Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destruction in Hartstown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can I ask what house was ever in Hartstown Park and where was it located? I've lived literally beside the park in a corner house since '85 and know nothing of this. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭ozmo

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can I ask what house was ever in Hartstown Park and where was it located? I've lived literally beside the park in a corner house since '85 and know nothing of this. :confused:

You can see it on the 1920's maps - and also on the early 1800's maps here link
    Its seems just slightly north of the area being built on.

261219.jpg

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

ozmo wrote: »
    You can see it on the 1920's maps - and also on the early 1800's maps here link
    Its seems just slightly north of the area being built on.

261219.jpg
    Wow I'm nearly 30yrs living in Hartstown and I don't remember it! What year was it knocked down?

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

January wrote: »
    No, it's definitely you overreacting...

With the bad weather in Ireland, indoor sports facilities are a great thing to have.

There are plenty of green areas around the school for you and your family to kick a ball around in if you need to.

Ahh yeah blame the weather!

Gaspode wrote: »
    There were no objections placed to the planning prmission application - that was the time to express your opinions as to why the area shouldn't be closed off, not when permission has already been granted and work is commencing.

The notice was concealed on the ever open gate at the school, so most people did not see it.

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    Tbh, I think the green area to the rear of where they're digging is constantly littered and dirty looking - if a school facility takes it over at least there's some chance it'll look tidier! There's oodles of green space around, it's across the road from hartstown park and only a short spin/walk to millennium park for smaller kids. I've only ever seen that space be used as a shortcut to the garage/shops from the meadows estate behind it, rarely to I see it being used as a facility in itself, and if the fencing is anything to go by, there's still a big space left behind.

I am sure the area you are talking about will be tidied up when theland is re zoned and built on.

Yes most use it as a shortcut and it was a pleasent one too. I guess you are calling people who appreciate the beauty of it lazy?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Have you seen the size of the PE hall in St Ciarans? Its tiny. There is a need for a better sport facility for the school considering they have many teams like football/GAA/Basketball etc.

Its not always good weather so the kids need a place to train.
    I don't know how this cannot be seen as a good thing.

The house in Hartsown park was falling into ruins when I moved there. Lots of teenagers used to be over there drinking etc at night so it became a no go area.
    Yes it would have been lovely to keep if the Council had decided to invest but they didnt.

I don't care about the size of the PE hall. Why not use Hartstoen park. The house was in ruins but is gone and still the scumbags drink there.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Most of what is currently fenced off is working space and a safety cordon, I dont think its going to make an earth shattering difference to the amount of local open space when you consider the Park and the open land between the various estates. This part of Dublin 15 will still be one of the best served with recreational land

That is the Passive kind of attitude that has this country in the state we are in now. Take away major amounts from us and then its ok to take the simple pleasures and no one bats an eyelid

Morag wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is miffed they will have to detour around the new fencing on their way to the pub or shop.

Yep I am miffed.The walk to the shop was nice, now it is just an eyesore

If I were a resident there I would be insisting that the properly protect the trees they are supposed to be saving...

In our estate all the trees were damaged by road works - we lost several 300 year old trees - mosty by driving and parking tractors on the roots

All the main roots are barly under the surface of the ground and extend out very far. Any damage and they tend to die a few years after the building.

Here's an idea of the absolute mininum distance they should be marking off as a no-go area if they really intend to keep the trees... Really it should be much more.

studio+425+tree+RPA.jpg
    (Image is of some other country doing it right)

Thanks. These trees have been here since, before I was here. Now fenced off to be abused.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Wow I'm nearly 30yrs living in Hartstown and I don't remember it! What year was it knocked down?

You need to pay attention my friend. Everything will be gone if we let it.:pac:

All in all I am ashamed with most of you:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why didn't you object to the planning application then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

fletch wrote: »

There used to be pictures in the Hartstown pub of the old house if you wanted to see what it looked like.
    I remember the house basement was filled in around 1986 before the railings where around the park. They put the green containers/ changing rooms on the spot where it would have been.
    They planted trees and made a small hill behind the containers. When I was in the school our class went there to plant a tree for each pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

J.P.M wrote: »
    I am sure the area you are talking about will be tidied up when theland is re zoned and built on.

Yes most use it as a shortcut and it was a pleasent one too. I guess you are calling people who appreciate the beauty of it lazy?

No I'm not at all, and please don't put words in my mouth. I simply observed that most people ONLY use it as a shortcut rather than as a facility in itself; ie, there's not many kids on it playing games or what have you. And as a shortcut it had its shortcomings - in the winter it's often mucky as the path didn't extend all the way across, and I certainly never crossed it on dark evenings on my own as there would often be gangs of young lads hanging around. The school obviously needs the extra facilities, and yes, I do hope it gets tidied up as there's nothing as depressing , IMO, as any green area strewn with litter - that, to me, certainly ruins any beauty. If people who use it and live near it don't care enough to keep it tidy then maybe it should be rezoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭dodzy

An hour to get round the park? are you slow walking?
    4.5km. Bout right for some folk.

Why didn't you object to the planning application then?

I tried but got no support, as this thread shows. The planning notice was hidden away in a spot where noone would have seen it

nikpmup wrote: »
    No I'm not at all, and please don't put words in my mouth. I simply observed that most people ONLY use it as a shortcut rather than as a facility in itself; ie, there's not many kids on it playing games or what have you. And as a shortcut it had its shortcomings - in the winter it's often mucky as the path didn't extend all the way across, and I certainly never crossed it on dark evenings on my own as there would often be gangs of young lads hanging around. The school obviously needs the extra facilities, and yes, I do hope it gets tidied up as there's nothing as depressing , IMO, as any green area strewn with litter - that, to me, certainly ruins any beauty. If people who use it and live near it don't care enough to keep it tidy then maybe it should be rezoned?

The path never extened across because the land was owned by the school and they would not allow it. That area was always tidy as it was maintained by the school, It was the area behind it you mentioned and that is down to Fingal and the residents. Even areas that have been rezoned still have bad fly tipping. So yeah lets build a big apartment block on it!

Now you will have to pass gangs of lads bottle necking the path, no escape lol.

dodzy wrote: »
    4.5km. Bout right for some folk.

Ok I admit I haven't walked the perimeter but I sure will give it a go:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@JPM, just a little tip for when you want to reply to several posts - click the Multi-Quote button (has a set of inverted commas and a plus sign) on each one you want to respond to, and the Quick Reply button on the last one. It'll make it much easier and quicker for you to respond.

• Advertisement

I tried but got no support, as this thread shows. The planning notice was hidden away in a spot where noone would have seen it

If thats so - that would have been reason enough to have the pp denied had anyone objected. Most likely just delayed though.
    I know personally one development that was denied planning because the sign was too far back from the road to read easily.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

@JPM, just a little tip for when you want to reply to several posts - click the Multi-Quote button (has a set of inverted commas and a plus sign) on each one you want to respond to, and the Quick Reply button on the last one. It'll make it much easier and quicker for you to respond.
    The path never extened across because the land was owned by the school and they would not allow it. That area was always tidy as it was maintained by the school, It was the area behind it you mentioned and that is down to Fingal and the residents. Even areas that have been rezoned still have bad fly tipping. So yeah lets build a big apartment block on it!

Now you will have to pass gangs of lads bottle necking the path, no escape lol.

never knew that

I dont know why you needed support JPM - every citizen is entitled to object by themselves, you just outline your reasons for objecting and submit them to the council. (and pay your 20 quid!) I've objected to a couple of things, and the planning people are quite pleasant to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I really don't see the big deal about this. You're making a mountain out of molehill...

I drove past today and they are starting to build the wall around it. You'd swear they were knocking down houses to build it.

I really don't see the big deal about this. You're making a mountain out of molehill...

Always sad to see green spaces go - I'm not familiar with that park - but I'd hate for any of our estate green spaces to be closed off for general usage - but it could be worse - its still going to be green space - just maybe not as accessible as it was. and it looks like its going to good new use...

