Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic/chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Transport fares are zero-rated for tax in the UK (makes the high fares even more ridiculous) so I can't see how it's tax-deductible. My employers offer an interest-free loan to buy a yearly pass which I pay back over the year. This works out about £15 a month cheaper than buying monthlies (Mine's Zones 2-3).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ah I see. Perhaps I got it confused. Yeah my employer does a similar scheme so it looks like I will have to sign up to that. It will save me loads in the long run I guess,

cheers

frAg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

It's Free Cone Day at Ben & Jerry's!

Participating outlets here: http://www.benjerry.co.uk/scoop-shops/free-cone-day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Just received my new passport in the post. It took less than two weeks to process (it wasn't an express application). Very impressed!

Just received my new passport in the post. It took less than two weeks to process (it wasn't an express application). Very impressed!

Thinly veiled Im going on my hols post!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

frag420 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled Im going on my hols post!!:D

If that's the game we're playing then screw everyone, I'm going to Spain tomorrow :P

(I think that means I win, yes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

In the next two months I'm going to Ireland for a week, Istanbul for 4 days, France for 5 days and Sweden for 3 days.

Do I win? :D

Ireland for the bank holiday weekend, and Turkey for two weeks in June.

Was panicking over the processing time but it was much faster than I was told. The lady in the passport office on Cromwell Rd was very nice and helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

enda1 wrote: »
    In the next two months I'm going to Ireland for a week, Istanbul for 4 days, France for 5 days and Sweden for 3 days.

Do I win? :D

Rome, Portugal, Barcelona, Venice, Portugal... Between next weekend and the end of may!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

carlingford in may.

what do i win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

carlingford in may.

what do i win?

a pint of carling next time i see you!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

carlingford in may.

what do i win?

I loved Carlingford! I spent 5-6 weeks there in 2008

I'm going to Crete next month, I can't wait to see the sun properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

carlingford in may.

what do i win?
    A chance to enjoy the Louth Massive. Check out Dundalk while you're there, it's the Paris of the north-east

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Reekwind wrote: »
    A chance to enjoy the Louth Massive. Check out Dundalk while you're there, it's the Paris of the north-east of Co. Louth

fixed that. don't deny it, termonfeckin is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22276926

Olympic Park run, a five mile run around the park which finishes in the stadium. I did this last year, running in that stadium for a lap at the end was pretty special, and Holly Willoughby was there too as an MC :cool: places go on sale in the morning and I'd guess will go quickly, i'd love to do it again but am home that weekend.

Graham Linehan was standing across from me on the Jubilee line this morning!! I was chatting to a friend, and when he heard my accent, he buried himself in his iphone :pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bit of a stupid question coming up, so bear with me!

Recently changed jobs which requires me to travel to Harrow on the Hill every morning from Aylesbury, which is costing me 19.60 return on an anytime ticket

On Friday, I accidentaly got an offpeak card costing me £13.60 return, and it worked - I only realised it on the way back that it was an off peak card. I had a google to see what the rule with off peak cards is, and it just says certain trains? Can I buy an off peak card in future, given that it is not going into central London? Went messing around with the railcard I will be getting, and if I get an off peak ticket, it would cost me £9 return, halving what I'm paying for travel, which is badly needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Off peek is after 10am and before 16:30 I think. You can use any train in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Got 2 tickets for the Ireland England match in Wembley in a few weeks if anyone would like to buy them?
    See here

Can we have a feedback thread please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Been laughing at this for half an hour. Plenty more gems if you go looking.

http://londongrumblr.co.uk/post/50565362912/when-i-am-trying-to-get-off-the-tube-and-no-one-will

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This is basically what I think of every time we start planning a new Beers:
    http://londongrumblr.co.uk/post/50644936440/the-first-time-i-went-to-bodeans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Anyone have advice for meeting new girl friends? All my friends here are work colleagues and I want to meet more people. I have looked t the likes of meetup but I back out and most events can be quite far away.

Misticles wrote: »
    Anyone have advice for meeting new girl friends? All my friends here are work colleagues and I want to meet more people. I have looked t the likes of meetup but I back out and most events can be quite far away.

As in a girl to date or a friend that is a girl?

We've had a couple of ladies only meet ups (it's been a while though!). Maybe it's time to orgainise another one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I also have to admit I hate the meet ups you have to pay for..I can see why they do it, but as soon as I see it I just go nope! Plus they are nearly all in Elephant and Castle or SW somewhere..does everyone already have friends in the East?!
    Come join us Misticles, we shall arrange a ladies meet up!

Right,who's in for a ladies met up...we do like ye lads but sometimes it's nice to get a break I'm up for a picnic with the handy pub nearby incase the weather turns!

I also have to admit I hate the meet ups you have to pay for..I can see why they do it, but as soon as I see it I just go nope! Plus they are nearly all in Elephant and Castle or SW somewhere..does everyone already have friends in the East?!
    Come join us Misticles, we shall arrange a ladies meet up!

Right,who's in for a ladies met up...we do like ye lads but sometimes it's nice to get a break I'm up for a picnic with the handy pub nearby incase the weather turns!

Love this idea! I'm going to start a thread now :D

How are the suntans working out folks? :)

I have to admit I have been finding it funny seeing all these people flock to the parks in bikinis (women) and shirts off (men). Being a Galway girl and living by the sea the only time you ever did this was when you went to the seaside.. Juts find it funny considering there's no beach in sight. Odd little things, Im sure it's the same everywhere there isnt a beach, but still.

London's parks are goregous though, without a doubt. Victoria Park last Saturday was packed but beautiful. Where'd ya all go?

• Advertisement

Graham Linehan was standing across from me on the Jubilee line this morning!! I was chatting to a friend, and when he heard my accent, he buried himself in his iphone :pac:

Speaking of Graham Linehan, have any of ye watched Count Arthur Strong on BBC2? Second ep tonight.

Advertisement