Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Roll Dublin City marathon - photogs wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I have no problem getting up at any hour of the day to pursue my hobbies, any of my friends will tell you the same so 3am is no problem for me! I do get up at unsocial hours for work from time to time and I guess this will be another. At the moment I can balance this with my family life along with work.

I'm "at a loose end" Wednesday night,Thurs,Fri so you can pick.

Will you send me a detailed email with all the relevant information like how you will pay me, will I be using my own gear, what the pictures will be used for, a contact for the shoot, what the brief will be just like marathonfoto.com have done? I will also expect 50% payment upfront and have you sign a contract.

I still don't see any point to your argument!

that was not the offer ..... are you in or out ... random call/text from me issuing instructions, including how/where to deliver the images, what happens with them are not your concern - they will be my property after that (as per the message earlier).

I doubt very much you would try dictate terms with Marathon photo/foto or any other agency which would ask for you to do a job, you in or out ?

I was leaning more towards Mon/Tues or Mon and either Wed/Thurs.....you say you are "at a loose end" Wed/Thurs/Fri.

if you dont see the point of my argument please re-read my post in response to Daire - if that doesn't make sense I can try simplify it.

Paulw wrote: »
    Pregnant wife about to give birth any day now. Much more important than any photography job. And yes, it is also very much effecting my day to day work, but I am thankful that I have the ability to work from home, when needed.

Otherwise, I would very much take you up on your offer.

Let me offer my congrats !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Oh God no don't close the thread. It's one of the more lively and interesting threads at the minute. There is also two additional offer of work for photogs which have to play out fully yet and the marathon is only a couple of weeks away so we might get to discuss the results of our efforts.

Oh God no don't close the thread. It's one of the more lively and interesting threads at the minute. There is also two additional offer of work for photogs which have to play out fully yet and the marathon is only a couple of weeks away so we might get to discuss the results of our efforts.

there was an offer made to two .... one has declined (personal reasons) and the other semi-accepted...offer of earning €200 is still available to one boardsie - subject to working 2 "jobs".

oh ..P&B thanks for the responses about the inner details of expenses incurred - you say you didn't get out of there till after 5pm ...and started 6am- ish. (roughly 12hour day...that is tough !! ...no wonder the Mrs didn't want to do it again - was this told to you before or did you just accept it as "part of the job" ?)

I'm guessing you don't know but did others also have free food/parking ? (I'm assuming some were at different parts of the course - away from free food and parking)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

P&B it's not a marathon- it's a half marathon - so it's not 26miles plus it's only 13 miles plus:D

• Advertisement

Just listened to Mumford and Sons version of Paul Simon's 'The Boxer' - really good:D

Anyway - seeing as the thread is 'interseting' I just wonder have the organisers thought it through?

The main batch of 'Gumtree' photographers will be students looking to make an easy 60 euros.

But how do they get into town for 6 am on Bank Holiday - there is no public transport.

If it's raining...

Corkbah wrote: »
    oh ..P&B thanks for the responses about the inner details of expenses incurred - you say you didn't get out of there till after 5pm ...and started 6am- ish. (roughly 12hour day...that is tough !! ...no wonder the Mrs didn't want to do it again - was this told to you before or did you just accept it as "part of the job" ?)

Yep, we knew it was going to be a long day and it was. Not only long but damn hard work - think I fired off about 1500 shots and they were the runners before and after the race - not on the course. So contrary to some peoples idea that this is "monkey" work - just point and click - I actually interacted with each and every person I shot. I spoke to them, made sure I could see the bib/number and congratulated them on finishing. This is where I was in my element - I love shooting people like that. So for me taking on a job like this is not really about the money. I get to do something I love and help out a friend and top it off with a few quid.
    I'm guessing you don't know but did others also have free food/parking ? (I'm assuming some were at different parts of the course - away from free food and parking)

No I do know. And I know because I knew most of the other shooters that were with me. They all came from my camera club and yes they all got free parking (public) because it was a Bank Holiday and they all got fed and watered.

keps wrote: »
    Anyway - seeing as the thread is 'interseting' I just wonder have the organisers thought it though?

The main batch of 'Gumtree' photographers will be students looking to make an easy 60 euros.

But how do they get into town for 6 am on Bank Holiday - there is no public transport.

thats for them to sort out ...lol (dont students these days get cars from Daddy....at least some of them have cars...but then again ...getting students up for 6am ??? )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think I'm broadly in agreement, but really, people will get paid over minimum wage (If P&B's €150 for @12 hours work is a typical experience) for doing what's essentially pretty repetitive rote work requiring little if any creative input, it's not so bad viewed like that.

That said, the attitude exemplified by a few people on the thread "it was great craic", "no problem getting up at any hour of the day to pursue my hobbies" etc etc is probably exactly the mindset that marathonphotos is looking to take advantage of. It's a kind of 'oo I can make a quick buck out of my hobby' rather than looking at it in a calculating professional fashion.

• Advertisement

6am? Sure that's just a very late night. They'll do it on their way home....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

that was not the offer ..... are you in or out ... random call/text from me issuing instructions, including how/where to deliver the images, what happens with them are not your concern - they will be my property after that (as per the message earlier).

I doubt very much you would try dictate terms with Marathon photo/foto or any other agency which would ask for you to do a job, you in or out ?

I was leaning more towards Mon/Tues or Mon and either Wed/Thurs.....you say you are "at a loose end" Wed/Thurs/Fri.

if you dont see the point of my argument please re-read my post in response to Daire - if that doesn't make sense I can try simplify it.

I asked you simple questions can you not answer them?? marathonfoto.com seemed to be able to answer any I had.

I only agreed with marathonfoto.com after they sent me answers and terms of the agreement I wont do so until you send me the information I'm looking for.

The more you spout the more I'm less likely to work for somebody like you. I'm concerned that you cant even answer some simple questions so what will the rest of the contract be like!

When you can answer them I'll let you know if I want the job or not.

Early this morning I asked Marathonfoto to tell me the rates for the 'course' photographers ( in which category I now seem to be placed)- 10 hours later - no response.

there was an offer made to two .... one has declined (personal reasons) and the other semi-accepted...offer of earning €200 is still available to one boardsie - subject to working 2 "jobs".

Pullandbang has said he'd do it so your back up to two potentially doing the job?? Whats the difference with Paul or Denis doing the job?

Early this morning I asked Marathonfoto to tell me the rates for the 'course' photographers ( in which category I now seem to be placed)- 10 hours later - no response.

Very quick with responses back to me, found Stefan pleasant to deal with.

Very quick with responses back to me, found Stefan pleasant to deal with.

Can you PM the rates then?

PM sent Keps.

PM sent Keps.

with no rates - as I expected- big fudge

Yep, we knew it was going to be a long day and it was. Not only long but damn hard work - think I fired off about 1500 shots and they were the runners before and after the race - not on the course. So contrary to some peoples idea that this is "monkey" work - just point and click - I actually interacted with each and every person I shot. I spoke to them, made sure I could see the bib/number and congratulated them on finishing. This is where I was in my element - I love shooting people like that. So for me taking on a job like this is not really about the money. I get to do something I love and help out a friend and top it off with a few quid.

No I do know. And I know because I knew most of the other shooters that were with me. They all came from my camera club and yes they all got free parking (public) because it was a Bank Holiday and they all got fed and watered.

help out a friend ??? do you know the people in Marathon photo/foto ?

I'm guessing the reason you are looking for people here is because after last years work most of the camera club members decided it was not worth doing for the money - which is essentially the point I have made all along...or I could be wrong.

for me the people that do this "job" are being taken advantage of and not getting a fair price for what they do, I believe the "advert" on gumtree implies you would earn €€€ by lunchtime (12 noon).... to me that doesn't reflect the reality of the long hard day that you experienced.

also - you said free public parking because its a bank holiday ... this is not the case, if you were parked in a public place on the Bank Holiday monday you risked getting clamped - unlike public transport parking is not a different service, there is free parking in phoenix park every day for the public but finding a space is usually hard and requires getting there early - then again 6ish is more than early enough.

as you have said earlier in the thread ...its horses for courses, some people will enjoy it (yourself) and others won't be able for the long day and may consider it not worth the money (your good Mrs).

from the original request it was definitely not made clear that this is a long days work for approx minimum wage (12hrs for €60 is less than minimum wage), and was not made clear that ALL the images would be the property of Marathon Fotos.

its a long hard day, but you'll gain experience and earn "some" money ...get fed and watered.

with no rates - as I expected- big fudge

Keps I told you in the PM why but if you want to jump on the Corkbah bandwagon go ahead!

But here's the rates I was told which is a snip-it of the email that was the reply.
    Pay: Euro 60 Guarantee
    6:30 AM to 8:30 AM - 0.17 cent per bib # photographed.
    8:30 AM to 12:00 AM Euro 15/hr

Happy now????

• Advertisement

Keps I told you in the PM why but if you want to jump on the Corkbah bandwagon go ahead!

Happy now????

And are you working on that basis?

BTW I am only participating on the basis of common sense - I am nodody's patsy.

And are you working on that basis?
    Because you've been on and off the fence for the past 4 pages until you wanted the thread locked. You have been sent details yourself yes? Then its a simple yes or no.

Its pretty simple:
    If you want the job for cash,experience or just the fun then put your name forward.
    If you don't then that's fine but everybody here can look after themselves.

No it's not - those rates were for the 'meet and greet' non photographers.

We were then told we were ' course' photographers- taking hopefully decent shots ( well I would anyway) of real runners really running!:D:pac::pac:

When I asked what the rate for this was - no response!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

People asking for threads to be locked I find irritating.

Referring the 'job' I will try it and that way I will see if I ever want to do it again, I don't work and I live in town so handy cider money for me...I hope.

People asking for threads to be locked I find irritating.

I think you managed to close down a few:P

help out a friend ??? do you know the people in Marathon photo/foto ?
    No, just the Irish guy Neil McShane who is a former club member and he asked me to put a call out here and in the club.
    I'm guessing the reason you are looking for people here is because after last years work most of the camera club members decided it was not worth doing for the money - which is essentially the point I have made all along...or I could be wrong.

Yet again you're wrong. The club members were also asked and they are doing it too - again.
    for me the people that do this "job" are being taken advantage of and not getting a fair price for what they do, I believe the "advert" on gumtree implies you would earn €€€ by lunchtime (12 noon).... to me that doesn't reflect the reality of the long hard day that you experienced.
    Wrong again. The last one I did was the Dublin City Marathon - full day job. This is a half marathon as pointed out by keps earlier and I'm expecting to earn the same again for half the hours.
    also - you said free public parking because its a bank holiday ... this is not the case, if you were parked in a public place on the Bank Holiday monday you risked getting clamped - unlike public transport parking is not a different service, there is free parking in phoenix park every day for the public but finding a space is usually hard and requires getting there early - then again 6ish is more than early enough.

I'm just telling what happened last time. They ALL got free on street parking.
    as you have said earlier in the thread ...its horses for courses, some people will enjoy it (yourself) and others won't be able for the long day and may consider it not worth the money (your good Mrs).

Without going into gory details, missuspandb suffers with a bad back and all the running around didn't agree with her. That's why she won't do it - nothing to do with the money.
    from the original request it was definitely not made clear that this is a long days work for approx minimum wage (12hrs for €60 is less than minimum wage), and was not made clear that ALL the images would be the property of Marathon Fotos.

its a long hard day, but you'll gain experience and earn "some" money ...get fed and watered.

Wrong again. This job is not a 12 hr day and the min you get is €60. Once you do your job properly you can expect to earn up to the €150 mark.
    The details have been sent to those that expressed an interest and they can still opt out if it's not for them. No one came on here twisting anyone's arm to do this. As to the images being the property of MF, what did you expect? You are being hired by them to use their equipment and take photos for them - naturally the resulting images will then belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I think you managed to close down a few:P

hehe yes but the newer viewers here may not know why :P

Re: the thread, It's a good long read, it's a different read and while I mostly disagree with Corkbah he pursues his side of the argument pretty well.

• Advertisement

I think I'm broadly in agreement, but really, people will get paid over minimum wage (If P&B's €150 for @12 hours work is a typical experience) for doing what's essentially pretty repetitive rote work requiring little if any creative input, it's not so bad viewed like that.

I agree - but its a very long hard day and most would not consider it worth the money
    That said, the attitude exemplified by a few people on the thread "it was great craic", "no problem getting up at any hour of the day to pursue my hobbies" etc etc is probably exactly the mindset that marathonphotos is looking to take advantage of. It's a kind of 'oo I can make a quick buck out of my hobby' rather than looking at it in a calculating professional fashion.

While I agree in principle - it also implies they are not looking for photographers rather looking for someone who wants to make "some" money and in my opinion doesn't know the full extent of the work involved in doing it properly.
    Pullandbang has said he'd do it so your back up to two potentially doing the job?? Whats the difference with Paul or Denis doing the job?

offer was made to two people - one of which was you - you haven't accepted because you want more information.

like I said in my earlier post - you will be required to goto a location or number of locations between 3-4am on two days selected by me take a small number of images and send via email/ftp or post a CD of the images (unedited).

if that's not specific enough - the details are to be given within 12hours of shoot time - if you accept the job.

Did you give Marathon fotos a contract with your terms and conditions (you wanted me to sign a contract earlier in the thread)....doubt it.

look were all agreed that the work with Marathon foto's is a long hard day of repetitive work, but they do not advertise it as such - the advert claims the photographer would be finished by 12 noon (P&B said it was 5ish by the time they finished last year - and he had to travel back to Meath afterwards)

if he received €120 for his 12hours - minus €20 driving expenses - thats around minimum wage to me !! ... so why not advertise it as :

Want to work hard ...in a competitive environment earning near minimum wage... then call us ...we'll pay you some money !!

Advertisement