Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Confusing alright. From Setanta's facebook page posted earlier.

265215.jpg
    They changed it back today on there website yesterday they had it listed as Premier Sports
    When you tune into Setanta Sports 1 On the Screen it will say Premier Sports so when you see that don't get confused
    I am watching Setanta Sports 1 right now on the screen its says Premier Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Is it Virgin who also have rights to the Premiership and English Prem Rugby? Or is it BT? Getting confused here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Is it Virgin who also have rights to the Premiership and English Prem Rugby? Or is it BT? Getting confused here.

Bt have partial rights to rhe english premierleague football and full rights to the aviva premiership rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

paulboland wrote: »
    I am watching Setanta Sports 1 right now on the screen its says Premier Sports

Is certain content blocked on that channel, e.g. GAA coverage for the UK?

RoI & NI have Setanta Sports 1 at Sky 424 while Engish regions have Premier Sports at 428.

RoI & NI have Setanta Sports 1 at Sky 424 while Engish regions have Premier Sports at 428.
    That's correct its just the channel still shows up on the screen as Premier Sports on the screen

EPG channel name in Ireland is Setanta Sports 1
    All adds and program announcement mention Premier Sports
    No matter if your in UK or Ireland the Name Premier Sports appears on the Screen
    Up to Yesterday Setanta had the Name Premier Sports listed on Ireland Webpage as available channels on there package
    It was only changed back to Setanta Sports 1 today but its still showing Premier Sports on the Screen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For whatever reason the name change was announced as happening but now it doesn't seem to be - all references to Premier Sports on the website have been removed and reverted to Setanta Sports 1.

There's two reasons why they might have done this. The first and most obvious is branding - they want to enforce their own brand and in a pack where there is already three different channel brands introducing a fourth might just confuse the public more. The other reason is that they might be leaving the door open for Setanta Sports 1 to be restored as a separate service if their new package becomes successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yeah seems to be only GAA really that they block it, they must have Irish/UK rights for the rest. Premier Sports in the UK near the end of last PL season was blocked for a couple of 3pm games when Setanta Ireland was broadcasting another live event. Seems like a ridiculous situation and hopefully they will just relaunch SS1 as premier sports or re-separate the channels with the extra revenue this deal will provide.

Yes as far a I know some gaa matches are blocked in the uk
    but as we live in Ireland would not notice if a Irish programme was blocked

icdg wrote: »
    For whatever reason the name change was announced as happening but now it doesn't seem to be - all references to Premier Sports on the website have been removed and reverted to Setanta Sports 1.

There's two reasons why they might have done this. The first and most obvious is branding - they want to enforce their own brand and in a pack where there is already three different channel brands introducing a fourth might just confuse the public more. The other reason is that they might be leaving the door open for Setanta Sports 1 to be restored as a separate service if their new package becomes successful.
    I think you are bang on here, it looks very bad for programs on Premier Sports to be blocked out in the UK... Do you know what the current financial state of Setanta Sports is as it stands before the partnership with BT?... I know they were struggling but if they don't have major debts then they really could make hay with this new deal... I would expect them to go flat out to capture more and more high profile rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If I have the upc package with espn included, will I have bt sport?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If I have the upc package with espn included, will I have bt sport?
    espn is no longer part of the upc tv packs
    Setanta in Ireland have the rights for Espn Bt Sport 1 Bt Sport2

Were waiting on the information from upc what deal they have done with Setanta

icdg wrote: »

Premier Sports (UK) and Setanta Sports 1 are essentially the same channel then? Looking at their website, its available for £9.99pm in the UK, bar NI. Blocks will continue then for certain programming that can only be shown in one region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

irishfeen wrote: »
    Do you know what the current financial state of Setanta Sports is as it stands before the partnership with BT?... I know they were struggling but if they don't have major debts then they really could make hay with this new deal... .

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-arm-of-setanta-sports-posts-a-14m-loss-for-2011-29461512.html

Premier Sports (UK) and Setanta Sports 1 are essentially the same channel then? Looking at their website, its available for £9.99pm in the UK, bar NI. Blocks will continue then for certain programming that can only be shown in one region?

Yes that's fully correct
    on the screen though its says Premier Sports even though in Ireland the channel name is Setanta Sports 1
    Same Channel just looks crazy if your in Rep of Ireland

Not as bad as I expected... potentially with added subscriptions/improved advertisement revenue the rest of this current year could easily make up for losses on that small scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Thinking of getting one of sky sports or setanta sports for the new season. Does this new deal for Setanta sports swing it in its favour? How much would it cost actually for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

We have the digital max pack from UPC.Was watching the MLS game last night on ESPN no problem but now it gives the ''you are not subscribed to this channel'' message.

Do I have to subscribe to Sky Sports or BT to get ESPN now?pretty ****ty for non premium UPC customers.

closeline wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of sky sports or setanta sports for the new season. Does this new deal for Setanta sports swing it in its favour? How much would it cost actually for both?
    What about only getting Sky Sports 1 and putting the few quid you save doing that to getting the Setanta pack? ... you would get almost all PL games on sky and all of them on Setanta/BT....

Not as bad as I expected... potentially with added subscriptions/improved advertisement revenue the rest of this current year could easily make up for losses on that small scale.

There getting lot of business in the last few days as Sky users in Ireland want to watch Premiership Football games that Espn used to have
    With BT Sport getting the Rights to games and even more from next season
    Football fans in Ireland will have no choice but to subscribe to Setanta

This Deal BT Sport is for 3 Years and Setanta have got the rights for Ireland from BT Sport

Its after the 3 years are up and new deals are made we will have to see
    I expect Setanta are very happy right now and are playing hard ball with UPC to get the Channels

What about only getting Sky Sports 1 and putting the few quid you save doing that to getting the Setanta pack? ... you would get almost all PL games on sky and all of them on Setanta/BT....

I don't think it is possible to get just Sky Sports 1 is it?

• Advertisement

We have the digital max pack from UPC.Was watching the MLS game last night on ESPN no problem but now it gives the ''you are not subscribed to this channel'' message.

Do I have to subscribe to Sky Sports or BT to get ESPN now?pretty ****ty for non premium UPC customers.

From August 1St BT Sports have the rights
    Espn Europe was sold to BT Sport in April
    You Had Espn last night
    From Today you will have to subscribe to Setanta in Ireland as BT Sport have done a Deal with Setanta to broadcast there New Channels and Espn
    Setanta Pack on Sky is €19.99
    Setanta Ireland
    Setanta Sports 1

BT Sport 1
    BT Sport 2
    Espn

HD channels
    BT Sport 1
    BT Sport 2
    Espn

UPC are still trying working a deal with Setanta The channels are on the UPC Epg so its will happen just don't know when its going live and how much

There getting lot of business in the last few days as Sky users in Ireland want to watch Premiership Football games that Espn used to have
    With BT Sport getting the Rights to games and even more from next season
    Football fans in Ireland will have no choice but to subscribe to Setanta

This Deal BT Sport is for 3 Years and Setanta have got the rights for Ireland from BT Sport

Its after the 3 years are up and new deals are made we will have to see
    I expect Setanta are very happy right now and are playing hard ball with UPC to get the Channels
    Hopefully the extra revenue will mean;

1. The return of Setanta Sports 1 as a standalone channel.
    2. The launch of Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 in HD on all platforms.
    3. Take sky on and improve their current suite of right.
    4. Major Investment into Irish sport.

I hope they actually do well and really make a go of it, its in their grasp now and its up to them to use this opportunity to their advantage.

I'm almost certain it is possible and is about €10-15 cheaper then the full sky sports package.

With Sky you can choose Sky sport 1 or Sky Sports 2
    Separate if you want

But most customers choose Full Sky Sport Pack
    But this all changed now as before you got ESPN with sky as part of that pack
    From Today ESPN is only available ON sky if you subscribe to BT Sport in the UK/Northern Ireland

In Rep Of Ireland BT sport have done a deal with Setanta to provide the channels
    All premierships Football Games that Espn had are now on BT Sport 1/2

Espn America Closed Down
    Espn Classic Closed Down

it looks very bad for programs on Premier Sports to be blocked out in the UK

Same for RoI viewers too? Looking at listings for Setanta Sports 1, blank screens for 4 hours on Saturday evening and again on Sunday afternoon since all of the All Ireland football quarter finals are UK only viewing.

New subscribers mightn't be best pleased to see this on the first weekend?

Same for RoI viewers too? Looking at listings for Setanta Sports 1, blank screens for 4 hours on Saturday evening and again on Sunday afternoon since all of the All Ireland football quarter finals are UK only viewing.

New subscribers mighn't be best pleased to see this on the first weekend?
    I suppose the way Setanta see it is that at least the Irish are left with Setanta Ireland but in the UK when Premier Sports is blocked then that's it, a subscription broadcaster is effectively off air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I had the unpleasant experience of dealing with Setanta before and will never do so again, even if it does mean having no access to Serie A. I'd rather find it online than give Setanta anything.

With Sky you can choose Sky sport 1 or Sky Sports 2
    Separate if you want

But most customers choose Full Sky Sport Pack
    But this all changed now as before you got ESPN with sky as part of that pack
    From Today ESPN is only available ON sky if you subscribe to BT Sport in the UK/Northern Ireland

In Rep Of Ireland BT sport have done a deal with Setanta to provide the channels
    All premierships Football Games that Espn had are now on BT Sport 1/2

Espn America Closed Down
    Espn Classic Closed Down

I know it is 35 for full sports package but how much for either do you know? It is some disgrace that you have to get an entertainment package if you want to get the sports

I had the unpleasant experience of dealing with Setanta before and will never do so again, even if it does mean having no access to Serie A. I'd rather find it online than give Setanta anything.
    I have heard of people having problems in the past with Setanta but fair is fair.... any dealings I have ever had with them was good, never a bother cancelling direct debit or anything.

• Advertisement

New subscribers mightn't be best pleased to see this on the first weekend?

Yes But you can view the GAA games Live on RTE 2 AND RTE 2 HD on Saturday/Sunday
    and its free to watch

Advertisement