Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destruction in Hartstown

Options
  • 03-07-2013 12:18am
    Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭

St. Ciaran's school Hartstown are reclaiming land. What a sad day this is. Once a nice open area will now be fenced in and creating a bottle neck at school collection times.

This was a very pleasant open area of Hartstown.

This new development will be an eyesore to all concerned and for most just a nice pleasant shortcut. Classroom space and a playground.

From what I have been told the trees will stay. Just wait until some little brat climbs the trees and get hurt. Health and safety Police in! Trees gone!

This is a sad day. I wish People of Hartstown had of kicked up a bit more. Shame on you!

We are being boxed in. Might as well move to Tyrrelstown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

any details? maps etc?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

J.P.M wrote: »
    St. Ciaran's school Hartstown are reclaiming land. What a sad day this is. Once a nice open area will now be fenced in and creating a bottle neck at school collection times.

This was a very pleasant open area of Hartstown.

This new development will be an eyesore to all concerned and for most just a nice pleasant shortcut. Classroom space and a playground.

From what I have been told the trees will stay. Just wait until some little brat climbs the trees and get hurt. Health and safety Police in! Trees gone!

This is a sad day. I wish People of Hartstown had of kicked up a bit more. Shame on you!

I can understand your concerns but surely the education of all our children is more important than an open space,

For now the trees are staying,I wouldn't be too worried about it,there are more important things in life..

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

A map would not really explain it. you would have to see it.

Kev. wrote: »
    I can understand your concerns but surely the education of all our children is more important than an open space,

For now the trees are staying,I wouldn't be too worried about it,there are more important things in life..

It is such a small space and one many enjoy. Yes education is important but not at the expense of everyone else. That will be one to tell them when they are growing up, "we can't go out and play football with you, cause there is no room"

Trust me I can see the trees going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

This is the location of the field ... there putting a fence around it at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

The whole field or just the part between the school and the road where there are no footpaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Eh, apart from your weird rant about the increase in class room space, wtf has that sentence got to do with anything ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OP I dont think there's any need for snide remarks about Tyrellstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Reading the planning application and looking at the map, am I right in thinking that only part of the open space is being taken and that the part that is being taken will be used to build sports facilities?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just looked at the planning maps and seriously, there's green areas all around there, one directly in front of the area involved in the planning. I think OP you're over-reacting a tad here.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Just looked at the planning maps and seriously, there's green areas all around there, one directly in front of the area involved in the planning. I think OP you're over-reacting a tad here.

If enough money is thrown at it then no where is safe

Gaspode wrote: »
    OP I dont think there's any need for snide remarks about Tyrellstown

It was not a snide remark, Just an obsevation. No offence meant.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Eh, apart from your weird rant about the increase in class room space, wtf has that sentence got to do with anything ?

Call it what you will, but I got it wrong, it's sports facilities now:rolleyes:

It does not change the outcome.

No disrepect meant about Tyrrelstown. We looked at properties there a few times back in the day, but found it to much of a maze. It was just my opinion. Sorry.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    This is the location of the field ... there putting a fence around it at the moment

And That is the problem with maps! It is just not a field!

Blanchguy wrote: »
    The whole field or just the part between the school and the road where there are no footpaths?

It is not a field and the footpath that now will be a bottle neck will need to be seriously adressed. It has not been maintained since it craked up due to the snow we had. How long ago was it?

dickwod1 wrote: »

You make it sound like its not a problem lol

ciaran76 wrote: »

Planning permission or not, does not make it right. Sports facilities yeah right! we have enough of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Isn't there plenty of open green space in Hartstown park? It takes at least an hour to walk the entire perimeter of that park so no shortage of green space in my opinion.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Isn't there plenty of open green space in Hartstown park? It takes at least an hour to walk the entire perimeter of that park so no shortage of green space in my opinion.

Oh yeah there is sports facilities in Hartstown park as well. By day inconsiderate dog owners letting them **** everywhere and after dark the scumbags arrive. I am talking about a walk around the block and now it is blocked by this.

An hour to get round the park? are you slow walking?

• Advertisement

I lived in Hartstown from 1985 to 2000 and if I go with your view the whole place has been destructed.
    When I went to that school we had no facilities at all so I am happy the kids have something now.

To be honest I think you are over reacting. I remember when that area you are talking about actually housed a prefab church for years.

Hartstown park is pretty big if you walk the perimeter path inside down past Woodvale and Huntstown too.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I lived in Hartstown from 1985 to 2000 and if I go with your view the whole place has been destructed.
    When I went to that school we had no facilities at all so I am happy the kids have something now.

To be honest I think you are over reacting. I remember when that area you are talking about actually housed a prefab church for years.

Hartstown park is pretty big if you walk the perimeter path inside down past Woodvale and Huntstown too.

It will be part of the school. I don't think that will make any of the kids happy. Hartstown park also used to have a house but they knocked that down.

I think everyone is under reacting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No, it's definitely you overreacting...

With the bad weather in Ireland, indoor sports facilities are a great thing to have.

There are plenty of green areas around the school for you and your family to kick a ball around in if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I think your over reacting..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Tbh, I think the green area to the rear of where they're digging is constantly littered and dirty looking - if a school facility takes it over at least there's some chance it'll look tidier! There's oodles of green space around, it's across the road from hartstown park and only a short spin/walk to millennium park for smaller kids. I've only ever seen that space be used as a shortcut to the garage/shops from the meadows estate behind it, rarely to I see it being used as a facility in itself, and if the fencing is anything to go by, there's still a big space left behind.

It will be part of the school. I don't think that will make any of the kids happy. Hartstown park also used to have a house but they knocked that down.

Have you seen the size of the PE hall in St Ciarans? Its tiny. There is a need for a better sport facility for the school considering they have many teams like football/GAA/Basketball etc.

Its not always good weather so the kids need a place to train.
    I don't know how this cannot be seen as a good thing.

The house in Hartsown park was falling into ruins when I moved there. Lots of teenagers used to be over there drinking etc at night so it became a no go area.
    Yes it would have been lovely to keep if the Council had decided to invest but they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Most of what is currently fenced off is working space and a safety cordon, I dont think its going to make an earth shattering difference to the amount of local open space when you consider the Park and the open land between the various estates. This part of Dublin 15 will still be one of the best served with recreational land

There were no objections placed to the planning prmission application - that was the time to express your opinions as to why the area shouldn't be closed off, not when permission has already been granted and work is commencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sounds like someone is miffed they will have to detour around the new fencing on their way to the pub or shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

It is such a small space and one many enjoy. Yes education is important but not at the expense of everyone else. That will be one to tell them when they are growing up, "we can't go out and play football with you, cause there is no room"

Trust me I can see the trees going.

If I were a resident there I would be insisting that the properly protect the trees they are supposed to be saving...

In our estate all the trees were damaged by road works - we lost several 300 year old trees - mosty by driving and parking tractors on the roots

All the main roots are barly under the surface of the ground and extend out very far. Any damage and they tend to die a few years after the building.

Here's an idea of the absolute mininum distance they should be marking off as a no-go area if they really intend to keep the trees... Really it should be much more.

studio+425+tree+RPA.jpg
    (Image is of some other country doing it right)

“Roll it back”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement