Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Highlights of minor game v Cork on TG4 tonight (should be anyway) looking forward to seeing that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Should be available on gaajustplay app by tues or wed, well highlights anyway. i'm looking forward to seeing the minor match v Cork especially.

Is that available on Android? Can't seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Chinpool wrote: »
    Were half arsed highlights. Only showed about 8 of the scores in a quick recap

Yeah I was disappointed by what they showed. I couldn't make the match in the end due to getting called into work at 3am so would have liked to see a bit more. Considering there were only three hurling matches, I thought they could have devoted a bit more time to it and the Wexford - Carlow game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I was disappointed by what they showed. I couldn't make the match in the end due to getting called into work at 3am so would have liked to see a bit more. Considering there were only three hurling matches, I thought they could have devoted a bit more time to it and the Wexford - Carlow game.

Never gonna happen. They showed so much football live they couldn't wait to show it all again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They showed the Waterford highlights after showing highlights of a camogie game. I know a lot of people would have switched the channel or got up to stick on the kettle when that came on. They also had a camera man who appeared to have never videod a hurling match, or any game for that matter - the camera was all over the place.

Footballers - was hoping for one of the big teams at home, even Galway at home would have been nice. Seems like a long time since they've had a home game. Not a hope of them winning up in Salthill, which is a pity, as I think they might have had a cut off them at home.

• Advertisement

Never gonna happen. They showed so much football live they couldn't wait to show it all again

Haha very good!

Hurling really has been drawing the short straw so far, hasn't it? Only a handful of games shown live. There are so few in the championship it's a bit of a balls when they're not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Haha very good!

Hurling really has been drawing the short straw so far, hasn't it? Only a handful of games shown live. There are so few in the championship it's a bit of a balls when they're not shown.

I suppose the reality is that hurling is a bit of a minority sport, and the coverage at times is often quite high considering the few counties playing.

With the qualifiers on and two provincial semis on this weekend, hurling was always going to take the back seat. Next weekend you'll have the Munster and Leinster finals on which should make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Happy 40th TB. Hero.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I suppose the reality is that hurling is a bit of a minority sport, and the coverage at times is often quite high considering the few counties playing.

With the qualifiers on and two provincial semis on this weekend, hurling was always going to take the back seat. Next weekend you'll have the Munster and Leinster finals on which should make up for it.

Going to be a great weekend alright! :D
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Happy 40th TB. Hero.

Playing inter-county hurling at 40 years of age. What a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

There was very little to be learned from the game against Westmeath on Saturday night, such was the gulf in standards between the teams. Waterford were at half-cock in the first half while Westmeath put in a big effort and were winning the 50/50s all over the place. They also got some good long-distance scores playing with the strong wind. It should also be noted that Liam Lawlor repeated his error against Offaly, attempting a pass in front of goal which was intercepted and sent over the bar.

Nevertheless, despite Westmeath dominating possession and having the wind behind them, the fact is that the sides were level at half-time, and Waterford did have seven wides in the first half. Pauric Mahony hit three of these, all of them to the left of the goal, which wasn’t very smart.

After half time Waterford just blew Westmeath away, although the midlanders continued to win a lot of clean ball in the air all over the field. This is an area which other top counties (especially Kilkenny) have focused on and in which Waterford are quite weak. In fact, we only have three decent fielders of the ball in our team – Brick, Shane O’Sullivan and Seamus Prendergast. Pauric Mahony was a good ball winner as a minor, but he doesn’t (yet, hopefully) have the physicality for this at senior level. The same could probably be said about Maurice Shanahan, although he can be a good ball winner at club level.

I thought Shane Fives had a very good game here, and we were really blessed to have such a capable replacement available when Stephen Daniels got injured. Davy Fitz obviously had no time for him, but that tells us more about Davy than Shane Fives. I thought Richie Foley was trying too hard to impress, but his key weakness as an intercounty hurler – his inability to challenge for ball in the air – was exposed here a few times.

I have always been a fan of Brian O’Sullivan because of his ability to score goals, and this was evident here again (while acknowledging the quality of the opposition). Apart from his 2-2 from play, Maurice’s goal came from another O’Sullivan shot which the Westmeath goalie blocked out to him.
    One thing that did impress was the added bulk Gavin O’Brien has put on since I last saw him in action. He clearly has spent a lot of time in the gym weights room working on his conditioning. He also played very well when he came on at right half forward in place of Jake Dillon. It was also good to see Jamie Barron setting up two scores and notching one himself during his brief period on the field.

I haven’t heard why Paudie Prendergast didn’t start this game. Does anyone have further information? Ray Barry didn’t seem to play the ball much as Paudie’s replacement, but it was a useful experience for him.

All in all, this was a useful enough exercise in keeping things ticking over and giving fringe players some game time. It will be interesting to see how Kilkenny react to their defeat to Dublin. I was at the first match between them. Dublin were terrible in the first half but once they got their act together they dominated the game and should have won it except for some bad defending late on and Walter Walsh doing a “Henry Shefflin”, notching 1-4 from play. I saw most of the replay on the Internet, and Dublin would have won comfortably were it not for some terrible misses from frees by Paul Ryan. Kilkenny looked really flat and there were no miracles from Walter Walsh this time.

