Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in Spain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SteM

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and for those of you interested.pharmacyfirst.co.uk accept irish prescriptions online.i rang them and asked.

Their website says

Under UK law we are only able to dispense prescriptions written by practitioners who are registered in the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

your the one that said id get a nasty letter if it was intercepted?

surely they have to notify you if they are confiscating stuff that is belong to you be it legal or illegal?

are you sure you know what your talking about?

You seem to have trouble following simple points.

You'll be contacted by the IMB, but the product will also be destroyed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Miike wrote: »
    I bought 500 ibuprofen for €6 online the other day. SHOCKING the price I'd pay in somewhere like boots. A family member of mine was recently in Canada and bought the exact same ibuprofen for $3,60. We got robbed in this country!

from where?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

unkel wrote: »
    Bought some generic stuff like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. from a big UK web pharmacy in bulk. Cost €45. The same stuff from a boots shop here would have been about €500...

which ibuprofen did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

SteM wrote: »
    Their website says

Under UK law we are only able to dispense prescriptions written by practitioners who are registered in the UK.

i rang them and they said as long as it was a valid european prescription they would accept it.you fax it to them first they ok it and then you send them the real one.maybe the lady thought i lived in NI.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

MYOB wrote: »

You'll be contacted by the IMB, but the product will also be destroyed.

that is not what you said to begin with.
    If it is intercepted, you aren't getting it - it'll be destroyed and you'll have no input in to the matter.

again im saying im sure they have to notify you when they are destroying/confiscating stuff that you have purchased.

im sure you can follow that, you seem like an intelligent chap/chapette.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

which ibuprofen did you get?

at a guess, i'd say these?

ibuprofen

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

that is not what you said to begin with.

Yes it is. Please actually read my posts.
    again im saying im sure they have to notify you when they are destroying/confiscating stuff that you have purchased.

Customs are entitled to destroy without notification anything which is illegal to bring in to the country.

Take a look for the thread-a-week or more on here where people complain about being told their fake watches/sunglasses were destroyed.
    Prior notification only applies to items where you can pay to have them imported or forfeit them; you have no other option in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I believe that you can claim these against income tax as medical expenses if you keep your receipts as long as they're bought in anothee EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

You can get generics in ireland but they cost multiples of what they do in other eu states

you are misunderstanding my point. I know people can buy generics in Ireland, but my understanding of the OP was that the OP does not purchase generics in Ireland, but yet will do so in Spain, so isnt really comparing like for like prices.

***I'm not disputing the fact that we pay way more for medicines here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

fizzoo12 wrote: »
    I was in Portugal in early June, I was enquired about Zoton antacid tabs, they didn't stock them but offered me an alternative generic one named Omeprezol Zentiva 20mg. I got 6 boxes of 56 capsules @E 3.90 a box, unbelievable price as my Zoton were 48 Euro for 28 here in Ireland. The only problem was that they didn't have fast relief tabs but still I am using these ever since and they work perfectly. I'll be doing more shopping later in the year .....

Leaving the prices aside, they're two different medicines!

Zoton = lansoprazole
    Omeprezol Zentiva = omeprazole

The pharmacy is therefore either a) incompetent by giving you the wrong stuff or b) illegally giving you prescription-only meds without a prescription (and possibly both).

Great deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went to the Doctors a few years back (50quid) as i needed some anti-biotics (Amoxycillin), i knew exactly what i wanted as had an ear infection and had the same years before in Wales, he prescribed them and i think it cost around 5euro for a 7 day course from the pharmacy.

Was in Greece a month later, popped into a pharmacy and bought 4 boxes at 4euro a box, no prescription needed and always handy to have in.

Always stock up now when over there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Was in Greece a month later, popped into a pharmacy and bought 4 boxes at 4euro a box, no prescription needed and always handy to have in.

Always stock up now when over there

Taking antibiotics on a regular basis defeats the purpose of taking antibiotics in the first place.

Leaving the prices aside, they're two different medicines!

Zoton = lansoprazole
    Omeprezol Zentiva = omeprazole

The pharmacy is therefore either a) incompetent by giving you the wrong stuff or b) illegally giving you prescription-only meds without a prescription (and possibly both).

Great deal!

on b:, I'd hazard a guess they're both OTC in Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

on b:, I'd hazard a guess they're both OTC in Portugal.

Nah, checked it out, they're both prescription-only.

Nah, checked it out, they're both prescription-only.

Ah, we're not the only country with an incredibly tight lock on them then.

are you sure about that?id like to know where you get your info from please?
    i do it all the time.
    and for those of you interested.pharmacyfirst.co.uk accept irish prescriptions online.i rang them and asked.

That's completely illegal. you should tell your local pharmacist. They will pass the information onto the GPhC.

at a guess, i'd say these?

ibuprofen

Speaking as a pharmacist. If somebody came into the pharmacy looking for 500 ibuprofen. I would not allow them to be dispensed as I would be concerned why they want 500 ibuprofen and also, the maximum amount of ibuprofen to be dispensed is 32.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Pantoprazole, another PPI, is available here OTC under the brand name Pantoloc Control among others (and across the EU I believe, it was licensed by the EMA).

Long term use of a proton pump inhibitor is to be avoided as it can lead to osteoporosis or can be masking the symptoms of gastric cancer/oesphagitis. If you find yourself using a polpi for more than a month Oct. You should contact your doctor, especially if you are over 40.

• Advertisement

Long term use of a proton pump inhibitor is to be avoided as it can lead to osteoporosis or can be masking the symptoms of gastric cancer/oesphagitis. If you find yourself using a polpi for more than a month Oct. You should contact your doctor, especially if you are over 40.

Huge amount of OTC meds are dangerous for long-term use, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Huge amount of OTC meds are dangerous for long-term use, though.

It's a good thing we have you guys to protect us from ourselves. I guess we're just not as bright as the Spanish and Greeks when it comes to OTC medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Taking antibiotics on a regular basis defeats the purpose of taking antibiotics in the first place.

I never take them on a regular basis, just when i need them, maybe once or twice a year, if that. Just found it handy to have them in and at 3/4quid a packet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

So much ignorance in this thread and not even a bargain alert. Should have been locked 5 pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

penguin88 wrote: »
    Pantoprazole, another PPI, is available here OTC under the brand name Pantoloc Control among others (and across the EU I believe, it was licensed by the EMA).

On a similar note; while on holidays in Florida this year I was wandering through Walmart and something caught my eye on the end of one of the aisles. Hanging on the corner of a shelf, not even near the in-store pharmacy, was a display box with slow release 20mg Omeprazole tablets at $6 for 28. I get these, as Losecs, every month on prescription at a price of around €26.

It's a good thing we have you guys to protect us from ourselves. I guess we're just not as bright as the Spanish and Greeks when it comes to OTC medicines.

You appear to have wildly misinterpreted my post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SteM wrote: »
    Their website says

Most Irish GPs are also UK registered (a lot of the refresher training is up North- and they need to be dual registered for this purpose alone). Some doctors practising here aren't- but I'm guessing they're in a minority.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Speaking as a pharmacist. If somebody came into the pharmacy looking for 500 ibuprofen. I would not allow them to be dispensed as I would be concerned why they want 500 ibuprofen and also, the maximum amount of ibuprofen to be dispensed is 32.

I'm on a prescription for 100 600Mg Brufen per month- I've never had any issue having them dispensed in an Irish pharmacy- occasionally they have to ordered in, as they're not a regular prescription. I used be given a plastic box with 100 in it- now its blister packs- I swear the packaging must cost a fortune.

I try to keep my expenditure to a minimum- I've two young children- I don't have money to spare, I don't have a medical card- and I certainly don't have 140 a month to spare for medication (often I do without- I simply can't afford it).

You'd be surprised. I had a person who came in who thought his girlfriend was cheating on him because she had thrush.

• Advertisement

Huge amount of OTC oilmeds are dangerous for long-term use, though.

You should not be otc medication long term. In that case, you are only treating the symptom, not the underlying condition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement