Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Hey I just want to clarify.I havent just started my PS1 collection.
    Im aware of all these titles.I try to get my games for the cheapest
    as I can get so I usually resort to bids on ebay,Forums,used video game stores.

Vagrant Story I got for 10 euro on bid.
    Suikoden 1 and 2 is expensive but its lower down on the list of rare games But ill be getting both in the next few months.
    There are many on ebay and they show up on adverts quite alot.

Im collecting.At the moment Im chasing after games that show up on ebay
    once every 6 months and had to search 30 pages of google to find people
    willing to sell a copy to me.Like Grand theft auto Australian exclusive,
    Blues clues Blues Big Musical.( most likely a **** game but try track this down because its almost impossible) None on ebay or amazon,I had to search forums,forums and more forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2 should be higher on your list. Hands down the best RPG on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Suikoden 2 should be higher on your list. Hands down the best RPG on the system.

3rk5z1.jpg

Im following Playstationcollecting.com's list.
    The owner of the site has a video showing
    the truely rarest games on the system
    meaning Im basically picking up the games
    with the lowest print run/games sold.Then
    picking up the ones I used to own as a kid that I dont own yet.

suiduken 1 and 2 is easier to get than some titles Im hunting down
    as there is always copys on ebay even if there expensive.I have 2 more games to get then ill get to them along with Strider 2 which ill watch bids to get for a decent price :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

This shows the highest selling games on the system and it shows games like Legend of Dragoon,Final Fantasy 7 are actually more common than youd think.I have most of these anyway because there great games :)

Anyway man Ill take your word on it being the best RPG on the sytem.I cant wait to play it ! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well good luck to you and your endeavor.
    Not sure I'd be disciplined enough to follow a plan with regard to retro buying though.
    Also, I wonder if the fanboys over on the PlayStation forum would be interested in your quest?
    Also, anyone got any idea when it's going to be safe to discuss collecting for the PS2?
    Coldwinter FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    This shows the highest selling games on the system and it shows games like Legend of Dragoon,Final Fantasy 7 are actually more common than youd think.I have most of these anyway because there great games :)

Those two always baffle me. FFVII is the second best selling game of all time on the PS1 so hardly rare and Legend of Dragoon isn't rare either but even more baffling is that people actually like it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    3rk5z1.jpg

Get out of here, it's not even the best FF!

If your RPG doesn't have Luca Blight then it's not beating Suikoden 2 :P

Final Fantasy 7 is over rated even its character models were terrible for its time.But its still iconic and not neccesarily a bad game.I like it alot even tho it has its flaws.

My favorites are 4 ( Also Known as 2 ) It has a great port on the PSP and Nintendo DS.Cecil is an amazing Character.

9 went back to its fantasy roots and you didnt have to deal with annoying characters like Cloud or Squall.

Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core..now thats a different story.Probally one of the best PSP titles.

Master of the Universe

You liked FF XIII, your argument is automatically invalid :P

I've been meaning to play Suikoden 2 for absolutely years, but never got around to it. Kind of annoying as I was looking for a good RPG to play but literally just bought Fire Emblem for the 3DS.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You liked FF XIII, your argument is automatically invalid :P

I've been meaning to play Suikoden 2 for absolutely years, but never got around to it. Kind of annoying as I was looking for a good RPG to play but literally just bought Fire Emblem for the 3DS.

I liked 7 and 8 Just Cloud and Squall..how I hate them...Final Fantasy 7 Kind of created the whole..pretty boy feminine male protagonist thing.

9 reminded me of the older ones and I think is probally the best on the ps1 and looks the best in my opinion anyway

Iam a big Dragon Quest fan so that is probally why I prefer that style of gameplay :)

( Im just editing this now,I taught you said Final Fantasy 9 til I rechecked the numerals.and you were addressing RetrOgamer
    liking Final Fantasy 13,Yeah if anybody like that game their arguement is invalid lol)

• Advertisement

FFXIII is pretty poor but not a total disaster. The battle system is one of the best for any system. It's just tied to quite a dull game that I couldn't play for more than 2 hours at a time.

FFXIII is pretty poor but not a total disaster. The battle system is one of the best for any system. It's just tied to quite a dull game that I couldn't play for more than 2 hours at a time.

The difficulty level is uneven.I couldnt beat a character who resembled the pope on disc two and every tutorial/tips I used wouldnt work to beat him.
    Sometimes Id nearly beat him.

Then I found out months later even tho I was grinding alot the whole game that I would need to grind atleast 3 hours more to be powerful enough to beat him.

Then the first 20 hours is a tutorial and theres a cutscene every few steps.
    I liked the characters and didnt mind the cutscenes But it had too many flaws.

I wouldnt call it bad tho.Its uneven and broken game that had potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Surely you have to get your hands on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If he's going for a complete set one would suppose so.

The difficulty level is uneven.I couldnt beat a character who resembled the pope on disc two and every tutorial/tips I used wouldnt work to beat him.
    Sometimes Id nearly beat him.

Then I found out months later even tho I was grinding alot the whole game that I would need to grind atleast 3 hours more to be powerful enough to beat him.

Then the first 20 hours is a tutorial and theres a cutscene every few steps.
    I liked the characters and didnt mind the cutscenes But it had too many flaws.

I wouldnt call it bad tho.Its uneven and broken game that had potential.

Didn't find the need to grind in that game at all? If you were avoiding battles in that area then you probably screwed yourself over but I found before you hit pulse you capped out well before you hit the end of a level. If you have the right tactics you can beat anything. Also I find FAQs over state what level you need to be at to beat sections.

I think anyone who has a ps1 should get their hands on crash and Spyro.
    But yeah I have most of them.Trying to get black label only tho.

Didn't find the need to grind in that game at all? If you were avoiding battles in that area then you probably screwed yourself over but I found before you hit pulse you capped out well before you hit the end of a level. If you have the right tactics you can beat anything. Also I find FAQs over state what level you need to be at to beat sections.

Thats weird...I was grinding alot in the game.
    I remember when you saved it respawned enemys
    and id kill them over and over to build stats.

If you know the battle system you can kill all enemys up to that point.
    If I was lucky and had alot of health potions I could get that boss down to a low level of life but he would always kill me.

Then I found out from a youtuber who had the same problem.
    If your not leveled up enough by the time you face him its impossible
    to kill him even if your good using the battle system.So you would have to kill all the enemys outside of were you face him,save and repeat.

so you must have been grinding quite abit all the way through the game that you were strong enough to defeat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I'm going for PS1 add ons myself and special memory cards.

Recently got a PS1 mini screen, that I never knew existed, tis cool ^_^

I only bother with the games I like really, and don't care about cases so yeah ..not real value in that sense XD ..
    Which is a good thing cause I'm poor :pac:

so you must have been grinding quite abit all the way through the game that you were strong enough to defeat him.

No I wasn't at all. I just explored everywhere and didn't avoid any fights. I remember him being a tough fight but it was just a case of switching to sentinels before his big attacks and healing up after it. It was just tactics to beat him.

There's actually no point to levelling up before you get to Pulse because areas have level caps where you get **** all exp once you reach that cap and you usually max out the crystarium branches well before you finish an area.

Then again I'm quite good at RPGs, I usually finish them well below the levels most faq writers recommend.

No I wasn't at all. I just explored everywhere and didn't avoid any fights. I remember him being a tough fight but it was just a case of switching to sentinels before his big attacks and healing up after it. It was just tactics to beat him.

There's actually no point to levelling up before you get to Pulse because areas have level caps where you get **** all exp once you reach that cap and you usually max out the crystarium branches well before you finish an area.

Then again I'm quite good at RPGs, I usually finish them well below the levels most faq writers recommend.

Thats exactly what I did and what the guides specified to do.
    I did that perfectly over and over.All I mostly play is jrpgs.

I think our team was different.I was using Fang,Lightning and Hope.
    For that strategy to work that you used its optimised with vanille,Hope
    and Lightning.Because Vanille and Hope are better healers.So even tho I changed to sentinal during his attacks he would kill Hope very easily.Were as if I had Vanille she would have been able to keep him alive.

So either way my game was messed up because I changed vanille back in and she was too under powered because I had not leveled her up at all.
    So I could have swapped her back in and grinded or kept grinding with fang and the original team I was using and leveled enough to just about beat him hopefully. I just stopped playing because the game wasnt that good and I didnt want to grind because the game didnt favor fang.

Ill try track down the video that goes into detail how the game is uneven and it talks about that boss battle.

• Advertisement

So what I'm getting is that you didn't level certain characters. To be honest if you only concentrate on certain characters in RPGs and ignore others then you are asking for trouble. It's ok to do it in something like FFVII where all the characters are blank slates but in a game where all characters have different abilities you are going to end up in trouble if you don't level them all up equally.

You might think you are breaking an RPG by concentrating on levelling only specific characters but at the stage you were at your characters would have been the same level as mine because of the levelling cap. Even with hours of grinding you'd it wouldn't change your level significantly.

If you did want to level vanille it would take only a few minutes because the level cap also facilitates levelling weak characters extremely fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Came across this thread by pure chance and decided to google that Blues Clues game as I couldn't believe a game like that would be so rare!

Just posting this in case it's any use to ya!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blues-Clues-Blues-Big-Musical-PlayStation-complete-/370217270168

Thats the NTSC version.
    Its common overe there but thanks :)

@RetrOgamer
    In Final Fantasy 13 you can change your party.
    You can only have three at a time.
    I had Fang,Lightning and Hope
    All of which I had been Grinding with because all three get experience
    when you win a battle.I never singled out leveling one character.I was grinding and leveling all three.
    To defeat that boss you need Vanille,Lightning and Hope.

So I had to swap out Fang for Vanille and Grind because she
    was never leveled up because she was never intended to be in my party.
    She would get killed very often and it got irratating.
    It probally is possibly to win with fang but they need to be maxed(I wasnt but I was like close) and
    you need to fight him time after time because the only time you can beat him
    is when he dosent cast doom( knocks you over and leaves you with half life) which never happened in the 30 plus times
    I fought him and even used the guide.Its extremely hard to beat him with that line up.
    I gave up on the game because it had a 20 hour linear tutorial and because it scrutinsed me
    because I didnt pick a team of three characters the game favored.Hes alot easier to beat with vanille

I mainly play jrpg games Like Dragon Quest,Final Fantasy,Persona/shin megami tensei,Dark souls/demon souls,Eternal Sonata,
    Golden Sun,Pokemon and I level up equally,I even focus on weaker people in my party and grind/back track to level them up to be on par with my other members.

Yep you were playing the game totally wrong. You need to level every character in that game. Only concentrating on 3 party members is a false economy. By the end of each section a party concentrating on only 3 main characters will be the exact same level as party that concentrated on levelling all characters because of the level cap. The level cap will give low level characters more XP while high level ones get less meaning you will always reach a point were the amount of XP you get from battle is so low that it's not worth grinding.

The only other thing I can think of that you are doing wrong is not status buffing your characters. Keeping your characters buffed with shell, protect and haste is hugely important in FFXIII and you'll get no where in the late game without them.

The official guides are usually crap for RPGs, game faqs is much better. I didn't have too much trouble on that boss, took a long time to take down but once I got the rhythm he went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

just saw this thread, sweet stuff, so want to to get digimon world and dragoon.

this is a list of games I got today, all black label only down side was no manuals but some great games.

Parasite eve 2 (some going to play the hell out of this)
    Time crisis
    Twisted metal world tour
    Silent hill
    Duke nukem
    Fear effect 2
    Driver
    Bloody roar
    Who want to be a millionaire
    Formula 1 97
    Tekken 2
    Resident evil survivor
    Nightmare creatures
    Soul blade
    Fight force

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Flaregon wrote: »
    just saw this thread, sweet stuff, so want to to get digimon world and dragoon.

this is a list of games I got today, all black label only down side was no manuals but some great games.

Parasite eve 2 (some going to play the hell out of this)
    Time crisis
    Twisted metal world tour
    Silent hill
    Duke nukem
    Fear effect 2
    Driver
    Bloody roar
    Who want to be a millionaire
    Formula 1 97
    Tekken 2
    Resident evil survivor
    Nightmare creatures
    Soul blade
    Fight force

bought Driver a few years ago for 99p after playing the hell out of Driver 2, Driv3r, Parallel Lines and 76. Used to always play Millionaire too, I remember playing it with someone once and they asked "how do you get the money?" lol

Yep you were playing the game totally wrong. You need to level every character in that game. Only concentrating on 3 party members is a false economy. By the end of each section a party concentrating on only 3 main characters will be the exact same level as party that concentrated on levelling all characters because of the level cap. The level cap will give low level characters more XP while high level ones get less meaning you will always reach a point were the amount of XP you get from battle is so low that it's not worth grinding.

The only other thing I can think of that you are doing wrong is not status buffing your characters. Keeping your characters buffed with shell, protect and haste is hugely important in FFXIII and you'll get no where in the late game without them.

The official guides are usually crap for RPGs, game faqs is much better. I didn't have too much trouble on that boss, took a long time to take down but once I got the rhythm he went down.

Having to level 6 characters is tedious.Thats why its known as being the worst final fantasy game.All the others you just level up 3 characters and thats it and there all in your party.No leveling up characters not in your party.

I did status buff and even had a friend over he beat the game in all japanese before it came out and without a guide and she couldnt get past it and shes the one who sent me the game faq thread and video of people with the same problem and then I knew how to beat him but I didnt want to play it anymore.

We can agree to disagree man and end the ff13 debate,you enjoyed it and got your moneys worth and thats all that matters :),I just didnt like the game.

Master of the Universe

We can agree to disagree man and end the ff13 debate

Hear, hear.

The only discussion of FF XIII which should exist is one around how **** it is. Truly awful game. Some of the crappest, most annoying characters in a game ever.

Absolutely hated it. One of those games that does damage to JRPGs, reminds me how stupid and unbearable some of them can be.

• Advertisement

Well I'm just saying you must be doing something very wrong if you are having trouble because I beat the game easily with not grinding at all. As mentioned levelling up all 6 characters actually isn't tedious at all because the game balances out everything for you anyway so there's no need for grinding. Even doing it in older FF games is silly because you can be left in situations without your main party and it also had balances where no grinding is required to keep all characters on an even keel. No point blaming the game because you miss understood the basic mechanics.

Advertisement