Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    but realistically they aren't going to plummet either.

why won't they drop?. I'm a holder of two bank shares but neither of them are Irish banks and im fond of bank shares in general but the boi valuation is not something I would be able to argue that the price won't drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

why won't they drop?. I'm a holder of two bank shares but neither of them are Irish banks and im fond of bank shares in general but the boi valuation is not something I would be able to argue that the price won't drop.

Drop and plummet are two different things though IMO. They are rising steadily, nearly at 25p currently, and i'm just wondering what affect a rights issue generally has on a share price?

Drop and plummet are two different things though IMO. They are rising steadily, nearly at 25p currently, and i'm just wondering what affect a rights issue generally has on a share price?

define plummet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well it all depends, for existing shareholders, new shares are usually discounted. Rights issue can also lead to consolidation and have a positive effect on appreciating share price.

In recent years BoI have had 2 rights issue, and certainly the last one has worked well and I cannot remember the previous one, but I guess, it took place before SP imploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Well it all depends, for existing shareholders, new shares are usually discounted. Rights issue can also lead to consolidation and have a positive effect on appreciating share price.

In recent years BoI have had 2 rights issue, and certainly the last one has worked well and I cannot remember the previous one, but I guess, it took place before SP imploded.

I think it was around 50c. I did take it up but trying to forget it. The last was one was at 10c and sp went below that for a while as well. Its pointless applying logic to this share so I plan to take up the issue and just hope I recover some losses. If I do it will be down to luck and nothing more. Plenty of reasons not to invest I know but its worth rolling the dice on this one.

AIB at 10c today is even more surprising. Is there even 1% of it floatin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

lucky john wrote: »

0.2%. The NPRF values its shares at 0.8c - only silly retail money pushing the shares up to 10c.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

AIB share price is well in the Ponzi scheme range. BOI is a different story.

The current AIB share price means that it is almost 7 times larger/more valuable than BOI.
    lucky john wrote: »
    I think it was around 50c. I did take it up but trying to forget it. The last was one was at 10c and sp went below that for a while as well. Its pointless applying logic to this share so I plan to take up the issue and just hope I recover some losses. If I do it will be down to luck and nothing more. Plenty of reasons not to invest I know but its worth rolling the dice on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

The markets are getting very bubbly , from housing in UK and Australia to US securities.

However this is the time that biggest gains are made , i believe that we are entering the final stage in the bull market and the gains could be very large over the next 6-12 months

Irrational exuberance is setting in again and people are starting to say "its different this time" , "new era for earnings" and all that rubbish.

I own BOI since 10c and saw it climb another 7% today

If the FED doesnt taper then all bets are off as to how high the markets can go

Hold on tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »

markets can remain irrational much longer then you can remain solvent

Im sure ye have heard that before

• Advertisement

Perhaps Enda should start trading AIB shares to make some money for the taxpayers.
    daveirl wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

BKIR daily chart is over heated.

It had a lovely break out when it bounced off the 50dma with a MACD cross over,but that move looks close to exhaustion now with the last two candlesticks showing a bearish piercing formation and RSI into over bought and MACD now looks to be on the verge of a turn down.

At 0.26 it is at the top of its channel but a break through would take it to c. 0.30p where there is historic horizontal resistance.

ranger4 wrote: »

It had a lovely break out when it bounced off the 50dma with a MACD cross over,but that move looks close to exhaustion now with the last two candlesticks showing a bearish piercing formation and RSI into over bought and MACD now looks to be on the verge of a turn down.

At 0.26 it is at the top of its channel but a break through would take it to c. 0.30p where there is historic horizontal resistance.

techy nonsense

Reads more like a Black Hawk pilot razzle dazzle, any chance you could elaborate in a more communicative and meaningful way?

BTW, if I understand you correctly, I think you are off mark and will be proven so shortly. I would love to know what 'historical horizontal resistance' means? A great example of when not to use bull**** jargon:o

What charting service/page do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

go on - and the rest

"so it may well get stuck around that area for quite some time.but I would expect a period of consolidation/slight retrace before that happens.

Don't really know the ins and outs of the 1.8 bln scenario so my thoughts are based on charts only.

Mr Bluesky"

posted here:
    http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?page=6&ShareTicker=LLOY
    Sat 15:30

seems to be in response to:
    ranger4
    Off Topic
    Opinion: No Opinion
    Price: 76.50
    mr_BlueskySat 14:32Care to share your analysis with BKIR, Recent rally seemed to take a breather friday but could be consolidating before going higher however with uncertainty with posible 1.8 billion rights issue to buyback Govs Pref shares any upside could be limited before details announced.

caoty wrote: »
    What charting service/page do you use?

Find Google finance and www.4-traders.com offer good info.

Blackjack wrote: »
    go on - and the rest

"so it may well get stuck around that area for quite some time.but I would expect a period of consolidation/slight retrace before that happens.

Don't really know the ins and outs of the 1.8 bln scenario so my thoughts are based on charts only.

Mr Bluesky"

posted here:
    http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?page=6&ShareTicker=LLOY
    Sat 15:30

seems to be in response to:
    ranger4
    Off Topic
    Opinion: No Opinion
    Price: 76.50
    mr_BlueskySat 14:32Care to share your analysis with BKIR, Recent rally seemed to take a breather friday but could be consolidating before going higher however with uncertainty with posible 1.8 billion rights issue to buyback Govs Pref shares any upside could be limited before details announced.

Thanks for posting, I value Mr Blueskys TA opinion.

Very good, tanks.
    Find Google finance and www.4-traders.com offer good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Thanks for posting, I value Mr Blueskys TA opinion.
    Clearly.
    Might be more respectful if you gave him the credit for the technical analysis, rather than posting it under your own handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What do you mean by horizontal resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Blackjack wrote: »
    Clearly.
    Might be more respectful if you gave him the credit for the technical analysis, rather than posting it under your own handle.

LOL.
    Ranger cracks me up :)
    And has done for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

BOI overvalued at 26c per share ?

I've been told that 77c per share would bring its market capitalisation right back to where it was before the bubble burst. Any truth in this as 77c is a lot lower than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

yahoo finance saying BKIR closed @ .256
    Goole finance saying .264

whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Google is abysmal when it comes to closing prices a lot of the time, been that way for ages no idea why, they seem to get confused by UTs and late reported trades etc.

Thargor wrote: »
    Google is abysmal when it comes to closing prices a lot of the time, been that way for ages no idea why, they seem to get confused by UTs and late reported trades etc.

The Davy site is usually on the money: http://www.davy.ie/TopLevel?page=iseqprices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

What affect will this rights issue have on share price?

Have been speculating on whether to purchase BOI shares now for a couple of months, and have only seen them rise.

Would I be better off waiting until after the rights issue? I realise that there is no guarantee that these shares will continue to rise, but realistically they aren't going to plummet either.

Would also like to know this. Once a rights issue has been done, does that mean the shares are diluted and so the price will drop?

If you buy now, when the rights issues comes you get a chance to buy more (right?) but at the same price or at a lower price?

Thanos wrote: »
    Would also like to know this. Once a rights issue has been done, does that mean the shares are diluted and so the price will drop?

If you buy now, when the rights issues comes you get a chance to buy more (right?) but at the same price or at a lower price?

In theory the basics are if company A has 1million shares at €1 and issues 100000 shares then all things being equal the company should still be worth €1 million so the share price should drop to reflect that.

However shares don't always act like that. Brokers may upgrade forecasts, increased liquidity,news flow, increased profits, general buying etc can move the price up or down. So to answer your question. Nobody knows the answer for sure.

If you are a shareholder and their is a rights issue its normal for existing shareholders to be offered shares. The price they are issued at is up to the brokers.

There has been no announcement so there is no way of knowing what will happen. They could always just find other ways of raising the funds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 love_struck

I cant make sense of bank of Ireland at this stage , I see it as a complete punt , how do you honestly value such a stock

I pulled out a few weeks ago and put my money in glanbia instead , working out so far and the company actually makes money too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I cant make sense of bank of Ireland at this stage , I see it as a complete punt , how do you honestly value such a stock

I pulled out a few weeks ago and put my money in glanbia instead , working out so far and the company actually makes money too

Up 4% today. I'm guessing profits and then an announcement of dividend will be the kicker to finally get the share price moving ?

Advertisement