Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Options
  • 22-06-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I'm currently going for a full ps1 collection Im getting the rarest first.
    Im starting Pal first then NTSC and Japanese exclusives.

Im gonna use this thread to document on my adventuure to collect every title and post every rare,obsqure,uncommon or expensive game so only the good stuff :)

I recently tracked down a pal copy of hercs adventures,There was none on ebay or amazon,forums etc so after searching I have secured myself a copy and I should have it in two weeks ! :)

feel free to show pictures or discuss your ps1 collection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,557 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just a heads up before you starting buying loads of PAL games!

PAL ps1 games are locked to 50hz. There's no way to display them correctly in 60hz. So they're forever running 17.5% slower than they're meant to and in that dreaded letterbox format.

I built up a collection of over 100 PS1 games and really regret not going straight for NTSC instead from the beginning.

Added bonus - NTSC tend to be cheaper too!

On a side note, the Playstation has one of the biggest games libraries of all time - 2,418. A complete collection would be absolute insanity! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Heres some Title I picked up this month.
    Final Fantasy 7 is as common as they get but its so icon and sought after it still sells for a decent amount.

Legend Of Dragoon you can still find a few copys on ebay but its a very expensive game.Its rare but not as hard to track down
    like Hercs adventures.

Digimon World is an uncommon rpg game that is easy to track down but sells for decent amount due to it being a great
    nostalgic game.

Jinx is an common/uncommon platformer more common than Digimon world but a great platformer ! :)

IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG

Games Im waiting to arrive are.
    Hercs adventures
    Destructo 2

Master of the Universe

By the way, if you're not convinced by the 50/60hz difference - watch this side by side comparison between a Jap and EU version of Ridge Racer.

The EU one is miles behind as it's so much slower. Most of the games are like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd agree with o1s1n, if you are only starting your collection now...getting NTSC would be the way to go. Get the PAL exclusives, & by getting the rest NTSC they can run at the proper speed they were meant to run at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just wait until Retr0 see's that copy of LoD, he'll be so jealous!
    I have a decent PS collection myself, but really I don't see the point in buying every game on the format.
    There were so many lousy games, do you really need all those Army Men games in your life?
    But, sure everyone needs a hobby, so good luck with that.
    I second the NTSC thing.
    Just mod your PS and collect from Japan and the US.
    Easy way to check the region,
    Japanese game= great cover art
    US game= pitiful cover art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Are you collecting to play or collecting to collect? The whole 50/60hz is a moot point then, well until you get to the more expensive pal stuff.

Damn you Nintendo with your poor support of European pal and your flimsy cardboard boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

'How many thousand games would a full PS1 collection be ?

Hey Im aware of the difference between the regions and the quality.arent NTSC games for current games running at a higher hz ?

For some of the better games ill buy the NTSC versions.The Pal ones are just available to me and for cheaper prices and It would cost a bomb collecting only
    NTSC But ill buy in a few lots from the US from time to time and I have a friend who frequently visits Texas who is also a collector.

NTSC games I plan on picking up soon are the Lunar big Box games and the persona games.Im not only starting my ps1 collection I own around 100 titles
    now But I plan on focusing on it more to complete it. :)

I play and collect and games ! :) ill play all the games for abit but ill only complete the good ones,.
    I plan on completing most of the good RPG's on the system ! :)
    I know ill end up with a load of **** games and sports games But Im a completionist,I kinda get that from collecting comics
    and trying to complete runs.

Im gonna collect the good games,The rare games,the expensive games first then ill pick up the ****ty sports titles :D

Master of the Universe

Here's a photo of a complete NTSC US set. The website I found the picture on says it's the only known complete set in the world. I'd imagine that's somewhat out of date - but it echos how hard a set this is to put together - good luck! :)

mini-psx_jewel.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Something worth keeping in mind there too - US PS1 games use thin CD like jewel cases as far as I know. Each little section in that photo holds 28 games. I'd say a PAL collection would take up twice the space.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, here's what 545 PAL ps1 games looks like - quite a difference space wise!

P03606100.jpg

On a side note, imagine the weight those cases at the bottom have on them :eek:

PsxCollecting from Youtube has an almost complete collection.
    Like If I get the rarest ones first it wouldnt be too hard tracking down the other ones because they would be more available it would just take time and money.

The only one Im finding impossible to find is Blues Clues Blues Big Musical Pal version.

Im gonna basically cover my wall in shelfs.Then Ill have a few book cases.Til I can do something like build a dedicated game room out my back.

Master of the Universe

Kealy1994 wrote: »

The only one Im finding impossible to find is Blues Clues Blues Big Musical Pal version.

Cheers for the heads up - that's one game I'd have passed over if I ever saw it in a second hand shop or car boot. Looks to go for decent money.

I don't think it's any good :D But it is one of the rarest ps1 pal games along with Hercs adventures.Destructo 2 you can buy sealed for 20 euro because its not very known but it's one of the rarest games and it was incredibly hard to find but there was a factory found with some in Germany so there's a few on ebay for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Legend of Dragoon :O

Burn that piece of ****!!!!

I got a decent deal on it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Jack burton

is there a HDD drive mod for the PS1?

Master of the Universe

is there a HDD drive mod for the PS1?

I remember reading that some lad was making an SD card solution via the expansion port - didnt go into production though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah crap. Would be dead handy for playing some 60HZ goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That PSIO is still a work in progress

http://www.psio.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That PSIO is still a work in progress

http://www.psio.com.au/

They'd dramatically improved the loading time it seems too, interesting. The first video I seen of it, games were taking over a minute to just boot up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey kealy

Curious to know a few things,

Is there a complete list out there so you know what you're working towards?
    Do you have a timeframe in mind to complete to task?
    Do you have a budget?

Hey kealy

Curious to know a few things,

Is there a complete list out there so you know what you're working towards?
    Do you have a timeframe in mind to complete to task?
    Do you have a budget?

I could be wrong but I heard there's around 1600 titles.Im picking up around 25 titles a month but going rarest/Most expensive first it's costly.So The amount I pick up a month should increase.

Games like Symphany of the night and Legend of Dragoon and similar games are quite expensive and tend to slow down how much you pick up.

So once I have the expensive stuff the amount Im picking up per month will increase and I do play or complete every game I buy if its good.

Within 12 months I should I have close to 1/4th of the ps1 Libary and for a budget.I tend not to spend over 300 a month ever.Most months I won't even spend 100.I can buy a lot of good games off someone online with 20 plus titles for under a hundred easily.

Then the games selling for 50 plus I wait for bids on ebay and I get them a lot cheaper.

I have a list of games Im currently chasing.
    Digimon world 2
    Digimon world 3
    Blues clues.Blues Big Musical.
    NTSC Big boxed Lunar titles
    NTSC Chrono Cross
    Grand theft auto Australian exclusive double feature.
    Some I really want.Others are just so rare Im always on the look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

You should post a picture every now of then of your collection, it will be interesting to watch it grow over the coming months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't pay much for Chrono Cross. Square reprinted it a while ago and you can get boxed copies for around $10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Prepare to pay lots for such great games as Kurushi and Kula World.
    Be careful not to get nailed with high prices for Kurushi Final, it's a stand alone mission pack to the first one and not as valuable.
    Vagrant Story is another cracker to buy, and it's also pricey.
    Happily, I have the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just wait til he goes to buy the Suikoden series.

• Advertisement

Got Suikoden 2 mint for free.

Then again I knew someone that worked for Konami :)

Advertisement