But I'd keep an eye out for planning if/when they decide they to build a roof over it to make it all weather hall thing if you are concerned about the building aspect of it...

You could also look into "Right of Way" rights - it might still possible to challenge them to need leave a passage open if its blocking off some walking routes - again I'm not familiar with how it was - but I understand why you would be annoyed.

“Roll it back”

Thanks Gaspode. I am a long time reader but short term poster. This is much appreciated:)

If thats so - that would have been reason enough to have the pp denied had anyone objected. Most likely just delayed though.
    I know personally one development that was denied planning because the sign was too far back from the road to read easily.

As I said to Gaspode. I was not well up on planning laws but I do agree the notice was in a sneaky place.

never knew that

Me too. We both learned something today, which is good:)
    I dont know why you needed support JPM - every citizen is entitled to object by themselves, you just outline your reasons for objecting and submit them to the council. (and pay your 20 quid!) I've objected to a couple of things, and the planning people are quite pleasant to deal with.

I did't have a clue of what it entailed to be honest. I spoke to neighbours but they were not interested at all. Then it got forgotten about until now. I am reading up more on planning permissions. Again, thanks for the info.

I drove past today and they are starting to build the wall around it. You'd swear they were knocking down houses to build it.

Myabe, but molehills grow out of control. I don't wish a mole in your backyard

Taking them long enough for a simple one block wall with cappings and railings:confused: I think we have enough houses in the area in my opinion.
    Always sad to see green spaces go - I'm not familiar with that park - but I'd hate for any of our estate green spaces to be closed off for general usage - but it could be worse - its still going to be green space - just maybe not as accessible as it was. and it looks like its going to good new use...

But I'd keep an eye out for planning if/when they decide they to build a roof over it to make it all weather hall thing if you are concerned about the building aspect of it...

You could also look into "Right of Way" rights - it might still possible to challenge them to need leave a passage open if its blocking off some walking routes - again I'm not familiar with how it was - but I understand why you would be annoyed.

I just wish they had of built the railings behind the trees perimeter. Then maybe I good live with it.

I don't think a roof will be built as it, as far as I have heard will be used as a running track but that is hearsay. The shcool always used it as a running track so I can't see why they would wall it off.

I am not sure of "Right of Way" as the land is owned by the school and I have heard some ridiculous claims about it the last few days!

They are building a path between the shcool and the area itself that will allow a short cut that will be open from 8am to 5.30am but again that is hearsay and will only really benefit parents that have chidren at the school to avoid the bottle neck at collection times but not by very much.

The area will be a now go area(at peak times) for anyone unless you have to collect a child from school.

The past few nights I have experiened the bottle neck, with gangs of youths, dog walkers and lads on thier bikes all trying to use the tiny path!

Maybe they are as angry as I am and see it as their right to use that path without regard for anyone else!

So I now take the less scenic route and go the long way:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I really don't see the big deal about this.

That's because you don't put a value on space.

The simple lack-of-anything, empty, nothingness of pure space. You can never get enough of it. In an office full of people, in a busy suburb a little less clutter a little more room has a great value. In our urban sprawl we have to fill in every last square. We have to concrete over every blade of grass.

What your building might have many benefits and advantages but never forget that having nothing there at all is a resource and a prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Move to the country then... I do put a value on space but when the choice is between an open park that people can use as a short cut to get to the shops or a building where children can do P.E. in a safe, dry environment, then I'll pick the building every time. Especially, as I pointed out before, with the Irish weather. Can you imagine a group of kids doing exercise out in that rain today?

There's no shortage of green space in Hartstown, it may not be as close to his front door as J.P.M. would like but it's still there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

It would be better for the kids to play football out in the air. It did no harm to the previous several hundred generations. While their at it they should get off their lazy arses and walk to school.

Urban areas don't have to be unpleasant to live in - with a fk off to the country side if you don't like it attitude.

• Advertisement

Its not a building- its the railing off of an area previously accessable to the public.

“Roll it back”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement