Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If you're returning anything to Chainreaction make sure you register it. Just had a wheel go missing on the way back which has gone missing and am over 100euro down all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Plumbers tape.

Have that one at home already, will try it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

If you're returning anything to Chainreaction make sure you register it. Just had a wheel go missing on the way back which has gone missing and am over 100euro down all in.

ouch! Wiggle were understanding when a couple of tyres I returned got lost in the post. Didn't get refunded for my posting costs, but they sent replacements anyway.

I've not used CRC since they got hacked that time and didn't warn me (didn't warn anyone?) that my credit card was at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Just got to know I've been bumped up to Scratch in the club league. Will have to go and meditate on rule #5 (a lot). Anyone has any tips for how to best make excuses and how to sandbag properly? :D

You've only yourself to blame. My tactic of embracing mediocrity is paying off nicely. I'm hoping to receive word about moving to Limit any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

buffalo wrote: »
    ouch! Wiggle were understanding when a couple of tyres I returned got lost in the post. Didn't get refunded for my posting costs, but they sent replacements anyway.

I've not used CRC since they got hacked that time and didn't warn me (didn't warn anyone?) that my credit card was at risk.

I'm beginning to be turned off them of late but it's more from a bitter anger, their staff respond quickly, the stuff arrives on time, they're cheap, but this one thing just really irked me (oh and they kept sending me the wrong shorts too, but that return worked out ok). Blank BMX wheel that wouldn't spin freely at all, asked if it was just a crap wheel but they couldn't say til they got it back. So, do I order again, who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The good weather certainly brings them all out. This afternoon I spotted the epitome of sartorial elegance running a red light on Earlsfort Terrace. Black bib shorts worn outside an An Post jersey is not a very good look.
    :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »

talking to a guy who worked there at the time after it was all sorted out.

Caveat "he claimed" they were never hacked, the system they had put in place did not block out numbers to staff in the office, so there was one guy, taking down the numbers for himself.

Is it hacking? not certain. They should only be able to see the last 4 numbers for confirmation etc. but could see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The good weather certainly brings them all out. This afternoon I spotted the epitome of sartorial elegance running a red light on Earlsfort Terrace. Black bib shorts worn outside an An Post jersey is not a very good look.

Some might see me midday Saturday with my shorts and baggy t-shirt panting along the road. I don't really want to spend more money on cycling gear if I'm going to drop dead on my longest ever cycle. (13km, family fun cycles are longer, I am terribly unfit. :( ) I do have a route planned that will take me past my aunt's house half way in case I need to stop for a chat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Some might see me midday Saturday with my shorts and baggy t-shirt panting along the road.

Nothing wrong with that at all, its the bibshorts outside the jersey, if your going to wear them, wear them correctly. Otherwise why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jaysis that wind on the coast road slaughtered me earlier. Nice to see so many people out on hybrids and stuff giving it a whack. The sleeveless AFL jerseys and tank tops.... Not so much.

• Advertisement

So, did my first race as a Scratch member in the club league. Have to say it was different, very different. Was used to Corkagh park just being a pure sufferfest, this time it was stop and go, more stop than go though. I think we might have done less laps than the L/SL guys. Two lads broke away early on and almost lapped us towards the end. Vary hairy sprint for 3rd place ensued. Came in 4th at the end. One more thing to practice now, throwing the bike to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well done Hmmzis, very impressive out there tonight. Don't feel bad about nearly being lapped by Downey, he's a machine. On one lap I called out a ten-second lead for a guy, Downey chased him down and caught him in half a lap. Where a full lap is 100 seconds, closing a 10 second gap in half that is elite level pace. 4th place in a scratch race, bit of winter training and you could easily be competing with Downey this time next year.

The first race in a while where the L/SL race seemed kind of fair (i.e. you weren't in it :D) and I happen to marshalling. Bah. Though wasn't loving that headwind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Not sure if this would better put in the 'Today I did something to my bike' thread or here but since it's not of positive kind I'll just throw it in here.

Yesterday in the club league I managed to break my bike's frame. I suspect it was during the sprint finish, I would have noticed otherwise. Don't think it could have happened in the car. Stepped on it this morning and the moment I started pedalling there was this massive tyre rubbing noise. Stepped off, checked front - all fine, checked back - odd movement of the wheel. First thought was bearings have gone to bits, but then to my horror I noticed the drive side chain stay had snapped cleanly off at the axle/hanger place.

Anyone has a cheap road frame for sale?

Here's the pic of it, doesn't look like images can be attached when editing a post.

What make is it and how old is it?

A lot of manufacturers take this kind of thing really seriously (frame integrity being the core of a good bike) and will replace any broken frame regardless of how old it is. Sometimes for free if it's new enough, other times they'll send a new frame at cost.

If it's less than five years old, that's the first thing I'd do - ring the manufacturer.

seamus wrote: »
    What make is it and how old is it?

A lot of manufacturers take this kind of thing really seriously (frame integrity being the core of a good bike) and will replace any broken frame regardless of how old it is. Sometimes for free if it's new enough, other times they'll send a new frame at cost.

If it's less than five years old, that's the first thing I'd do - ring the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info. It's an older BH model in G2 replica colours. It's a basic enough frame. Would this frame waranty still apply if it was second hand and used in racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Thanks for the info. It's an older BH model in G2 replica colours. It's a basic enough frame. Would this frame waranty still apply if it was second hand and used in racing?

sorry to hear second hand frames not covered under warrenty, think be worth your while buying new frame for yourself and then you will be covered if it happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I broke the seat post collar on my Road Bike last night, am I likely to be able to get a decent replacement in an LBS in Dublin City Center today or is this going to be annoying to find? Any suggestions where to go?

EDIT: total noob question, got sorted with seat clamps all over the place :pac:

manafana wrote: »
    sorry to hear second hand frames not covered under warrenty, think be worth your while buying new frame for yourself and then you will be covered if it happens again.
    Doesn't hurt to give them a ring though. The worst thing that could happen is they say, "Sorry, can't help". :)

In fact, an email with photos is probably better than a phone call - it's easier to get the information across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

seamus wrote: »
    Well done Hmmzis, very impressive out there tonight. Don't feel bad about nearly being lapped by Downey, he's a machine. On one lap I called out a ten-second lead for a guy, Downey chased him down and caught him in half a lap. Where a full lap is 100 seconds, closing a 10 second gap in half that is elite level pace. 4th place in a scratch race, bit of winter training and you could easily be competing with Downey this time next year.

The first race in a while where the L/SL race seemed kind of fair (i.e. you weren't in it :D) and I happen to marshalling. Bah. Though wasn't loving that headwind.

Where you the guy in badges with the stop watch. I thought your name was different - Seamus ain't your real name.

If that was you I was the guy in black that went for the death or glory break from the gun and promptly blew up.

Great fun though. Will try same tactic again in a few weeks.

Yes, my real name is not seamus. :) I was chatting to you after you dropped out. To be fair, 45 minutes is a long time on that circuit. People ride it like they're in a TT.

Interesting to marshall it though and actually watch what's going on. The pace difference between the L/SL bunch and the S/SS bunch isn't that much, the tactics are just so different.

The L/SL bunch rode really consistently, laps of 1:40 - 1:45 basically for the entire thing. But they didn't work together at all. It fragmented really badly, every time they crossed the line, it was a blob of riders rather than a nice neat line, riders constantly jostling for position. When any pair was left out on their own, rather than work together to catch up, they constantly fought eachother, falling further behind.

The S/SS bunch for the first ten laps had really inconsistent times. You'd get 1:38/1:35/1:52, then someone would try and break from the slow bunch and drag the pace back up for two laps before the while bunch dropped back to a 1:5X lap again. But they stuck together much more rigidly and would cross the line in much more of an even pace line. With only short gaps between the groups. Then the two leaders pulled off and pulled 1:37ish laps consistently while the bunch pulled 1:40 laps consistently. Which isn't that different from the L/SL group, just the discipline and co-operation within the group was a whole different ball game; people realising that if you go for glory you can't escape, you'll only kill yourself.

Optimal positioning appears to be in the front third of the group - you're not killing yourself to try and escape the group, but if someone does make a break for it, you're not too far back to give chase. My typical position at the rear of the group tends to leave me with a long chase when someone makes a break, which ultimately I pay for later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Nice to meet you.
    Thing is I thought long and hard about a break yesterday. I have tried it in most races and hurt afterwards and only twice has it stuck - but that is because 7 or 8 people came with me.

The thing is if one has only one pace and ninsprint and is version slow, then there is zero risk and lots of fun by going for an early break. Sure a more astute rider will sit in and wait for the right moment, but right now I don't have the legs for that. So smart as it might ne I can't pull it off. That being the case why sit in and simply chug around until the pace cranks up and I eventually lose concentration and get dropped.

Might as well crank it up from the get go.
    It was fun. I wi try again with the aim of staying away longer and if I'm caught to sit in with the group until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Interesting as it is, you orwellers really need a dedicated league thread :pac:

Orwell races are practically boards spins at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Idleater wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there was one, but they must have felt not enough people were reading it so they infiltrated the busiest thread in the cycling subforum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idleater wrote: »

If only Orwell had some sort of online forum... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was in the Grange in Ballyboughal a couple of years ago with Mrs WA when two cyclists came in - both with bib shorts over their jerseys. To make it worse, they rolled down the shoulder straps while eating. It was horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Here's the pic of it, doesn't look like images can be attached when editing a post.

Bummer man, I did the exact same to a frame a few years ago, got it rewelded but it failed again after 6 months so went to the bin. Not easy to get a good weld in that spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My one picture review of the Lidl Chainbreaker after its first use.

(No it didn't open my chain either)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement