Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Vologda69 wrote: »
    I think you only pay income tax on employee shares. Perhaps more experience traders might enlighten us.

No. Income is income, regardless of where it comes from. Scortho's highly dubious accounting practices would cause any trader to be in hot water with the revenue pretty quickly if you can't show where your money is coming from.

I can't begin to calculate the penalties :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I believed that you are liable for income tax on dividends, but pay CGT when selling share's at a 'profit'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I tought that stamp duty 1% covers taxman wages, I do'nt think so you need to pay anything else to them really..?
    Can you claim tax-money back if you sold shares with loss :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

No , losses can becarried forward and offset against cgt liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Share Price is slowly dropping from recent high. If it is to revert closer to its moving average price it still has a bit to fall. You'd have to imagine profit taking at these levels considering the 20-30% upside in 1 month. Long term though there's no doubting the possibilities, could be a ten bagger within 5-7yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ten bagger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Comordha wrote: »
    Share Price is slowly dropping from recent high. If it is to revert closer to its moving average price it still has a bit to fall. You'd have to imagine profit taking at these levels considering the 20-30% upside in 1 month. Long term though there's no doubting the possibilities, could be a ten bagger within 5-7yrs.

are you saying €2 within 5-7 years?

Yes, I am saying that or a takeout before then. They'll have to engage in either a share consolidation / split or buyback before then though I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Yes, I am saying that or a takeout before then. They'll have to engage in either a share consolidation / split or buyback before then though I would imagine.

a share consolidation would effect your shareholding as well.

For it to go up x10 the market cap would be around €60 billion. That won't happen in my lifetime and I fully expect to be here in 5-7 years

• Advertisement

Yes but gentlemen that would be a logical approach to valuing the business and we all know that when the Irish mamas and papas on the street hear that Irish house prices are rising again, 8% in the capital so far this year , and that the banks are making profits again and that property is a great investment, and that you can’t lose investing in Irish Banks…...... need I say anymore? The fools will be cueing up to pump this share shortly as they did in March – December 2009 and it more than 10-bagged that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Yes but gentlemen that would be a logical approach to valuing the business and we all know that when the Irish mamas and papas on the street hear that Irish house prices are rising again, 8% in the capital so far this year , and that the banks are making profits again and that property is a great investment, and that you can’t lose investing in Irish Banks…...... need I say anymore? The fools will be cueing up to pump this share shortly as they did in March – December 2009 and it more than 10-bagged that time.

I agree with you.

I think to a certain degree share speculation can be assisted by analysis and forecasting, but we have all seen how dramatically share prices are affected by public economic sentiment, this is particularly true for banks.

Market trend expertise has consistently failed to develop a model to rationalise non-linear trends and in my view comparative analysis hasn't afforded any valuable guidance as to how in the long term share prices react to seismic shifts of market forces.

Should the Irish economy begin to seriously recover then I believe BOI will be well positioned within a very different banking environment to that which existed in 2005 - 2007.

In BOI's case, I think that when sustained economic growth redevelops the bank will actually be better positioned to grow than it was in 2005-2007. For one thing the highly valuable (if diligently administered) commercial market will no longer be sewn-up by Anglo and AIB.

In all likelihood, given the position AIB are still in, then BOI - should they return to profitability in 2014 - with their extensive existing infrastructure in the country (and beyond), may have an effective monopoly on such lucrative business.

No doubt I will be slated for my opinion by some on here, its obvious that the general sentiment is that BOI wont experience a period of exponential growth at any time (short, medium or long-term) clearly I disagree, but thats my opinion, I've bought shares. The general sentiment in the mid-00's would have been that I was a fool for not buying a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Remember the banks had massive profits during the boom because of the rampant property industry. That is gone. It won't becoming back. They won't be making anywhere near their past profits for many years to come. Wheres all this profit going to come from to justify a €60 Billion valuation??

Even in the boom the highest they reached was a market cap of €18 Billion, what makes you think the public are going to buy enough during a recession to put their value up to €60 Billion? Especially when they all have recent experience of a banking collapse??

They won't ever achieve a monopoly either, if theirs money to be made believe me competitors will enter the market

Best of luck if you'r investing, but honestly if your expecting to make profit from the public suddenly going bank share crazy and buying up so much shares so that their worth more than Goldman Sachs, I seriously think you need to rethink your strategy

Goldman Sachs made over €6 Billion profit last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Remember the banks had massive profits during the boom because of the rampant property industry. That is gone. It won't becoming back. They won't be making anywhere near their past profits for many years to come. Wheres all this profit going to come from to justify a €60 Billion valuation??

Even in the boom the highest they reached was a market cap of €18 Billion, what makes you think the public are going to buy enough during a recession to put their value up to €60 Billion? Especially when they all have recent experience of a banking collapse??

They won't ever achieve a monopoly either, if theirs money to be made believe me competitors will enter the market

Best of luck if you'r investing, but honestly if your expecting to make profit from the public suddenly going bank share crazy and buying up so much shares so that their worth more than Goldman Sachs, I seriously think you need to rethink your strategy

you need to get this idea out of your head

even bank of Ireland goes back to three euro or thereabouts , it wont be worth anything like sachs , deutsch bank or societe generale , the same rationale could be attached to any number of penny stocks , " oh if it goes up ten fold , it will be worth more than general electric " due to the amount of shares outstanding

not comparing like with like

green_bow wrote: »
    you need to get this idea out of your head

even bank of Ireland goes back to three euro or thereabouts , it wont be worth anything like sachs , deutsch bank or societe generale , the same rationale could be attached to any number of penny stocks , " oh if it goes up ten fold , it will be worth more than general electric " due to the amount of shares outstanding

not comparing like with like

I don't think you understand how Market Capitalisation is calculated

If BOI goes to €2 a share it will be worth €60 Billion

Maybe your getting it confused with if they do a stock split or share dilution

I don't think you understand how Market Capitalisation is calculated

If BOI goes to €2 a share it will be worth €60 Billion

Maybe your getting it confused with if they do a stock split or share dilution

bank of Ireland will never be worth sixty billion , even it goes back to ten euro , rbs is worth less than 60 billion , as is banco Santander today

If it goes to €2 a share without a split or dilution BOI will have a value of €60 billion!

Currently around €0.20 a share with market cap of €6 billion

If it rose to €2 a share ( i.e increased ten fold) then the valuation also increases ten fold

€6 billion by 10 = €60 billion

Hence while i'm saying its ridiculous to expect that share price

If it goes to €2 a share without a split or dilution BOI will have a value of €60 billion!

Currently around €0.20 a share with market cap of €6 billion

If it rose to €2 a share ( i.e increased ten fold) then the valuation also increases ten fold

€6 billion by 10 = €60 billion

Hence while i'm saying its ridiculous to expect that share price

your theorising at the expense of common sense and practicality

its not a simple sum , bank of Ireland isn't going to be worth 60 billion , was it worth 60 billion in 2006 ?

its not a simple sum , bank of Ireland isn't going to be worth 60 billion , was it worth 60 billion in 2006 ?

Which is my entire point! If you read the posts correctly you'd understand that was why I was saying it was ridiculous to think BOI would reach €2 a share

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

It is a simple sum, and it's been explained to you several times.

• Advertisement

roro2 wrote: »
    It is a simple sum, and it's been explained to you several times.

share intervention of some kind will occur going forward so even the SP is two euro , the market cap wont be close to 60 billion

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

share intervention of some kind will occur going forward so even the SP is two euro , the market cap wont be close to 60 billion

If you're on about a share consolidation, etc, it's completely pointless just coming on and saying that BOI will never be worth 60 billion, and going on about penny stocks, etc.

I think you've missed the point I'm making and simply repeated your earlier point, which is that you don't believe BOI will ever be worth €60billion, that's fair enough. I'm not suggesting it will or it won't - I simply don't know what it will be worth in 5 - 10 years.

What I am suggesting is that when the Recession ends and there is prolonged (2 years +) sustainable growth in the Economy both here and in the EU generally, then based on how BOI is currently performing, assuming it can return to profitability by next year which now seems likely, then the bank will be better positioned to expand its business beyond even that of the boom years.

So in fairness I don't think your question regarding the public spending in a recession is relevant at all, or develops your argument in any way, given its clear I am considering the situation of the Bank in a country both emerging from a recession and in the period beyond that recession.

The simple fact is that with the return of economic growth there will be large scale investment in commercial development - thats inevitable. Will it ever get to the levels experienced during the Celtic Tiger again? Who know's - possibly not, I'm not going to speculate, nor do I feel I need to.

I believe that the lack of competition in the Market combined with the resurgence of BOI's reputation both here and abroad will make it the primary and largely only beneficiary of any upsurge in the Market in the short to medium term.

Of course its true that the free market will enable competitors to ultimately establish in Ireland, however firstly many of the likely candidates still have enough problems of their own to deal, both in terms of their own financial situation and with regards to their positions within their own countries to risk establishing in a Market that burnt so many so badly in the past.

BOI is already here, the branches remain open in all parts of the country and they have closed far less of those than AIB.

The point I'm making is that attempting to speculate as to how BOI will perform in a post recession market by effectively stating "It can never do as well as it did in the Boom" fails to have regard to all the relevant factors.

Perhaps begin now by asking how BOI would have performed in the Boom in the absence of AIB and ANGLO, and whether the Market Cap of €18 billion which you effectively referred to as an unattainable valuation for ever more really represents such.

On a completely side note but entirely relevant nonetheless :

Isn't it great to be arguing about what we think this Bank might be worth in the future as opposed to wondering if it will go bust.

On a completely side note but entirely relevant nonetheless :

Isn't it great to be arguing about what we think this Bank might be worth in the future as opposed to wondering if it will go bust.

it may well go bust yet. We are 7 years into a banking crisis and still the major issues within the residential book remain unresolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

it may well go bust yet. We are 7 years into a banking crisis and still the major issues within the residential book remain unresolved.

This reminds me of the usual whingeing that is a regular feature on a populist daytime radio show. Yes, in theory anything including failure is possible, in reality most unlikely. I don't even think it likely even if many of the distressed mortgages failed.

I would suggest you give the negative vibe a break and worry instead about the melting Polar ice.

BTW, most of the signs despite being weak indicators all indicate that the country is emerging (which practically every commentator agrees is certainly to happen at some point) from the various crises not just the banking one.

BTW, most of the signs despite being weak indicators all indicate that the country is emerging (which practically every commentator agrees is certainly to happen at some point) from the various crises not just the banking one.

most commentators agreed that we would have a soft landing in 2006 as well. How has that worked out for people.

How about high unemployment, no growth , austerity, mortgage arrears continuing to climb , the buy to let issue , the 90000 nama properties still to hit the market, the 1.5 billion to be repaid to the government buy boi. How about the 1000 people who emigrate every week. How about the lack of credit available to businesses. There are EU stress test next year to be passed. Some banks are finally starting to do deals on debts this is going to further hit there reserves.

I see far mose reasons to be negitive on Irish banks than positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Back to 21c again
    So.. is it good time to sell now or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

most commentators agreed that we would have a soft landing in 2006 as well. How has that worked out for people.

How about high unemployment, no growth , austerity, mortgage arrears continuing to climb , the buy to let issue , the 90000 nama properties still to hit the market, the 1.5 billion to be repaid to the government buy boi. How about the 1000 people who emigrate every week. How about the lack of credit available to businesses. There are EU stress test next year to be passed. Some banks are finally starting to do deals on debts this is going to further hit there reserves.

I see far mose reasons to be negitive on Irish banks than positive.

Don't believe all the hype. Mortgage arrears being a well hammered example. Unemployment is high but yet there are jobs waiting to be filled. 1,000 emigrating/week are mostly Gap year emigrants or 2 yr fun trippers to Oz. Not all businesses require credit and who would want to give credit to any vulnerable business. Too many cos relied in the past on borrowings.

Some will wallow and pedal negative propaganda about another pending doomsday, most fortunately are getting on with the business of getting on.

Advertisement