Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks Noihno and Giveitfong for two excellent pieces.

Agree about Jamie Barron the first night, was amazed it wasn't Brian O'Sullivan who was taken off as he wasn't in the game at all. Just shows, some substitutions work, some don't, have to give Michael Ryan a bit of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Cake Man wrote: »
    What clubs are Mark O'Brien and Paul O'Connor from? Seems like there will be serious competition for places for the Munster final with many of the subs that came on the other night doing well. Tough decisions for management to either stick with a lad who was quiet but capable of much more or chance a lad who came on and did well. Good headache to have though and knowing there's good options on the bench to call upon.

Mark O' Brien - Ferrybank.
    Not sure about Paul O' Connor, my programme is somewhere lost in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think he is a clashmore man, saw them hurling about 3 weeks ago, for a football club they are producing some good hurlers, speaking of which any update on brian o' halloran?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    The minors are 10/11 to win the all ireland haha

The only thing I can think of to explain this is that the bookies are extrapolating from Dungarvan Colleges winning the colleges All-Ireland. Maybe they're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Lads I hate running away with meself but that minor team is good enough to do the business this year. I was buzzing after watching them in Cork the other night, they where majestic when they got going, like watching the Waterford Seniors in 07

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Lads I hate running away with meself but that minor team is good enough to do the business this year. I was buzzing after watching them in Cork the other night, they where majestic when they got going, like watching the Waterford Seniors in 07
    I'm probably stating the obvious here, but what sets this apart is that we went with an expectation of a win and we got it. When they were nine points down I was dreading having to face up to the reality that no matter how good the hurlers we produce, they'd crumble as soon as they looked at those red/blue & gold jerseys, we are never going to overcome our inbuilt inferiority complex. But they did. I'm always proud of any Waterford team that fights the good fight. It doesn't matter how badly beaten they get, they're representing me and as long as they don't go down swinging timber or fists then I'll be proud to be associated with them. The lads the other night - they made me happy. I'm going to become a father for the first time soon (today is D-Day+1) and I'm looking forward to contrasting my feelings when it happens with my feelings on Wednesday night. I'm still buzzing from the result. If fatherhood is better than that, bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

DeiseX wrote: »
    Mark O' Brien - Ferrybank.
    Not sure about Paul O' Connor, my programme is somewhere lost in the car!

Clashmore he was on the minor football team aswell

deiseach wrote: »
    I'm probably stating the obvious here, but what sets this apart is that we went with an expectation of a win and we got it. When they were nine points down I was dreading having to face up to the reality that no matter how good the hurlers we produce, they'd crumble as soon as they looked at those red/blue & gold jerseys, we are never going to overcome our inbuilt inferiority complex. But they did. I'm always proud of any Waterford team that fights the good fight. It doesn't matter how badly beaten they get, they're representing me and as long as they don't go down swinging timber or fists then I'll be proud to be associated with them. The lads the other night - they made me happy. I'm going to become a father for the first time soon (today is D-Day+1) and I'm looking forward to contrasting my feelings when it happens with my feelings on Wednesday night. I'm still buzzing from the result. If fatherhood is better than that, bring it on!

Id be reasonably well up on the progress of the development squads over the past few years and Id seen Cork a few times at u16 and u17 and I always knew that this Waterford group were ahead of them so I like you would have been so dissappointed had we crumbled to them when it really mattered on Wednesday night. I would rate Limerick as being a serious outfit having seen them at u17 last year and it has always been a particularly strong group and it will be another huge battle but I do feel that we are stronger than them aswell and if we play to our ability we will beat them. While Tipp would have been rightly favourites for the All Ireland it wasnt as surprising as some people were saying that they were beaten knowing this crop of players Limerick have.

This year and next year are big years for us at this level we have a super group of players coming through. Next years minor team won the Tony Forristal 4 years ago and the U16 Arrabawn Plate last year and and out of Wednesdays nights starting team Conor Gleeson, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Colm Roche, Cormac Curran are still on the age next year.

I do think this year is there is a huge oppertunity there for which ever team wins the Munster final. Leinster has been quite weak this year and while Kilkenny have made it through to the Leinster final it wouldnt be classified as a vintage minor team by their standards having been beaten at home by Wexford already, and they play Laois in the final whom they beat by 17 points already earlier in the competition. By winning Munster you avoid Galway in the quarters who will be strong as they are every year and more than likely Kilkenny even if you beat Galway.

Its hard to call as when it comes to minors anything can happen on any given day but I have a good feeling about us at this grade over the next couple of years.

In the meantime enjoy the sleepless nights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

From a Cork prospective better team won. Huge Waterford crowd at the game and much more vocal than Cork. Harney midfield was my MOTM. Started hoovering up possession when ye were in big trouble. Waterford failed to deal with Conor Twomey when he went into 6 early in the 2nd half and his dominance dragged Cork back into the game. Limerick were v impressive v Cork in a challenge a while back and are not to be underestimated. Massively frustrating to be following Cork underage hurling the last decade. A litany of extratime/1pt defeats.

robopaddy wrote: »
    In the meantime enjoy the sleepless nights ;)

But enough about thinking about Waterford's summer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Limerick were v impressive v Cork in a challenge a while back and are not to be underestimated.

I have heard the opposite from a few people now to be honest, saying the Limerick were no great shakes in that match. What was the score in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Waterford now 11/8 favourites to win all ireland minor :eek:. A bit short as least 3 more games to win to achieve that title. A great win the other night but I don't think Cork minor teams have been setting the world on fire the last few years. As other posters have mentioned minor hurling is very, very unpredictable and being 9 or ten points down, a team is still in with a shout. Tipp must have fancied their chances after beating us 6 weeks back and now they are gone. Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny could all win if they perform on the day. One or two of a Minor team can dominate any game at this level. I think the Harty experience will stand to a lot of our lads and the big occasion wont worry them. This could be a rollercoaster ride like many Waterford teams before them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Best of luck with the new arrival. If its a boy I presume he'll be a Tony or a Ken!? :pac:

Best of luck with the new arrival. If its a boy I presume he'll be a Tony or a Ken!? :pac:

Erm, no. Not even close. Who do you think I am, the mother? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

Good stuff ,make sure to raise him a hurler through , Tony Browne will need young legs around him when he's 58 ,and still hitting points from the half back line for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Anyone interested in seeing the future stars of Waterford hurling should get in to the Fraher Field tomorrow morning, where the U16 hurling county finals will take place. In division 1, Cappoquin take on Cois Bhríde, in division 2, Brickeys will face St. Pat's. In division 3, St. Olivers play An Gaeltacht (fixture to be finalised).

First throw-in is at 10 or 10:30am I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Many of you heading tomorrow lads? I've been planning on heading but with people working, others with tickets to concerts and some just not going, I might end up going by myself if I go at all. I'm a bit surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭hardybuck

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Many of you heading tomorrow lads? I've been planning on heading but with people working, others with tickets to concerts and some just not going, I might end up going by myself if I go at all. I'm a bit surprised!

I'm based in Dublin, and considering travelling, and although I hate to admit it, the closer I get to the game the more I think I'll give it a miss!

I expect Waterford to steamroll Westmeath, and the football is likely to be a war of attrition.

Mightn't be worth the hassle of getting in and out of Mullingar. I might keep my powder dry for the next day, which may possibly be a good double header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Train is only an hour from Connolly?

Train is only an hour from Connolly?

I know yeah, but it's a little over an hour if you're driving as well. It'd take me about 45 mins to get to Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Would the U21 management be interested in a few of the minors the way Paul Flynn stepped up in grade in '92

deisedub wrote: »
    Would the U21 management be interested in a few of the minors the way Paul Flynn stepped up in grade in '92

U21 teams will always include a few minors every year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    U21 teams will always include a few minors every year...

I don't remember any last year? But I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or two at least in the mix.

I don't remember any last year? But I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or two at least in the mix.

Well maybe not every year, but it's pretty common to see minors in the team, or at least in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Well maybe not every year, but it's pretty common to see minors in the team, or at least in the squad.

I don't think it's common at all really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

When you've a quality minor team I'd say it is. I wouldn't expect the likes of Patrick Curran or Shane Bennett (two of the best performers) to be playing this year anyway. You might see Stephen Bennett or Austin Gleeson in there though.

I know Jake Dillon and Jamie Barron played u21 as minors and Philip Mahony in 2009, but don't think anyone did last year or in 2010.

Local_Chap wrote: »
    I don't think it's common at all really?

I may stand corrected! I was an U21 squad member myself as a minor, many moons ago. At least one of my minor team started if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Im after asking around friend's and all that so figured I'd chance here.

Is there anyone stuck for a lift up tomorrow that was thinking of travelling? I'm working in the morning and the following morning so I'm definitely driving if I'm going but it'd be a shame to have an empty car.

Worth a try!

When you've a quality minor team I'd say it is. I wouldn't expect the likes of Patrick Curran or Shane Bennett (two of the best performers) to be playing this year anyway. You might see Stephen Bennett or Austin Gleeson in there though.

I know Jake Dillon and Jamie Barron played u21 as minors and Philip Mahony in 2009, but don't think anyone did last year or in 2010.

The first 2 lads you mentioned are still minor next year so they would be too young. your right about the 3 lads in the last paragraph, normally only an exceptional minor is called to the u21 team so youd hope it bodes well for those 3 lads. I know Paul Flynn was mentioned already and as far as I know Kevin Moran was called up to the u21s the year he was minor. But it is very rarely you hear of it, I cant remember anyone else from Waterford. usually the minor lads have enough going on with leaving cert etc anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Eoin Kelly gave a master class at midfield in a great under 21 win over Tipperary in Thurles in 2000 when he was still a minor. However, I doubt if any minors would be used by the under 21s while they are still in the minor championship. Besides, the current under 21s have been playing a lot of matches without any minors and it would be difficult to bring any into the panel at this stage without causing friction. In any case, the under 21 panel this year is very strong (at least on paper) and it is hard to see where there would be an opening for any minors.

For what it is worth, I think all of the following are under 21 and in the Waterford panel. If there are any errors or omissions I would be glad to hear of them:
    Seánie Barry and Darren Duggan (goalkeepers)
    Barry Coughlan
    Stephen O’Keeffe (the other one)
    Shane Roche
    Tom Curran
    Ian Kenny
    Tadhg Bourke
    Shane McNulty
    Ray Barry
    Paudie Prendergast
    Kieran Power
    Jim Power
    Colin Dunford
    Darragh Fives
    Shane Ryan
    Gavin O’Brien
    Donie Breathnach
    Pauric Mahony
    Eamonn Murphy
    Cormac Heffernan
    Jake Dillon
    Jamie Barron
    Stephen Roche
    Jack Lyons
    Kieran Bennett
    Barry O’Sullivan
    Ryan Donnelly
    Ray Ó Ceallaigh
    Paul Coughlan

I don’t know what the story is with Eoin Madigan, but if he was available he would be a hell of an addition.

This to me is, like the minors, a panel with immense potential if it can be harnessed and focused properly. However, we have had many panels in recent years which fit this description but which failed to deliver on the night (the 2009 team being an exception). Peter Queally seems to have been doing a lot of work with them and working well with Michael Ryan. I believe there was a real hammer and thongs game between the under 21s and seniors a couple of Sundays ago which is great to hear. Any further intelligence would be welcome as they prepare for their home game against Clare on July 18 next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement