Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will form the next government?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If SF were the majority party in government, I think I'd be on the of roof my garage firing a shotgun into the air, barking instructions to the people in my driveway to stock the canned goods faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you had to bet, who do you think (not hope) will form the next govt? I suspect it will be FF, Lab and SF.
    Labour will have lost all support. FF may get in on their own, as people blame FG for all the bad things, as opposed to FF who gave the ****ed up country to FG.

SF are implementing the things up north that they're protesting against down here. And I'd wonder how the many large US companies would view SF policy on non-indigenous companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

the_syco wrote: »
    FF may get in on their own

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Have you got any more like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fibonaccii

I can see a SF + IND Government.

Im not saying it will be good but it is the only alternative to FG/FF/LAB

If Sinn Fein took on legalising weed, if they got into power I could see them getting a majority even.

Young people(30's down) dont give a flying **** about the north and will want change, Sinn Fein will appear to be the only ones offering change.

Get on to Paddy Power quick! I'm calling it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Labour will have lost all support. FF may get in on their own, as people blame FG for all the bad things, as opposed to FF who gave the ****ed up country to FG.

SF are implementing the things up north that they're protesting against down here. And I'd wonder how the many large US companies would view SF policy on non-indigenous companies?

Have you any examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

such as?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fine Gael and Labour, albeit with a much reduced majority and the possibility of having to rely on Independents for support.
    Henlars67 wrote: »
    such as?

How about the following as an example?

Proposed cuts to small schools unacceptable - Deputy Jonathan O'Brien
    “Minister Quinn has made clear his intention again to target small schools by increasing their pupil teacher ratio (PTR) and this very regressive measure will come as a serious blow to rural communities.

Maghera and Aghadowney primary school closures approved
    The closures of Drumard PS, Maghera and Cullycapple PS, Aghadowey, both County Londonderry, have been given final approval by Education Minister John O'Dowd.

Scores of primary schools in Northern Ireland are facing closure.

SF complaining of rural school closures down south, yet the SF Education Minister is closing them up North. Their policies are totally out of kilter and are partitionist in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Fine Gael and Labour, albeit with a much reduced majority and the possibility of having to rely on Independents for support.

SF complaining of rural school closures down south, yet the SF Education Minister is closing them up North. Their policies are totally out of kilter and are partitionist in nature.

No point keeping a school open that has only 13 pupils. complete waste of money.

There are no contradictions between those two statements. Did you actually read them, or just the headings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

From the link.

]John O'Dowd said a steady decline in enrolments had meant there were only 13 pupils enrolled in Drumard this academic year and only 20 enrolled at Cullycapple PS.

13 pupils in the school not a class. The whole school.

Aside from that, the school is just over 5 miles away from maghera town itself, a bustling town with an abundance of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

fibonaccii wrote: »
    I can see a SF + IND Government.

Im not saying it will be good but it is the only alternative to FG/FF/LAB

If Sinn Fein took on legalising weed, if they got into power I could see them getting a majority even.

Young people(30's down) dont give a flying **** about the north and will want change, Sinn Fein will appear to be the only ones offering change.

Get on to Paddy Power quick! I'm calling it now!

Young people don't vote in this country (or in many countries for that matter) - many reasons for this, not all of which is apathy. Registration issues and a milleiu of other things affect it. Either way, they don't vote in great enough numbers to worry any government, let alone massively affect the makeup of a government.

Want proof? 2 issues: automatic medical cards for OAP's vs. College Fees - how did the Government deal with these two issues? Who do you reckon they are more afraid of, students/young people or OAPs?

As for who will make up the next government, I'd reckon it will be FG, a downsized Labour and some independents or this new Michael McDowell Party if that ever does come about. Not taking pleasure in saying that of course, I have no love for the blueshirts - but it's the only prediction that makes sense.

This talk of a SF majority is childishness and betrays a naievity about politics more laughable than even the Gilmore for Taoiseach stuff of old. Nor is it actually something to be strived for - look past their rhetoric down here to what they are actually doing up North, they're basically FF 2.0 with added shady pasts. A FF/SF coalition (which I can definately see happening eventually, although probably not the next Government - perhaps the Government after that) would be emigration station for me.

Listless Blueshirts and Spineless Social-Democrats I can almost stomach - a coalition of serially corrupt gob****es whose stupidity destroyed the nation and provo murderers would be too much, and if the Irish people were stupid enough to vote in that combination they deserve everything they get as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Damien360 wrote: »
    Definitely going to be SF with someone else . With the 1916 anniversary approaching fast and that is also the year of possible next election (correct me if I am wrong) , they will play the nationalist/green jersey card and get a ton of votes .

The only way out if this is a new party formed . that way we will be voting in the same bunch of clowns again

Speaking of a New party, I read over the weekend that Róisín Shortall is in discussions about this very thing. She was stabbed in the back by that basard gilmore, so She deserves a crack at it. Surely She can't do any worse anyhow than the bunch of spinelesss prícks currently milking the system in Dáil Éireann.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Henlars67 wrote: »
    No point keeping a school open that has only 13 pupils. complete waste of money.

I am not disagreeing with you there. I am just saying that you cannot argue that small schools are of 'fundamental importance' to rural communities down south, and then flip the argument the other way up north. It is a contradiction in policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fibonaccii

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Want proof? 2 issues: automatic medical cards for OAP's vs. College Fees - how did the Government deal with these two issues? Who do you reckon they are more afraid of, students/young people or OAPs?

Aha! This is something ive been meaning to bring up for sometime. The reason college students didn't go mad is because any changes that come into college grants/payments apart from the registration fee is that it will only effect new students ie secondary school children who would not protest.

Cut the back to education allowance and college grant in effect for existing students you would have a major riot on hand, it would start off peaceful but by the 6th can, all hell would brake loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I am not disagreeing with you there. I am just saying that you cannot argue that small schools are of 'fundamental importance' to rural communities down south, and then flip the argument the other way up north. It is a contradiction in policy.

It's essentially a different country though, under British rule and a different system probably with superior funding from the British exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

I read the other day that Roisin Shortall and some other former Labour Party members were talking about forming a new party, hence dig at her by Eamonn Gilmore saying that she was full of bitterness should leave the party. The proposed new party would include some others from the United Left Alliance.

Additionally, according to yesterdays Sunday Business Post, Joan Burton has threatened to resign from the Government if she is forced to cut a further E400m from the Social Welfare budget.

Murt10 wrote: »
    I read the other day that Roisin Shortall and some other former Labour Party members were talking about forming a new party, hence dig at her by Eamonn Gilmore saying that she was full of bitterness should leave the party. The proposed new party would include some others from the United Left Alliance.

Additionally, according to yesterdays Sunday Business Post, Joan Burton has threatened to resign from the Government if she is forced to cut a further E400m from the Social Welfare budget.

This the piece You also read, OP?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shortall-in-talks-with-rebels-to-set-up-new-party-29469389.html

Personally, I would fully support RS here, EXCEPT, I sure as hell would want to know what 'independents' She's talking to. Surely we don't need anymore pot smoking, or tax evading independent 'TD's'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lelantos wrote: »
    SinnFein in govt...lunatics....asylum....

I'd say they'd bankrupt the country and introduce taxes on everything..

Hold on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    This the piece You also read, OP?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shortall-in-talks-with-rebels-to-set-up-new-party-29469389.html

Personally, I would fully support RS here, EXCEPT, I sure as hell would want to know what 'independents' She's talking to. Surely we don't need anymore pot smoking, or tax evading independent 'TD's'

....can't see the problem with post smoking TDs meself.

Nodin wrote: »
    ....can't see the problem with post smoking TDs meself.

So now we smoke our post? LOL

I too don't have an issue with it, just not sure what message it sends out to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

For anyone who is unaware, Sierra Oscar is a member of Fianna Fáil so any criticism he makes of another opposition party, in this case superficial, false fallacious "assertions" about SF only reveals his and his party's conflict on interest.

It is despicable and dishonest that Sierra Oscar tries to give the impression that he is a non-party affiliated 'floating' voter because he never states it. Look at the Politics forum for example, it is all about how well FF are doing in the polls, why people should support them etc. Not to mention that he was a Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen supporter.

• Advertisement

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    For anyone who is unaware, Sierra Oscar is a member of Fianna Fáil so any criticism he makes of another opposition party, in this case superficial, false fallacious "assertions" about SF only reveals his and his party's conflict on interest.

It is despicable and dishonest that Sierra Oscar tries to give the impression that he is a non-party affiliated 'floating' voter because he never states it. Look at the Politics forum for example, it is all about how well FF are doing in the polls, why people should support them etc. Not to mention that he was a Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen supporter.

IF that's the case ( and I'm not saying You are lying here OC), then can someone answer me this: HOW can a MODERATOR act imapartially and at the same time, have a view so directed to one end of an argument or the other?

This just NOT fair.

So now we smoke our post? LOL

I too don't have an issue with it, just not sure what message it sends out to others.

....to cop the fuck on and worry about the substantive, hopefully.

Nodin wrote: »
    ....to cop the fuck on and worry about the substantive, hopefully.

Not wanting to say yeay or nay to smoking pot, so let's leave that aside. All I was trying to say is that I sure would want to know what 'independents' She's talking to before commiting my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Current shower will get in but possibly a minority government/with help of Independents..Expect a good showing from FF and SF..
    I might add that the current shower are better than the previous shower..Drop Hogan,Reilly,Howlin from Ministerial Positions hopefully..
    Fianna Fail to get back in power in the election after next

Tssk wrote: »
    Current shower will get in but possibly a minority government/with help of Independents..Expect a good showing from FF and SF..
    I might add that the current shower are better than the previous shower..Drop Hogan,Reilly,Howlin from Ministerial Positions hopefully..
    Fianna Fail to get back in power in the election after next

While I would tend to agree on FG, can't see labour getting back in at all. IMO, they rae doomed to go the way of the PD's & the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Labour would be crazy to go into another government with FG, they will get a thumping at the next election but it would be nothing compared to the annihilation they would receive if they went into government with them again, it would be a PD/Greens situation all over again. My guess is FG/FF, neither is going to touch SF for a few years yet and I don't think FF or FG will get enough to go it alone. The only other possibility I think would be some grand coalition of the left with SF at the head but I'd say that would be unlikely.
    IF that's the case ( and I'm not saying You are lying here OC), then can someone answer me this: HOW can a MODERATOR act imapartially and at the same time, have a view so directed to one end of an argument or the other?

This just NOT fair.

He mods forums completely unrelated to politics, or perhaps you think being of a certain political persuasion is going to effect his ability to moderate the Half Life forums? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Ah Labour won't go extinct but it is gonna be a bloodbath for them.. Would like to see Gilmore,Rabbitte,Quinn shuffled into retirement sooner rather than later

Tssk wrote: »
    Ah Labour won't go extinct but it is gonna be a bloodbath for them.. Would like to see Gilmore,Rabbitte,Quinn shuffled into retirement sooner rather than later

...its a cyclical thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I've voted in all the elections since 1977 and, nailing my colours to the mast, I usually give Labour my number 1 preference.

I can see Labour being decimated in the next election with many TD's losing their seats. I would not vote for FF as they caused this problem in the first place. Fine Gael will take a bashing too and we may see an increase for SF and independents. I wouldn't vote for SF either as I don't believe they have the capacity/ability to government an independent country, they can operate in the talking shop that is Stormont but not in a real parliament.

I can see a situation after the next election much like the early 1980's when we had a number of short term governments propped up by various independents. It may be that the percentage voting will be small as many people will have lost faith in the political system and not bother voting. I could very well find myself in this category.

It may be that some political party may just get lucky and come into power as the economy starts to turn. This happened to FF in the 1990's after FG/Labour started to get the economy into the initial stages of what became the Celtic Tiger. I wouldn't bet against this situation happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

chughes wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for SF either as I don't believe they have the capacity/ability to government an independent country,

And Labour do? All they can brag about is how they have implemented their interpretation of social liberalism and their program for government....

Which is the Abortion Bill and nothing else.
    chughes wrote: »
    they can operate in the talking shop that is Stormont but not in a real parliament.

So tell us, what is a "real parliament"?

Advertisement