Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Colin Walsh would be another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Eoin Kelly gave a master class at midfield in a great under 21 win over Tipperary in Thurles in 2000 when he was still a minor. However, I doubt if any minors would be used by the under 21s while they are still in the minor championship. Besides, the current under 21s have been playing a lot of matches without any minors and it would be difficult to bring any into the panel at this stage without causing friction. In any case, the under 21 panel this year is very strong (at least on paper) and it is hard to see where there would be an opening for any minors.

For what it is worth, I think all of the following are under 21 and in the Waterford panel. If there are any errors or omissions I would be glad to hear of them:
    Seánie Barry and Darren Duggan (goalkeepers)
    Barry Coughlan
    Stephen O’Keeffe (the other one)
    Shane Roche
    Tom Curran
    Ian Kenny
    Tadhg Bourke
    Shane McNulty
    Ray Barry
    Paudie Prendergast
    Kieran Power
    Jim Power
    Colin Dunford
    Darragh Fives
    Shane Ryan
    Gavin O’Brien
    Donie Breathnach
    Pauric Mahony
    Eamonn Murphy
    Cormac Heffernan
    Jake Dillon
    Jamie Barron
    Stephen Roche
    Jack Lyons
    Kieran Bennett
    Barry O’Sullivan
    Ryan Donnelly
    Ray Ó Ceallaigh
    Paul Coughlan

I don’t know what the story is with Eoin Madigan, but if he was available he would be a hell of an addition.

This to me is, like the minors, a panel with immense potential if it can be harnessed and focused properly. However, we have had many panels in recent years which fit this description but which failed to deliver on the night (the 2009 team being an exception). Peter Queally seems to have been doing a lot of work with them and working well with Michael Ryan. I believe there was a real hammer and thongs game between the under 21s and seniors a couple of Sundays ago which is great to hear. Any further intelligence would be welcome as they prepare for their home game against Clare on July 18 next.

the only pity is theyve been drawn against a super Clare team with most of their u21 AI winning team from last year still on the age. I think wed have the measure of the other 3 Munster counties but seriously up against it with Clare, even with home advantage. Still, heres hoping for a big performance to at least bury the demons of last years horror show in Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Eoin Kelly gave a master class at midfield in a great under 21 win over Tipperary in Thurles in 2000 when he was still a minor. However, I doubt if any minors would be used by the under 21s while they are still in the minor championship. Besides, the current under 21s have been playing a lot of matches without any minors and it would be difficult to bring any into the panel at this stage without causing friction. In any case, the under 21 panel this year is very strong (at least on paper) and it is hard to see where there would be an opening for any minors.

For what it is worth, I think all of the following are under 21 and in the Waterford panel. If there are any errors or omissions I would be glad to hear of them:
    Seánie Barry and Darren Duggan (goalkeepers)
    Barry Coughlan
    Stephen O’Keeffe (the other one)
    Shane Roche
    Tom Curran
    Ian Kenny
    Tadhg Bourke
    Shane McNulty
    Ray Barry
    Paudie Prendergast
    Kieran Power
    Jim Power
    Colin Dunford
    Darragh Fives
    Shane Ryan
    Gavin O’Brien
    Donie Breathnach
    Pauric Mahony
    Eamonn Murphy
    Cormac Heffernan
    Jake Dillon
    Jamie Barron
    Stephen Roche
    Jack Lyons
    Kieran Bennett
    Barry O’Sullivan
    Ryan Donnelly
    Ray Ó Ceallaigh
    Paul Coughlan

I don’t know what the story is with Eoin Madigan, but if he was available he would be a hell of an addition.

This to me is, like the minors, a panel with immense potential if it can be harnessed and focused properly. However, we have had many panels in recent years which fit this description but which failed to deliver on the night (the 2009 team being an exception). Peter Queally seems to have been doing a lot of work with them and working well with Michael Ryan. I believe there was a real hammer and thongs game between the under 21s and seniors a couple of Sundays ago which is great to hear. Any further intelligence would be welcome as they prepare for their home game against Clare on July 18 next.
    Madigan was warming up for de la salle when they were playing ring about 3 weeks ago, I presume he should be availible v clare in a few weeks! Can see aussie gleeson getting called up to the u21 panel maybe even in the forward line? Plenty of backs in that list above and he's playing there for mount sion in the senior championship and going well, good option to have wing forward as a ball winner

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Madigan was warming up for de la salle when they were playing ring about 3 weeks ago, I presume he should be availible v clare in a few weeks! Can see aussie gleeson getting called up to the u21 panel maybe even in the forward line? Plenty of backs in that list above and he's playing there for mount sion in the senior championship and going well, good option to have wing forward as a ball winner

He didn't play against Fourmilewater. I can't see him starting anyway, sure he can't have enough done. Quite possible he won't play at all.

