Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    I know the old guy very well in the shop in talbot street.
    I'm probably his most frequent and
    Hated customer.

He won't pay more than a euro or two or less a game.Values it by amazon and puts a 10-20 price mark on it.

He under values store credit and I brought him in a few stuff and he told me he wouldn't be able to sell it but if he did he'd throw me a game then he sold it within a week and never mentioned it.

I usually go in and make offers
    On what I want Like his sega mega drive games
    Are 10-15
    I asked would he do 3 for 20
    He said he'd do 3 for 25
    I asked would he do 4 for 30
    So I picked up
    Ghouls and ghosts
    World of illusion
    Castle of illusion
    Street fighter 2

So I'd end up paying half of what eBay charges.But he probably paid 4-8 euro for them.

Me and my friend used to track down
    People selling their old games or go into markets/charity shops.

We used to keep the ones we want,Sell/trade.the good ones we didn't and give him the bad ones..To use as credit and he'd make the prices higher so we'd end up paying retail and giving it to him for free.So I start haggling and making offers.

He used to recheck the prices of the games to make sure he didnt underprice and he would refuse to sell if he did depending on the customer.

So don't feel bad about making offers
    Because he does the same with trade ins.
    When you walk in haggle and bundle stuff and make him offers.

I'm going in Thursday to game hunt send me a pm if you want to tag along : ) pm me if your interested

Lol there retarded/mean there, tryed to trade in 10 games there to get rule of rose, they offered me a 10er for 3 and nutting for the rest said they give 1/3 there value, they were selling them there for 15-20 each told them to beep off 15e would be 33%, another time I went in and picked 8-10, games total was 168,asked for there best price, they said they would do 160, walked away...could of done s 10er a pop and made 50-70 instead of losing out on the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »

You know I bet there's a few copies of that on the tops shelves of Xtravision storage shelves all over the country.
    When I worked there, loads of that stuff was gathering dust in most shops. If only I knew then what I know now, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You know I bet there's a few copies of that on the tops shelves of Xtravision storage shelves all over the country.
    When I worked there, loads of that stuff was gathering dust in most shops. If only I knew then what I know now, eh?

get a job there for a week, hunt them down on your breaks, then buy em xD, profit xD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Neo Geo Pocket is by far the easiest full collection you can get. The rarest games won't set you back more than 80 euros. Even the virtual boy has a few games that will set you back more than a grand.

I will second Retro's choice as you can get most handy enough, clamshells are more expensive but packaging is nicer. Cotton, Evolution, GalFighters aren't cheap but Pocket Reversi can go for silly money for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Im gonna give you all a tip.Buy that game and watch Nintendo Ds game off Club Nintendo..Imagine how hard it will
    be get in 10 years if anyone wants a fullset..It will be a very valuable game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    Im gonna give you all a tip.Buy that game and watch Nintendo Ds game off Club Nintendo..Imagine how hard it will
    be get in 10 years if anyone wants a fullset..It will be a very valuable game

I was happier to have bought the Game & Watch from Club Nintendo!

Oddly though they don't seem to be regarded as rare, fetching reasonable prices online, as do the G&W DS collections.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got it on ebay for about a tenner. It might be the US version but it's not rare at all.

Got it on ebay for about a tenner. It might be the US version but it's not rare at all.

It's not expensive you mean.Its probably the lowest printed Nintendo Ds game since its a club Nintendo exclusive.

In 5-10 years prices will shoot up when
    It's no longer available on club Nintendo

Flinstones 2,Clayfighter Sculptors Cut etc were probably inexpensive in their day.Trust me on this

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Region variation though? Maybe the PAL version will be desirable?

Simple variations can make you a lot of money.

Worth about a tenner

genesis-world-championship-soccer-2_front.jpg

Worth €700-€1000

mdu2z023.jpg

• Advertisement

The pal version will be harder to get than the US version in the future because it seems like More Americans are using Club Nintendo and claiming that prize.

I see it being like Rule of Rose Italian/French versions are hard to get and expensive but The UK/Irish version is the rarest variation to get and most expensive even tho all versions play the same.The only major difference being the description in the back being in English.

The print run of the pal game and watch collection ds game must be the lowest printed game.I only know of one other which might be lower it had a limited number of 2000 copy's but Im not sure if its official and its still for sale after their kickstarter through the developers website.

Ill find the website and the name of the game and post it here tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's quite a lot of the Game and Watch games it seems. Sure the previous japanese club nintendo exclusives go for a pretty penny but people have cottoned on and there's plenty of them to go around. If it really was rare I'd expect it to be sold out since it's been on sale for ages.

There's far more likely candidates for low print run DS games.

Game and Watch Collection 2 PAL might be rare though since it only got an aussie release on their club nintnedo in PAL flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Most of the catalogue from Club Nintendo seems to be available on ebay for reasonable amounts, as Retr0 said it's the items limited to markets that will be worth something, like my Famicom controller II faceplate for the GB Micro.... mmmmmm, nice....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most of the catalogue from Club Nintendo seems to be available on ebay for reasonable amounts, as Retr0 said it's the items limited to markets that will be worth something, like my Famicom controller II faceplate for the GB Micro.... mmmmmm, nice....

It's affordable right now.
    But the rarity of those games are
    Probably a lot higher than the low print run RPGs because there is less made.

In 5-10 years when that reward is taken down more of these games will be taken
    Out of circulation due to being destroyed or being in collectors hands who will not sell.

Flinstones 2 the NTSC version in its day went for 4-10 dollars used in GameStop when blockbuster sold off all their nes games from what I heard.

But now its blown up due to low print run.

I'm sure the game and watch ds game is less than this.I never see it in shops and never see it very often in collections online.and on eBay the pal version rakes in abit more cash and their is very little of them compared to the US version.Its has a high star amount for you to get up to claim.

Trust me if anyone doesn't have it get it because I see it being a valuable piece in the future.

Well, I have to disagree.
    One of the great and interesting pursuits is what is going to be worth what in years to come.
    For example I had a copy of Tempest 3000 when I owned a Nuon, a rare game as it's on a rare system, but it only cost around €40 or €50 to buy.

Wii games are ten a penny and everyone can cite the likes of Metroid Trilogy as a limited run game that is now worth a few bob.

The Nintendo Club games are readily available, and many collectors are probably doing what you have suggested, but this means, logging onto ebay, you can find plenty of them.
    Region limited stuff like the Au only follow up is an fine example of the rarer more valuable items and, yes, if you find one buy it.

Rule of Rose?
    I have it in my collection.
    There wasn't a GB/Irl version, never released here.
    The european version that's readily available is a little more expensive but is the edition that we would have gotten had it been released here, the only difference are some ratings labels and the language of the instruction manual.

It depends on supply and demand more than rarity. If people want it the price will go up. The PS1 Final Fantasy games go for silly money considering they are some of the best selling games of all time.

Wouldn't say there's a huge amount of Shrek Smash and Crash out there but no one wants it because it sucks, yet it was one of the final releases on the PS2

Master of the Universe

It depends which consoles are popular to get complete collections for. The NES is one of them, so it's why you see crap titles going for stupid money. The Snes and the Megadrive have gone that way too. (moreso the Snes)

Who knows which console it will be in the future. I would imagine the DS will be up there as it's almost the Snes of the previous gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Worth €700-€1000

mdu2z023.jpg

Used to own this. Gutted now I sold all but 4 of my Megadrive games to fund my first PS1.

Master of the Universe

Ste- wrote: »
    Used to own this. Gutted now I sold all but 4 of my Megadrive games to fund my first PS1.

Oh ****! You definitely had the blue cover version and not this one?

_-World-Championship-Soccer-2-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

The blue cover version is probably the rarest Megadrive game. There are less than a handful known to exist.

The 'Classics' version is nowhere near as rare (only worth about €15-€20)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Oh ****! You definitely had the blue cover version and not this one?

_-World-Championship-Soccer-2-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

The blue cover version is probably the rarest Megadrive game. There are less than a handful known to exist.

