Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

I completed C25K in Summer 2011 which felt like a huge achievement as previously I had never managed/enjoyed running. I have done a number of 5ks/10ks since then and even managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile last year (though very slowly!). I have been a bit rubbish and not been out this year but I signed up to do the Dublin half in September in memory of my Gramps who died of Cancer last year.

This thread is so inspiring and is giving me motivation to get out regularly again and build up my mileage.

For those of you doing the Great Pink Run as your first 5k it's a great idea. It was my first 5k in 2011 and there is a great atmosphere and it's such a lovely feeling when you are finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 7 Day 2 done yesterday. I upped my speed a bit more again yesterday, and I got 350 metres further than the last day of Week 6. That's pretty good for me, because from about two thirds of the way through, it's basically all uphill (quite a steep hill). It was hard but I did it without stopping. Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Has anyone got any good recommendations for sports bras?
    Something which can handle a DD cup and ideally not make me feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Morag wrote: »
    Has anyone got any good recommendations for sports bras?
    Something which can handle a DD cup and ideally not make me feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest?

Shock absorber or nike bras are very good!

Did w5d1 today-feel great :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Panache all the way for larger busts. I have it in a 30GG, normally wear a 30H in Panache bras, and it's really good for keeping the girls under control when I run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have always had shock absorber. Just bought one of their new styles last month and it really is great for horse riding as well as running.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Managed another 30 minutes today. Was feeling a bit dodgy when I started out and didn't think for a second that I would be able to keep going that long but I did it!!

It was tough and really slow (I probably could have walked it quicker!) but hopefully it will be easier the next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tempted to do sprinting intervals tomorrow as a break before I start week 6 on tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

W3D3 is complete. The 5 minute runs in week 4 are going to be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

W8D2 I can see myself stuck on this one for a while, I can't do the second interval of 20mins yet.

Ended up in the Doctors on Friday morning, landed myself with a kidney infection but I decided I'd still go out on a run.I managed 4k, lots of stops & starts, I felt physically sick after it :(

Feeling much better today and managed 4.48k with two short breathers, got a good sprint in the last 100m :)

@ Bluewolf - That's a good idea. I'm just after downloading the App, I'm going to try add it into next weeks schedule. Thanks for putting the idea in my head :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    W8D2 I can see myself stuck on this one for a while, I can't do the second interval of 20mins yet.

Ended up in the Doctors on Friday morning, landed myself with a kidney infection but I decided I'd still go out on a run.I managed 4k, lots of stops & starts, I felt physically sick after it :(

Feeling much better today and managed 4.48k with two short breathers, got a good sprint in the last 100m :)

@ Bluewolf - That's a good idea. I'm just after downloading the App, I'm going to try add it into next weeks schedule. Thanks for putting the idea in my head :D

Oh what app? :)
    I was just going to stick the thing on incline and do 1 or 2 min bouts and repeat!
    4.5k awesome!!!

It's called Interval timer Ad, it lets you set your own time ie sprint, rest and rounds ect, it beeps between each to let you know when to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w5d2 done and I LOVED it :D

Did my sprinting intervals outside this evening. Positive: there is nothing like running outside at night time. Negative: Running outside vs treadmill shattered any illusions I may have had about my fitness :p
    Did look for an app as suggested but the one I had was buggy so switched back to using my c25k app on week 1 just for the beeps and it suited fine, 1 min all out sprinting, 1.5min walking, and repeat.
    Think I did 8-10 intervals between all the app messing around
    Started off badly and got an awful killer stitch but kept going
    My last sprint was only 45s but I ran so fast a nearby car slowed down, I'd say they thought I was being murdered :D

According to google maps I did nearly 5k but I would say that's a bit unlikely... 4 at most surely

Oh man I need to do stretches!

I might try intervals for a bit of variation - I'm getting a bit sick of running continuously around in circles.

Had a go last week but I tired myself out so much after two sprints that I couldn't run anymore! :P But I was only leaving 30 seconds between them which probably wasn't enough time.

Wasn't able to manage a full 30 min run today. I slowed down to a walk for a few minutes about half way through. But I got going again and finished the 30 minutes. Even with the walk, I was faster than yesterday which was not difficult as a power walker would probably have overtaken me then!

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I might try intervals for a bit of variation - I'm getting a bit sick of running continuously around in circles.

Had a go last week but I tired myself out so much after two sprints that I couldn't run anymore! :P But I was only leaving 30 seconds between them which probably wasn't enough time.

Yeah I got that godawful stitch after the second one and I was very glad of the 1.5min walking rests, I think they're about right. After the third one I think it was more like a 3 min walking rest, but then I got back into it. I think it's supposed to be about 80% of your max sprinting speed for these not 100% so you shouldn't overdo it either. Hopefully it helps!

You did your 30 mins today one way or the other so good work :cool:
    It's easy to chide yourself I guess, I was like "pf I only did 8-10 intervals today come on" until I realised the most I'd done before was 6 mins total in sprints so erm... getting there :p

Yeah, think I was pushing myself too much the last time. Didn't really know what I was doing tbh! Might try it tomorrow with 1.5 mins between sprints and see how it goes.

I can be too hard on myself sometimes - I always want to do a little better than the day before, faster or further, even though I know it's not always possible or realistic. I should be just happy with myself for making the effort and it all contributes to improving my fitness.

Well yesterday was the last day of week 7 and it was a disaster, I only ran half, and had to walk the rest. I was tired, hungry, and I think i started it too early so it was too hot (it was well over 30 degrees).

I will still go on to week 8, because I have done three 25 minute runs, so I can do it. I just have to be on form!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi all. I decided I am going to give the fitness another try. I did a 5k back in April in abut 45mins walking and jogging - I found it tough. I did the mini marathon in June in hr and half. But I did another 5k early last month for my local GAA club and after 2k I literally couldn't lift my legs and had no stamina to keep going. I would try to go out walking a bit, can walk 5k fine and did a few 10k walks in prep for mini marathon. But when I try to progress from walking to jogging I just can't manage it. I'm hoping that c25k will help me progress from walking to jogging.

I have an older model of ipod, I can't find anything on the itunes store as they are all apps for iphones - can anyone recommend a website to dowload the c25k program?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So I think we're heading our tonight, doing week 5 again I think. I'm a bit worried about the lack of exercise since Wednesday which is the last day I was out! I wish i could just do it every second day but not always ideal so I suppose it's better than not going out at all!

It's the big one tonight, 20 mins non stop :-O!!

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz - I used a podcast by a man called Robert Ullrey. It did the job but the music was a bit rubbish. You can download it here and there are a number of other podcast options on that website also.

Good luck with the 20 minute run tonight leahyl!. I wouldn't worry about a 4 day break; I've had a few 3 day breaks and they made no difference.

Ivy, 30 degrees sounds like torture to me, no wonder you had a bad day!

So I tried the one minute intervals today. Really enjoyed the first couple of minutes of sprinting but after that it was very tough. Managed to do 10 anyway although I did get progressively slower!

I feel good after it. Think I'll try to do that every now and then for a bit of variety. :)

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hi all. I decided I am going to give the fitness another try. I did a 5k back in April in abut 45mins walking and jogging - I found it tough. I did the mini marathon in June in hr and half. But I did another 5k early last month for my local GAA club and after 2k I literally couldn't lift my legs and had no stamina to keep going. I would try to go out walking a bit, can walk 5k fine and did a few 10k walks in prep for mini marathon. But when I try to progress from walking to jogging I just can't manage it. I'm hoping that c25k will help me progress from walking to jogging.

I have an older model of ipod, I can't find anything on the itunes store as they are all apps for iphones - can anyone recommend a website to dowload the c25k program?

I use c25kfree which luckily I downloaded before they got to the versions only compatible with the latest iphones and whathaveyou, but someone said if you write to the publisher you could ask for an older version??
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/c25k-5k-trainer-free/id485971733?mt=8
    If that doesn't work then it's a podcast only I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks ice storm and bluewolf. I downloaded the Robert ullrey podcast for week 1 and am not long back from my first session. I have to say I enjoyed it. The one minute run intervals went by so quick and the 90 second walk intervals seemed so long! I actually liked the music, it got me moving anyway! Took just under half an hour with warm ups and downs. W1D1 done.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks ice storm and bluewolf. I downloaded the Robert ullrey podcast for week 1 and am not long back from my first session. I have to say I enjoyed it. The one minute run intervals went by so quick and the 90 second walk intervals seemed so long! I actually liked the music, it got me moving anyway! Took just under half an hour with warm ups and downs. W1D1 done.
    I find the music a bit dodge on the Ullrey podcasts but it does get me moving.
    That song from week 1 "Leave me alllone leave me alone I don't want to see you, leave me alone leave me alone I don't want to be with you" has been stuck in my head on and off since week 1!

I find the music a bit dodge on the Ullrey podcasts but it does get me moving.
    That song from week 1 "Leave me alllone leave me alone I don't want to see you, leave me alone leave me alone I don't want to be with you" has been stuck in my head on and off since week 1!
    Lol, I generally found the music on day 1 ok but by the time I got to day 3 I was sick of it and ready to move on to the next week!

I don't run with music at the minute because the area that I run in is fairly isolated and I like to be fully aware of my surroundings. I miss it, it's good for motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Completed my first half marathon today just over a year after starting C25K, can't say I ran it all but did manage to run a good bit. This time last year I struggled to finish a 5k so going the whole 21k feels amazing. Anyone doubting the plan, believe me it works!!!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Completed my first half marathon today just over a year after starting C25K, can't say I ran it all but did manage to run a good bit. This time last year I struggled to finish a 5k so going the whole 21k feels amazing. Anyone doubting the plan, believe me it works!!!
    21K!

You are my GOD.

/bows before eviltwin/

Well done!

eviltwin wrote: »

Well done you!!! I can only dream of being able to run that long :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Oh sweet mother of God. Just back from W4D1. That was tough. It was like doing W1D1 all over again. I completed it but found that it was a big jump up from week 3. In hindsight, I think I would have preferred if W3 had an extra short run in it just to bridge the gap a bit between week 3 and week 4 in terms of time spent running. However, it's done so it can only get better this week.

The positives: last week I found the 3 minute runs tough and thought they would never end. Today they were no problem and I found the 5 min more manageable than I thought, but 16 minutes is a long time running instead of 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh sweet mother of God. Just back from W4D1. That was tough. It was like doing W1D1 all over again. I completed it but found that it was a big jump up from week 3. In hindsight, I think I would have preferred if W3 had an extra short run in it just to bridge the gap a bit between week 3 and week 4 in terms of time spent running. However, it's done so it can only get better this week.

The positives: last week I found the 3 minute runs tough and thought they would never end. Today they were no problem and I found the 5 min more manageable than I thought, but 16 minutes is a long time running instead of 9.

Good on you rainbowtrout! Actually looking forward to going out tonight! lets see how I get on after a weekend of eating out! :o:eek:

Advertisement