Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens (Refurb) - €220 delivered

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got the canon 550D from John Lewis for £314.95.
    I just hope it ships now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

jay0109 wrote: »
    thanks Quakles...think I understood most of that!
    Will you get some level of 'bokeh' from this lens? (thats my new word for today!)

1 last question as can't see any mention of it in the ad so presume that no memory card comes with it?

You will get a certain amount, yes.. Go to Flickr and search for the lens name, there's groups of people showing examples of shots taken with it - might give you an idea of the quality you can achieve.

As for card, I dont have that particular camera, but none of the others I bought came with a memory card, so I wouldnt imagine it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

can someone explain the whole parcel motel thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    can someone explain the whole parcel motel thing?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698663

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

1 last question as can't see any mention of it in the ad so presume that no memory card comes with it?
    No memory card with it actually..

.. luckily I'd a spare Class 10 8GB SDHC I picked up from Play.com last year.

• Advertisement

quick question, what address do you give for parcelmotel? I'm a bit :confused:

quick question, what address do you give for parcelmotel? I'm a bit :confused:
    See post 13..

Basq wrote: »
    See post 13..

oh ok so you get it delivered to the UK address then parcel motel delivers it to a parcel motel thats closest to you in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

oh ok so you get it delivered to the UK address then parcel motel delivers it to a parcel motel thats closest to you in Dublin?

Yep.

I always wanted this camera but it was like over 500euro but now at 220euro, you can't say no :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Dear Basq,

Thank you for deciding to take us all on a journey into the wonderful world of DSLR photography.

Being mostly used to 'point-and-click' cameras, we thank you for this opportunity and are looking forward to the Bargain Alert where you tell us what photography books and other accessories to buy at discounted prices so we can learn how to actually use our new cameras.

No pressure.

Sincerely,
    The New Canon Owners of Boards.ie

:P

has anyone recieved their new shiny camera yet? :D

Also, how much of a saving is it compared to buying new?

psicic wrote: »
    Dear Basq,

Thank you for deciding to take us all on a journey into the wonderful world of DSLR photography.

Being mostly used to 'point-and-click' cameras, we thank you for this opportunity and are looking forward to the Bargain Alert where you tell us what photography books and other accessories to buy at discounted prices so we can learn how to actually use our new cameras.

No pressure.

Sincerely,
    The New Canon Owners of Boards.ie

:P
    I'm learning the same as the rest of ye.. what I've picked up so far is:
    Still need to pick up a good case, and a mate of mine recommended picking up a good quality tripod.

Picked up the DX stuff for about €6.50 with the $5 voucher that was an evening or two back.

Oh, and I picked up two books.. one is apparently renowned in the field of photography - it's 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (122 reviews with over 100 of them being 5 stars) and another is a dedicated book for this camera - Canon Eos Rebel T3/1100D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch.
    has anyone recieved their new shiny camera yet? :D
    Few photos of mine on front page - see here!
    Also, how much of a saving is it compared to buying new?
    Buying new - it's €360 in Currys, €365 in Argos and about €320 from Amazon.

I'm learning the same as the rest of ye.. what I've picked up so far is:
    Still need to pick up a good case, and a mate of mine recommended picking up a good quality tripod.

Picked up the DX stuff for about €6.50 with the $5 voucher that was an evening or two back.

Oh, and I picked up two books.. one is apparently renowned in the field of photography - it's 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson (122 reviews with over 100 of them being 5 stars) and another is a dedicated book for this camera - Canon Eos Rebel T3/1100D Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch.

Few photos of mine on front page - see here!

Buying new - it's €360 in Currys, €365 in Argos and about €320 from Amazon.

don't skimp on the filter. get a hama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

No memory card with it actually..

.. luckily I'd a spare Class 10 8GB SDHC I picked up from Play.com last year.

thanks to all....I think! Just bought it despite PayPals best attempts to stop me but eventually got around it.

Does the memory card have to be of a certain spec for a camera like this or will any regular card work

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Am i missing something here?

Dpreview give it an "OK" only review. "Not so good for: Photographers who focus on video, extreme low light photography or anything that requires fast continuous shooting"

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos1100d

Is the lens the "IS" version?

don't skimp on the filter. get a hama.
    Hmmm.. just googled them.. not expensive either.

Next order I put in at Amazon (probably shortly, as I have my eye on a case), I'll order one so.
    Does the memory card have to be of a certain spec for a camera like this or will any regular card work
    Any SD / SDHC card will work.. but if you're gonna use for HD video, maybe pick yourself up a Class 8 or Class 10 (let chance of losing frames, jittery video than the likes of a Class 2, with lower write speed).

A Class 10 16GB Sandisk SDHC is only £10 at the moment on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

thanks Basq....it'll be a busier summer than expected figuring out how to use this contraption!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Yeah, thanks for all the recommendations on the thread, Basq.

DX can be good for some of the extras, and the book suggestions look interesting.

bmm wrote: »
    Am i missing something here?

Dpreview give it an "OK" only review. "Not so good for: Photographers who focus on video, extreme low light photography or anything that requires fast continuous shooting"

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos1100d

Is the lens the "IS" version?
    Not the "IS" version AFAIK..

That's just one review tbh... I noticed a lot of the DSLR sites seem to have a habit of comparing apples and oranges (comparing it against DSLR's at a higher price range) - possibly due the popularity of Snapsort.com.

PhotographyBlog gave it 4.5 / 5, TechRadar gave it 4 / 5, DSLR Photograph gave it 85%, CNET gave it 4/5, T3 gave it 4 / 5 and these were all on the first 2 pages of a Google.

You'll be hard pushed to find a better reviewed DSLR close to this price tbh.. just don't go comparing it the likes of the 5D Mark II etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Always wanted to pick up a decent DSLR and this has me very tempted. Seems really good at that price and with only 10 left in stock I'm not sure what to do. It's a toughy. Anybody gotten photo examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

As someone who got my own first DSLR a few months ago I'd recommend this great value tripod from Amazon and I went for this case.

I know the case is more expensive than other options, but it's a well-known brand with space for lots of stuff inside (one or two more lenses) plus has a waterproof cover etc.

The tripod may not be as perfect as a hundred quid job but for that price you can't complain! I'm 185cm and it can go up to or above my eye level.

I'd also recommend investing in a spare battery - I've found a cheap ebay one does the job grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

For anyone looking for a course it's also worth keeping an eye on http://www.dealpage.ie/ each day to see if there are any cheap ones going. They crop up every now and then. At the moment livingsocial have a Cork-based one on offer. I bought the Dublin night-tour one myself earlier this year to try my hand at long exposure shots, but probably would have been better to start off with a basic course!!!:)

DubDJ wrote: »
    Always wanted to pick up a decent DSLR and this has me very tempted. Seems really good at that price and with only 10 left in stock I'm not sure what to do. It's a toughy. Anybody gotten photo examples?

check out a few I took on dublinphotographyonline.com with my 1100 in the botanic gardens.

g0g wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a course it's also worth keeping an eye on http://www.dealpage.ie/ each day to see if there are any cheap ones going. They crop up every now and then. At the moment livingsocial have a Cork-based one on offer. I bought the Dublin night-tour one myself earlier this year to try my hand at long exposure shots, but probably would have been better to start off with a basic course!!!:)

general feing on the photography forum is to save your money.
    nothing Google, practice and joining A camera club won't be teach you.
    the forum offers a lot of help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just be careful with some of the DX stuff, bought a filter from them before and the threads were damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

As of 5 minutes ago its gone. Was gonna sleep on it, guess I slept too long :(

whats the likely hood of them stocking them again? I was going to purchase last night but like others I decided to sleep on it, wish I didn't now:(

whats the likely hood of them stocking them again? I was going to purchase last night but like others I decided to sleep on it, wish I didn't now:(

people haven't learnt. never sleep on a bargain.

• Advertisement

zero19 wrote: »
    Just be careful with some of the DX stuff, bought a filter from them before and the threads were damaged.

buy a hama filter and you won't go wrong. it will also protect your lense as well as filtering.

Advertisement