Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference between J4 and J5?

Sorry, I missed the J5 part.

There can be a bit of a difference, depending on the level the J4 team plays at. On some teams you'll find players who wouldn't look out of place at J1 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is there much of a difference between J4 and J5?
    Not really between J4D and J5 for example , however I feel there is a massive gap between J4A and J4D . Unidare will be training in Finglas this year. The 17A might be an option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Eoin wrote: »
    Sorry, I missed the J5 part.

There can be a bit of a difference, depending on the level the J4 team plays at. On some teams you'll find players who wouldn't look out of place at J1 level.

Yeah looking at the Coolmine page their J4 lads look a tad bigger (and in some cases meaner) than me! I'd have expected them in J2 or 3 tbh.

http://www.coolminerfc.com/index.php?id=731

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yeah looking at the Coolmine page their J4 lads look a tad bigger (and in some cases meaner) than me! I'd have expected them in J2 or 3 tbh.

http://www.coolminerfc.com/index.php?id=731

Also check out Unidare; they play in the Glasnevin/Ballymum area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Hey guys if you or your clubs are looking for rugby gear pm me, jerseys, shorts, casual and training gear. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Eoin wrote: »

@.ak - Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything but a properly moulded gum shield from a dental technician/dentist.

I've heard that. Any recommendations?

Also just looking at boots online. What exactly is the difference between a pair of boots for 50 quid and a 150 quid? I really can't see what sets them apart. Is it worth spending the extra cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cheap boots will fall apart quicker, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

.ak wrote: »

Also just looking at boots online. What exactly is the difference between a pair of boots for 50 quid and a 150 quid? I really can't see what sets them apart. Is it worth spending the extra cash?

Nope, certainly not for rugby anyway unless you're a kicker. That said buy a decent pair that will last a muddy season anyway

Although I have to admit I do like to look a bit flashy, hence why I'm a stickler for the Puma rugby boots:

5392.jpg

Sorry? I couldn't hear you over your pic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

flashy enough AK. They'll be expecting some footwork if you show up in them :D

Ha. Good point. Maybe I should turn up with plastic bags wrapped around my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Cheap boots will fall apart quicker, trust me.

Never got more than season and half out of boots no matter the prices. Then again I'm a dump the boots in the kit bag caked in mud till the next session kind of guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Really depends what position people plan on playing. I play front row and usually have 2 pairs of boots in a season. I have mouldie blades which are good for the start of season when ground very hard and a bit towards the end of season. Wearing long studs in the hard ground could easily lead to an injury. I also have a pair of 8 stud boots for the usual conditions of soft ground and pissing rain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I get mine done by a club member, but any dentist I've been to before has been able to do one up. They're normally about 60-70 quid. Obviously a lot more than the DIY yokes, but I think they're a lot better. I don't see the point of skimping on gum shields.

I've bought boots for around 35 online, and they've not lasted too long, but maybe I'm not buying ones that are suitable for the front row. When I've spent 50-60, I usually get at the least a season out of them. The last pair I got are going great, and didn't need breaking in - I can't remember what brand they are though; I'll check tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

AK go to any denture repair centre and they will make a gumshield for you, they will be cheaper than the dentist, as that's where the dentist will be getting it made anyway.

Sweet, I'll have a look for one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Are You Looking to play Rugby?????

St. Mary’s College RFC J4’s & J5’s are looking for New Players!

Training begins on the 12th August

All are welcome

For more details contact:

Mossy <SNIP> or Email stmarysj5@gmail.com

Nick (087 2236146)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hugh2006

dregin wrote: »
    This is it, the leagues will be changed completely.

Howdy! Can anyone outline what changes the branch are proposing/have decided? Played a mix of J4 & J5 last fews seasons so sounds like I'll be affected. Can't find any mention of the league format anywhere else on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

hugh2006 wrote: »
    Howdy! Can anyone outline what changes the branch are proposing/have decided? Played a mix of J4 & J5 last fews seasons so sounds like I'll be affected. Can't find any mention of the league format anywhere else on the web.
    Rob Murphy on knockon.ie had a look at what leagues would look like and he is probably fairly close to what will happen.
    http://www.knockon.ie/2013/06/21/new-metro-divisional-structures/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bort Ort

Like to the look of the new format.

Should lead to a far more even split across the standards.

Will be very interested to see how they regulate how high / low players can move between teams - e.g. if a club has a team in Div 2 and their next team is division 7/8 can players move between them.

Should be able to come up with rules around this though so overall looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I assume nothing has come into play to stop a load of ex high level players coming back down the bottom of the ladder for a post christmas cup run?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bort Ort

shoutman wrote: »
    I assume nothing has come into play to stop a load of ex high level players coming back down the bottom of the ladder for a post christmas cup run?

What would you propose to counter this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bort Ort wrote: »
    What would you propose to counter this?

A rating system where players who have played at a high level can't play below say division 6 for at least 5 years after there last high level game.

stephen_n wrote: »
    A rating system where players who have played at a high level can't play below say division 6 for at least 5 years after there last high level game.

That sounds a bit drastic. What would you consider a high level? J1?

Yeah, and who'd rate the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Such a ban would need to be very carefully thought out before it could be brought in as it can do a lot more harm than it can good if it's done wrong. Players who made a couple of appearances on a team that is over and above their normal skill level, say to cover for injuries or player shortages, are very common in most clubs.

Then there are those who are dropping down a level or three from old age or injury; there are plenty of them who would be affected. Also, what about the guys who have player coach roles with teams? Again, these guys are common in the metro/junior game and it makes life a lot harder for them if playing whilst obtaining coaching badges is out of the question.

Lastly, there are guys for whom playing on a given day is out of the question and who have no choice but to change squads or even clubs to get a run out.

There are definite issues with players playing for their club at too low a squad for their level. However the solution is a little more complex than banning players from moving up or down and it needs to be done right if it's to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I agree that something has to be done, but I think the key issue isn't a lad who plays J4 or J5 and is pulled up to bench or start a couple of games for J3 or higher and then comes back to his normal level.

The issue is teams playing at J4 and J5 and come cup time there's lads who must wake way for players who have clearly come down from much higher levels to aid the clubs quest for silverware... I'm sure there's many of us who've played in J4 or J5 cup competitions and wondered where the hell some of the players have appeared from!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

haha, not sure what it is tbh, physio in my club at home told me three or four different things and its never really cleared up, can be fine some days and horrible the next

Would each squad in Clontarf train together?

Training for j4s and j5s in tarf starting on the 19th of august as far as i know.
    j4s and 5s train together on occasion only mostly separate though depends mainly on the turn out for a session

• Advertisement

Such a ban would need to be very carefully thought out before it could be brought in as it can do a lot more harm than it can good if it's done wrong. Players who made a couple of appearances on a team that is over and above their normal skill level, say to cover for injuries or player shortages, are very common in most clubs.

Then there are those who are dropping down a level or three from old age or injury; there are plenty of them who would be affected. Also, what about the guys who have player coach roles with teams? Again, these guys are common in the metro/junior game and it makes life a lot harder for them if playing whilst obtaining coaching badges is out of the question.

Lastly, there are guys for whom playing on a given day is out of the question and who have no choice but to change squads or even clubs to get a run out.

There are definite issues with players playing for their club at too low a squad for their level. However the solution is a little more complex than banning players from moving up or down and it needs to be done right if it's to be done.

Also, what if the club doesn't even have a lower team in a league that the player would be eligible for? e.g. someone dropping down from J1 to a div 7 J4 team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement