.

......so I think Kiwi was trying to get a collective sarcastic laugh at the vet and other religious from her smug high horse

You clearly haven't been here long enough to know that Kiwi doesn't have a smug high horse. Bandying about terms like that doesn't help your case.
    Not too unlike and at the opposite end of the spectrum to the person that made a complaint about Fr Iggy O'Donovan in Drogheda. This was just over who poured the water in a baptism and the issue made it to the Vatican ffs. I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how that got legs and made its way to the Vatican. He has now been transferred, this stuff is fodder to the anti church folk.

Never heard about that? Fr. Iggy is one of the most progressive priests in the country and has my respect, as respect is what he gives people towards their personal choices. I'm amazed it took the Vatican this long to find something against him that'd "hold water" enough to transfer him to darkest Peru/deepest Siberia, or wherever they sent him. Thought he'd have been demoted years ago tbh. Have you got a link, or did I miss this coming up here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Never heard about that? Fr. Iggy is one of the most progressive priests in the country and has my respect, as respect is what he gives people towards their personal choices. I'm amazed it took the Vatican this long to find something against him that'd "hold water" enough to transfer him to darkest Peru/deepest Siberia, or wherever they sent him. Thought he'd have been demoted years ago tbh. Have you got a link, or did I miss this coming up here?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/parents-ire-as-priest-targeted-over-baptism-29596523.html

Seems like underhand, mean-spirited pettiness to me. I'd agree that Fr. Iggy is a decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/parents-ire-as-priest-targeted-over-baptism-29596523.html

Seems like underhand, mean-spirited pettiness to me. I'd agree that Fr. Iggy is a decent guy.

Extraordinary. They told the parents that their child would have to be baptised again. If a child is baptised, it's baptised. It doesn't have to be an ordained priest. No wonder people are leaving the church in droves.

Look at the opening post again, and tell me if it is normal behaviour;

I thought it was abnormal anyway! It wasn't even anything particularly serious (not that suggesting that I pray for something serious would have been any more professional), she only had an abscess on her ear after the claw or tooth of an opponent got her during a scrap.

She is currently sitting beside me purring away to herself despite the lack of prayer in her life.

I think the thing that set it apart from an eye roll only incident, was that he suggested that I pray for the cat myself. As opposed to a comment that he will pray for her. I don't pray. I am not religious and don't believe in god. Why therefore would I be praying to heal my cat and who would I be praying to?

You clearly haven't been here long enough to know that Kiwi doesn't have a smug high horse.

I don't think I want one either! Another thing to take to the vet and pray for!

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Thanks for the link Benny, and wow ..."The CDF is said to have "a file about him on their desk" containing a list of things brought to its attention that includes the baptism, as well as his controversial concelebration of mass on Easter Sunday 2006 with Church of Ireland clergyman, the Reverend Michael Graham."....I'm sure the file on him is fairly hefty at this stage, but what a small-minded complaint that was.

• Advertisement

You clearly haven't been here long enough to know that Kiwi doesn't have a smug high horse. Bandying about terms like that doesn't help your case.

Advertisement