He didn't play against Fourmilewater. I can't see him starting anyway, sure he can't have enough done. Quite possible he won't play at all.
    I know I said he was warming up

• Advertisement

I know I said he was warming up

You said against An Rinn. I was just saying that he didn't play any part in their most recent game. The fact they won that quite comfortably and they still wouldn't risk him suggests to me that he's still a bit away from it yet. With all the preparation the u21s have gone through, I'd say he won't play any part in the match against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

What happened him anyway. Last time I see him he was hopping over the fence in carriganore to come on as a sub in the waterford crystal game against UL. Since then it's like he disappered.

You said against An Rinn. I was just saying that he didn't play any part in their most recent game. The fact they won that quite comfortably and they still wouldn't risk him suggests to me that he's still a bit away from it yet. With all the preparation the u21s have gone through, I'd say he won't play any part in the match against Clare.
    sorry I meant fourmilewater, they played rinn in the 1st round dunno what I was thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Can see aussie gleeson getting called up to the u21 panel maybe even in the forward line? Plenty of backs in that list above and he's playing there for mount sion in the senior championship and going well, good option to have wing forward as a ball winner

I hope hes not I dont think it would be logical in bringing him on it just for the sake of it. As long as the minors are still in the championship that has to be the priority. It would very unfair on minor management if he was to get an injury in training for the u21s or at a challenge game given the work they have been doing since last October because hes not going to be any more than a bit-part player for the u21s anyway. I think the u21s have enough work done and enough strength in depth themselves so dont see the need for him
    If the minors are out of the championship and the 21s are still in it I would say by all means but at the moment he should be left to give his 100% commitment to the minors as he will have 3 years as an u21 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

best of luck to the seniors tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

1 point each after 5 mins, live on 103fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting nervous already

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

5 points each. Westmeath playing with a really strong breeze apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

8 points to 5 to Westmeath

9-6 now
    Sounds like silly mistakes & missed chances

GOAL!

1-6 to 9 points

7 wides already so far. These are killing us in every game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Very very poor stuff, no intensity and clear complacency from some players. Big improvements needed but getting the win is the main thing.

Up 1-10 to 11 points

Maurice playing well again

• Advertisement

2-15 to 11 points

Pulling away now

edit: 2-17 now to 11 now

Gwan Tony :pac:

Full time:
    3-22 to 14 points

Sounds like good 2nd half performance but still a lot of wides & a strong wind influence.

1-9 for Maurice with a goal at the very end

Next game: July 13th (Another one I wont fcuking make :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really hard seeing us beating Tipp or Dublin and the likes if we struggled against the likes of Westmeath in the first half

Job done, wouldn't dwell too much on game as there are greater challenges ahead. Intensity was upped and shooting improved and the wind had an influence also. Maurice looking very sharp again and we emptied bench to good effect giving a few players a run out. Savage two weeks of training ahead to get up to standard for phase 3.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    really hard seeing us beating Tipp or Dublin and the likes if we struggled against the likes of Westmeath in the first half

That is a nonsense statement and unhelpfully negative. There was a clear lack of urgency and complacency there today that while clearly undesirable was understandable in the circumstances. This game was about winning and moving forward, the performance will have zero bearing on the next game. I'm not saying we will win next time out but it would be foolhardy to write the team off on the basis of that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Good win for the team tonight! So is our reward for beating Westmeath a match against Tipp /KK. Or does anyone know who we are playing next?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Who would have thought we would be waiting to see who will win between Tipp and Kikenny next week. Hard to see us getting a win against which ever one gets through but if we do our year will really open up for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kapa

Any news on when Shane Walsh is coming back???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bressi

Unless laois beat clare Wat play winners of kil/Tipp on13/7/13.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement