Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in Spain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

sandin wrote: »
    Ah, the old medicine in spain story.

Spanish system - consumer pays 40% of drug cost, gov pays 60%. Applies to all drugs.

Irish system, consumer with medical card oays 1.50 per perscription, non medical card pays full price but never more than whatever the monthly limit is (about €130?)

Spain wins if you are nitca medical card holder needing mid price or liw price drugs, but on higher price drugs or if you have a small income, you don't want to be on the Spanish system! !!

Medicine card should be fcukin abolished. 1.50 per subscription is ridiculous. They should have to pay Just like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Murt10 wrote: »
    Probably been posted before, but a timely reminder for some.

I'm just back from a holiday in Spain. Various members of my family are on long term prescription medicines. We pay E144 per month to our local chemist (Boots) for this medication under the Drugs Payment Scheme

Before going to Spain, I went to my local GP and asked him for repeat prescriptions using the generic name of each tablet for the family.

Being a cautious type, and having seen numerous stories of people buying fake medicine online, I also asked him if there was a danger that I would be
    palmed off with these. He assured me that once I was buying from a pharmacy, there should be no problem.

Armed with the generic prescription I went into a pharmacy in Spain and asked how much it would be to fill it. The assistant/pharmacist got out all the medicines and scanned them. E39.50.

I asked if I could buy 6 months worth together. No problem she said.

I was amazed at the size of the savings.

Looks like we may be having a weekend away in Spain in 6 months time effectively paid for by the Irish Pharmaceutical industry. (Warped logic, I know)

Looks like you have been ripped off for years in Ireland and just because you don't in Spain, you think you are getting a weekend away. More common sense please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

snubbleste wrote: »
    And the Spanish taxpayer has subsidised your medication to the tune of €___ ?

We're all European plus I'm sure there are plenty of Spanish over here claiming benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

unkel wrote: »
    Bought some generic stuff like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. from a big UK web pharmacy in bulk. Cost €45. The same stuff from a boots shop here would have been about €500...

Ordering medicines over the internet is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

sandin wrote: »
    Also there are stupid restrictions on size of packet on items such as aspirin & ibuprofen and that each packet must have info pertaining to Irish consumers.

I don't see a problem with restricting packet size - makes sense to me, as ibuprofen can be addictive. However I agree that pricing is very high and the smaller packets should be priced pro-rata based on quantity.

I often buy medicines in Turkey when we visit - usually much cheaper (not always but often).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

, as ibuprofen can be addictive.

Not to the best of my knowledge...

Ibuprofen is available in 48 packs OTC here. Nothing like the 200 tubs US supermarkets sell though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What is it with Irish peoples fascination and tablets anyway.

You'd want to be on your deathbed before a Dutch doctor would prescribe you anything.

I'd go to an Irish Doctor and they hand out prescriptions for stuff like sweeties.

e.g.
    Go to a Dutch Doctor with headaches lack of sleep, feeling down.
    Doctor says get more exercise, drink less coffee, drink more water and eat more vegetables.

Go to an Irish Doctor and they hand out prescriptions for Cipramil or Zyprexa (while taking their notes with a Zyprexa pen and notepad)

Saying that the generic stuff here is way cheaper, you can get a 48 pack of paracetamol for 99 cents in Etos, bizarrely they are manufactured by Clonmel healthcare.

Only time I bought a few boxes of stuff like Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Carbon Capsules etc was going to Indonesia only because a Dutch lad I know said if you needed them in Indonesia you would be ripped off.

You always need a prescription in Germany/The Netherlands anyway.
    You can't even buy Sudafed over the counter in Germany/NL as its controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roozer

The op's post is flawed. He is comparing branded medicines he was getting in Ireland to generic medicines in Spain. Thats not like with like.
    If he wanted to make a saving then why wasn't he always on generics in Ireland?

The problem is people don't shop around enough
    This for example maybe the price in some pharmacies
    e.g. Lipitor 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €32.38
    Generic Atorvastatin 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €30.48
    That's lunacy.

but you can get atorvastatin 40mg in Tesco for €15.

I know there is not a big difference in price with some generic but with most there is, especially if you shop around properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

another good comparison on generics is cetrizine hydrochloride, basically hay fever tablets.

Non generic box of 7: 6 to 8 euros
    generic box of 7: 40 cents :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There was a programme on the BBC recently, about the crisis in Spain. One part, relevant to this discussion, was pharmacies in the Valencia region. The regional government subsidises medicines there, and at the moment owes €500 MILLION to the pharmacies, who are going out of business. The days of cheap subsidised drugs in Spain are coming to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

as ibuprofen can be addictive.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Not to the best of my knowledge...

Ibuprofen is available in 48 packs OTC here. Nothing like the 200 tubs US supermarkets sell though

Sorry, my use of language there was misleading. I should have said emotionally addictive/dependancy can occur.

Ibuprofen being too readily available in large quantities to manage pain can result in over use of the drug, which itself can have serious side effects. Over self-prescribing pain killers is never a good idea.

http://www.addictionhope.com/ibuprofen

A normal OTC box of 24 ibuprofen should see most people through a reasonable amount of time for common ailments such as headaches/period pains/fever/flu etc. If you are going through large quantities then it is definitely something that needs to be monitored by a doctor. Only a doctor should be approving large quantities of ibuprofen use, and I personally don't see that the small packs being a problem.

But again, I do agree that a pack of 24 should be pro-rata priced so that the less you buy, the cheaper it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

falabo wrote: »
    do they take into account the money retired foreigners spend in Spain ? I'm sure they would make it up on VAT alone over the course of the year!

It's the 40+ years of no contribution to the social welfare system that's the problem.

IMHO they should back charge to the country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Pharmaceuticals are only subsidised if you produce a prescription from a Spanish G.P.

Over the counter drugs are subsidised in Spain also. That's why they are cheaper than most other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

For all the people wondering what site I bought off: pharmacyfirst.co.uk

32 pack of Aspirin £0.28 incl. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

I was in Portugal in early June, I was enquired about Zoton antacid tabs, they didn't stock them but offered me an alternative
    generic one named Omeprezol Zentiva 20mg. I got 6 boxes of 56 capsules @E 3.90 a box, unbelievable price as my Zoton were 48 Euro for 28 here in Ireland. The only problem was that they didn't have fast relief tabs but still I am using these ever since and they work perfectly. I'll be doing more shopping later in the year .....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

I was in Portugal earlier this year and I bought Atorvastatin 40mg 28 pack for 4.80, it would make more sense if the EU had a pricing system throughout the EU, it'll never be tackled in this country otherwiswe .....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mbshrekito

snubbleste wrote: »
    Medication in Spanish pharmacies is subsided by the government. I'm not sure by how much.

by zero %

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mbshrekito wrote: »
    by zero %

Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ordering medicines over the internet is illegal.

are you sure about that?id like to know where you get your info from please?
    i do it all the time.
    and for those of you interested.pharmacyfirst.co.uk accept irish prescriptions online.i rang them and asked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

crazygeryy wrote: »
    are you sure about that?id like to know where you get your info from please?
    i do it all the time.
    and for those of you interested.pharmacyfirst.co.uk accept irish prescriptions online.i rang them and asked.

Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) Regulations, 1996

The online pharmacy doesn't care if they get their money, they're not in Ireland to be affected by it.

If the shipment is found by customs, it'll be destroyed and you'll get a nastygram from the IMB threatening prosecution. If its something actually interesting/abusable you most likely will be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

unkel wrote: »
    For all the people wondering what site I bought off: pharmacyfirst.co.uk

32 pack of Aspirin £0.28 incl. VAT

how much was delivery?

Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) Regulations, 1996

The online pharmacy doesn't care if they get their money, they're not in Ireland to be affected by it.

If the shipment is found by customs, it'll be destroyed and you'll get a nastygram from the IMB threatening prosecution. If its something actually interesting/abusable you most likely will be prosecuted.

hasnt happened yet.
    then again ive never ordered prescription stuff just over the counter meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

....Saying that the generic stuff here is way cheaper, you can get a 48 pack of paracetamol for 99 cents in Etos, bizarrely they are manufactured by Clonmel healthcare....

Funny you should say that, a few years ago we went into a pharmacy in Spain asking if they had a particular medication or something similar.
    They had the exact same one, identical, made by Clonmel healthcare as well and it was just under half the price in Spain.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, a few years ago we went into a pharmacy in Spain asking if they had a particular medication or something similar.
    They had the exact same one, identical, made by Clonmel healthcare as well and it was just under half the price in Spain.

this should be in the mind blowing facts thread!! ffs it's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If the shipment is found by customs, it'll be destroyed and you'll get a nastygram from the IMB threatening prosecution.

If 'Irish' medicines were close enough in price people wouldn't bother but because they're often a multiple then it makes it worth the risk.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    hasnt happened yet.
    then again ive never ordered prescription stuff just over the counter meds.

Clearly, if you've got it it hasn't been intercepted.

If it is intercepted, you aren't getting it - it'll be destroyed and you'll have no input in to the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

mbshrekito wrote: »
    by zero %

In Spain Consumer pays 40% of price, Government pays 60% on all medicines.

In Ireland, those on medical card pay 1.50 no matter what the cost, gov pays balance.

Those without medical cards pay a MAXIMUM of €144 per month per family (children under 18 or under 23 if they are in college) and government pays the rest.

As I've said before - cheap medicines are cheaper for non medical card holders in spain, but expensive medicines are way cheaper here.

e.g. MS drug Tysabri - Annual cost = about €25,000.
    In Spain you will pay €10,000 per year, in Ireland you will pay a maximum of €1,728 and every other medicine your family requires would cost zero.

So looking at the bigger picture, I'd rather pay a little more for aspirin and know that any major drug will not cost me more than €144 a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've ordered St. John's Wort for my mammy and Dentinox for my babbies from UK pharmacies dozens of times, and received all but one package -- which could have been simply down to dodgy post. Both unavailable in Ireland, one made prescription a few years ago. No notices from customs, and certainly not from anyone else. So balls to that.

Clearly, if you've got it it hasn't been intercepted.

If it is intercepted, you aren't getting it - it'll be destroyed and you'll have no input in to the matter.

your the one that said id get a nasty letter if it was intercepted?

surely they have to notify you if they are confiscating stuff that is belong to you be it legal or illegal?

are you sure you know what your talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Actually they give you the option of having the whole shipment destroyed or returned to sender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement