Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

How long is it acceptable to procrastinate for?

Why do Storck not make frames in 56?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Plastik wrote: »

Depends if its me, or anyone else on the site....I've become the master of procrastination, in almost all aspects of my life!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

doozerie wrote: »
    Interesting account here of this year's Rás as experienced by one of the IG Sigma riders who crashed heavily and had to abandon. He mentions:

I presume that was RobFowl that bore the brunt of that subsequent collision? As if the job of treating others was not difficult enough the risk of being hurt yourself is obviously significant. In casually wondering how tough a job that really is the danger aspect of it never really occurred to me. Respect to RobFowl!

Yep that was me, He wrote of a deep section carbon fibre front wheel hitting me......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

At least one more day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

At least one more day.

Mmm, I dunno, I might procrastinate now or I might leave it till tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Zyzz wrote: »
    I had a guy beep me going down Howth hill while both of us @ 60km/h.. :(

I had two men in a white can thank me for remaining vigilant during a descent there. They were pretty nice about. It pays to keep an eye over your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What do they do, 55 and 57 is it? My Storck must have been 55... can't actually remember though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Courier arrives with a small parcel for me this afternoon, which was greeted by rolling eyes from the wife, a few tsks from eldest daughter, and an exasperated "not more bike parts?" from the youngest. But no! It was a pedicure product I'd spotted during a Eurosport add break, as herself was complaining about sore heels. Many abashed looks from my women folk, as I put on the smuggest smile I've worn for some time. Now, what do I need next for the bike.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    Courier arrives with a small parcel for me this afternoon, which was greeted by rolling eyes from the wife, a few tsks from eldest daughter, and an exasperated "not more bike parts?" from the youngest
    :eek:

Bike related stuff should always be delivered to a work address! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think I'll make a decision tomorrow. Or the day after.

Storck do their sizings in 55 & 57. The geo is fairly similar to the 56 Planet X in terms of effective top tube etc on some models but theres fairly wild differences in the head tube, 139 for the 55, 162 for the 57 (165 for the Planet X). 57's sold out in a lot of places but a lot of 55's around, but I think they're too small. Even with a long stem the front would be too low and I'd have to go with a positive stem angle ... :eek: ... or a lot of spacers to get the position right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

:eek:

Bike related stuff should always be delivered to a work address! ;)
    I've said it before and I will say it again.
    Parcel Motel was designed exclusivley for getting bike parts delivered undetected.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Yep that was me, He wrote of a deep section carbon fibre front wheel hitting me......
    Jaysus. Didnt know that.
    Shocking.
    I mean Deep section cf wheels are bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

manafana wrote: »
    lennymc wrote:
    *stuff*
    speaking of a man who would overtake cars at 60kmph :)

I've watched him do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭buffalo

I love those few days after a target race when I can eat whatever the hell I want. I had pancakes for dinner yesterday, followed by banoffee with extra cream. I felt ill, but that didn't stop me eating all the cake tonight. Just munching my way through an entire packet of fig rolls now... om nom nom...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    I love those few days after a target race when I can eat whatever the hell I want. I had pancakes for dinner yesterday, followed by banoffee with extra cream. I felt ill, but that didn't stop me eating all the cake tonight. Just munching my way through an entire packet of fig rolls now... om nom nom...

Based on another racer from the recent past, eating alot of figs can have some undesired results. Someone must have a picture, I have a funny feeling someone said it was lucky he was an AG2R rider or possibly unlucky he wasn't, to sum up without a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CramCycle wrote: »
    Based on another racer from the recent past, eating alot of figs can have some undesired results. Someone must have a picture, I have a funny feeling someone said it was lucky he was an AG2R rider or possibly unlucky he wasn't, to sum up without a picture.

Pretty sure it was and FDJ rider :eek:

Thought it was a quick Step rider in Paris Roubaix

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....and LeMond in the '86 TDF - last 60kms with brown streaks down his legs! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

FYP :D
    bcmf wrote: »
    Thought it was a Quick Shiit rider in Paris Runnix

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Long story short, eat alot of figs, and you will probably mess yourself.

Don't do it on a bicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this guy just gets better and better :eek:

nice extra bonus features so watch those too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm glad for the comfy chairs in the office. After cycling for the first time in a year yesterday my arse is killing me. Padded shorts don't look too well as about-town and office wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Interesting video on carbon fibre, really helped me to understand the qualities of it.
    What is carbon fibre

So, what's the best all-rounder ? ie. a bike that gives you strength, lightness, stiffness, acceleration, speed (aerodynamic-ness) and of course comfort.
    /any pro bike says you
    But are there big/big-ish differences in pro bikes aswell, ie. say Cavendish's sprint machine to Sagan's all-rounder to Froome's climbing motorbike ?

/end confused.ie :o
    Actually part of my confusion/intrigue-ness comes from the fact I've never ridden a carbon bike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IM0 wrote: »
    this guy just gets better and better :eek:

nice extra bonus features so watch those too
    I remember being 16/17, BMX rider, all into X games and eurosport and all that. Then one day I saw this guy on TV, only a kid, 13 or 14, completely blowing seasoned trials riders out of the water. And I don't think at that stage he'd been riding trials very long, just pricking about at home, and competing in some national trials. I think he got about 30 seconds on some random eurosport show back then. But at that point, watching this guy, I knew I was only ever going to be able to ride bikes for fun :)

Saw him a few times over the last ten years or so again on random spots on obscureish shows. I'm surprised he didn't become well known earlier than he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

seamus wrote: »
    I remember being 16/17, BMX rider, all into X games and eurosport and all that. Then one day I saw this guy on TV, only a kid, 13 or 14, completely blowing seasoned trials riders out of the water. And I don't think at that stage he'd been riding trials very long, just pricking about at home, and competing in some national trials. I think he got about 30 seconds on some random eurosport show back then. But at that point, watching this guy, I knew I was only ever going to be able to ride bikes for fun :)

Saw him a few times over the last ten years or so again on random spots on obscureish shows. I'm surprised he didn't become well known earlier than he did.

he makes walking with a balance bar on a tightrope over the grand canyon look like a cake walk. he is truely phenominal. absolutely mind boggling some of the tricks he does. just to pick one part.... rolling over [arse over tit] the red BALANCE ball and flipping and landing on ONE 3 inch railway track :confused: woulod love to know how many takes that one took!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

IMO wrote:
    woulod love to know how many takes that one took!

I think it is mentioned somewhere that some of the stunts required 200-ish takes. Which doesn't reflect poorly on his (phenomenal) skill, rather it reflects very well on his impressive courage since some/many of those mishaps must have hurt a lot. Not only is he amazing to watch perform, his apparently limitless optimism and positive attitude generally would chip away at the grumpiest of moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I am sure this has been on here before but he has nearly as good of control of the bike as I have

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/07/02/she-had-a-a-lovely-figure-in-fairness/

This (above) is a portrait by Fairburn, from 1815, showing an Irish lady of striking appearance and mysterious antecedents, described in the following terms:-
    “[a] most extraordinary female about twenty years of age.. born in Ireland and of high family and fortune… her body and limbs are of the most perfect and beautiful shape but her head and face resembles that of a pig… She eats her victuals out of a silver trough, in the same manner that pigs do, and when spoken to by any of her relatives or her companion, she can only answer by a grunt. .”

and I love this bit......

There aren’t too many Atkinson's in Ireland; perhaps he was one of the Antrim ones. The Atkinson's don’t seem to have had any descendants, or at least none similarly afflicted…

Hope there are no Atkinson's posting here who might be offended ......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hottest weather girl (woman/person?) alive involved in slight technical blip. She brightens up my day:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ah no no.. if you haven't seen the ridiculous greek one.. you know nothing. It even gets slightly NSFW.

I apologize on behalf of my people...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement