Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

From Boston in the UK....

Night time revellers caught on CCTV repairing bike rack
    A group of people on a night out in Boston have been caught on CCTV repairing a damaged bike rack.

The group was seen at the bike station near a fast-food shop on the Market Place using their muscle to unbend the thick metal hoop which had been damaged when a car ran into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Interesting article this: Cervelo founder calls for industry-wide fork steerer test.

…and a good argument for padding your bike very well if planning to hand it over to baggage handlers or the like:
    The cycling industry has seen a rash of fork steerer-related problems in the last few years, from nearly every major brand sold in North America. Big brands with big test labs have experienced consumer injuries and expensive recalls that the manufacturers say resulted from a mix of engineering and manufacturing flaws. Neither aluminum nor carbon steerers have been immune, and White believes the frequency of problems points to a deficiency in testing.

Specifically, a lack of testing that would replicate more than just riding forces.
    And the sort of damage Cervelo saw is not as rare as one would imagine. “You can damage [the steerer] as easily as dropping it off the top of your car, or if you put the bike in a soft airline bag and the baggage guy drops it,” White said. “If you drop it, and it falls on the steerer, that’s enough on a lightweight fork to damage it. And you won’t see it, because nobody ever takes their fork out of their bike to inspect the steerer.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

(Dutch) royalty on bikes.

The queen, oneself :) :

beatrix.jpg?w=547

^^^^^ Not a helmet or a stitch of hi-viz in sight:eek:

i suppose it helps if you have a functionary to ride ahead and clear the plebs!

On a more serious note, do any government ministers commute or regularly travel by bike? I used to see Eamon Ryan and John Gormley cycling in and out of government buildings regularly, but I've not seen anyone (of note) recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Jawgap wrote: »
    On a more serious note, do any government ministers commute or regularly travel by bike?

I've seen Ruairí Quinn on a dublinbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've seen Ruairí Quinn on a dublinbike.
    I wonder is it a token gesture like a previous Minister who used to be seen cycling around but followed by his driver in the official car with the Minister's briefcase/paperwork!

Trevor Sargent used to do the Balbriggan-City commute regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've been cycling into town now for the last few weeks every morning, and you really only realise why some drivers hate cyclists when you see the nodders in leggings decked out in hi-vis on their hybrids, jumping up and off paths and running every light.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I've been cycling into town now for the last few weeks every morning, and you really only realise why some drivers hate cyclists when you see the nodders in leggings decked out in hi-vis on their hybrids, jumping up and off paths and running every light.

For some reason it seemed particularly bad this morning, plus it wasn't all "nodders in leggings decked out in hi-vis" - yes, I'm looking at you, Swords CC and Epic MTB.

Btw, is it ok to smile like a loon when you catch up an RLJ'er to see they've punctured and are stuck by the side of the road? It happened this morning in Santry.......and I did do the decent thing and offer a tube, but all I got was a grunt in reply so I off I went.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm looking at you, Swords CC ...
    I'm heading off to review the Strava records now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Some lad on a fold bike went down inside of me as i was trying to wait to pass a slower cyclist, asked him why he had undertaken me when their was bike in front me he replied with earphones in ear "use the bike lane or **** off".

Had someone wheelsuck me but was crossing my wheel on the inside too, got home in record time then taking it in turns against the wind with another lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

So I was cycling my fold bike today and went down the inside of some cyclist. He asked me why I had undertaken him when their bike was in front me so I replied even with earphones in ear "use the bike lane or **** off"!

Pesky law abiding citizens I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Toxic Idiocy levels tonight.

I was going slowly in the canal cycle path because there was a guy riding a big Dutch bike with his wife/significant other sitting on the rear rack.

As we started to move off from the lights some genius undertook us both at a whiskers breadth.

I had a lad try to squeeze in between myself and another cyclist at the Donneycarney Church junction there, it must have been at most a foot and a half wide yet he thought he'd try and slip through.

