Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

bressi wrote: »
    Unless laois beat clare Wat play winners of kil/Tipp on13/7/13.

I'm glad to see someone mentioned this.

Clare will be deserving favourites against Laois, but don't rule out an upset there. Hard to see them beating Clare in Ennis but Clare would want to be better than they were against Cork and I can see them underestimating them. Much different team to what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Who would have thought we would be waiting to see who will win between Tipp and Kikenny next week. Hard to see us getting a win against which ever one gets through but if we do our year will really open up for us.

Bring it f#####n on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Any idea who will have home advantage between waterford and kilkenny/tipp?

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Neutral venue.

Interestingly the last time we played Westmeath also in Mullingar the score was 3-22 to 1-14, very similar to today. Only we actually won by more today. And yet according to one, we won't beat anyone on today's performance :rolleyes:

Agree with the argument that today's match counts for nothing. 1 point win or 17 points win, it's immaterial. Job done. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Neutral venue.

Interestingly the last time we played Westmeath also in Mullingar the score was 3-22 to 1-14, very similar to today. Only we actually won by more today. And yet according to one, we won't beat anyone on today's performance :rolleyes:

Agree with the argument that today's match counts for nothing. 1 point win or 17 points win, it's immaterial. Job done. Move on.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Found 2 interesting websites. Worth a look if ya have time to spare.

http://www.expertdatabasesolutions.ie/hurling.aspx

http://www.hurlingstats.com/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

PTH2009 wrote: »
    really hard seeing us beating Tipp or Dublin and the likes if we struggled against the likes of Westmeath in the first half

No???? Winning by 18 points not enough? Maybe a weaker team who are playing at home playing out of their skin for 35 minutes? Maybe show a bit of respect to so called weaker teams?

"PTH2009 in negative statement shocker"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

glick6 wrote: »
    No???? Winning by 18 points not enough? Maybe a weaker team who are playing at home playing out of their skin for 35 minutes? Maybe show a bit of respect to so called weaker teams?

"PTH2009 in negative statement shocker"

Leave him keep writing Waterford off before a game, he had written them off and had them knocked out of the championship before the end of June and we still in there.
    We could go places yet........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

I assume that if Kilkenny beat Tipp then we'll have a double header in Thurles

Waterford v Kilkenny
    Clare v Wexford

If its Waterford v Tipp then Pairc Ui Chaoimh is the obvious venue but there is the complicating factor that Bruce Springsteen is there the following Thursday and the stage construction may have begun?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Deise_2012 wrote: »

if its waterford-kilkenny i'd imagine it'll be played in thurles as a double-header with the clare-wexford game. if it's waterford-tipp they might put on a double-header in nowlan park or even croke park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Who would you guys rather meet if you had the choice?

Even though we beat Tip in the league I'd still prefer to play the Cats.
    Don't get me wrong, I still think they are a serious team but I think we'd have a better chance against them than Tip.

Tip always seem to do well on our half backline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

PTH2009 wrote: »
    really hard seeing us beating Tipp or Dublin and the likes if we struggled against the likes of Westmeath in the first half

I would think you wished holding off on saying that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was at the match yesterday, first half performance was very poor. Twas like they were stuck to the ground and the touch was very poor. Second half was much better and even with the wind, they improved and the sharpness and touch was there. Thats more important than how much they won by. Their fitness impressed me greatly.

Thought that Seamus Prender did alot of good work, scored a couple of lovely points and set up 1-2 in the first half. The introduction of Tony Browne was the biggest cheer of the day and the PA was very funny with his announcement of his arrival.

Who we get next week is out of our hands. If Laois don't upset the applecart, i'ld prefer KK. No point trying to avoid teams and we need to know where we stand. Think that KK are missing Henry more than they ever thought they would.

As for the footballers, if they get anyone in the next draw, Fermanagh would be a good one. Westmeath gave two awful goals away and still nearly won.

jacko1 wrote: »
    I assume that if Kilkenny beat Tipp then we'll have a double header in Thurles

Waterford v Kilkenny
    Clare v Wexford

If its Waterford v Tipp then Pairc Ui Chaoimh is the obvious venue but there is the complicating factor that Bruce Springsteen is there the following Thursday and the stage construction may have begun?

They haven't been using Pairc Ui Chaoimh basically all year. Not sure when its due to go under construction but we won't be playing there anyway I can't imagine. Think it would be Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

chinguetti wrote: »
    Was at the match yesterday, first half performance was very poor. Twas like they were stuck to the ground and the touch was very poor. Second half was much better and even with the wind, they improved and the sharpness and touch was there. Thats more important than how much they won by. Their fitness impressed me greatly.

Thought that Seamus Prender did alot of good work, scored a couple of lovely points and set up 1-2 in the first half. The introduction of Tony Browne was the biggest cheer of the day and the PA was very funny with his announcement of his arrival.

Pretty much agree with that. Our striking was very poor as well yesterday. Fellas were topping the the ball and generally not striking cleanly at all in that first half. We we left two gilt edged goal chances behind us again in the first half.

We have concerns over the for, of some players at the moment. Kevin Moran is not playing well IMO. Disappointed for Richie as I thought he was a long way off the pace and standard, which is probably understandable given the length of lay off he had. Mahony was ineffective and subbed again. Plenty for us to work on. Delighted the with the 3 goals scored and none conceded, although Lawlor agin had another moment of passing the ball across his goal and getting picked for a score. We need to start learning and cut out these stupid mistakes. Brian O'Sullivan scored an excellent second goal. Great movement to come across and get in front to catch the ball before burning his man and sticking it away. Unlucky for a couple of more goals but he provided a real threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keanes Road

They haven't been using Pairc Ui Chaoimh basically all year. Not sure when its due to go under construction but we won't be playing there anyway I can't imagine. Think it would be Nowlan Park.

Yeah I wold say it would be Nowlan Park for a Tipp game. Part of the AI series so the Munster council have no right to insist on it being played on a Munster ground, I think.

Yeah I wold say it would be Nowlan Park for a Tipp game. Part of the AI series so the Munster council have no right to insist on it being played on a Munster ground, I think.

Yep, though apparently it could be in Thurles as it may be considered a national ground much like Croke Park but I wouldn't think it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our footballers will face either Armagh, Derry,Galway,Longford, Fermanagh, Tyrone,Louth or Laois in the all Ireland round 2 nxt Saturday

I think the only winnable games would be if we got Louth or Longford

I can see us drawing Longford Away. The draw takes place Monday morning on tv3 at 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Did i miss the highlights on the Sunday game? Didnt realise it was on at 8:30 tonight so missed the first half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deisedude wrote: »
    Did i miss the highlights on the Sunday game? Didnt realise it was on at 8:30 tonight so missed the first half hour

Were half arsed highlights. Only showed about 8 of the scores in a quick recap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Yeah, only showed 3 minutes of highlights. Sad . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Glad with the win the other night, slow to get going first half but second half much better. Good to see Maurice and BOS do well, we're going to need every ounce of their scoring power against Tipp or KK.

It's going to be extremely tough to beat them, we'll need a lot to go our way. The fact that the winner will come out of the game high on confidence with their season back on track means we'll be meeting a juggernaut in full steam but we have to be prepared and hit the ground running, unlike the last 2 games. It'll be a good indicator of where we are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Why is everyone completely writing off Laois saying we'll be playing Tipp/KK?

Clare are nothing special. Waterford were terrible against them that lost the game, not Clare playing brilliant.. Clare were also terrible against cork that didnt look anything special either.

garv123 wrote: »
    Why is everyone completely writing off Laois saying we'll be playing Tipp/KK?

Clare are nothing special. Waterford were terrible against them that lost the game, not Clare playing brilliant.. Clare were also terrible against cork that didnt look anything special either.

I think if you look at it player for player that you would expect Clare to have to much. Laois have some good hurlers though, and great unity. Very much so an unknown quantity but there were warning signs there for Clare from the performance Laois gave against Galway.

The fact there conceding home advantage makes things a little bit tougher. Clare will be looking to get their season back on track you'd have to expect them to win it. But I agree with you, don't think it's the foregone conclusion many would mark it down as especially in a championship that has produced many surprises so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Laois aren't the worst and it isn't a case of people writing them off tbh, it's more a case of being realistic and knowing that Clare just have better hurlers and will most likely win. If Laois were at home, you'd give them a little bit more of a chance but even then you'd still fancy Clare.
    Dublin beating KK and Limerick beating Tipp were indeed surprises as ML referred to but for Laois to beat Clare (in Clare) would be a shock, let alone a surprise.

Even if Laois were to win and a draw was carried out to determine who'd play who in the third qualifier round, knowing our luck we'd still draw KK/Tipp anyway! :pac:

RumMonkey wrote: »

Thats all they showed of most of the qualifier games. in fairness with 16 games to show a one-sided hurling match in Mullingar was never going to be high on their list of priorities

Although to go back on my previous post there was no mention of Tony Browne's appearance which was disappointing because who knows if its his last

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

our footballers will have the task of playing Galway in Salthill next Saturday , huge ask to win that.

I think that Tipperary/Kilkenny will have too much for us on the 13th July but playing teams off that cailabre will add experience to our team. Theres no way Laois will beat Clare (similar to Carlow in last saturdays match, Laois will run out of steam)

Great seeing Tony Browne back who turns 40 today.

Id say if were playing Kilkenny it will be in Thurles and if its Kilkenny it will be in Nowlan Park. If it sort chance of playing Laois than it will be in Thurles id say

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

RumMonkey wrote: »

Should be available on gaajustplay app by tues or wed, well highlights anyway. i'm looking forward to seeing the minor match v Cork especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Should be available on gaajustplay app by tues or wed, well highlights anyway. i'm looking forward to seeing the minor match v Cork especially.

Thanks. I was at the match but love seeing the highlights afterwards and hearing the commentators say how great we were. :p

Will definitely watch the Minor match on the player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement