Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Birneybau wrote: »
    "Kill List" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_List

on Film 4 tonight at about 10:40.

"A Field in England" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_in_England

on Film 4 tomorrow night at about the same time, the same day it's released in the cinema, on dvd and vod!

Both films directed by Ben Wheatley.

A Field in England - that was something else. I can see that garnering cult classic status and much kudos over the coming years. Which is a pity because it deserves a wider audience. Creepy, funny and very strange - the imagery will stick in your mind. Actually, although it's set in the English Civil War, it kind of reminded me a bit of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're up really late, or have a recorder: Broadcast News is on RTE1 at 01:30. Holly Hunter, William Hurt, Albert Brooks, and Jack Nicholson pops in. Haven't seen this in years, but remember liking it.

Decent Sunday daytime films:

RTE1 2:20PM: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It's got Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe, what more do you need to know?
    Looks like Doris Day told Marilyn to Move Over, Darling. Ironically, Doris took over this role, originally intended for Marilyn Monroe who was fired, re-hired, but then died before filming could resume. Someone on the RTE scheduling team has a weird sense of humour. :cool:

UTV 2:25PM: Always. Possibly Steven Spielberg's weirdest film, his remake of A Guy Named Joe. Richard Dreyfuss plays a pilot of fire-fighting planes in the USA, who takes one risk too many and turns this in to a ghost story. With Holly Hunter, John Goodman, and Audrey Hepburn in her last screen role.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wall Street 12.35am RTE 1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Grrrrrr! Away for 2 weeks and two films I've been dying to see are on. Had the channels where I was too, just no access to this thread to inform me they were on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Grrrrrr! Away for 2 weeks and two films I've been dying to see are on. Had the channels where I was too, just no access to this thread to inform me they were on :(

Come on, spill.

• Advertisement

^ Iron Giant, and Oslo August 31st.

I even have The Iron Giant in my film4 reminder service thingy but they never told me it was on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

'I Went Down' on TV3 tomorrow night 9.45pm.

In the Electric Mist is on TV3 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

old hippy wrote: »
    A Field in England - that was something else. I can see that garnering cult classic status and much kudos over the coming years. Which is a pity because it deserves a wider audience. Creepy, funny and very strange - the imagery will stick in your mind. Actually, although it's set in the English Civil War, it kind of reminded me a bit of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

Best film I have seen in many years, blew me away - funny thing is I dunno if I could watch it again, its mental. I will give it a watch in a year or so after I recover.

I loved it, watched it with me brother who hated it when it started to go mental.

This Ben Wheatly chap is a man to watch, I love the vibe he creates, dark as pitch.

I Am Legend RTE 1 tonight 9.30pm

• Advertisement

Animal Kingdom is on Channel 4 at 11:45 tonight. Short notice but I only just saw it on the guide. Excellent Aussie drama, I think I recommend it every time it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

28 Days RTE1 9.30 pm
    28 Days Later TnG 9.30 pm

:p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    See No Evil Hear No Evil TV3 11.15pm

And again TV3 showing it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ See no Evil, Hear no Evil - Enjoyable Movie :)

I'm away next week so was checking to see if I wanted to record anything and spotted these...

Side by Side is on Film 4 on Monday night at 10:50pm.

Documentary fronted (made?) by Keanu Reeves where he basically talks to a boat load of film makers about the advance of film technology and particularly the move over to digital from film.

I haven't actually seen it yet myself but I read lots of good things about it so I'm looking forward to watching it.

A Town Called Panic is on Film 4 on Thursday at 11am.
    Surreal stop motion Belgian film about a cowboy a horse and an Indian. I found it absolutely hilarious and delightful the first time I saw it. Highly recommend setting your DVR's for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Saw an add for 50 Dead Men Walking on TV3 tonight at 9pm, haven't seen it, is it worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Seen bits of Side by Side last night on Film4 and it was an interesting flick. Basically comparing digital to film and the whole issue of archiving. Lots of top directors in it.

The Impostor is on Thursday at 9pm on channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Unknown tonight as well, love that film.

Ramona and Beezus just started on RTÉ2. Great family film, stop everything you're doing and watch it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 McGeough123

The Shawshank Redemption is on ITV 2 tonight at 9.

Clueless is on E4/E4+ 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More proof that the RTE1 schedulers have a warped sense of humour: with all the current concern about the nuclear reactors in Fukushima, Japan, they're showing The China Syndrome tonight (12:25am). Nice. :eek:

This afternoon, I'm going to catch Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? on TG4, 15:30. One of those films that has become a reference in other films: whenever there's one sibling mentally terrorising another, the comparison is made.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

The 51st State is on BBC 1 tonight at 11.50pm

3:10 to Yuma (new version with Bale and Crowe) is on RTE 2 at 9pm

Crazy Heart is on RTE 1 at 9.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is on Channel 4 at 9.20pm.

Best Terminator ever made imo, and definitely one of the rare movies that falls into the sequel-better-than-the-original category.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Col200sx wrote: »
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day is on Channel 4 at 9.20pm.

Best Terminator ever made imo, and definitely one of the rare movies that falls into the sequel-better-than-the-original category.

Watching it now.
    One of my favourite films.
    Has everything.
    Great special effects (for its time and even now).
    Great story- some serious themes there in fairness.
    Great cinematography.
    And of course Arnie.
    Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Watching it now.
    One of my favourite films.
    Has everything.
    Great special effects (for its time and even now).
    Great story- some serious themes there in fairness.
    Great cinematography.
    And of course Arnie.
    Love it.

Also, it hasn't aged a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's amazing how many high budget films from that era that can easily escape scrutiny in relation to their effects. Another good example is Starship Troopers, 16 years old this year.

That said, effects have progressed far beyond what the average movie suggests; although I found Elysium average as a movie, on the effects front, it's an astounding achievement worthy of recognition upon that front alone.

• Advertisement

The Snapper TV3 tonight at 9pm

Advertisement