Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic The Hedgehog

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys, use this here thread to discuss the Sonic The Hedgehog games.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Eh, what?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I like Sonic. So much so I have him permanently on my leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gavingaz wrote: »
    Hi guys, use this here thread to discuss the Sonic The Hedgehog games.

Mod with only 13 posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I like Sonic. So much so I have him permanently on my leg.

Does he make you run faster? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah. I have this strange urge to steal gold rings too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An obsession with Sonic probably belongs in the Sega forum.

Also, making general chat forums is kinda the moderators job but good for you and your enthusiasm!

Yeah no one should ever start general discussion threads

>.>

<.<

I know where you live, ya feckin alcho!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know where you live, ya feckin alcho!

Excuse you I'm not actually drinking at this current moment! Maybe in the next moment but not this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

2 is the best.

Ended up stuck on the desert level a decade (or more :eek:) ago on Sonic+Knuckles and never got past it.

And now I feel old, thanks OP :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

my-fanbase-whys-it-full-of-furries-thumb.jpg

Edit: Ciderman hates furries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This song has been stuck in my head for close to two decades now:

Find myself humming it at least once a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭gavingaz

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    An obsession with Sonic probably belongs in the Sega forum.

Also, making general chat forums is kinda the moderators job but good for you and your enthusiasm!

Just trying to start a decent chat. It seems that moderators are the only ones allowed to post/have an opinion/chat without receiving a warning or being scrutinised for only having a handful of posts. You have to start somewhere, we don't automatically have 10,000 posts. No need to be suspicious of newcomers lads, that's how you meet new people. That paranoia is bad for the soul. Get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gavingaz wrote: »
    Just trying to start a decent chat. It seems that moderators are the only ones allowed to post/have an opinion/chat without receiving a warning or being scrutinised for only having a handful of posts. You have to start somewhere, we don't automatically have 10,000 posts. No need to be suspicious of newcomers lads, that's how you meet new people. That paranoia is bad for the soul. Get out more.

I think it was more your wording, "Use this thread..." etc, it's nothing to do with your postcount, you wern't being scrutinized for not having many posts, nobody is suspicious of you, & we love new posters here. Welcome!

On topic, Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD & Knuckles, 1 & 2 on the Gamegear, & 1 & 2 on the Mastersystem are what I'd consider, true Sonic games. Everything else, pales in comparison.

Master of the Universe

You left out Spinball. I thought that was one of your favourites?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You left out Spinball. I thought that was one of your favourites?

I don't consider it a Sonic game, it's a game with Sonic bolted in :(

My favourite sonic game would be either sonic 1 or sonic cd. Adore the soundtrack in sonic cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sonic CD is quite cack, made cult by a generation of folk trying to justify their long-since purchase of a system that sometimes struggled to get its proper highlights any attention.

Sonic 3 goes funky at times, since there seems to have been a proper design oversight with the expansion of level-sizes, with no regard for how they impact upon the stage-timer. It's ostensibly set up for the player to explore these bigger areas, and find those crevices with all the secret fiddly bits, but if you dawdle at all, it's heavily against the clock. Its intention can left open to interpretation, but it strikes as either the aforementioned issues of time/design, or it's a fiddly twit of a reason to replay.

The Z-axis took about 11 years to do the series any favours, and a lot of the glaring committee decisions that plagued the mechanics, and overall franchise, in that time would count among the more frustrating times I've had with games.

Sonic Adventure 2 being a standout for my ire, with only Sonic and Shadow's levels resembling anything close to a game, and even they're doused with problem-juice, such as over-reliance on rail sections, wonky targeting and propensity to glitch out with nary a hint as to cause.

Aaaaannndddd yes, I've actually had good times with this series too.

Master of the Universe

My favourite sonic game would be either sonic 1 or sonic cd. Adore the soundtrack in sonic cd.

Sonic 1 is still my favourite. Often imitated, never bettered :)

Sonic 1 is still my favourite. Often imitated, never bettered :)

I remember when I got a Genesis and stuck sonic into it and played it in 60hz for the first time. Simply amazing.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Heh, yeah I bought a Genesis Mark 3 about 10 years ago when I was first starting to dip my toes into Ebay importing. Couldn't believe the speed difference. Made me feel like a right chump for playing it in 50hz for so many years.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Sonic CD is quite cack, made cult by a generation of folk trying to justify their long-since purchase of a system that sometimes struggled to get its proper highlights any attention.

Nevertheless, it's still Sonic. The physics, artwork, controls, sountrack {US aside} were all spot on. Once the art & physics changed, the series ended for me. It's just a tired old mascot now, living on its once glorious quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Master of the Universe

That tune doesn't have a patch on Marble Zone!

Actually I think Marble Zone is a song that works better in 50hz. Adds to the jazzy-ness!

I'm partial to a bit of Aquatic Ruin zone music myself

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sonic 2 on the GameGear was my favourite ever Sonic game. Beautifully atmospheric for such a limited system. Flying in on the hang glider through the storm, beautiful.

Master of the Universe

Anyone else try to visualize Sonic based on the original level layout from the level select menu? Still can't get my head around Labyrinth Zone being stage 2. Imagine that drowning timer so early on in the game :eek:

sonic_levels2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Oh yeah, it was definitely the 2nd! They didn't give any real leeway with the Sonic games! In at the deep end! (Literally in this case!)

Anyone else try to visualize Sonic based on the original level layout from the level select menu?

Is that the originally planned layout? I always just assumed it was alphabetical, final zone excluded of course...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hate the water zones in Sonic games almost unconditionally. Incredibly stressful with that goddamn countdown music. The only part of them I like is when you zip past them in or on an acceleration pipe :pac:

I tried Sonic 4: Episode II on iOS recently. Every other stage had a water segment, and it made me want to crack the touch screen in half.

Advertisement