All things considered, I think I would prefer to play Tipperary as they have a lot of suspect forwards and if we can get on top of them we would be in with a chance. Despite their loss of form, Kilkenny have more inherent quality in their forwards and, in a knockout situation, they could be really dangerous. However, if the Cats do get past Tipperary, their game against us would be their fourth in four weeks and their fifth in six weeks. That will surely take some toll.

Anyway, it will be another hectic weekend, with the senior game against Tipp or Kilkenny on the Saturday night and the minors out against Limerick in the Munster Final the following day.

• Advertisement

Lads I heard today that its an open draw for the third round qualifiers regardless of who youve played already. Aparantly that rule of not facing a team youve already played is not actually set in stone anymore. I note from the football qualifiers today cavan meet fermanagh and derry drew down whom all of who hsve already met in champship

• Registered Users Posts: 4 An Seanbhuachaill

The hurling fixtures wall chart on gaa.ie states quite clearly with regard to Phase III that "Subject to avoidance of repeat pairings, where feasible, a draw shall be made to determine the pairings".

This appears to rule out an open draw if both Clare and Waterford are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

deisedude wrote: »
    Is that available on Android? Can't seem to find it

GAAJustPlay is available on android. I have it on an iphone and works brilliant on it, don't know how it is for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.nemeton.gaa&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImllLm5lbWV0b24uZ2FhIl0.

I only googled that meself just now.

9 mins of highlights on there of the Cork Waterford Match. That Bennett/Curran combination is something else.

Limerick Tipp minor there also. Jaysus tis some yoke for watching matches!

RumMonkey wrote: »
    Thanks. I was at the match but love seeing the highlights afterwards and hearing the commentators say how great we were. :p

Will definitely watch the Minor match on the player.

If you have an ipad/iphone/ipod or android thingummy, get the JustPlay app. 9 mins of highlights on there. Tipp/Limerick minor match also.

Dublin/Kilkenny senior replay on there also, but don't see Waterford/Westmeath match, which is a pity. Might check back tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

GAAJustPlay is available on android. I have it on an iphone and works brilliant on it, don't know how it is for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.nemeton.gaa&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImllLm5lbWV0b24uZ2FhIl0.

I only googled that meself just now.

9 mins of highlights on there of the Cork Waterford Match. That Bennett/Curran combination is something else.

Limerick Tipp minor there also. Jaysus tis some yoke for watching matches!

So is there more highlights than you'd see on TG4 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not compatible with my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just got the Just Play app. Great video quality but christ the app is atrocious. Could really use some higher quality assets and borders dont even line up right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I take it the draw for Phase III will not take place until after Clare v Laois and KK v Tipp have been decided this weekend?

Am I right in saying we can't get Wexford because they're the other Phase I winner, and we can't get Clare because we've already played them in Munster? That would mean we either play Laois, KK or Tipp next.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

for the minors if we win the munster final it will be the semis vs the Winners of Antrim/Laois or Kilkenny

If we lose the final its a Quarter final with date with Galway and then a semi final vs the Leinster Champions if we win the QF

A great chance to get to an All Ireland final if we win Munster

So is there more highlights than you'd see on TG4 then?

Yeah, way more stuff on there - seems to be about 7-10 minutes of each match. Waterford v Tipp and Waterford v Clare minor matches still there in the archive section.

• Advertisement

Just got the Just Play app. Great video quality but christ the app is atrocious. Could really use some higher quality assets and borders dont even line up right!

I wouldn't be an app expert myself, the video quality is all I'd be worried about and the length of the highlights. Does the trick for me, although I'd like to see it on an ipad (I don't have one) to see if the quality is still as good.

Any brainbox on here know how a fella could press record on something like that? I see the Waterford Tipp minor match is at the bottom of the list in the archive, so I presume it will disappear shortly. Would love to know how it could be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Nice to see we have three of the top scores from play

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=195760

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Is it tonight the U21s are playing ?

Nope, two weeks from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Minor Championships gets under way this evening!! Some cracking games throughout all the divisions!! Madness to think that some of the powers that be want to bring back the East/West divisional championship instead of all county. The all county championship has partly contributed to the progression we've seen of the county minor hurling team!!

DeiseX wrote: »
    Minor Championships gets under way this evening!! Some cracking games throughout all the divisions!! Madness to think that some of the powers that be want to bring back the East/West divisional championship instead of all county. The all county championship has partly contributed to the progression we've seen of the county minor hurling team!!

Having played under all County leagues from under 14 to minor I really enjoyed them too. I think 7 is about the least (maybe 6 occasionally) in any division and most are 8 so your guaranteed 5 games, plus the seperately run divisional championship. Way more enjoyable and as you say beneficial in bringing on young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Heard gav o Brien broke his thumb in an u21 challenge against kk intermediates the other day. Unlucky fella. 6 weeks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

glick6 wrote: »
    Heard gav o Brien broke his thumb in an u21 challenge against kk intermediates the other day. Unlucky fella. 6 weeks out.

Depending on which semi we're in he might not be back until the final.

glick6 wrote: »

big loss for u21s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

blue note wrote: »
    Depending on which semi we're in he might not be back until the final.

That's confidence for ya :-)

On a serious note that's tough luck for the chap, bad time of year for that to happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement