Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

furiousox wrote: »
    Quick question.
    I'm a trim 85kg and running 23mm michelin pro 3s @ 100psi
    I've got myself a new pair of pro 4s @25mm
    What's the recommended psi for 25mm tyres, is it lower than 23mm tyres?

It should be printed on the side wall but I don't think there is any difference. I am the same weight and I pump my 25s upto 120psi. Mine are 100 recommended but 120 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I go between 90 and 100 for 25mm tyres. For that velvety soft feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm closer to 90kg and I pump 25mms to 110. Found 120 to be way too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Views differ on tyre pressure but traditionally people believed higher pressure was better (i.e. faster). In recent years though that view has been challenged by various studies and the trend amongst many is to use lower pressure. For what it's worth, here is a simple guide from Michelin, though not all such guides agree either:

pressurechart121405B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Put latex tubes and you can run them even lower for extra plush effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

New York's bike docks are apparently proving very versatile. I like the bit about the kids "racing" on the docked bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ThisRegard wrote: »

surprised dublin is as high as 11th, while much good work is being done to encourage people onto bikes id hope theirs alot more to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I enjoyed this little video, cant figure out if the accent is put on or not ?
    http://www.wimp.com/tourfrance/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Does anyone live IN Swords? I know there are Swords members, but I won't be able to get out there any time soon and I'm looking for a MASSIVE favour.

PM me for details!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just spent 15 minutes ogling frames on Ribble. Does this way lie madness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just spent 15 minutes ogling frames on Ribble. Does this way lie madness?

Only if you don't buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lumen wrote: »

:)

im going out to try that tomorrow. expect an epic fail! At least ill be 14.3% more aero on the way down.

lennymc wrote: »
    :)

im going out to try that tomorrow. expect an epic fail! At least ill be 14.3% more aero on the way down.

As they load you into the ambulance you'll be screaming "Keep the helmet on, we'll get there faster!".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been doing those tests in Trinity of late, and I've learned a couple of things about myself.

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W), and yet my season has been off the hook. Numbers aren't all that matter, it seems.

And when I write down what I actually eat day to day, there's a lot of packets of biscuits in there. Which explain why I'm so fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been doing those tests in Trinity of late, and I've learned a couple of things about myself.

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W), and yet my season has been off the hook. Numbers aren't all that matter, it seems.

And when I write down what I actually eat day to day, there's a lot of packets of biscuits in there. Which explain why I'm so fat.

Did you get tested in Trinity last year, or elsewhere?

colm_gti wrote: »
    Did you get tested in Trinity last year, or elsewhere?

Same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seeing as you know me in real life, I am going to warn you, 4 years ago I was in good shape (not hill climbing champion shape but not terrible either), then I went down the road you are on, and well, you've seen me, stay away from the biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Mmmmmmm. Biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Jeez, 13% body fat, that's impressive. I wish I was as "fat" as that :D.

• Advertisement

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W)

VO2Max is per kg, so you're probably just fatter.

Since you're in oversharing mode, what's your current weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've managed to kick the biscuit habit. Just don't have them in the house - ever - it's the easiest solution.

The 'habit' I'm trying to kick at the moment is Lidl Rice Crispies

flakes_crownfield_ricesnaps.jpg

I'm a fiend for them - I cut back from 2 bowls to 1 bowl before bed a couple of weeks ago, and none for breakfast, and now trying to kick the habit of that last bowl before bed.

I'm seriously thinking they've a hidden addictive ingredient in them. Maybe it's just the sugar, have cut out a lot of sugar in the diet.

Lumen wrote: »
    VO2Max is per kg, so you're probably just fatter.

Since you're in oversharing mode, what's your current weight?

Sharing is caring! Around the 61kg mark. Little less some days (60.x).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

joker77 wrote: »
    I've managed to kick the biscuit habit. Just don't have them in the house - ever - it's the easiest solution.

The 'habit' I'm trying to kick at the moment is Lidl Rice Crispies

I'm a fiend for them - I cut back from 2 bowls to 1 bowl before bed a couple of weeks ago, and none for breakfast, and now trying to kick the habit of that last bowl before bed.

I'm seriously thinking they've a hidden addictive ingredient in them. Maybe it's just the sugar, have cut out a lot of sugar in the diet.

Are you serious? they are filthy! I bought a box of them last week thinking now could mess up rice crispies but they did! they will be in the cupboard for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lots of meh about keys and stuff at the beginning but the idea that a stolen bike could be made findable by anyone with a smartphone and the right app is interesting. The tile doesn't look like it'd fit down a seattube in its current form factor but I bet it could be bodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    The tile doesn't look like it'd fit down a seattube in its current form factor but I bet it could be bodged.

Your downtube obviously ain't big enough then -it'd easily go in by the bottom bracket on mine :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Your downtube obviously ain't big enough then -it'd easily go in by the bottom bracket on mine :cool:

My bottom bracket is bigger than yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

colm_gti wrote: »
    My bottom bracket is bigger than yours!

bike mechanic could beat up your bike mechanic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

my gear ratio is bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone gone down to Rothar for fixing your own bike? I need to remove a crankset and bb from a frame and put them on my new one when it arrives, but it's 20 quid in tools or 35 or so in the LBS. Rothar says it's a fiver an hour for the space and tools so if it's any use it'd be a good bit cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement