Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion for animals

Options
  • 11-09-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭

Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her. She will heal just fine with anti biotics alone I am sure, and subsequent feline and canine health issues will be dealt with at another clinic after that bizarre encounter. Is this behaviour normal? A Kiwi vet would not dare make such a suggestion no matter how religious they might be, as they would be aware that a large number of customers would run a mile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Not in my experience with vets. I recently took the family cat over to Mulcair vets, with my father to get her ears operated on as they had grown cancerous, and no mention of god or "pray for her" or anything like that (except the obligatory "bless you" after sneezing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Not in my experience with vets. I recently took the family cat over to Mulcair vets, with my father to get her ears operated on as they had grown cancerous, and no mention of god or "pray for her" or anything like that (except the obligatory "bless you" after sneezing).

No I didn't think so! I hate to think what might of happened if she had got pregnant before she was spade and I had taken her in there for an abortion! Just a one off loopy perhaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Two possibilities here.
    1. The vet is a loon.
    2.Your reputation has preceded you, the vet has already heard about little kiwi at school, and is now having a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Why do people get so worked up about this stuff? So your vet is religious! So what?!? Live and let live! Your cats not gonna come home praising Allah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her. She will heal just fine with anti biotics alone I am sure, and subsequent feline and canine health issues will be dealt with at another clinic after that bizarre encounter. Is this behaviour normal? A Kiwi vet would not dare make such a suggestion no matter how religious they might be, as they would be aware that a large number of customers would run a mile.

Are you sure about that? Have you been to every vet in New Zealand? Vets are just like anyone else with their own personalities, last time we took our cat to the vet he spent about two minutes talking to her.

There are things worth getting outraged about, and there are things that aren't. I'd suggest that this falls into the second category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her.

Response 1: 'Oh. Thanks very much. Won't be needing the injection then. I trust you don't charge for purely spiritual advice.' then go to the less crazy vet

Response 2: 'But she's a Protestant cat.'

PTO wrote: »
    Why do people get so worked up about this stuff? So your vet is religious! So what?!? Live and let live! Your cats not gonna come home praising Allah!

You seem to be the one getting worked up, if exclamation marks are any indication.

It's presumptious to just assume that other people share the same religious view as you. It's also pretty damn stupid given it's not a person we're discussing praying for here.

'Live and let live' - hah - we still live in a society where catholics feel it is OK to impose their values on everyone else. From sexual health to education to hospitals to the hours a pub can open on a Sunday.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Even my local vet has a Catholic 'ethos' it seems. I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her. She will heal just fine with anti biotics alone I am sure . . .
    To be honest, if a vet said that to me, I'd take it he was hinting strongly that the cat would not be just fine with antibiotics alone, and that I should prepare myself for bereavement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I get the feeling that Kiwi must be wearing a sign that says "annoy me about religion".

So your vet prays for cats. Smile and nod and bring him to another vet in future if you want.

When you come up against these situations, just remember, religion was not invented simply to annoy you. Get on with enjoying your life.

You protest too much - if this was a rom-com, you and the catholic church would end up getting married at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was told to 'pray' for my cat and ask God to heal her.
    this begs the question - did you ask which god you should pray to?
    surely a cat god would be the egyptian one, bast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I get the feeling that Kiwi must be wearing a sign that says "annoy me about religion".

So your vet prays for cats. Smile and nod and bring him to another vet in future if you want.

When you come up against these situations, just remember, religion was not invented simply to annoy you. Get on with enjoying your life.

You protest too much - if this was a rom-com, you and the catholic church would end up getting married at the end.

While I take Peregrinus' point that the vet could have been hinting at a non-treatable condition, it is also reasonable to expect a vet to limit their advice to the realms normal to veterinary practice. I'd be equally as annoyed if the vet were to prescribe a homeopathic remedy for example. Some do, but its not normal practice, and I for one wouldn't pay for it. If the cat was about to shuffle off this mortal coil, kick the bucket, join the choir invisible, etc... I'd also like the vet to say it in a rather less circumspect manner. e.g. Bad news, your cat is going to die, we cannot treat it, here are your options...

• Advertisement

Don't worry kiwi.
    At the great cattery in the sky, there is an endless supply of mice who are too fat to run.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    There are things worth getting outraged about, and there are things that aren't. I'd suggest that this falls into the second category.

I'm not worked up or outraged as someone else suggested. I nearly fell about the floor laughing. I found it ridiculous, hilarious and bizarre.

Of course I havn't been to every vet in NZ. But in the 3 years I have lived here I have been subjected to far more religious talk from strangers and acquaintances that the preceding 33 years I lived in NZ. I find it bizarre that so many appear to make an immediate assumption that the whole of humanity must share their personal religious beliefs.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    To be honest, if a vet said that to me, I'd take it he was hinting strongly that the cat would not be just fine with antibiotics alone, and that I should prepare myself for bereavement!

No! Abscess on ear after fight. She will live.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ninja900 wrote: »
    Response 1: 'Oh. Thanks very much. Won't be needing the injection then. I trust you don't charge for purely spiritual advice.' then go to the less crazy vet

Response 2: 'But she's a Protestant cat.'

Response 3: Would that be the cat goddess Bastet Mr. Vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

But in the 3 years I have lived here I have been subjected to far more religious talk from strangers and acquaintances that the preceding 33 years I lived in NZ. I find it bizarre that so many appear to make an immediate assumption that the whole of humanity must share their personal religious beliefs.

That's because Ireland is a different country to NZ. It's one of the many differences/quirks. Another is not being as good as NZ at rugby or Americas Cup sailing.

Vive la différence.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Response 3: Would that be the cat goddess Bastet Mr. Vet?

