Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,442 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

National Lampoon's Vacation RTE 2 11.30pm

Bandits is on BBC 1 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Man Who Fell to Earth - BBC2 Saturday at 10.50 after the David Bowie documentary.

Greenzone is on RTE 1 tonight at 9.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Leaving Las Vegas is on tonight at 11:15.

Unforgiven is on ITV4 at 11:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 madfred

No idea what this is like so not a recommendation as such but looks like it could be interesting. On RTE late tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169083/

Michael Collins is on TV3 at 9pm tonight

The Hangover Part I is on TV3 tomorrow night at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Changeling on now RTE 1, excellent movie based on a true story

Pineapple Express is on TV3 now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sky 1, 10PM Sat: Hudson Hawk (1991). Bruce Willis, Danny Aiello, Andie MacDowell, James Coburn, Richard E. Grant & more in a comic thriller. It's partly a Bruce Willis vanity project, in which he gets to sing a bit, too. Wikipedia description:
    The plot combines material based on conspiracy theories, secret societies, and historic mysteries, as well as outlandish "clockpunk" technology à la Coburn's Our Man Flint movies of the 1960s.

It may have bombed badly at the box office, been panned by critics (22% on Rotten Tomatoes), won three (3) Razzie awards and helped to bankrupt TriStar Pictures, but it's still a great fun Saturday Night film. In my opinion, that is. :cool:

Here's what Siskel & Ebert thought:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Marathon Man is on RTE1 on Sunday Night (early Monday) at 12.10am

Excellent film, I haven't seen it on TV in ages.
    A college undergraduate training for a marathon is drawn into a shady world of espionage by his secret agent brother and a Nazi war criminal searching for a cache of stolen diamonds - entangling the student in a plot involving kidnap, torture and political intrigue. John Schlesinger's thriller, starring Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier and Roy Scheider. Based on the novel by William Goldman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bnt wrote: »
    Sky 1, 10PM Sat: Hudson Hawk (1991). Bruce Willis, Danny Aiello, Andie MacDowell, James Coburn, Richard E. Grant & more in a comic thriller. It's partly a Bruce Willis vanity project, in which he gets to sing a bit, too. Wikipedia description:

It may have bombed badly at the box office, been panned by critics (22% on Rotten Tomatoes), won three (3) Razzie awards and helped to bankrupt TriStar Pictures, but it's still a great fun Saturday Night film. In my opinion, that is. :cool:

I remember my cousin has a commodore 64 game of Hudson Hawk. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Flashbacks of a Fool is on Rte 1 at the moment. Interesting film starring Daniel Craig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Law Abiding Citizen is on RTE one tonight at 9:35pm

BBC2, Sat 10PM: A Serious Man (2009). A fairly personal project from the Coen Brothers, an explicitly Jewish look at Life, the Universe and Everything.

See also the (mostly) appreciation thread here. Beware of spoilers, though this is the kind of film that spoilers don't really spoil. You're invited to derive your own interpretation of events from what you see and hear, and your own knowledge and experiences will influence them. In my case, I have an interest in history, and so I saw the date of the setting as significant: we are shown a calendar turned to June 1967, the month in which Israel fought the Six-Day War.

Watch out for Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) as the junior rabbi who finds wisdom in the parking lot ... ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Andrea Arnold's Wuthering Heights is on Film 4 on Monday night. A very different take on the classic story, and much more in keeping with the dark tone of the novel than any other version I've seen.

Still not sure if I actually like it or not though, but it's worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the Deer Hunter is on utv tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Before Sunrise - the first film in the cycle that has culminated in this week's extraordinary Before Midnight - is on BBC1 at 11.25 tonight. It's not quite as memorable as the subsequent sequels, but there's moments of real beauty in it too, and of course it's vital viewing to set up the gorgeous follow-ups. Watch it, seek out Before Sunset and make sure to catch the wonderful third entry before it exits the cinema.

TV3, Sat. 11:15PM: One Hour Photo. Robin Williams in a serious role, as a lonely man who becomes obsessed with a seemingly "perfect" family after developing their photos. Genuinely unnerving, from what I remember, with Wlliams not even remotely comical.
    One Hour Photo is on again tonight: TG4, 9:45PM Sat.

Also: Heat is on RTE2, 9PM. Long, but worth it.

If you get Film4, some films worth your time:
    - 6:10 PM Sat, The Hunt for Red October. Still the best Tom Clancy adaptation yet, in my opinion, starring Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones, and Sean Connery's Russian accent.
    - 11:05PM Sat: Scanners - which I haven't seen yet, a cult classic by David Cronenberg.
    - 11:00AM Sun: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Dir. Stanley Kubrick, with Peter Sellers in three roles, Slim Pickens, Sterling Hayden, and George C. Scott. The Cold War and the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) was so serious, the only way to tackle it properly was with the blackest of black comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

One Hour Photo is on again tonight: TG4, 9:45PM Sat.

Also: Heat is on RTE2, 9PM. Long, but worth it.

Watching it now.
    The Heist/Gunfight sequences are amazing.
    So many good performances as well.
    Love Mann's direction.

• Advertisement

Tombstone 12am BBC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Training Day on tv3 tonight @ 9pm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The Running Man on film four now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Kill List" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_List

on Film 4 tonight at about 10:40.

"A Field in England" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_in_England

on Film 4 tomorrow night at about the same time, the same day it's released in the cinema, on dvd and vod!

Both films directed by Ben Wheatley.

See No Evil Hear No Evil TV3 11.15pm

Klute is about to start on RTE Two.

One of those great, paranoid 1970s thrillers that Hollywood used to make.
    Indeed - and it's on again tonight, BBC1 @ 12:15AM. Jane Fonda's performance won her the Oscar for Best Actress in 1971.

If you get Film4, two good films on today:
    - The Iron Giant (14:50): excellent animation, with a family-friendly story that isn't just for kids. This is what Brad Bird did between some Simpsons episodes and The Incredibles.
    - The Searchers (16:30): classic John Ford Western starring John Wayne as a Civil War veteran, who spends years obsessively searching for his niece after she was captured by a Comanche tribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Oslo, 31 August - BBC4 10pm

Very good Norwegian film about a recovering drug addict. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Oslo, 31 August - BBC4 10pm

Very good Norwegian film about a recovering drug addict. Well worth a watch.

Is that August 2013 or 2014?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is that August 2013 or 2014?

Oslo, 31 August is the title of the film. It's on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Truly amazing film, that. Among my favorites so far this decade.

Advertisement