The 'Classics' version is nowhere near as rare (only worth about €15-€20)

If memory serves correct I had the brown one. Crisis averted. Phhheeeewwwww

I don't like folk collecting for investment, it means people who want to play them are going without because of it.

And sneaky repro sellers should be dragged onto the street and beaten with hammers though.

Master of the Universe

Collecting anything for 100% investment is a bit crap really - however if you collect something for the love of it, then in many cases it has a nice side effect of being an investment too.

There are definitely things in my collection which were bought because they're rare and collectible. I do like collecting rare things - don't know if it's because I like the idea that they're an investment or what, but it's just something I do!

Repro makers are a scourge, they've turned collecting rare Megadrive games into a minefield. Thankfully I can discern pretty quickly if something is a repro, however I feel sorry for the folks who fell for it.

Earthbound is another one that's really tricky to get these days because of this. Lots of folk think they have a 100% original US cart but it's in fact a repro with a Tsop adapter inside (kind of like our translated Japanese ones, but created for nefarious purposes!)

I don't like folk collecting for investment, it means people who want to play them are going without because of it.

What happened to buying a game just because you want to play it and not what it will be worth in ten years time. I'm guilty of buying games sometimes that I know I will struggle to find time to play, but hope to play when I have the time available. Don't see the point of having a load of games that I gave good money for, that I have no intention of playing just to complete a set, lifes too short and time is too precious.;)

Earthbound is another one that's really tricky to get these days because of this. Lots of folk think they have a 100% original US cart but it's in fact a repro with a Tsop adapter inside (kind of like our translated Japanese ones, but created for nefarious purposes!)

It's just like adding subtitles plus you get better box art.

Master of the Universe

Monkeykube wrote: »

Nothing wrong with our ones at all as they weren't built to deceive people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Monkeykube wrote: »

The difference being I charged €25 quid to transform carts you all bought yourselves. I didn't buy up a load of us carts, print labels & charge €300 for them

EnterNow wrote: »
    The difference being I charged €25 quid to transform carts you all bought yourselves. I didn't buy up a load of us carts, print labels & charge €300 for them

And for that both I and my wallet thank you!

Well, I have to disagree.
    One of the great and interesting pursuits is what is going to be worth what in years to come.
    For example I had a copy of Tempest 3000 when I owned a Nuon, a rare game as it's on a rare system, but it only cost around €40 or €50 to buy.

Wii games are ten a penny and everyone can cite the likes of Metroid Trilogy as a limited run game that is now worth a few bob.

The Nintendo Club games are readily available, and many collectors are probably doing what you have suggested, but this means, logging onto ebay, you can find plenty of them.
    Region limited stuff like the Au only follow up is an fine example of the rarer more valuable items and, yes, if you find one buy it.

Rule of Rose?
    I have it in my collection.
    There wasn't a GB/Irl version, never released here.
    The european version that's readily available is a little more expensive but is the edition that we would have gotten had it been released here, the only difference are some ratings labels and the language of the instruction manual.

There was a great britan/Irish version of rule of rose.It hit shielfs and was recalled instantly almost.People have got their hands on it.look up dr retro aka psxcollecting videos or thread on his website playstationcollecting.com about it.

Flinstones 2 was released here and in the US and it was an exclusive and its an incredibly rare game in both regions.
    Little Samson was also released over here and the us.So was stadium events and all the NTSC versions are very expensive

Nobody really can tell how much it will rise in value in the future because I know of a handful of games that are extremely hard to get but are affordable because people don't know it's rarity and they aren't saught after.

It's just an awesome piece to own regardless if its price rises but itsmost likely one of the rarest ds games.
    Rare as in there's less printed copy's
    Of this title than any other ds game.

Also I play all my games unless they are sealed.I would never sell but the value increase of my collection is an exciting part of collecting.I even play the bad ones.

I also don't mind people buying games for its history or value or because it would be a nice conversation piece in their collection and not playing it.Because certain people see game collecting as preserving gaming history.

• Advertisement

Also isn't it at 5000 stars ? Isn't that like for every 25 games you get you can claim one copy so it makes it quite hard to stock up on these.Im sure the print run is a lot lower than metroid prime trilogy

Advertisement