Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The point I was trying to get to (unsuccessfully) is if they had never signed to a label would they have lasted long enough and had enough success to become some of the biggest bands in the world.

Do you think the record company model is sustainable in the age of the download and social media? Behemoths in the last throes of their downfall imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you think the record company model is sustainable in the age of the download and social media? Behemoths in the last throes of their downfall imho.

It's not about what generation a band happens to be making music in. When it comes down to it artists when they reach a certain level will need the financial muscle of a record company for PR, touring and studio costs, technicians, advertising etc.

It's not about what generation a band happens to be making music in. When it comes down to it artists when they reach a certain level will need the financial muscle of a record company for PR, touring and studio costs, technicians, advertising etc.

And then they reach this level....

http://i.imgur.com/Mx9gBdw.png

PR/advertising often = telling people what they should be listening to. We need that clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I think someone needs to hold a tutorial seasion on how to beat the block :)

Im grand with torrents but if i suddenly woke up couldnt get onto a site id be scratching my head haha

And then they reach this level....

http://i.imgur.com/Mx9gBdw.png

PR/advertising often = telling people what they should be listening to. We need that clearly.

Go on then, form a band, refuse to sign a record deal of any sort and see how far you get on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Go on then, form a band, refuse to sign a record deal of any sort and see how far you get on your own.

Adebisi Shank have done very well doing things on there own terms over the past several years.

Go on then, make a carriage that isn't pulled by a horse and see how far you get on your own.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Adebisi Shank have done very well doing things on there own terms over the past several years.

They still had label support (Richter Collective)

Go on then, make a carriage that isn't pulled by a horse and see how far you get on your own.

Care to explain what you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Not really, in terms of making it big though.

I think it's only reasonable to accept that torrents are changing music. Sure, it's more accessible, and it's easier to have 10,000 tracks in your bedroom, but it's not necessarily to the benefit of creating musical heroes, or consistency, or maintaining quality for example.

Of course there are positives to free downloads. But just like with any industry, you can't just expect to rip the funding out of music and expect no repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

I'm with three & I was wondering when they do eventually block TPB, could I be kicked off the network for accessing it using proxies or other methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They still had label support (Richter Collective)

That was their own label and I wouldn't call Richter Collective a major label now or neither Sargent House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

It may be an outdated model that needs to change but having all music and movies pirated and available on line for free isn't sustainable either.

Care to explain what you mean by this?

Clinging to outdated technology and business models is like claiming that there is only one way to do things. My analogy alluded to the fact that horseless carriages were widely ridiculed.

The inconsistency of the models now is absurd. I can play a song all day on Grooveshark but to download it is illegal. It is no wonder people cannot see the differences in the business models and have started to regard music as a free commodity.

It may be an outdated model that needs to change but having all music and movies pirated and available on line for free isn't sustainable either.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 grossed $241,071,802

I see what you mean. Unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whos saying thats how it should be?
    Theres countless studies out there showing if people were given reasonable ways to access their movies/music/tv with reasoanble subscription based model that they would pay for it over pirating it. Spotifys success proves this.
    Yes Netflix is ok for tv and movies but its still not good enough and outside the US its a fucking joke.
    I want to be able to watch a movie in my home the day it releases in a cinema and i will happily pay for it. The same with TV i refuse to wait months and in some pathetic cases up to a year for my favorite shows to air on tv stations i have access to or be "allowed" on irish Netflix.
    Until that kind of service is available to me i will stream and "pirate" cus i dont think these companies deserve my money for the lazy ass way they go about business

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is it?

Yes, it is. Yes, all they store are torrent files, and they hold no copyrighted material themselves, this i know. I also know however that i can use these torrent files to get a shiny new video for free, zip, nada.

If i hold phones in my home, used as a link between junkies and drug dealers, but hold no drugs in my house, i'm still liable for facilitation!
    So websites are responsible for the content their users post links to - fine. All community sites are now illegal and should be shut down - at the request of corporations and to the detriment of peoples freedom.

