Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will form the next government?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    For anyone who is unaware, Sierra Oscar is a member of Fianna Fáil so any criticism he makes of another opposition party, in this case superficial, false fallacious "assertions" about SF only reveals his and his party's conflict on interest.

It is despicable and dishonest that Sierra Oscar tries to give the impression that he is a non-party affiliated 'floating' voter because he never states it. Look at the Politics forum for example, it is all about how well FF are doing in the polls, why people should support them etc. Not to mention that he was a Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen supporter.

I, like so many others am not a member of any party, but I see the hypocrisy of the SF partionist mentality on a daily basis as they oppose polices in this state while happily implementing them (with their noses in the trough) in the neighbouring juristiction.
    Sad that their mouthpieces resort to the standard SF practice of attacking the individuals who point out their unfitness for government , instead of answering the points raised in a coherent manner.
    SF"never play the ball if you can play the man"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Anyone think FF + FG is a possibility?

About as likely as a joint JPF/PFG offesive against the romans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

I see the hypocrisy of the SF partionist mentality on a daily basis as they oppose polices in this state while happily implementing them (with their noses in the trough) in the neighbouring juristiction.

Such as?

Sad that their mouthpieces resort to the standard SF practice of attacking the individuals who point out their unfitness for government , instead of answering the points raised in a coherent manner.
    I, like so many others am not a member of any party.

Surrrrrrrrrrrrre you're not
    SF "never play the ball if you can play the man"!

Funny you say that, in the Dáil whenever questions relating to socio-economics are posed to Government leaders by Sinn Féin TDs they are deflected with ad-hominems. But that is ok for you right? That only applies to "shinners".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I, like so many others am not a member of any party, but I see the hypocrisy of the SF partionist mentality on a daily basis as they oppose polices in this state while happily implementing them (with their noses in the trough) in the neighbouring juristiction.
    SF"never play the ball if you can play the man"!

What policies are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

He mods forums completely unrelated to politics, or perhaps you think being of a certain political persuasion is going to effect his ability to moderate the Half Life forums? :pac:

What I am saying is that a person who has 'Category Moderator' under their name is opening themselves to accusations with a poster who doesn't agree with their viewpoint. And that surely, IS a contradiction of moderating impartially, yes/no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    What I am saying is that a person who has 'Category Moderator' under their name is opening themselves to accusations with a poster who doesn't agree with their viewpoint. And that surely, IS a contradiction of moderating impartially, yes/no?

Actually I would describe ut as a person who is a cat mod in an unrelated category being the subject of a personalized attacking post.
    Are you suggesting that mods be banned from posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

He's entitled to hold a political affiliation no matter his position on the site. It also has no bearing on anything he moderates. What's the issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I'm forming a new party if anyone is interested.

I have named it AH Partee.

On my agenda is ... hmm I seem to have lost that piece of paper that had all my notes, underlying issues doodles on it..

I'll make a new one up tomorrow, shure it will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

fibonaccii wrote: »
    Aha! This is something ive been meaning to bring up for sometime. The reason college students didn't go mad is because any changes that come into college grants/payments apart from the registration fee is that it will only effect new students ie secondary school children who would not protest.

Cut the back to education allowance and college grant in effect for existing students you would have a major riot on hand, it would start off peaceful but by the 6th can, all hell would brake loose.

At which point any trouble would be written off as drunken students looking for a ruck with authority, they and not the Government would lose popular credibility, countless idiot radio hosts and the SINDO would be asking why Joe Taxpayer is asked to fund such ruffians at all, and the cuts would happen regardless - in fact probably easier than it would have been without the riot.

This is just the way it works in this country I fear - I may not like it and others may not like it, but most of the time protest in Ireland achieves at best jack sh*t and at worst a complete backfire on its original aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

FG + DUP

• Advertisement

He's entitled to hold a political affiliation no matter his position on the site. It also has no bearing on anything he moderates. What's the issue here?

Nobody is denying anyone a political affiliation. Where did I say he/she can't?

And Labour do? All they can brag about is how they have implemented their interpretation of social liberalism and their program for government....

Which is the Abortion Bill and nothing else.

Jesus, I'm no huge fan of Labour (did vote for them last time though - full disclosure. Next time I'll be going indo I think) but does every thread involving SF need to be invaded by the mindless Shinnerbot drones attacking randomly? It's the same in p.ie and it's as annoying as the Hasbara drones that come in every time something bad that Israel has done is mentioned.

