Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in Spain

Options
  • 25-07-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Probably been posted before, but a timely reminder for some.

I'm just back from a holiday in Spain. Various members of my family are on long term prescription medicines. We pay E144 per month to our local chemist (Boots) for this medication under the Drugs Payment Scheme

Before going to Spain, I went to my local GP and asked him for repeat prescriptions using the generic name of each tablet for the family.

Being a cautious type, and having seen numerous stories of people buying fake medicine online, I also asked him if there was a danger that I would be
    palmed off with these. He assured me that once I was buying from a pharmacy, there should be no problem.

Armed with the generic prescription I went into a pharmacy in Spain and asked how much it would be to fill it. The assistant/pharmacist got out all the medicines and scanned them. E39.50.

I asked if I could buy 6 months worth together. No problem she said.

I was amazed at the size of the savings.

Looks like we may be having a weekend away in Spain in 6 months time effectively paid for by the Irish Pharmaceutical industry. (Warped logic, I know)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

So you saved >€600. Wow... that's just shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And the Spanish taxpayer has subsidised your medication to the tune of €___ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

snubbleste wrote: »

€0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

snubbleste wrote: »
    But sure aren't we all in the same European boat now, open markets and all that good stuff?

Apart from which the Spanish tax-payer makes no contribution to the cost of medicines destined to be exported to Ireland.

Big pharma's bottom line and the pharmacists' in Ireland take a little hit though as medicines are priced differently for each national market. Well done OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Murt10 wrote: »
    Before going to Spain, I went to my local GP and asked him for repeat prescriptions using the generic name of each tablet for the family.

how much are the generics in Ireland? My understanding of your post is that you dont get generics in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

daheff wrote: »
    how much are the generics in Ireland? My understanding of your post is that you dont get generics in Ireland?

You can get generics in ireland but they cost multiples of what they do in other eu states

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

is there not a limit on what you can carry on planes?

Medication in Spanish pharmacies is subsided by the government. I'm not sure by how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

daheff wrote: »

I think the OP was trying to get the point across that we do get generics in Ireland but with a serious markup. A markup that can even differ from county to country WITHIN Ireland which was highlighted by some newspaper who went around buying different medications in different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

My monthly meds only cost €42 here in Ireland, but I purchase the same novartis products (not generic) over the counter in spain without prescription (which is another €50 doctor visit in Ireland) for €8.90
    I suppose rather than post this in bargain alerts I should put it in the rip off Ireland thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Caliden wrote: »
    I think the OP was trying to get the point across that we do get generics in Ireland but with a serious markup. A markup that can even differ from county to country WITHIN Ireland which was highlighted by some newspaper who went around buying different medications in different counties.

Price variation in Ireland is because pharmacies are private businesses and can charge what they want. You'll find different prices in every pharmacy in a town usually. If they all charged the same, people would be screaming of a cartel.

The much higher price, however, is down to the fact that the wholesale cost of drugs here is many times higher than the retail price in many other countries. This is down to a rake of reasons ranging from extremely high fees to licence a drug in Ireland through to an overly cosy deal between the government and the drug manufacturers.

In that 42 vs 8.90 price comparison there, even a pharmacist charging the highest fees I've ever seen (50% retail markup and a €7 fee) would result in an Irish wholesale price of about €23 - meaning the pharmacy is buying the drugs for over twice the price that the Spanish pharmacy can *sell* them at. Spanish pharmacy will be making a decent profit on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

MYOB wrote: »
    Price variation in Ireland is because pharmacies are private businesses and can charge what they want. You'll find different prices in every pharmacy in a town usually. If they all charged the same, people would be screaming of a cartel.

Medicines purchased under the Drugs Payment Scheme DO cost the same in every pharmacy (as the state pays the cost once the monthly threshold is breached).

The HSE sets the price; they are all available to view here: http://www.sspcrs.ie/druglist/search.jsp

The problem is not the mark-up charged by the pharmacist (there is no longer any mark-up) but the wholesale price that is set by the HSE, which is multiples of what it should be for generics.
    e.g. Lipitor 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €32.38
    Generic Atorvastatin 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €30.48
    That's lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

€0

Nope. Spanish pharmaceuticals are subsidised.

This is why the Spanish government is pissed off with people retiring to Spain. They haven't contributed to the social welfare system and then come in to put strain on the medical system in later life.

Medicines purchased under the Drugs Payment Scheme DO cost the same in every pharmacy (as the state pays the cost once the monthly threshold is breached).

The HSE sets the price; they are all available to view here: http://www.sspcrs.ie/druglist/search.jsp

The problem is not the mark-up charged by the pharmacist (there is no longer any mark-up) but the wholesale price that is set by the HSE, which is multiples of what it should be for generics.
    e.g. Lipitor 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €32.38
    Generic Atorvastatin 40 mg tablets, 28 pack = €30.48
    That's lunacy.

A pharmacist is free to charge whatever markup they want up until the point they reach €144/month per patient/family. Huge number of pharmacies charge significantly more than the reimbursement price below €144 - that is how there is actually price variance.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

ArseBurger wrote: »

This is why the Spanish government is pissed off with people retiring to Spain. They haven't contributed to the social welfare system and then come in to put strain on the medical system in later life.

do they take into account the money retired foreigners spend in Spain ? I'm sure they would make it up on VAT alone over the course of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I can't imagine that is happening. They are pissed that some one is getting a few euros off some medicine. But yet they are bringing their pension and spending it in the spain. Generating thousands in tax every year.

Irish consumers complain how expensive everything is in Ireland. But yet near shop around for better prices or afraid to ask for a better price. I always ask for generics of anything over the counter. But when I'm in the uk I buy a ton of anti histimes. About 24p for 12 tablets in sainsbury or €5 for 7 tablets in ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

OK I accept that my post above is inaccurate and the Spanish Government subsidises medications, I found this info when trawling the web :

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-spain-prescriptions-medications

Of particular interest to me is my pet hate with Irish pharmacists. My doctor issues me with monthly prescriptions. The pharmaceutical companies sometimes package their products in quantities of 28. If they are delivered in multiples of 30 the pharmacists open the packages and reduce the contents to multiples of 28. This has two principal effects
    • I need to get 13 rather than 12 prescriptions filled per year
    • Someone, often me. gets all the poxy off-cuts delivered in their prescription
    Why is this stupid process necessary? The 28-day dispensing quantity was introduced in response to pressure by the NHS. Why do we have to suffer the costs and inconvenience of the rquirements of a health system of a foreign country?

In Spain, by contrast : "When medications are issued ... they are in boxes with a set number of tablets in each box. Pharmacists are not permitted to split the boxes, so you may end up with more medication than you actually need. "

Ask your gp to prescribe 30 rather than 28. If they already are, complain to the pharmacist that they are not following the.script

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

MYOB wrote: »
    Ask your gp to prescribe 30 rather than 28. If they already are, complain to the pharmacist that they are not following the.script

Another quick ditto about Irish Pharmasists. About ten years ago Boots attempted to open a store in Tullamore Co. Offaly and the cartel of local Pharmacies lobbied against it and they won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celtic Galician

Pharmaceuticals are only subsidised if you produce a prescription from a Spanish G.P.

The amount paid varies depending on the region you are. In most of the regions retired people pay just €1 per prescription or a percentage of the price up to €8 month. The rest of the population who pay taxes to the Social Security pay about 50% of the price.

If you are not a Spanish tax payer or retired, you must pay 100% of the price. I myself, as Irish resident have to pay the whole price, but I bring to Ireland all the medicines I can when I go on holidays.

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Another quick ditto about Irish Pharmasists. About ten years ago Boots attempted to open a store in Tullamore Co. Offaly and the cartel of local Pharmacies lobbied against it and they won out.

Sector is deregulated now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

You would be surprised how much the Pharmacy sell generics for compared to the cost from the Distributor

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

You would be surprised how much the Pharmacy sell generics for compared to the cost from the Distributor
    xxx%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

That's quite interesting. The HSE pays a pharmacist twice the amount for my prescription that I can buy it for in the North.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Ah, the old medicine in spain story.

Spanish system - consumer pays 40% of drug cost, gov pays 60%. Applies to all drugs.

Irish system, consumer with medical card oays 1.50 per perscription, non medical card pays full price but never more than whatever the monthly limit is (about €130?)

Spain wins if you are nitca medical card holder needing mid price or liw price drugs, but on higher price drugs or if you have a small income, you don't want to be on the Spanish system! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,144 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bought some generic stuff like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. from a big UK web pharmacy in bulk. Cost €45. The same stuff from a boots shop here would have been about €500...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

sandin wrote: »
    Ah, the old medicine in spain story.

Spanish system - consumer pays 40% of drug cost, gov pays 60%. Applies to all drugs.

Irish system, consumer with medical card oays 1.50 per perscription, non medical card pays full price but never more than whatever the monthly limit is (about €130?)

Spain wins if you are nitca medical card holder needing mid price or liw price drugs, but on higher price drugs or if you have a small income, you don't want to be on the Spanish system! !!

depends on the particular drugs alright. I was on a cocktail for the last year to get my asthma under control. Because the inhalers were over 60e a pop in both places (no generic out yet) I was as well to stick with Ireland. Now those I've come of that inhaler I can get everything else for a pittance in spain and save myself a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

unkel wrote: »
    Bought some generic stuff like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. from a big UK web pharmacy in bulk. Cost €45. The same stuff from a boots shop here would have been about €500...

Did they deliver to ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

unkel wrote: »

I bought 500 ibuprofen for €6 online the other day. SHOCKING the price I'd pay in somewhere like boots. A family member of mine was recently in Canada and bought the exact same ibuprofen for $3,60. We got robbed in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Miike wrote: »
    I bought 500 ibuprofen for €6 online the other day. SHOCKING the price I'd pay in somewhere like boots. A family member of mine was recently in Canada and bought the exact same ibuprofen for $3,60. We got robbed in this country!

Unfortunately every drug that is sold here has to get approval - even each separate generic version. The cost of approval is high, so unless it will be a big seller the companies won't apply for authorisation.
    Also there are stupid restrictions on size of packet on items such as aspirin & ibuprofen and that each packet must have info pertaining to Irish consumers.

If the medicine board had sense they would allow for anything approved in the UK to be allowed sale here and act as an overseer (or possibly have a European wide approval system) - this would create a single medical market between UK & Ireland (or Europe) and bring the cost of bringing the lower priced medicines to market down substantially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement