Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

another goal honn stevie bennet

were 2-5 to 1-7

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Mighty

Up 2-9 to 1-10:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

1-12 to 2-10, gonna be a good last few

• Advertisement

2-11 to 1-12
    ...now 2-11 to 1-13

2-11 to 1-14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Don't know what is happening with us and refs this year. Steven Bennett is being pushed every time the ball comes near him and no free. Blows up for ft as we are on the attack to win. Difficult to understand, a lot of very frustrated fans here. Extra time it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ref blew whistle wit us in scoring opportunity

Et

Great game

Hope we have enuf in d tank now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Waterford goal, that should be that

• Advertisement

HONN THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well done to the Minors :D

final score Cork 1-20
    Waterford 3-19,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Excellent news. What a turnaround. Great to see in such a young team, delighted they'll still be playing well into the summer. Hon the Déise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

deiseach wrote: »
    Your knowledge, unsurprisingly, is correct.

Waterford-Minor-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1928-2012-500x431.jpg

Waterford-Under-21-results-v-Cork-in-Cork-1966-2010-500x298.jpg

(Of course I could be wrong, but I'm always open to correction.)

Fantastic result. Am I right in say (from above posts) that this is the first win against Cork in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Never could have seen that result after an opening 20 mins as poor as any Waterford side has ever produced! Fantastic show of character from the lads when everything seemed to be going Corks way, ably assisted by another abysmal refereeing display. Ref was simply embarrassing but I would rather dwell on some of the superb performances on our team, of which there were many. Shane Bennett MOTM for me though a number of others ran him close. Our subs made a big impact whereas Cork appeared reluctant to use their bench. The sending off was the turning point, while Cork coped well initially we made the extra man count in second period of ET. Great result and well done to all involved. Met Michael Ryan at full time and he commented on the tremendous support at the game, was brilliant to see so many getting behind the lads. Munster final it is and Limerick on their own patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

crazyman wrote: »
    Fantastic result. Am I right in say (from above posts) that this is the first win against Cork in Cork?

You are right. It's only our fifth win ever at Minor level over Cork - although we've won the last two. It's all good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

****in delighted with that. Watching games by text message is bad for the nerves.

This team seems to be full of scores and Im told created 6 or more goal chances which is a great sign for any team. Coming from 8 down away in Cork is massive for any Waterford side at any age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭dzilla

Lads Shane Bennet was immense.

Austin Gleesin made sone serious match winning clearances...

The talent is there

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to the Minor team tonight.. Great result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Lads dont want get ahead of myself but really beleive this could be our year at minor level. We are as good as any team left in the competition tipp were hot favourites for th AI with galway second ourselves third. But tonites result has blown the whole thing wide open.

The Munster final bears massive significance for the winners. Looking at the draw this year the loser goes into a quarter final with Galway while the winners straight through to the semi finals against the winners of the quarter final between ulster champs and Leinster runners up (more than likely Laois) that would leave you on easier side of the draw for sure

A great opportunity for our lads its going to be a great occasion against Limerick and while theyll have a big home following behind them theres going to be a lot of pressure onthem to perform in front of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

We should have been up at half time, fierce wasteful, but got a fantastic start to the second half.
    Lads Austin Gleeson and Shane Bennett what can I say they were just awesome. In extra time Waterford lads were dropping like flies with cramp and Shane Bennett was getting stronger, he was strong in the air, tenacious, first to the ball, gave good ball into the forwards, really he will be a star, what can you say I won't be able to sleep a wink after that!
    Our best days are yet to come and they may not be far off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Lads dont want get ahead of myself but really beleive this could be our year at minor level. We are as good as any team left in the competition tipp were hot favourites for th AI with galway second ourselves third. But tonites result has blown the whole thing wide open.

The Munster final bears massive significance for the winners. Looking at the draw this year the loser goes into a quarter final with Galway while the winners straight through to the semi finals against the winners of the quarter final between ulster champs and Leinster runners up (more than likely Laois) that would leave you on easier side of the draw for sure

A great opportunity for our lads its going to be a great occasion against Limerick and while theyll have a big home following behind them theres going to be a lot of pressure onthem to perform in front of it

Wouldn't be jumping the gun just yet. This is a very talented team but a Munster title in itself won't be easy won and would be a great achievement. This Limerick side supposedly were very good at u17 level last year and the team for next year even better so they will be tough opposition.

Also, Laois beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny and I think they've every chance of beating Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I think the reality of it is is that if you win the Munster final you are on the easier side of the draw anyway as you avoid the Leinster champions.

They certainly have the talent to win an all-ireland, haven't seen most of the other teams but it would be a fined team that could match the starting team and what we've got in reserve. There's more to winning all-irelands than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

They were very nervous for the first 20 mins, 1.7 to 1 point down says it all. From now on the occassion gets bigger whether its munster final or croke park. If they let nerves get the better of them again then they may not get the chance to make amends. Remember 2011 in Thurles against Clare and Croke Park against Dublin where they froze in the first half. It could happen again, if the management are nervous then it will feed into the team. Great result tonite, try and kick on from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Woke up and got the second half of ET on WLR, absolutely fcuking delighted with that win! The lads did brilliant to come back from a poor start and seems like they created plenty of scoring chances.
    Munster final to look foward to now, doesn't get much harder having Limerick in their own backyard in what will be a sell out in front of their own fans but as robopaddy said, there's huge incentive to win with a clear path through to an AI final. Not looking past Limerick for a second though but it's great to know we have at least 2 more games and the lads will be hurling into the summer.
    Well done lads, fantastic stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just catching up on the thread. An amazing turnaround for sure. Delighted for the young lads and hopefully they can push on from here. Great to see that level of talent underage - bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irelandguy10

So the minors win tonight fantastic win and going to a munster final is terrific, so what do ye guys think of the future aussie gleeson is a star in the making

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

If ever there was a game of two halves I witnessed one tonight. Waterford were absolutely shocking in the first half, wasting four clear chances for points instead going for goals and all the talk around me was if only. I thought it was going to be a long spin home at half time but whatever was said in the dressing room the turnaround in the second half was like fifeteen different players took to the field.
    This game should have been over at full time as Waterford were denied a perfectly good goal only for the Ref to call it back for a penalty blowing the whistle when the ball hit the back of the net. Well that pentaly worked in Corks favour as it was cleared of the line and it looked like they were getting all the luck with every call. I even witnessed a Cork sideline missed hit allowed to be taken again. But fair play to these bunch of lads they are a different breed of hurler to anything I have ever seen come out of Waterford before. They should look forward with great confidence now after beating what was a very good Cork Minor side for the very first time on Cork soil. I don't want to say to much about the Ref but outside the toilets at full time a Cork man said to me the Ref is doing you no favours. I don't care now because this was a great win and hopefully there will be more of the same of what we saw in the second half, please not the first half stick them over the bar lads, goals will come when defences get jittery. The Cork half back line were brilliant and their Goalie had some puck out. Every player for Waterford done very well including the subs who were introduced. It was a great game and I was very glad that I traveled down to see it even taking in the horror show in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

brilliant comeback and win. to go up to the lion's den in Cork and overturn a 9 point first half deficit is mighty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think we should relax a bit now, it was a very good win with some serious performences all over the field,it also showed that there is a panel of at least 20/21 there capable of playing and excelling at this level.
    What we will do now in waterford[and i am not telling anyone not to enjoy the win, i was as thrilled and as delighted as anyone last night when dj foran scored that goal which gave us a bit of breathing space], but talk of rushing players onto the senior panel, which i've heard twice this morning, and how we,re going to win the all ireland ect, are only hyping up and putting immence pressure on very young hurlers, who are still minor and as we saw in the first 15 minlast night still have a bit to do, wonderfull win, wonderfull tenacity, wonderfull maturity, but go easy now waterford or we,ll have the all ireland won and nothing done yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement