Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh sweet mother of God. Just back from W4D1. That was tough. It was like doing W1D1 all over again. I completed it but found that it was a big jump up from week 3. In hindsight, I think I would have preferred if W3 had an extra short run in it just to bridge the gap a bit between week 3 and week 4 in terms of time spent running. However, it's done so it can only get better this week.

The positives: last week I found the 3 minute runs tough and thought they would never end. Today they were no problem and I found the 5 min more manageable than I thought, but 16 minutes is a long time running instead of 9.

I can recommend doing a 5 min walk after each session and then doing some sprint intervals, helps a bit

eviltwin congrats!! That's amazing! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can recommend doing a 5 min walk after each session and then doing some sprint intervals, helps a bit

eviltwin congrats!! That's amazing! Well done!

Well I finish the session with a 5 minute walk, or longer depending on how far I am from my car, then normally go home and get my dogs and bring them for a walk. To be honest, I'm not up to sprinting yet. I'm not going to worry about speed too much until I've built up to 30 minute runs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well I finish the session with a 5 minute walk, or longer depending on how far I am from my car, then normally go home and get my dogs and bring them for a walk. To be honest, I'm not up to sprinting yet. I'm not going to worry about speed too much until I've built up to 30 minute runs.

Oh i didnt mean for speed I just meant it seems to help with the next step of each program or it did for me anyway :o
    Sorry i'll shut up about sprinting now :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sunny Dayz, I've non-internet iPod, too. The NHS podcasts are what I used. Do a search on iTunes for NHS Couch to 5k - think it's about 13 episodes in total - will take you right through the programme. Music mightn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Must read up on sprint intervals...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are some good podcasts with music. Kissmyblackass.org and GoNicole Yourself are very good - they include the prompts to run/walk which helps.

For the longer runs with no intervals I use the podcasts at Steadymixes.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Did W1D1 this morning, holy cow, it's not easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Did another 30 minute run today, no walking this time. And I managed to run a little faster than the last time! :) Did over 4k in the 30 mins, and 6 in total including warm up and cool down walks. Think I'm going to try to run a full 5k next week.

I do wish I could enjoy it a bit more - it's still such a struggle at the minute but I definitely am improving so hopefully it will get easier in time.

Giving my legs a break tomorrow; I feel like I've earned it! :pac:

Doing today's in my walking runners instead of running runners was a baaad idea! My poor feet!

Went well otherwise though, w6d1, jogging pace for the last one was up to 9kph :eek:
    could only do 3 sprints between the blisters and shin splints

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

W8D2 (AGAIN)

After a lot of fiddling around with the App today I got just over a 5k done. I found it tough today in regards to my breathing it was quite irregular, I just couldn't breath through my nose (damn sinus) by the time I finished I looked like I'd been slapped around the face with a red herring :o

@ bluewolf - hope the blisters heal up soon.

@ ice storm - I hear you, I feel the same, I'm improving but still struggling. I suppose as the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day"....we'll get there eventually. Enjoy your rest day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just back after doing W5D2 - was tough but I got through it - didn't stop!! It is easier i find if you're doing it with someone else though - forces you to keep going!

Friday is the big 20! Not sure how ill fare on that one...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Julybreeze wrote: »

Any questions, we've got your back. Welcome to the so this is what those muscles are for club. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Julybreeze wrote: »

Well done!!! I won't lie and say it gets easier - it doesn't - but it does become addictive. :)

Any questions, we've got your back. Welcome to the so this is what those muscles are for club. :pac:
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Well done!!! I won't lie and say it gets easier - it doesn't - but it does become addictive. :)

Thanks for the support, great to know you've all been there at some stage!

My main aim is not to get injured, in the past two years I've had a tib/fib fracture, plantar fasciitis, patellar tendinitis and a sprained hip. The latter two were caused/exacerbated by the plantar fasciitis which was worsened by the tib/fib fracture.

Apart from streching is there anything else I could be doing to prevent injury?

+1 on it being addictive! :)

Julybreeze do you have a decent pair of runners? They're a necessity for me anyway as I have quite flat feet and as such, am prone to shin splits and other related injuries. Definitely worth the investment.

Yes I can definitely say get good runners preferably after a gait analysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 8 Day 1 done yesterday evening. Much much easier than the last day! I slowed the pace right down and I got the 28 minutes done without stopping. I have to remember not to worry about speed yet, and just try to get 5km done.
    The fact that it was "only" 29 degrees and cloudy made it a lot easier.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    +1 on it being addictive! :)

Julybreeze do you have a decent pair of runners? They're a necessity for me anyway as I have quite flat feet and as such, am prone to shin splits and other related injuries. Definitely worth the investment.
    Yes I can definitely say get good runners preferably after a gait analysis

Yeah I have a decent pair of asics but they're getting old so will be replacing them soon. I also wear custom-made orthotics.

Oh I love my ASICS! So comfortable and they weren't too dear in comparison to other, less comfortable, runners.

W8D2 (Yes I decided to move on :D)

So today I decided I'd run on the beach, looking at cars passing me by is getting boring. I didn't finish the full 40mins I managed 30mins minus the 5min warm up & cool down.

I Took it at an easier pace today as I think I might just be running too fast then my body can handle, kept my breathing at a steady pace so I ended up enjoying it more, got 5 1/2 k done.

@ Julybreeze - Same as the others have said, get yourself a good pair of runners...I might be wrong on this but I've heard that runners should be replaced yearly? I got fitted for mine, I ended up with a pair of Brooks from Amphibian King (Fashion City) they were expensive but worth every penny. I no longer get shin splints or pain in mt knees.

Another thing would be to run on grass, it will have less impact on the joints.

Do you think new runners would stop the splints and knee pain?
    I mean I have some and they've been great but it's been a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not long back from W4D2. It was easier than day 1. Easier in the loosest sense of the word. :D But overall, I was thinking about it when I was out this evening and realised when I was doing the last 5 min run and was tired, that my legs weren't hurting they could have gone on a bit further, but it was my lungs that were taking the battering! W5D3 looms ever closer!!!

Do you think new runners would stop the splints and knee pain?
    I mean I have some and they've been great but it's been a few years

I'm not sure, it worked for me...in saying that I got the gait analysis done it was based on my foot strike,push off, foot & arch shape....basically I have a dodgy gait and the runner is designed to add support were it's needed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

My runners are almost ten years old :o

I did the mini marathon in them in 2003 :o but not much since then obviously. I have to get a new pair but they are working fine so far.

W6D2 done on tired legs this morning. Twas tough going but I got there.

I've had my runners for over two years but I've probably used them more in the last month than I had done in the two years prior to that! I think it's recommended that you replace them after a certain distance (from a quick google it seems to be between about 400-500 miles) but how you're supposed to keep track of that is beyond me! :confused:

Had a good run today; getting a bit faster! :) Really didn't feel like running when I dragged myself out of bed this morning but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Hi, its good to see so many people doing the C25K
    Hard to believe that its almost a year since started C25K
    Myself I had to take some time off from running for a few months.
    I am back running again for the last 2 months and so far so good, completed a 10K a few weeks back and did a better time then I though I would, so I was very pleased with that.
    I have the streets of Galway on Saturday, just 8K but looking forward to it.
    Best of luck to the rest of you with your running.

For those of you who are worried about the next run, just think what you did in the last run, its just a bit further and running a bit longer, that the beauty of C25K, its all about progression at your own pace

If anyone wants do run a measured 5K run, check out http://www.parkrun.ie
    It a free event every Saturday, and its a run not a race, at this stage there are 3 events in Dublin, on in Cork and I see one starting in Westport :D in September. All you have to do is register and away you go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkrun

If anyone wants do run a measured 5K run, check out http://www.parkrun.ie
    It a free event every Saturday, and its a run not a race, at this stage there are 3 events in Dublin, on in Cork and I see one starting in Westport :D in September. All you have to do is register and away you go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkrun

I've just signed up, I'm going to go to the Malahide park run.....Thanks for that :)

In a few weeks I can try that too! yay, that's brilliant

I was reading about parkruns earlier this week in the health part of the Irish Times. It's a really good idea and they seem to be very popular. Wish there was one closer to me. :(

That parkrun thing sounds great!

Week 8, Day 2 done last night, it was great! The fact that it was much cooler made a huuuuuge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's one very close to me, but I've only done it once because the course is insanely hilly. It's a great idea though, and really welcoming for new runners.

Advertisement