I have no issue with freedom of information, provided the information being distributed is indeed free.
    You can't rip people off and hide behind the "help help i'm being oppressed!" argument.
    If you should have paid for something and you didn't, its theft, plain and simple.

The pirate bay isn't a community.

They have discussion boards but this is limited to posts of "Cam vid, little shaky, A8/10, V5/10, thanks uploader!" This type of discussion can hardly be called a community, as discussion never goes any further than that.

Websites are indeed responsible for what their users post. Boards.ie is a prime example of this, if anyone posts illegal crap, they have a responsibility to take it down, else they are liable. This is fact, and enforced by the moderation team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Yes, it is. Yes, all they store are torrent files, and they hold no copyrighted material themselves, this i know. I also know however that i can use these torrent files to get a shiny new video for free, zip, nada.

If i hold phones in my home, used as a link between junkies and drug dealers, but hold no drugs in my house, i'm still liable for facilitation!

Yeah, they could arrest you and put you in prison. A dangerous person off the streets I'm sure. Meanwhile, drug dealing and drug taking continues unabated and indifferent. Maybe the authorities can put in some kind of system that causes phones to hang up whenever words like 'heroin' or 'mushrooms' are mentioned, too.

Websites are indeed responsible for what their users post. Boards.ie is a prime example of this, if anyone posts illegal crap, they have a responsibility to take it down, else they are liable. This is fact, and enforced by the moderation team.
    Google are also liable for this. Their takedown policy is ineffective in beating back this tide and they know it. Why not try to sue Google, too? They're possibly the greatest facilitator of all. Why not try to throttle certain protocols? Why not try to do something of actual consequence instead of looking like a bunch of out of touch Luddites?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

Not much but something to in someway resist this. Please sign, it might help.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Free_access_to_the_internet_in_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Did any one get a letter from IRMA/Eircom over been caught illegally downloading music via torrent ?

Yes I personally know someone who got a letter as per the "three strike" rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

https://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/status/161600885435281409
    Seán Sherlock @seansherlocktd There is no intention by the government to introduce legislation to block access to the Internet or sites. I have state that unambiguously.
    12:07 AM - 24 Jan 2012

https://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/statuses/161613097763733504
    how? How bout. No we will not legislate to block your access to websites. Keep searching. Eu law upholds your right to do so

https://twitter.com/seansherlocktd/statuses/161605870420099072
    you should then read my press releases. But I will provide further clarity. No sane person would seek to censor Internet.

Just parts of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The parts of it that flout copyright law yes...

Yes.
    Just parts of it..

The only surprise is that it's taken so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So, could the EU overrule this decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

miralize wrote: »

No i dont think so. I read somewhere in another article that The EU ruling was to prevent ISPs from blocking or throttling customers' access to services that rival their own, it doesn't include website blocking of allegedly copyright infringing sites.

http://www.zdnet.com/sorry-folks-eu-net-neutrality-plans-wont-kill-website-blocking-7000016454

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

miralize wrote: »
    This is why the High Court ruling is so perplexing.

It was previously believed that the CJEU had rules that any preventive monitoring and ongoing observation of electronic communications that were conducted on an ISP's network could easily be argued to be in breach the Electronic Commerce Directive.

The EU Courts also said that an ISP could only be required to install this sort of site-blocking if maintaining the block were (i) fair, (ii) proportional and (iii) not excessively complicated or costly.

Now you might say 'fair enough, this must not be a significant burden on UPC or Eircom, so putting this burden on them is legally acceptable'. But here's the thing.

Before the CJEU came to that decision, UPC and Eircom were before the Irish Courts, arguing that this was an unreasonable, expensive, cumbersome, ongoing burden.

And despite knowing the CJEU ruling on this, they have now suddenly dropped that argument. It's all quite odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Jericho. wrote: »

IRMA has never heard of a proxy server, have they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We should all donate, to fund a case to block google on the same grounds :D

Advertisement