I could see that leading to a punch up ;)

Vet: Have you tried prayer?
    Kiwi: Bastet?
    Vet: What did you call me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

'i am not sure which god she worships? do you know? or is there one you think has a stronger interest in cats then the others?'

No! Abscess on ear after fight. She will live.
    Well, thank God for that!

smacl wrote: »
    While I take Peregrinus' point that the vet could have been hinting at a non-treatable condition, it is also reasonable to expect a vet to limit their advice to the realms normal to veterinary practice . . .
    I did intend the comment as a light-hearted one!
    Of course I havn't been to every vet in NZ. But in the 3 years I have lived here I have been subjected to far more religious talk from strangers and acquaintances that the preceding 33 years I lived in NZ. I find it bizarre that so many appear to make an immediate assumption that the whole of humanity must share their personal religious beliefs.
    Whereas an Irish person moving to New Zealand might find it bizarre that nobody ever says anything about religion. Is referring to religion in New Zealand a bit like referring to sex was in Ireland when I was a chizler?

I don't think people who talk to you about religion are assuming that you share their personal religious beliefs. They just assume that you're not affronted by references to religion in everyday speech. It's an understandable mistake; they're not to know that you're a psychic cripple as a result of your repressed New Zealand upbringing. :D

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I did intend the comment as a light-hearted one!

As did I :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I am convinced the birds in my Garden view me as a God figure,
    I once had a conversation(in whistling format) with a blackbird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

That's because Ireland is a different country to NZ. It's one of the many differences/quirks. Another is not being as good as NZ at rugby or Americas Cup sailing.

Vive la différence.

On the plus side, we do have central heating here. What's with that NZ? Don't tell me it's because your winters aren't cold because I know that's a lie.

I love New Zealand and would love to go back, but never again in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

God: I am your Lord, the Almigh....

Cat: Feed meh!

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    On the plus side, we do have central heating here. What's with that NZ? Don't tell me it's because your winters aren't cold because I know that's a lie.

I love New Zealand and would love to go back, but never again in July!

I could not agree more! Central heating almost makes up for the intrusive religion! I think even the cat would agree with that, despite her traumatic experience at the vet. :pac: I don't think she be too keen to give up her spot by the Stanley cooker for the sake of a few silly prayers.

I think NZ has some bizarre illusion that we are a warm, tropical country despite the climate being pretty similar to here.

I have issues with going back now Little Kiwi is in school. It's too far to go home for 2 weeks but there is no way on earth I'm going back in July or August during the summer holiday. People often ask how I find the winters since I come from a 'warmer' climate. With central heating and double glazing I don't even really notice its winter until I go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PTO wrote: »

Cats only worship the Pope. hence Cat-licks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi Kiwi, I have followed your posts here with interest as I am Irish with dual NZ citizenship. I was brought up (here) in a totally non-religious family, I don't say atheist because the subject simply never came up. (It is possible!)

Your posts as an outsider have made me realise how much religion is ingrained in this country but I do think you are hyper-sensitive about religious stuff (I know you are partly joking about the cat). But I often feel that a lot of the religious expressions in this country are as much verbal shorthand as anything else. For instance, a friend of mine whose brother was dying recently asked to pray that he went quickly. I don't for a moment think that she actually thought that I was about to go down on my knees, but I take it more as an expression - she hoped he would go quickly, and for her sake I did too.

In the same way that when I touch wood, I am perfectly well aware that the wood nymphs that I am appeasing aren't going to do much for me, but it is a way of telling the other person that I care about something without actually spelling it out.

You are, in my opinion, absolutely right to be outraged about a lot of the stuff that goes on here, but you might find Ireland a more relaxing place if you let some of the verbal stuff go...

PS New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country but I thought I was going to freeze to death when I lived there and I was reasonably far north, but dear god, it was cold in winter. Still, stunning place and everyone should go there. :)

Abscess on ear after fight.
    She was an aggressive atheist cat all along then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »

All cats are atheist, they are too narcissistic to conceive of a being greater than themselves.

recedite wrote: »
    Not at all - a martyr for the faith!

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    Hi Kiwi, I have followed your posts here with interest as I am Irish with dual NZ citizenship. I was brought up (here) in a totally non-religious family, I don't say atheist because the subject simply never came up. (It is possible!)

Your posts as an outsider have made me realise how much religion is ingrained in this country but I do think you are hyper-sensitive about religious stuff (I know you are partly joking about the cat). But I often feel that a lot of the religious expressions in this country are as much verbal shorthand as anything else. For instance, a friend of mine whose brother was dying recently asked to pray that he went quickly. I don't for a moment think that she actually thought that I was about to go down on my knees, but I take it more as an expression - she hoped he would go quickly, and for her sake I did too.

In the same way that when I touch wood, I am perfectly well aware that the wood nymphs that I am appeasing aren't going to do much for me, but it is a way of telling the other person that I care about something without actually spelling it out.

You are, in my opinion, absolutely right to be outraged about a lot of the stuff that goes on here, but you might find Ireland a more relaxing place if you let some of the verbal stuff go...

PS New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful country but I thought I was going to freeze to death when I lived there and I was reasonably far north, but dear god, it was cold in winter. Still, stunning place and everyone should go there. :)

Hi Animord,

My family were pretty much the same. Religion never came up with us either. And believe it or not I never had a problem with religion, or even called myself atheist before I moved here.

You are probably right I do need to just ignore it. It does intrude on people's lives though and it is quite a big, unexpected culture shock coming from a secular country. I find the education situation especially hard to cope with as the mother of a 5 year old. Without the impact on education and women's rights, I could probably could just about ignore it.

Religion is the only complaint I have about the country. Apart from that I am more than happy to live here with central heating in my house! :)

Advertisement