Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did w1d2 yesterday evening. Half way through it I found my legs and feet just felt heavy and harder to lift. But then it eased off and got through it fine, really pushed on the last interval for good measure. But realised after why I found it harder than the first day - my first day was Monday the bank holiday so I had a relaxing mornig before I went out. Yesterday evening, I got out after doing a full day in work, home, cook difnner and clean kitchen. Then it started raining at 8 when I ready to go so I sat at the window like a child waiting for the rain to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So I'm just back from W5D3!! I ran for 20 minutes without stopping!! strangely enough just past the halfway mark I got another burst of energy and just kept going!! I feel superhuman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just back from W4D3. It's getting better. My breathing is drastically improved since week 1 and while I'm not losing weight I'm noticing a big difference in the shape and size of my legs. They are definitely thinner, more muscle and less fat. Very pleased with that along with the fact that 5 minute runs aren't totally killing me compared to week 1 where 45 seconds into the 1 minute runs I was wheezing like someone that had lungs the size of peanuts! Week 5 next, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

First week done. Fingers crossed for next week. You wouldn't think it but it is actually warm out there! 3.7km done including warm up and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ran a full 5k today, first time ever!! :D

Was a little disappointed with how long it took me (a lot longer than 30 mins :o) but I guess it means I have loads of room for improvement!

• Advertisement

Did W5D1 earlier. It wasn't that bad, as it isn't too different from the week 4 runs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did W5D1 earlier. It wasn't that bad, as it isn't too different from the week 4 runs.

I have been struggling with Week 4 (I've done it twice now) so I have been afraid to move on to Week 5. Hopefully will do so this week :) Well done!

miamee wrote: »
    I have been struggling with Week 4 (I've done it twice now) so I have been afraid to move on to Week 5. Hopefully will do so this week :) Well done!

Thanks! Is it that your finishing the runs but feel it's too slow or you're not making to the end of the 5 minute runs?

I'm feeling the effects of yesterday on my legs today, I'm a bit stiff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks! Is it that your finishing the runs but feel it's too slow or you're not making to the end of the 5 minute runs?

I'm feeling the effects of yesterday on my legs today, I'm a bit stiff.

Am making it to the ends of the runs but barely, I find that I am very tired the last few times where I am already dreading the second 5 minute run when I have just finished the first :D I never felt like that on any of the other weeks, I feel I have barely struggled through this week rather than just done it, if that makes sense?

I must check my times to see if I am fooling myself or if I have actually been slower. I think it might be a mental block more than anything, I might just give W5D1 a lash and see how I get on.

Am making it to the ends of the runs but barely, I find that I am very tired the last few times where I am already dreading the second 5 minute run when I have just finished the first :D I never felt like that on any of the other weeks, I feel I have barely struggled through this week rather than just done it, if that makes sense?

I must check my times to see if I am fooling myself or if I have actually been slower. I think it might be a mental block more than anything, I might just give W5D1 a lash and see how I get on.

I found that in week 4 too mainly because the amount of time spent running nearly doubled from what it was in week 3. But when I checked my route on google maps (not using phone apps etc when I run) I'm covering 850m in 5 minutes which I felt was slow but doing the maths is 5k/30 min pace.

Even though im only new to this I'd push on to week 5 in your position. W5d1 is three 5 min runs so not all that different from week 4.

• Advertisement

W6D1 - not too bad since it was all relatively "short" runs tonight - 2 5min runs, a 3min run and some walking in between. Tomorrow is 2 10 min runs and some walking and then at the end of the week it's the big one with 2min added on to make 22min non stop running :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Am making it to the ends of the runs but barely, I find that I am very tired the last few times
    Maybe you should looking at easing back on your pace a little, any time I upped my pace I felt like that. So I easy back a bit on pace, for me it was running the time that counted, not the distance.
    I am already dreading the second 5 minute run when I have just finished the first
    I know that it not an easy thing to do but forget what times you have to run on a given day, so just concentrate on the bit you are running and not worrying about the next bit, if you a using an APP for the C25K it will remind you when you have to run and just do the run section by section.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

went out last night for my first run since doing the half, I had to stop at 20 mins :( The outside of my right leg, from knee to about half way down my leg was really starting to bother me, not a massive amount of pain or anything but just really uncomfortable and heavy feeling. It was fine when I got home and is grand today so I might try again later.

Aches and pains are normal enough for me and I'm hoping this is just more of the same but at what point do you have to go see a professional? I am totally cash strapped at the moment so going to see a physio is not really an option at the moment.

eviltwin wrote: »
    went out last night for my first run since doing the half, I had to stop at 20 mins :( The outside of my right leg, from knee to about half way down my leg was really starting to bother me, not a massive amount of pain or anything but just really uncomfortable and heavy feeling. It was fine when I got home and is grand today so I might try again later.

Aches and pains are normal enough for me and I'm hoping this is just more of the same but at what point do you have to go see a professional? I am totally cash strapped at the moment so going to see a physio is not really an option at the moment.

eviltwin, I wouldn't be forking out for a physio just yet. Do you do warm up stretches before you start? This might help. I should really take my own advice cos I don't do warm up stretches at all and sometimes my right inner thigh is a little painful when I'm running (as if I've pulled it) - not sure why it's always there I get it!

leahyl wrote: »
    eviltwin, I wouldn't be forking out for a physio just yet. Do you do warm up stretches before you start? This might help. I should really take my own advice cos I don't do warm up stretches at all and sometimes my right inner thigh is a little painful when I'm running (as if I've pulled it) - not sure why it's always there I get it!
    I didn't think you were supposed to do stretches to warm up because apparently you can do damage stretching cold muscles. As far as I know, a brisk 5 minute walk should be sufficient but I'm certainly no expert!

eviltwin, I can't advise about when you should go to a physio as I've never been to one myself but I'd guess your body is still in recovery. I'd take it easy for a while, don't push yourself too hard too soon.

I've been feeling a bit of pain myself lately. I had to cut a run short last week because my leg just didn't feel right. From reading about it, it seems to be the muscles repairing themselves so I've been taking more rest days. But every time I run it seems like a different part of me hurts!!

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I didn't think you were supposed to do stretches to warm up because apparently you can do damage stretching cold muscles. As far as I know, a brisk 5 minute walk should be sufficient but I'm certainly no expert!

eviltwin, I can't advise about when you should go to a physio as I've never been to one myself but I'd guess your body is still in recovery. I'd take it easy for a while, don't push yourself too hard too soon.

I've been feeling a bit of pain myself lately. I had to cut a run short last week because my leg just didn't feel right. From reading about it, it seems to be the muscles repairing themselves so I've been taking more rest days. But every time I run it seems like a different part of me hurts!!

I have heard conflicting advice myself! I have heard what you said before too but sometimes I don't think a 5 minute walk is enough and I still get that pain in my inner thigh as if I've pulled it - so maybe I should do stretches AFTER my run then....:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yea always stretch after
    I just walk to warm up

haven't been out in a week! Still haven't found a park here

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Eviltwin - look up exercises for your iliotibial band. Issues with it are not uncommon after longer races.

I have heard conflicting advice myself! I have heard what you said before too but sometimes I don't think a 5 minute walk is enough and I still get that pain in my inner thigh as if I've pulled it - so maybe I should do stretches AFTER my run then....:)
    Yeah, first time I ever went to a gym I was given sets of warm up and cool down stretches. It was only when I started running and was looking into stretches that I read that they may not be a good idea to warm up.

I always stretch after though, as much as I hate doing it when all I want is to throw myself on the couch. It definitely helps.

bluewolf are you going to keep using the cross trainer? I find it really tough myself - I think I'm somewhat fit but then I add my arms into the mix and realise that I'm really, really not!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

If I have time I like to do a couple of leg drills ...if not I just do the 5min walk as a warm up.

Here's a link if anyone else is interested in trying them:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Yeah, first time I ever went to a gym I was given sets of warm up and cool down stretches. It was only when I started running and was looking into stretches that I read that they may not be a good idea to warm up.

I always stretch after though, as much as I hate doing it when all I want is to throw myself on the couch. It definitely helps.

bluewolf are you going to keep using the cross trainer? I find it really tough myself - I think I'm somewhat fit but then I add my arms into the mix and realise that I'm really, really not!

My backside is killing me today so... Yeah :cool: tomorrow morning I'll go again. Miracle if I could manage 20mins on it

Did W5D2 a while ago. The 8 minute runs weren't as bad as I thought. Found the second one tiring and found the 5 minute walk in between made my legs tie up a bit, I'd have nearly been as well to keep running. I wasn't back to my start point when I got to 8 minutes on the second run so I kept going and did 8.5 minutes. Pretty happy with that. It's the big one next!!!

I did Week 5 Day 1 this morning, woohoo! It was tough but I pushed on and didn't stop. Success :D Thanks for all the encouragement the other day, Day 2 to tackle on Friday now ;)

W6D2 last night - it was 2 10 min runs with a 3 min walk in between. I have to say I found the second 10mins tough but got there in the end. Have a good break now before I do W6D3 on Sunday - 22mins non-stop running :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

So I started this last January to get fit for a snowboarding holiday (well, I started 3 weeks beforehand, so not very much good!), and unfortunately I just never got back to it after getting home.

But now, seen as I'm doing a volunteer project with horses in South Africa in November, I have to get fit, so I'm giving it another go!

Because I'm so unfit (I've spent the last few months basically just sitting), I'm doing the first week halved - I have asthma as well so I want to build up my fitness very gradually for that.

But hopefully it'll work out this time!

Wow, volunteering with horses sounds amazing! :) And a great incentive to get fit. You have loads of time between now and November so take it as slow as you need.

I'll be doing the Inca Trail in October so I'd like to be in good shape for that. Whenever I'm finding it tough or need a bit of motivation to go out I remind myself of what I'm working towards. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Week 4, run 1 completed last night - tried to use the Runkeeper app last night and couldn't figure it out. Found it hard going with the breathing, but felt grand afterward, if not a bit stiff today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Silly question but what do y'all wear when running?

Now that it's so warm I dont wanna wear sweat pants but the area I'm living in now isnt as nice as where I was so I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing shorts. I saw a few people mention running leggings and I was wondering, could I wear normal penneys cheapie leggings under my shorts and run in that?

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Silly question but what do y'all wear when running?

Now that it's so warm I dont wanna wear sweat pants but the area I'm living in now isnt as nice as where I was so I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing shorts. I saw a few people mention running leggings and I was wondering, could I wear normal penneys cheapie leggings under my shorts and run in that?

I wear Nike dri fit capri running leggings - I find them great and I don't sweat in them at all. I have a few pairs of them so they keep me going - just got 2 pairs recently on sportsdirect.com where they have great value.

I can't really comment on the penny's leggings but I wouldn't say they'd be great quality but if it's all you can afford at the moment then I'm sure they'd do fine for a while :)

I don't find the nike pants warm either - they are perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I wear Nike dri fit capri running leggings - I find them great and I don't sweat in them at all. I have a few pairs of them so they keep me going - just got 2 pairs recently on sportsdirect.com where they have great value.

I can't really comment on the penny's leggings but I wouldn't say they'd be great quality but if it's all you can afford at the moment then I'm sure they'd do fine for a while :)

I don't find the nike pants warm either - they are perfect

I've the addidas clima-cool shorts like, was just wondering if the light cotton leggins would be ok underneath do I'm no out in bare legs! I wouldnt go out in just running leggings, nobody deserves that :pac:

Advertisement