Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion for animals

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Yes Jimd2 I do have a child with a uniform from the local catholic school! And why do you think that is? Because in my area there is no choice but numerous catholic schools and one protestant. Perhaps that will help you understand my frustration in a country where the state is not supposed to endorse any religion, but 90% of publicly funded schools are catholic. That is another issue however and I have started a thread on that as well!

The reason I mentioned it was that it could have been a trigger for the comments from the vet. Was he an elderly man (the vet)?

I agree that there should be way more state funded schools but the Dept of Education have to deal with reality and the reality is that the vast majority of school properties are owned by the church. The state cannot unilaterally stop funding these schools as the education system would grind to a halt. There is no point in you continuing to fume about that. That is reality and it would have been the reality when you moved to Ireland.

If it was up to me there would a lot more non demoninational schools than religuous ones and preparations for Holy Communion, Confirmation etc would be done outside school hours. However, this will take many years to achieve unless there is a concerted effort on behalf of church and state to reverse he situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

jimd2 wrote: »
    However, this will take many years to achieve unless there is a concerted effort on behalf of church and state to reverse he situation.

Well spotted. There'd be no need to fume if this weren't the case. I think you are missing the point of fuming altogether ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The reason I mentioned it was that it could have been a trigger for the comments from the vet. Was he an elderly man (the vet)?

I agree that there should be way more state funded schools but the Dept of Education have to deal with reality and the reality is that the vast majority of school properties are owned by the church. The state cannot unilaterally stop funding these schools as the education system would grind to a halt. There is no point in you continuing to fume about that. That is reality and it would have been the reality when you moved to Ireland.

If it was up to me there would a lot more non demoninational schools than religuous ones and preparations for Holy Communion, Confirmation etc would be done outside school hours. However, this will take many years to achieve unless there is a concerted effort on behalf of church and state to reverse he situation.

The school thing is another issue. Since you like my threads so much we can discuss it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057034808 if you like. I will say though, that it is pretty ignorant to assume a person is Catholic from a child wearing a school uniform from a Catholic school when that is the only choice in the area. My son was not with me anyhow. The vet was young for such carry on, mid forties I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The state cannot unilaterally stop funding these schools as the education system would grind to a halt.
    You mean, the state might give some life to the Constitutional guarantee in Article 44.2.2 that it should not "endow religion"?

Perish the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Obliq wrote: »
    Never heard about that? Fr. Iggy is one of the most progressive priests in the country and has my respect, as respect is what he gives people towards their personal choices. I'm amazed it took the Vatican this long to find something against him that'd "hold water" enough to transfer him to darkest Peru/deepest Siberia, or wherever they sent him. Thought he'd have been demoted years ago tbh. Have you got a link, or did I miss this coming up here?

Limerick. Seems that my home town (well almost, I'm culchie) is the Papal version of Connaught/Coventry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I agree to an extent. However I am saddened to an extent that a thread like this gets legs over what was probably a very innocent remark by the vet. It is nearly like.....here is a reference to prayer. I will get on to my friends on Boards.ie and we can collectively laugh at these lowlifes......Not maybe what she meant but that is the way a thread like this comes across. I have NEVER heard of anyone having a religion for animals in all my years so I think Kiwi was trying to get a collective sarcastic laugh at the vet and other religious from her smug high horse

Not too unlike and at the opposite end of the spectrum to the person that made a complaint about Fr Iggy O'Donovan in Drogheda. This was just over who poured the water in a baptism and the issue made it to the Vatican ffs. I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how that got legs and made its way to the Vatican. He has now been transferred, this stuff is fodder to the anti church folk.

I still don't understand your aversion to people posting their experiences/opinions on a thread. I certainly don't agree with your equating a thread to a complaint to a person's boss. It's not like it's being reported to the ombudsman or anything, it is just a bit thoughtless on the vet's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I think the thing that set it apart from an eye roll only incident, was that he suggested that I pray for the cat myself. As opposed to a comment that he will pray for her. I don't pray. I am not religious and don't believe in god. Why therefore would I be praying to heal my cat and who would I be praying to?

You should have dropped to your knees: "Oh, mighty Penicillin! By your mercy smite the bacteria which hath infested this cat. May the infection not be resistant to your power. Amen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Obliq wrote: »
    Fr. Iggy is one of the most progressive priests in the country and has my respect...I'm amazed it took the Vatican this long to find something against him that'd "hold water"
    As long as he packs his stab vest he'll be fine in his new home.

To be fair to the Vatican, an ordained priest is supposed to have certain magical powers. If you allow parents to baptise their own kid, next thing you know they'll be performing their own marriage ceremonies, and transubstantiating wine and wafers into blood and flesh all by themelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 iggyodonovan

Iggy was and is a good man. He was hounded out by tridentine rite/youth defence advocates who want Ireland to be a theocracy like Franco's Spain.
    Don't believe the spin that Youth Defence filmed Iggy innoncently just cared about the children. They have a history of working with extreme pro-lifers, IRA terrorists and despise the post vatican 2 'liberal' church. This was about nailing the man. Youth defence and their ilk hated iggy with every fibre of their being - and they have a lot of hate. Sad that they got their man in the end.

Still, the striking thing for me on the online media was how most people viewed the incident as being utterly comical. It convinces those of us who don't believe in supernatural beings controllling our lives that we are right and reinforces our belief that these idiotic rituals are irrelevent. It shows, essentially, that this is a debate among a small, and declining, number of fools who still believe in magic tricks on the altar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

robindch wrote: »
    You mean, the state might give some life to the Constitutional guarantee in Article 44.2.2 that it should not "endow religion"?

Perish the thought.

We all know that constitutional imperatives only apply to fanatical right wing stuff like blasphemy legislation.

Other constitutional imperatives are far less important and can be left on the shelf.

We're very a la carte about what bits of the constitution we opt to take most seriously (or at least or elected representatives are).

• Advertisement
Advertisement