Dear SFRY members - mindless, repetitive and aggressive internet shilling of your party during online discussions actually turns most people off considering giving them the vote.

As for Labour, not that I think they have done particularly "well" in this Government so far, I'm not sure their reversal of the Minimum Wage changes by the previous government at the end of their term really counts as the implementation of a socially liberal programme alone.

It was probably the best thing they have done since entering Government - another reason why their subsequent performance has been so diappointing, but the point remains still

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Jesus, I'm no huge fan of Labour (did vote for them last time though - full disclosure. Next time I'll be going indo I think) but does every thread involving SF need to be invaded by the mindless Shinnerbot drones attacking randomly? It's the same in p.ie and it's as annoying as the Hasbara drones that come in every time something bad that Israel has done is mentioned.

Dear SFRY members - mindless, repetitive and aggressive internet shilling of your party during online discussions actually turns most people off considering giving them the vote.

As for Labour, not that I think they have done particularly "well" in this Government so far, I'm not sure their reversal of the Minimum Wage changes by the previous government at the end of their term really counts as the implementation of a socially liberal programme alone.

It was probably the best thing they have done since entering Government - another reason why their subsequent performance has been so diappointing, but the point remains still

Labour, the 'party' who are led by a man who stabbed one of his own in the back and supported a FG MOH over Her? A man who drove up to Ballyfermott in a BMW while the country was in meltdown? Has a 'minister' who publicly admitted on tv that he lied to get into power? Who lied through their asses to get into power?

PLease, I always voted for them up to now. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HOW can a MODERATOR act imapartially and at the same time, have a view so directed to one end of an argument or the other?

This just NOT fair.
    What the f**k are you on about? Sierra Oscar is the mod of Half-Life & Games.
    And that surely, IS a contradiction of moderating impartially, yes/no?
    No. When he is not in the forum he mods, he is just a normal user. You really do have a chip on the shoulder against mods, don't you?

=-=

OCorcrainn; you seem to think that everyone is a part of some party or other, so what party do you supposrt? Personally, I support most of what FG stands for, but also a smattering of FF's ideas, and maybe one or two or Labours. I stopped supporting SF a long time ago (over a decade ago).

Dinner now, but I'll be back about SF later.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Labour are dead men walking but I cannot understand how FG are still quite high in the opinion polls. Leaving aside the austerity measures, tax dodging T.D.s and many broken promises, there is one issue that must stick in the throats of the traditional FG supports and that is the abortion legislation.

One would imagine that being repeatedly told before the last election that FG would not introduce abortion on demand and then seeing their elected representatives being too cowardly to stand up to the party whip and do just that would leave many of these people wondering what they should do the next time. Yet, the opinion polls don’t seem to reflect any great loss of the core FG voters.

Is the Euro in the pocket the only thing that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

solas111 wrote: »
    Labour are dead men walking but I cannot understand how FG are still quite high in the opinion polls. Leaving aside the austerity measures, tax dodging T.D.s and many broken promises, there is one issue that must stick in the throats of the traditional FG supports and that is the abortion legislation.

One would imagine that being repeatedly told before the last election that FG would not introduce abortion on demand and then seeing their elected representatives being too cowardly to stand up to the party whip and do just that would leave many of these people wondering what they should do the next time. Yet, the opinion polls don’t seem to reflect any great loss of the core FG voters.

Sorry, when was "Abortion on Demand" introduced?

I must have missed that...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Seems as alien disclosure is coming near. Aliens, aliens will form the next government

Labour, the 'party' who are led by a man who stabbed one of his own in the back and supported a FG MOH over Her? A man who drove up to Ballyfermott in a BMW while the country was in meltdown? Has a 'minister' who publicly admitted on tv that he lied to get into power? Who lied through their asses to get into power?

PLease, I always voted for them up to now. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

You might want to direct the above demented tirade to the Labour Party as opposed to me - although I do find it funny that all it takes is the mere mention of the words "Labour Party" in any thread or comment discussion for some obviously naieve soul who voted for them expecting a magic wand to be waved and for everything to be as it was immediately to chime in with a completely off-topic "ARRRRRG IHATELABOUR" post like the one quoted.

Labour have been disappointing to be sure, but I find it hilarious the ratio of anger and blame they seem to be getting for everything that goes wrong as opposed to the share of praise they get when they do something right. It tells me that their communications strategy is completely off for one. It also tells me that their current situation is completely of their own making for failing to learn the lesson of what happens to junior coalition parties in this country - they get about 10% of the power and 90% of the blame.

With that said I doubt they will go "the way of the greens/PD's" per se - they'll get a hammering and probably go back to somewhere around what they were on before GE2011 (about 8 - 11 seats). They will have completely failed to capitalize on the best chance they ever had to remould Irish politics beyond the civil war bull we've had for way too long now (and probably won't get a similar chance again for a long, long time), but they won't be destroyed either.

You also might want to have a look at what Pat Rabbitte actually said in the incident you are referring to - it amazes me how many people willfully or otherwise misrepresent that exchange.

Inb4someonesays"frankfurtsway"
    solas111 wrote: »

When did that happen? Did I miss something?

• Site Banned Posts: 8 doug_the_head

while id never ever vote for them , I think people ( who lean that way ) should be pretty happy with labour , they got fine gael to agree to abortion changes , kept the public sector ( their base ) sweet with a new deal - haddington road agreement and social welfare is still very high

I put the dissatisfaction with labour down to typical liberal flakiness , their deluded enough to believe labour in government should have meant no pain for anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't think it makes a difference who we vote for, none of them will keep their promises.

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't think it makes a difference who we vote for, none of them will keep their promises.

Welcome to modern politics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Welcome to modern politics

It's only a symptom of modern politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Which Irish political party would you like to see in a new government?

Whichever one most annoys the "Northern Ireland is foreign country" crowd of Brutonite oddballs that still doesn't know the difference between the word 'state' and the word 'country'. Not to mention refuses to accept the expressed wish of 94% of the voters of this state which unequivocally accepted in the GFA referendum in 1998 that somebody born in Belfast has a right to be Irish by virtue of that place of birth, in precisely the same way as a person born in Cork has the same right to Irishness.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Whichever one most annoys the "Northern Ireland is foreign country" crowd of Brutonite oddballs that still doesn't know the difference between the word 'state' and the word 'country'. Not to mention refuses to accept the expressed wish of 94% of the voters of this state which unequivocally accepted in the GFA referendum in 1998 that somebody born in Belfast has a right to be Irish by virtue of that place of birth, in precisely the same way as a person born in Cork has the same right to Irishness.

No disrespect to anyone here, but this country has much BIGGER problems that what passport someone born in the North is entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

this country has much BIGGER problems that what passport someone born in the North is entitled to.

Like the nationally vital issue of the goings-on of a certain pot-smoking TD? Or what car a politician drove in Ballyer? Or the views of a largely insignificant backbench female Labour TD in Dublin? Perhaps we could all have this list of what, precisely, are the "much BIGGER problems" in your view so that we know exactly what to focus on to your satisfaction.

Like the nationally vital issue of the goings-on of a certain pot-smoking TD? Or what car a politician drove in Ballyer? Or the views of a largely insignificant backbench female Labour TD in Dublin? Perhaps we could all have this list of what, precisely, are the "much BIGGER problems" in your view so that we know exactly what to focus on to your satisfaction.

So, now we resot to taking my comments from other threads to make a point??? I'll step away from this thread altogether. Not interested in this mud throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Honestly does it really matter regardless of who gets 'voted' in. More than likely Fine Gael will get a second term with some independents to prop up numbers then after that fine fail then Labour will build back up prob go into power with fianna fail. Look back through history and you will see the next governments to come

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Perhaps we could all have this list of what, precisely, are the "much BIGGER problems" in your view so that we know exactly what to focus on to your satisfaction.

"The economy, stupid"
    - Bill Clinton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Whichever one most annoys the "Northern Ireland is foreign country" crowd of Brutonite oddballs that still doesn't know the difference between the word 'state' and the word 'country'.
    Your definition of 'country' isn't necessarily the correct one.
    somebody born in Belfast has a right to be Irish by virtue of that place of birth, in precisely the same way as a person born in Cork has the same right to Irishness.

They are both Irish, but the GFA didn't change anything in that respect. You are confusing 'being Irish' with 'being an Irish citizen'.

Someone born in Cork is an Irish citizen automatically by their place of birth (unless they don't qualify due to being the child of immigrants). Someone born in Belfast has the right to be an Irish Citizen. They are not automatically one, although they will not be refused citizenship. There is a difference.

Advertisement