Contemplated throwing an elbow eskew and seeing what would happen, but as he tried to squeeze through he managed to fall over to the side because he couldn't hold his balance while standing stationary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Had a "suit" squeeze by me and a Van last night, on the right, going through Donnybrook, inches, only for the Van to almost cream him by pulling in to the left in front of us.
    Indicators..............you joking.

Alot of new students "up" cycling to Tec. nay helmets and pedalling "on the heel". :) Love it.

Noticed that aswel ^ Students are a complete pain in the hole..slow bikes making the weirdest of noises..complete disregard for other road users..no helmets or anything :|

In other news..

My old school has asked for a new emblem on their facebook page for their rugby teams (SCT and JCT), the brief says nothing too complex..but I cant really do anything other than complex lol. The one I did looks pretty badass and is based on the school crest..dunno if Ill bother submitting my entry now

Zyzz wrote: »
    Noticed that aswel ^ Students are a complete pain in the hole..slow bikes making the weirdest of noises..complete disregard for other road users..no helmets or anything :|

I personally am of the belief that students are excellent road users and happen to have some very nice bikes and are going at a pace faster than your average nodder legging it in to sit behind a desk ;)

I personally am of the belief that students are excellent road users and happen to have some very nice bikes and are going at a pace faster than your average nodder legging it in to sit behind a desk ;)

mj-laughing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Toxic Idiocy levels tonight.
    +1

I was wondering if there was something in the water today? Met 5 salmon cyclists in the space of a few hundred meters on a one way cycle track and not one of these idiots made any attempt to compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

clog wrote: »
    I just changed a set yesterday pm me with address and I will post spares to you gratis.

Got these in the post yesterday. Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was driving towards the coast on Balgriffin/Moyne Rd. this evening and I came up behind a Garda on a bicycle. Traffic was busy enough behind me. He slowed, took the lane, and called a few waiting cars out from the Hole in the Wall Rd. After the second or third car, someone behind us grew impatient and beeped. The look the Garda threw over his shoulder was priceless :D He wobbled on and gestured for each car to pass him.

Unusual to see a cycle Garda in a non-urban area.

Since when is Balgriffin non-urban? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Since when is Balgriffin non-urban? :confused:

Moyne Rd/Hole in the wall is a bit agricultural tbf..

Google mappy thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got a free gift from Parcel Motel, a pair of Butlers chocolates and a pair of slippers, unusual.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Got a free gift from Parcel Motel, a pair of Butlers chocolates and a pair of slippers, unusual.

It's supposed to be funny, as if you're checking into a motel.

I got the first offer when they started, two free stays which was a lot better.

Unusual to see a cycle Garda in a non-urban area.
    A few months back, I encountered one between Lusk and Rush at 1am with no lights! (I was in the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Zyzz wrote: »
    So I was cycling my fold bike today and went down the inside of some cyclist. He asked me why I had undertaken him when their bike was in front me so I replied even with earphones in ear "use the bike lane or **** off"!

Pesky law abiding citizens I tell ya!

next time you do it i wont be as polite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nice cycle this evening, only spoiled by getting beeped out of it by a taxi on the way home. I managed to catch up with him and asked him what the problem was, he said I was riding in the bus lane and that I was going to get myself knocked down (a threat perhaps). I pointed out it's a shared bus/cycle lane, he called me a loser and told me to get out of the lycra...spanner:

271324.jpg

What can you do when confronted with such stupidity??? Not sure where else I was supposed to cycle.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nice cycle this evening, only spoiled by getting beeped out of it by a taxi on the way home. I managed to catch up with him and asked him what the problem was, he said I was riding in the bus lane and that I was going to get myself knocked down (a threat perhaps). I pointed out it's a shared bus/cycle lane, he called me a loser and told me to get out of the lycra...spanner:

271324.jpgWhat can you do when confronted with such stupidity??? Not sure where else I was supposed to cycle.

Accidentally take his wing mirror off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

It never stops boiling my blood to see the number of people cycling on the footpath at the one way section on South Richmond street instead of just going a whole 25m on the road to Synge street.

Saw some ginger with Sunglasses and a leather jacket yesterday giving peds dirty looks for being in his way...I wanted to treat him like my stepchild.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement