Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate hugs

Options
  • 14-08-2013 12:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Have you inappropriately hugged or been inappropriately hugged? I don't mean assaulted, I mean spent longer doing it than you should have?

For example, you meet a friend of any sex, you have seen them in a while and you give a hug. At what point does it become inappropriate for a "length of time hugging" perspective.

I got a hug from a friend recently. It was a normal hug that became prolonged. It went from a "I havent seen you in ages" hug to a "thank you for saving my life from the falling piano, how could I ever repay you" hug.

How long is too long?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

faceman wrote: »

How long is too long?

When a boner ensues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

faceman wrote: »
    Have you inappropriately hugged or been inappropriately hugged? I don't mean assaulted, I mean spent longer doing it than you should have?

For example, you meet a friend of any sex, you have seen them in a while and you give a hug. At what point does it become inappropriate for a "length of time hugging" perspective.

I got a hug from a friend recently. It was a normal hug that became prolonged. It went from a "I havent seen you in ages" hug to a "thank you for saving my life from the falling piano, how could I ever repay you" hug.

How long is too long?

It's too long if she can feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If one of them smells your hair if suppose its too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Anymore than 3 seconds and you may as well be ridin'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

:pac: < - - - - Click

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It is the same as that hand shaking craze. See how long you can make it last. My longest hug record is 3 minutes 23 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

anncoates wrote: »
    When a boner ensues.

Rule already established by Larry David.

Exact time - 5 seconds. [ /thread]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I always do my best to avoid hugs. Doesn't matter how long they last, they just make me feel uncomfortable in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I always do my best to avoid hugs. Doesn't matter how long they last, they just make me feel uncomfortable in general.

Same! Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I also dislike when a work colleague of mine places his hand on my back (not as part of a hug) and lets it linger a bit too long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I also dislike when a work colleague of mine places his hand on my back (not as part of a hug) and lets it linger a bit too long!

He's probably trying to open your bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

It is the same as that hand shaking craze. See how long you can make it last. My longest hug record is 3 minutes 23 seconds.

Does that include the making sweet sweet love first too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My life has become infinitely better since I just stopped giving a f*ck about faux pas. You can live your life in fear of embarrassing yourself or you can simply live your life. ;)

Bring back the days when you could smack a young lady on the behind without a lawsuit.

Then share some scotch and cigars with the guys in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's a common known fact that hot women love long embracing hugs.

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's a common known fact that hot women love long embracing hugs.

And men hate hiding their boners after.

Fear the boner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Most inappropriate hug I ever had was from an aul fella I know. I was sitting in the car and he came over the the window. He leaned in to hug me 'Oh you're a lovely girl, you were the best nurse to me in that hospital'. Then he full on grabbed my left tit in the process of his 'hug'. Dirty hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Elbaston wrote: »
    And men hate hiding their boners after.

Fear the boner.

I love my boner, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Surprised with all the hug hatred here. Hugging is amazing and I'd greet a lot of my friends (male and female) with hugs.

Long hugs (~20 seconds) are great for reducing cortisol (stress hormone) and releasing endorphins and oxytocin (bonding hormone).

http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/self/20-Second-stress-buster-hugging.html

EDIT: I'm male btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Rasheed wrote: »
    Most inappropriate hug I ever had was from an aul fella I know. I was sitting in the car and he came over the the window. He leaned in to hug me 'Oh you're a lovely girl, you were the best nurse to me in that hospital'. Then he full on grabbed my left tit in the process of his 'hug'. Dirty hoor.

So he didn't feel like a right tit?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Surprised with all the hug hatred here. Hugging is amazing and I'd greet a lot of my friends (male and female) with hugs.

Long hugs (~20 seconds) are great for reducing cortisol (stress hormone) and releasing endorphins and oxytocin (bonding hormone).

Unless someone was upset or needed comforting I wouldn't be hugging anybody for 20 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Nothing like a good hug!! Boner hugs are deadly cause ya know whats coming next :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm one of those people that will hug an inappropriate amount of time until it becomes awkward. It's normally above the Larry David benchmark, but below 10 seconds.
    A slow pull out and lingering hands are an important part of my awkward hug.

Watching people compose themselves afterwards is the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not hugging, but two women I work with are very touch feely; always stroking your arm or grabbing your elbow. The ironic thing is one of them gives talks on inappropriate workplace behaviour and respecting boundaries to incoming staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Hugs are easy for women towards both genders, but there's this stigma of men doing it - specially with other men.

I honestly got no problem giving a male friend I haven't seen in a fair while a quick hug and a pat on the back, instead of a brief handshake.

Nothing more than like 3 or so seconds mind you - 20 seconds would be kinda excessively, unless it's a comforting hug after something happened I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Hugs are easy for women towards both genders, but there's this stigma of men doing it - specially with other men.

I honestly got no problem giving a male friend I haven't seen in a fair while a quick hug and a pat on the back, instead of a brief handshake.
    I hug indiscriminately. Men, women, children, animals, trees, I hug them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

kylith wrote: »
    Not hugging, but two women I work with are very touch feely; always stroking your arm or grabbing your elbow. The ironic thing is one of them gives talks on inappropriate workplace behaviour and respecting boundaries to incoming staff.

gack, whatever about hugging I hate the arm touching feeling thing. I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it. I worked with a girl who couldn't talk about something without placing her hand on my arm, inevitably the "something" always turned out to be something gossipy and her creepy hand gesture was like a slimey way to engage her bull****osophy.
    I suppose it depends on who's doing the hugging/touching. (nurse touched my arm today and it was comforting so that's ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Paging Ihatecuddles.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

kylith wrote: »

That's the trouble with being irresistible isn't it kylith? They just can't keep their hands off people like you and me.

Advertisement